Topic: Joe at the Cellar in Struthers

What a fun ride we've had this last 6 weeks with Joe.  My daughter and I have had the pleasure of seeing the first concert in Elgin, then Grand Rapids, Columbus last week, and ended with last nights performance at the Cellar.  What a great way to spend time with my daughter, before she's off to collage.  Good people, GREAT music and lot's of fun.

I must say it is the smallest venue I have ever seen Joe play in!!   His fans from all over are amazing people.  I had the honer of meeting several people seeing Joe for the first time, and they fell in love instantly.  Some of the fans were a little restless durring the 2nd bands performance, as they had expected Joe to come on at 9, not 10.  But once he got on stage, as always, he delivered an amazing performance.  He took me a little by suprise by his verbal interaction with the fans, who LOVED it!!!!  I don't think I've ever seen him talk to the cowd so much.  The sound was a little off, maybe because of the low basement ceilings, but his fans didn't seem to mind at all.

It was nice to see the growth with the new grouping of band members, from the first appearance together in Elgin, to this one in Struthers.  Love the new music.  Sloe Gin is my new favorite.

We waited around hoping to say good bye, but never got the chance.  Sadly, this was the last concert my daughter and I will go to together, for a long time, as her life takes off in a new direction.

Thanks for the great times Joe,

mom and miss d

Re: Joe at the Cellar in Struthers

Thanks so much for posting. It's nice to hear Joe is still having fun. What great memories for you and your daughter!! My eldest granddaughter's graduation is Monday! She's a great kid, but where did the time go!!!! It's not the same as going to the show but keep coming back to read the reviews from all over the world. It's great stuff!!!    Cathy

Congrats to your grandaughter Cathy!!  It's very rewarding to see your children, and their children be strong and successful in life.
Have you  been to any of Joe's concerts lately?  Have you taken your family members to any?  What's one of the best memories you have of Joe's playing?
My kids have their own taste in music, and it was fun to expose them to some 'rocken blues' performed by one of the greatest artists I have ever seen.
Though I am still the major blues fan in the family, my daughter did make some very good friends along the way and has a better appreciation for 'moms music'.

Hi Stark. Well #1 is graduated. 2 more to go. But her mother and I are determined to break the cycle of motherhood at 20!! I'm feeling good about this one. I've always shared music with my family (and friends). Can't help it(lol). But, I've let them find their own way, and I will listen to their tunes. And believe me they run the gambit!! I feel the emotions that music  taps into can only be ones we have experienced. Hopefully, their lives are still simple enough to be in a "happy place". I'm a Blues/rock fan like you. I'll bet you understand the way a great blues guitar solo makes you feel!! Yeap, I don't think they're ready for that yet!! My best Joe show has to be the recent one in Hagerstown. It was made great by sharing it with other Bonamaniacs!!  I don't want to be the grown-up when it's my music! So, don't have empty nest. Find the next Joe show you can attend, get a Joe shirt, go early and look for the other shirts (upfront of course!). It's all good from then.....Cathy

Cathy,
Sounds like you are a great mom and grandma.  What plans does your grand daughter have now that she is a graduate?
And yes, I absolutely know how a great blues guitar solo makes you feel!!  Mountain time brings tears to my eyes.  It's such a beautiful song.  I only have the live version, and can't make out all of the lyrics.  Do you know if there is a studio recorded version of it?  Or where I can get the lyrics to it?
We bought tickets to the 11/1 show at the house of blues in Cleveland the day they came on sale!  I'll never stop going to the shows, and maybe if I'm lucky, my daughter can tear herself away from a hectic college schedule, to come to the show with me.
Hagerstown sounds like it was a lot of fun!   I do need to get a shirt, love the new one that just came out.
you take care, and we'll meet up at a Joe show soon.
Susan

starks5867 wrote:

Mountain time brings tears to my eyes.  It's such a beautiful song.  I only have the live version, and can't make out all of the lyrics.  Do you know if there is a studio recorded version of it?  Or where I can get the lyrics to it?

Mountain Time was originally recorded on "So It's Like That".  Great song for sure, my son's favorite.

Here ya go Susan:

You drive West on 80 and it won’t take too long,
‘Til the road starts climbing up to mountain time.
There’s a girl I know there, she lives free and easy,
And she shows me wonders and she takes my mind.

