1 (edited by PoppaPlayedAGibson 2014-01-08 21:17:59)

Topic: Are Epiphone LP's Worth It For Beginners ?

I have been looking at some Epiphone LP's and some of them seem to be pretty nice for the price.
Some say that some of em' sound as good if not better than the Gibsons.

Would like to get some opinions from people who know about em'.

Are they good?
What years are the best?
Do they hold up well if taken care or properly?
Does where or when it was manufactured matter?
Could one be upgraded to be close to Gibson quality?
What do I want to look for in order to get a quality one?

These questions are purely for knowledge, I have no intention of buying one. I am however in the market for a electric guitar and I would be considered a total newbie as far as playing goes. I do like the looks of the Epiphones but in the same token looks can be very deceiving.

Any information or thoughts would be nice as I may make buying decisions based on opinions from experts.

Thanks

Re: Are Epiphone LP's Worth It For Beginners ?

I have a epiphone les paul and love it! I have only been playing for about 6 months or so now and it has been a great beginner electric guitar. When deciding what kind of electric guitar I wanted to buy I was talking to someone with knowledge of guitars and such and they told me some of the nicer epiphones are better than the cheaper gibsons. I suggest them, especially for beginners!

3 (edited by PoppaPlayedAGibson 2014-01-08 21:39:37)

edragoo wrote:

I have a epiphone les paul and love it! I have only been playing for about 6 months or so now and it has been a great beginner electric guitar. When deciding what kind of electric guitar I wanted to buy I was talking to someone with knowledge of guitars and such and they told me some of the nicer epiphones are better than the cheaper gibsons. I suggest them, especially for beginners!

Thanks edragoo,

Can you elaborate more on what you like about yours such as:

Quality of construction (woods used , finish ect.)
Where it was made (if that matters)
Hardware (pickups, bridge, frets, pots & ect.)
Sound Quality compared to Gibsons (close , better ,worse)

Thanks

Hi,

I think you should also consider a Paul Reed Smith SE. They are similar in price but I personally think they are made better under better quality control. Check them out. They make a single cut which is like the LP.

Matt

It has a mahogany body with a AAA flame maple veneer, cherry burst. It also has rosewood fingerboard and two Probucker humbucking pickups. Nickel hardware, gloss finish. Not sure where it was made, I bought it at a local Guitar Center. Not quite sure on the sound quality compared to a Gibson, i've never really played a Gibson unless visiting a Guitar Center LOL. Overall it's a great guitar that has been nothing but good to me, stays in tune very well also!

6 (edited by PoppaPlayedAGibson 2014-01-08 22:19:39)

edragoo wrote:

It has a mahogany body with a AAA flame maple veneer, cherry burst. It also has rosewood fingerboard and two Probucker humbucking pickups. Nickel hardware, gloss finish. Not sure where it was made, I bought it at a local Guitar Center. Not quite sure on the sound quality compared to a Gibson, i've never really played a Gibson unless visiting a Guitar Center LOL. Overall it's a great guitar that has been nothing but good to me, stays in tune very well also!

Thanks Again edragoo,

Nice to know it stays in tune good, so many cheaper guitars do have a problem with that.

I have been looking at the various Epiphone Custom models & I really like the Les Paul Custom Pro Plus in the Vintage Sunburst color. I also like the Cherry Burst color like yours. There are a lot of nice colors to choose from. For solid colors the Cardinal Red Color looks nice and so does the Black Cherry. Plenty of nice colors to pick.

Build quality and sound would be the most important to me though, so that would be the first things I would be looking for if I were to buy one of em'.

Thanks

7 (edited by PoppaPlayedAGibson 2014-01-08 22:28:27)

BluesCrazy wrote:

Hi,

I think you should also consider a Paul Reed Smith SE. They are similar in price but I personally think they are made better under better quality control. Check them out. They make a single cut which is like the LP.

Matt

Thanks Matt, I will have a look at those. I am in no big hurry to buy yet as I want to learn more first so I will be able to make the right choice when the time comes.

Kind Of Funny, I said I wouldn't consider buying anything but a Gibson LP or a Fender Telecaster, now I am finding myself looking at other alternatives ! LOL

So I guess I am having a little bit more of an open mind and I do need to consider that with my price range of $700.00 to $800.00 I won't get the best but I can still get good if I use my brain and don't jump in to quickly.

Thanks

Bump, any more Epiphone LP experts, I'm all ears ! See my questions above and give me some more details or thoughts if you will.

