Topic: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed.

As the title states. I'm looking at a Fender blues deluxe tweed on eBay
currently it's reasonably cheap with no reserve and looks quite mint.
Just wondered what the general thoughts are on these as never owned
a fender amp at all. Cheers. Nick.

Gibson Les Paul Standard-Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II Pickups, JB Gibson Les Paul Standard, Epiphone ES-335 Deluxe, Fender American Stratocaster-Gold Lace Sensor Pickups. JB Fuzz Face, JB FET, Tube Screamer, Crybaby Classic Wah, Marshall TSL 602 Combo, Marshall Class 5,

Re: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed.

I have the TWEED model and really like it. Seems to be a good amp overall.

I hate spring reverb so I keep the reverb off but I've noticed you do get a slight bit of natural reverb that I'm guessing is due to the cabinet shape/construction itself. You won't notice it tho if you use a reverb pedal in place tho.

From the YouTube comparisons I've watched, I think the Tweeds "upgraded" speaker is a little sweeter than the normal model's speaker.

Some people say those amps sound too boxy, whatever that means. I don't care, I like it.

3 (edited by helrazr84 2014-02-06 14:18:40)

I'm sorry, I misread and was thinking the Tweed Blues Jr.

I only have the hotrod version of the blue deluxe. One w the red tolex. It has a Celestion speaker so not sure if that's an upgrade or not- I bought it used.

As far as that amp, I really like it too. Very loud but still sounds good at low volume. It's a little more forgiving than a Marshall and some amps. Seems to have a little more compression.

Hi, I had one but I upgraded the stock speaker ( a much needed mod) to a weber. It transformed the amp 100 percent. Mark.

helrazr84 wrote:

I'm sorry, I misread and was thinking the Tweed Blues Jr.

I only have the hotrod version of the blue deluxe. One w the red tolex. It has a Celestion speaker so not sure if that's an upgrade or not- I bought it used.

As far as that amp, I really like it too. Very loud but still sounds good at low volume. It's a little more forgiving than a Marshall and some amps. Seems to have a little more compression.

That's ok no worries. Hear great things about the blues junior. I know there's alot of love for them on this forum. I've seen comparisons on YouTube of the hot rod version and the tweed reissue. Both sound pretty good to my ears. As I stated I'm a Marshall man so this is new territory to me. Just caught my eye on eBay. Currently no bids and at £299GBP. Which seems cheap. I'll keep watching and see if I can get a steal last minute.

Gibson Les Paul Standard-Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II Pickups, JB Gibson Les Paul Standard, Epiphone ES-335 Deluxe, Fender American Stratocaster-Gold Lace Sensor Pickups. JB Fuzz Face, JB FET, Tube Screamer, Crybaby Classic Wah, Marshall TSL 602 Combo, Marshall Class 5,

^^ I'd say give it a shot. They obviously do sound considerably different than a Marshall but still good. Plenty of volume, and a nice clean platform for pedals- good all around amp. I don't get caught up in the whole "only the US made ones are good" ordeal. If it sounds good, rock it.

I dont think you can go wrong with a Tweed Fender. Nice fat cleans and like Seth said - a good platform for pedals...go for it.

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

I'm currently using a fender blues deluxe. It's brilliant!

For years I had a HotRod deluxe, an amp with a great clean channel but 'too clean' for me & the drive channel never sounded good...

The Blues deluxe is much better on both these points. The drive channel just seems to be smoother/more musical. And the clean channel is kind of erm, softer...

Plus Tweed always looks cool!

Here's my signal chain

Gibson les Paul
Polytune mini
Hendrix Fuzzface mini
Cae wah
Strymon möbius (pre)
Xotic BB preamp clone by Caline (amazing pedal for £50!!)
Suhr Riot
Tc Spark boost mini
Strymon möbius (post)
Flashback x4 (hoping to upgrade to timeline soon)
Fender Blues Deluxe

I had one for awhile and it was overly bright.

I just sold one of these on ebay last night, the smoky tweed with jensen speaker. It's a great sounding amp but i've just ordered a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. This is the amp I should have bought  years ago. I was always a Fender amp guy, went over to Marshall for a while but soon came back to Fender. They are such a great platform for pedals, the blues deluxe included, it's essentially a hot rod deluxe without the more drive option.

Check out the Chromedome modded Blues Junior. I have a bunch of good pedals but don't use em, maybe just a little delay. You just don't need pedals with this amp, it's outstanding with its articulate cleans & monster overdrive, all very sensitive with a small turn of your volume. You gotta play one to hear what I'm talking about. It's refreshing to go from guitar straight into amp, plain & simple. Chromedomeaudio.com
No, I don't work for the guy.