And she’s wild as eagles,
She’s as sweet as honeysuckle,
Her life’s flowing like a mountain stream.
And she takes me somewhere,
And it’s good to be there,
And she pulls me into her bright golden wing.

Now I hate the city and I love the country,
And I love that feeling on that mountain high.
And that girl is waiting, but she won’t wait too long,
So I drive all night to that clear blue sky.

I can feel it in the wind blow…
I can feel love flow…
And I’ll be there when the morning comes, yeah.

(Lead Break)

Bright golden wing…

Bright golden wing…

Music is good for the Soul...

Thank you, for the lyrics David!  I just ordered the 'So It's Like That' CD.  I can't wait to hear the studio version.
did Joe write the music and lyrics for this?

Jane, the live lyrics are different, that second verse is tough.  There were a lot of great suggestions in your post.  Has anyone had the chance to ask Joe himself?  I must admit, I'm pretty tongue tied when I do make it up through the line of fans to thank him for his incredible performances, but maybe if I get the chance when he's in Cleveland we can solve the mystery.

starks5867 wrote:

Thank you, for the lyrics David!  I just ordered the 'So It's Like That' CD.  I can't wait to hear the studio version.
did Joe write the music and lyrics for this?

Mountain Time is an original song by Joe.  I got the lyrics off of Stu's great fan website.  Great CD, you will enjoy it for sure...

I am unfamiliar with "Stu's great fan website".  How do I check it out?

Hi Stark, it's Cathy. I don't have Jane's skills but if you go to the thread "Monday/Tuesday Chats, under General Topics, that will direct you to the Joe Bonamassa Fan site where the chats are held. It was a precurser to this site and it is well tended by Stu Craig.

Stark:  Here's an easier way:

http://bonamassabluesrock.com/

Enjoy...and come join us in the chat room on Monday and Tuesday nights, around 8:30 EST.

P.S.  FYI: I don't love the studio version of Mountain Time anywhere near as much as I love the live versions...to me it's a whole different song.

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

CarljMD wrote:

P.S.  FYI: I don't love the studio version of Mountain Time anywhere near as much as I love the live versions...to me it's a whole different song.

Yes, the live version comes across with so much feeling.  It truly moves me, every single time I hear it.  I never get tired of it.  It is just so beautiful.
I think I saw a video of Joe, saying much the same thing, that he loves the live performances, because it's always different, and he can work toward that perfect performance, but once laid down in the studio, it's done and complete.

Thanks for the link, and the chat invite, I will definitely pop in.  That site is amazing!  whoever Stu is, he is an absolute Joe Bonamassa fan.  It's pretty incredible.  I can't wait to spend some time going through all of the information!!!!
susan

Hey Susan, Stu Craig is the main man behind the official fan website.  He use to be the street team cooridinator and kept his site up to date when this one wasn't.   There is some great info on his site.

I much prefer Mountain Live too vs. the studio album.

14 (edited by starks5867 2007-06-21 18:36:00)

David,
I've been in that site since I recieved the link.  I have never seen Joe in a video when he was young!!  He is just too cute!  It's amazing.  How much talent he had, and BB King said he would be a legend before he was 25..........look at him now.
Do you think this next CD will make EVERYONE aware of what we already know?
Sloe Gin, when he played it in Elgin (first time) made us just stop, lean forward in our seats, look at each other, and smile.  Incredible.  We actually held our breath as we listened to this song. 
You do not see talent like that often in a lifetime,
Susan

starks5867 wrote:

You do not see talent like that often in a lifetime,
Susan

Susan, you could not have said it better.  Some on this forum has seen Hendrix, Duane, SRV and others which were some of the best of the best.  For us to see Joe today, we cannot take for granted what we are seeing and hearing.  Joe is that good...

How about you?  Have you seen some of those artists you mentioned?
I saw Carlos Santana play in the old Cleveland Stadium.  But that was just one night, and the venue was so large, you could hear the music, but not really see the artists.
I have never followed an artist around.  But I just can't stop going now.  One concert I was standing directly in front of Joe, right at the barrier in front of the stage.  I have always loved the sound, but when you see him play each note, on all of the different guitars, you get a whole new appreciation. 
As great as it will be for Joe, I kind of dread the day he packs huge concert halls, and we are so far away we can barely see him.