Thanks

Not a player either but have had good and bad experiences with Epiphone. My son bought a Dot 335 Epi for about $400 new and it was crap. It would of made good kindling for the fire that was about 10 years ago. Recently bought the Joe B signature to raffle off and of course not the quality of the Custom Shop model you couldn't tell the difference between it and the Standard Gibson. If that is any indication of the current Epi quality I would say the only reason not to buy one is if you are a gigging musician and were just too proud to play one on stage.

10 (edited by PoppaPlayedAGibson 2014-01-09 07:10:28)

@BluesCrazy,

Hey man , thanks for pointing me to the PRS SE Guitars, I really like em'. I could see maybe going with one of those. I'll keep doing more research on em' as well as the others I am interested in. I never knew hardly a thing about these PRS until you told me about em'

I dug out my book that I have had forever called "Electric Guitars - An Illustrated Encyclopedia" which has over 1200 pics and about 320 Pages of great info on every brand imaginable and the players who used em'. I am going to be doing some reading in this book.

I notice that in this book the brands with the most pages are Gibson , Gretch ,Fender , Martin , Rickenbacker and guess what , you got it, PRS (Paul Reed Smith). It seems that these are some of the most popular. Epiphone is up there too but PRS looks to be a little more popular.

Thanks

11 (edited by dknight16 2014-01-09 19:37:06)

There are some really good Epi LPs out there.  Especially now that some come with premium pickups (especially artist signature models from the likes of Joe Bonamassa, Slash, Zakk Wylde, etc.). Focus on the Standards or Deluxe models rather than the cheaper Studios, Specials, and Juniors.

I have an Epi JB, and the ZW.  My son has a Standard from the mid or late 90's (can't remember the date) that we had Seymour Duncan pickups installed and it sound terrific.

Make sure you see and strum it in person, as quality control can vary quite a bit with Epis.  But without a doubt there are some very good ones to be had.

PRS SEs feel very different than a LP.  Their neck shape is not for everyone.  However, their quality control is excellent.  They are typically more expensive than an Epi LP.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

12 (edited by PoppaPlayedAGibson 2014-01-10 05:17:54)

dknight16 wrote:

Focus on the Standards or Deluxe models rather than the cheaper Studios, Specials, and Juniors. But without a doubt there are some very good ones to be had.

PRS SEs feel very different than a LP.  Their neck shape is not for everyone.  However, their quality control is excellent.  They are typically more expensive than an Epi LP.

Thanks dknight16,

That's exactly what I am focusing on is from standard up in quality. The Traditional's are nice and some of the Ultra's are very nice and even have Gibson Pickups factory installed on some of em'. big_smile

I like the looks of the PRS SE's but like you say, most of them have a price tag of a couple hundred more than the Epiphone LP in most cases. But then again , you get what you pay for basically. However, some of the PRS's are right in my price ranges.

I'm definitely not going to count either one of those out in my search for electric guitars but I am going to be careful as to what I decide on because I don't want to jump in too fast and get something I hate and then have to go through the hassle of trying to re-sale the damn thing. LOL.

I still like the idea of owning a genuine Gibson though, so if I get any other brand it's going to have to be a good playing and sounding one and decent build quality.

Another thing, I am only looking on ebay & web sites for research, I don't think it's smart to buy one off ebay when you don't know what your going to end up with. Kind of scares me , the talk of fakes going around and such.

Plus your taking the risk of damage in shipping and all. Seen quite a few with broken necks at the nut on Ebay from bad packaging and rough handling in shipping. IMO better to buy at a local shop as the guitars are inspected and set up at the shops before you take it home. And you get to try before you buy and that has been stressed to me a lot by you fine people.

I would trust buying from people on THIS SITE for the most part I think but there's a lot of garbage out there in cyber space if you don't play your cards right.

Better safe than sorry I would think. Does anyone have opinions on buying through Ebay?

Thanks for the responses everybody and hope to get more from you good people, if you got anything to say , offer it up , I'm all ears ! smile

13 (edited by airportdon 2014-01-10 08:06:06)

PoppaPlayedAGibson wrote:
dknight16 wrote:

Focus on the Standards or Deluxe models rather than the cheaper Studios, Specials, and Juniors. But without a doubt there are some very good ones to be had.

Thanks dknight16,

That's exactly what I am focusing on is from standard up in quality. The Traditional's are nice and some of the Ultra's are very nice and even have Gibson Pickups factory installed on some of em'. big_smile

I like the looks of the PRS SE's but like you say, most of them have a price tag of a couple hundred more than the Epiphone LP in most cases. But then again , you get what you pay for basically. However, some of the PRS's are right in my price ranges.

