Topic: Joe at the Newport Blues Cafe Newport RI 06-12-07

Now that was fun!!

Joe and the boys put on a terrific show last night at this great club. The crowd was into it, the band fed off the energy of the crowd, all around a great show. This was my fifth Joe show and I must truthfully say, the best I have witnessed. Joe seems much more comfortable with the crowd, things don't seemed too forced, and he reacts really well to their reactions. He plays, the crowd reacts, he intensifies a little more, they react more, and on and on.

THe thing that really impressed me was that although I had been listening to the recordings of the IMAC show of 6/1/07 and the Bull Run show of 6/5/07, they couldn't convey the energy that was present in his performance that you can only witness seeing him. Not to say that the recorded performances weren't great, but to see him put his heart into his playing just blew me awaay.

I had one freind with me who was having his "Bonaptism" and another that had seen him in 2002 with me, and they were both blown away. One of them was totally entranced with Bogie's playing, and had a religious experience with his solo. As he said to Bogie afterwards, "I can tell you that I play the drums, but you my freind are a drummer!"

I was tallking with Rick after the show and told hhim how nice it was to see the addition of the keybords. I have always said that was the final touch that waas needed and that they seem to be really enjoying themselves. He said that is because they re having so much fun playing together. They really were. You would see little smirks going back and forth amongst them when there was a little improvisation or cahnge-up on a song. Bogie looked like he was having the best time in the world. It was great as he got near the end of his solo and started looking around with a smile like "Little help here guys, I'm running out of steam here. Wanna come back on stage?"

Set list was basically the same as the previous few shows, but some of the songs seemed a little longer, I know Bogie's solo sure was!!

Looking forward to Berklee PC in the fall, I have a feeling that will be major.

If you have any potential candidates for a Bonaptism, get them to a show this round, they will not be disappointed.

2 (edited by susan 2007-06-13 17:28:17)

Re: Joe at the Newport Blues Cafe Newport RI 06-12-07

I cannot tell you how jealous I am of anyone that went to this show.  Joe puts out alot of energy wherever he plays, but isn't this club just the coolest venue?  I hear what you're saying about the recordings.  They are great, but it's nothing like being there and witnessing it first hand.

Anyway,  I'm glad you had fun!!! 

Susan  smile

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

susan wrote:

I cannot tell you how jealous I am of anyone that went to this show.  Joe puts out alot of energy wherever he plays, but isn't this club just the coolest venue?  I hear what you're saying about the recordings.  They are great, but it's nothing like being there and witnessing it first hand.

Anyway,  I'm glad you had fun!!! 

Susan  smile

Susan, I looked at their website and this club reminded me of the Downtown Brewing in SLO except the restaurant was upstairs. Oh yeah, and a lot more upscale looking in RI. TTYL.

Think Green,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

4 (edited by David A. 2007-06-14 06:50:02)

Well said Adavidson, seeing Joe live is totally different than listening to him.  Remember the dead heads who would travel to see the Grateful Dead, there something special about the live shows.  Sounds like another great Joe show...

Music is good for the Soul...

It's great to hear that Joe and the boys are getting better and better with each gig. I was at the Elgin show in May and thought that one was the best I'd seen. From what I'm hearing from you guys I'm thinking that by the time he rolls into Rockford for Labor Day the show will be light years ahead of that. Especially after the CD comes out. I'm hoping Joe adds a couple more songs from it.

Nancy

I'm just saying.

drove last minute from Cape Cod to the show and as always Joe brought the place down.  4th time seeing him and he gets better all the time!  New stuff sounded great....wonderful touches on the old stuff to still sound fresh and completly levelled me with Los Endos!!

My wife and I were 2.5 feet from him standing the whole time and I'm constantly amazed at the zone he gets in while playing.

Venue is the best....saw him at Scullers and I'll take Newport Blues and a few Red Hooks any day!

Thanks Joe!

Thanks to all for posting. We get a little cranky when we don't get fed our review tidbits! Cathy

ohiodawg13 wrote:

Susan, I looked at their website and this club reminded me of the Downtown Brewing in SLO except the restaurant was upstairs. Oh yeah, and a lot more upscale looking in RI. TTYL.

Think Green,

J Dawg

I think this club is a little different feel than SLO.  The layout is completely different.  The stage is right by the door ( or it was a year ago). I don't know if it's the same as last year, but one of the things that set this place apart for me  (besides the sound, which was outstanding)  is the backdrop and stage lighting.  All the performance pictures I've seen from this place really come out nice.  So, did anyone take pictures of the show this year?  Would love to see them.  wink

Susan

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

Just got back to Connecticut from Newport after spending a few days sandwiched around Joe's show at the Newport Blues Cafe. I had a great spot on the stairs leading up to the bar (nearest to the front door). The stage was extended so JB was not more than 5 feet away. The place is just such a great venue and it was packed. People struggled mightily to get to and fro the bar. The set list was basically the same as last week's show at the Ridgefield Playhouse.  Highlights for me were Mountain Time, Burnin' Hell, Just Got Paid / Dazed & Confused. It really doesn't matter what they play.

Stayed at a B&B affiliated with the Cafe (Newport Blues Inn). Had turned on the innkeepers to JB at last year's show. They brought some Bonamassa newbies with them who were completely blown away. There was a buzz on the street the next few days. I ran into a number of people talking about the show.

Hung around for a while after the show and spoke with Carmine and Bogie. Gave them both some great photos taken by Joe Mars at the Ridgefield show last week. Didn't see JB come out front but he may have been back by the bus. Gave Bogie some photos of JB to pass along. Bogie's solo was indeed outstanding and he's just such a great guy to talk with. Yo Bogie - next time you're in New Haven I'll take ya down to Wooster Street for that Italian food you're craving.

I'm currently fighting through the depression that inevitably follows the wicked high of seeing the band live. It never seems to completely go away until I see the next show.

"The Blues are the true facts of life expressed in words and song, inspiration, feeling, and understanding."
Willie Dixon