I'm definitely not going to count either one of those out in my search for electric guitars but I am going to be careful as to what I decide on because I don't want to jump in too fast and get something I hate and then have to go through the hassle of trying to re-sale the damn thing. LOL.

I still like the idea of owning a genuine Gibson though, so if I get any other brand it's going to have to be a good playing and sounding one and decent build quality.

Another thing, I am only looking on ebay & web sites for research, I don't think it's smart to buy one off ebay when you don't know what your going to end up with. Kind of scares me , the talk of fakes going around and such.

Plus your taking the risk of damage in shipping and all. Seen quite a few with broken necks at the nut on Ebay from bad packaging and rough handling in shipping. IMO better to buy at a local shop as the guitars are inspected and set up at the shops before you take it home. And you get to try before you buy and that has been stressed to me a lot by you fine people.

I would trust buying from people on THIS SITE for the most part I think but there's a lot of garbage out there in cyber space if you don't play your cards right.

Better safe than sorry I would think. Does anyone have opinions on buying through Ebay?

Thanks for the responses everybody and hope to get more from you good people, if you got anything to say , offer it up , I'm all ears ! smile

Most buyers are protrected on Ebay...so yes your safe to buy on there with Paypal as the extra safety backup as well.

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

Always been elighted with my JB Epi great finish and tone. I have also been impressed with some of the Vintage range especially the artist models. Just try before you buy if possible. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Welcome Alabama Boy, sometimes I wish I was in Montana, lol. My son bought a new Epi LP standard about 5 years ago, he likes it a lot. The only thing he did was change out the pickups to EMG Zakk Wyldes. From what others are saying I think playing it first is a must. Good luck with it.

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Something I learned, I think it was from a Gary Moore interview, play the guitar unplugged first.  This will be an indicator of the quality of that instrument.  You should play many before you buy.

I have a Gibson JB Studio and an Epi '57 re-issue.  Similar quality, but the Gibson does feel a bit better overall.  I also have a Squier Stratocaster that, at 1/3 the cost of my Gibson, feels even better.  It may not be the better guitar but for me it has the better feel, tone and playability.  Versatility of my Strat is also a bonus.  But these are all personal things.  That is why you need to play as many as you can.  Play guitars you don't think you would like!  It will either confirm your first thoughts on that guitar or open your eyes to some guitars you never though of before.

Have fun with it!  But beware...Gear Acquisition Syndrome is a reality.

Steve

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio...among others.
Beacon Theater, New York, May 18, 2013/Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea, Feb. 17-21, 2015/3 Kings Tour, Bangor, ME, Aug. 12, 2015

17 (edited by BluesCrazy 2014-01-11 19:33:49)

My pleasure happy to help out. Ebay is pretty good I have had good luck buying from ebay. I would also check out Gbase as well. Always a good selection on Gbase.

Matt

PoppaPlayedAGibson wrote:

@BluesCrazy,

Hey man , thanks for pointing me to the PRS SE Guitars, I really like em'. I could see maybe going with one of those. I'll keep doing more research on em' as well as the others I am interested in. I never knew hardly a thing about these PRS until you told me about em'

I dug out my book that I have had forever called "Electric Guitars - An Illustrated Encyclopedia" which has over 1200 pics and about 320 Pages of great info on every brand imaginable and the players who used em'. I am going to be doing some reading in this book.

I notice that in this book the brands with the most pages are Gibson , Gretch ,Fender , Martin , Rickenbacker and guess what , you got it, PRS (Paul Reed Smith). It seems that these are some of the most popular. Epiphone is up there too but PRS looks to be a little more popular.

Thanks

18 (edited by PoppaPlayedAGibson 2014-01-20 09:26:36)

Thanks again everyone, I think I am on track now that I have took some time and done some research. I have been reading a lot and watching some youtube vids on what to look for as well and a lot of people are recommending to buy good used 70's and 80's guitars made in USA, Korea, Tia land & Mexico as well as they are some of the best built guitars.

I have been looking at a few older 80's models Harmony and Martin Electrics as well, the price is good on em' and some of em' look to be really well made. Good starter guitars.

I am looking at a lot of brands including what you all are recommending and I am taking it slow and easy until I find "the one".

I have also purchased Rocksmith 2014 ahead of time as I intend to use it as a learning tool to get familiar with the guitar and there are many great reviews on how well it works. But like a lot have said Rocksmith is a good tool but you have to put a lot in to it no matter how you go about learning to get anything out of it. Practice, Practice & more Practice!

I feel I am ready to start playing now, I'm not getting any younger & I do have my mind set on learning to play as I have always wanted to play guitar.

If I can get even half as good as my Pop was I will be a happy guy !