1 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-05-13 08:08:28)

Topic: Federal Charm

First picked up on these Mancunian scally-wags about a year ago by way of a freebie out of Classic Rock. I thought then that they had “something” so when I saw they were down to support Ryan McGarvey at Hartlepool, thought it was too good to miss.

Unfortunately, that would be like turning up for a NASCAR event in a Honda Civic, and that would be an end of it, except these lads have a Type R. Federal Charm are a gritty 4 piece with twin guitar, sort of a scrappy Thin Lizzy; they’re going to get compared a lot with Albany Down & Temperance Movement, but to me, they’ve got a more raw, almost punky edge similar to Jon Amor’s Blues Group.

They kicked-off with a couple of up-tempo rockers before bringing it down with a slower blues number and not a bad showcase for the guitarists before alternating between fast and slow songs. Certainly can’t go wrong when a Strat plays against a Les Paul. Set rounded off with a riffed-up take on Going Down before Nick, Paul, Danny & LD were called back by the Bell Vue crowd for an encore.

Here's a couple of the songs they did - Vid courtesy of GG -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j7bLMyNwCs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9HYSIiC … mp;index=9

If you’re at any of these events; go early and catch these lads; as I said, raw, but refreshing: there’s a spark there.

1/6 - Stowfest, Ipswich
11/6 - Robin 2, Wolverhampton (with Michael Katon)
13/6 - Picturedome, Holmfirth (with Ian Hunter)
19/7 - 53 Degrees, Preston (with Michael Schenker)
20/7 - Robin 2, Wolverhampton (with Michael Schenker)
27/7 - Blackthorn Festival; Stockport
14/9 - Picturedome, Holmfirth (with Manfred Mann’s Earth band)
22/9 - Pudsey Civic, Leeds Guitar Show
6/11 - Robin 2, Wolverhampton (with Mitch Laddie & Laurence Jones)
9/11 - Holmfirth Blues Splash
10/11 - Manchester Blues Splash
16/11 - Patriot Club; Caerphilly (with Mitch Laddie & Laurence Jones)
21/11 - Beaverwood; Chislehurst (with Mitch Laddie & Laurence Jones)
22/11 - Boom Boom Club, Sutton (with Mitch Laddie & Laurence Jones)
29/11 - Limelight, Aylesbury (with Mitch Laddie & Laurence Jones)

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Federal Charm

Thanks for posting those links.

I too picked up that edition of Classic Rock (Joe's cover edition I believe) and thought their song was a standout on the disc.  Been net surfing info on them ever since.

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

Their website is under construction currently, new album out in June. I was hoping to pick up their E.P. but out of print apparently. Keep an eye on them though.

4 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-04-25 07:59:39)

Been almost a year since I've been able to catch-up with this "frisky foursome" (that's for you, Nick!) in my backyard and once again, they didn't disappoint with their heads down approach and "snap, crackle, pop & wallop" delivery: ideal starters for The Hoax show.

Nick & Paul's fiery twin lead interplay, hammered along by Danny's "Bonzo" style drumming, and L.D. bass stitching it all together (just don't spill his drink!); they just have that mid 70's raw, plug-in and play vibe with a fresh and in-your-face edge. Whether they're rockin' it up with their own stuff or giving standards like Going Down some attitude, the lads are well worth catching.

Currently on the road with The Hoax, they've several Festival appearances (Solid Entertainment gigs) in the UK as well as a few in Greece & Germany:-

Apr 25th The Cluny - Newcastle
Apr 26th ABC2- Glasgow
Apr 27th Lemon Tree- Aberdeen
April 29th Athens Greece
April 30th Athens Greece

May 1st Derby The Flower Pot
May 2nd London 100 club
May 9th Ebbw Vale Beaufort Ballroom
May 10th Yeovil Entertainment Centre
May 11th St Ives Guild Hall.
May 17th Birmingham Scruffy Murphys
May 23rd WinsterFest Peak District

June 6th The Polish Club
June 7th Cropready Arms Oxfordshire
June 11 Rhodes Festival
June 12 Rhodes Festival
June 13 Rhodes Festival
June 14 Rhodes Festival
June 15 Rhodes Festival
June 16 Rhodes Festival
June 17 Rhodes Festival
June 18 Rhodes Festival

June 21 Blues On the Farm Sussex

July 4th Hop Farm fest –tbc
July 18 Friedweld – Germany Festival
July 19 Suhl – Germany Festival

Sept - supporting Ian Hunter
Sept 19th – Portsmouth pyramid centre
Sept 20th – Leamington Spa Assembly
Sept 21st – Lincoln Drill Hall
Sept 23rd – Aberdeen Lemon Tree
Sept 24th – Glasgow the Garage.
Sept 26th – Holmfirth Picturedrome
Sept 27th – Manchester Apollo
Sept 28th – Gateshead Sage
Sept 30th – Milton Keynes Stables
Oct 2nd – Sheffield City Hall
Oct 03rd – Brighton concord 2
Oct 04th – London Shepherds Bush Empire

Saw them last year and was well impressed. Looking forward to seeing them on Sunday.

Caught up with the lads again last night, this time opening for Joanne Shaw Taylor. They must be doing something right to be playing at The Cluny again within a few months.

Think the unusually early start must have caught a few gig-goers out as the lads kicked off their set to an audience of maybe 50, but by the end they'd nearly doubled that number with their brand of no-frills but plenty of thrills, garage rockin' blues. Always good to see a Stratocaster & Les Paul guitar combination and Nick & Paul are a well matched pair with LD & Danny steaming away behind.

Really good, sharp set and these lads "own" Radar Love which gets everyone on their side. If you still haven't caught on to them, watch out for them coming round in the Autumn, fingers crossed, on one particularly "HOT" ticket tour.

BansheeUK wrote:

Caught up with the lads again last night, this time opening for Joanne Shaw Taylor. They must be doing something right to be playing at The Cluny again within a few months.

Think the unusually early start must have caught a few gig-goers out as the lads kicked off their set to an audience of maybe 50, but by the end they'd nearly doubled that number with their brand of no-frills but plenty of thrills, garage rockin' blues. Always good to see a Stratocaster & Les Paul guitar combination and Nick & Paul are a well matched pair with LD & Danny steaming away behind.

Really good, sharp set and these lads "own" Radar Love which gets everyone on their side. If you still haven't caught on to them, watch out for them coming round in the Autumn, fingers crossed, on one particularly "HOT" ticket tour.

Count Duckula ehh.... big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

8 (edited by BansheeUK 2015-09-02 03:00:37)

Album #2 - Across the Divide is now available for pre-order - release early October.

PS - Don't forget; the lads are supporting Joanne Shaw Taylor in the UK; late September and through October....

Sept 19th - Album launch at Dingwalls, Canalside is FREE Entry.  Now you gotta go - and buy a copy......

I had just stumbled across this band via a review and checked them out.Jabe to say they rock!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

My band practise at Pauls rehearsal room in Stockport. He's a nice guy. So I see him every week and I still haven't got a CD off him!? Lol I've been listening to Hercules and it is a definite grower!

My copy of the album arrived Saturday and was soon blastin' out in the car. Across The Divide?  They're certainly narrowing the divide from a good band to a must see; rip it up, great band.

13 (edited by BansheeUK 2016-04-05 05:16:27)

I've been waiting for a chance to see the guys headline a show a show for a while now, especially after missing last year's opportunity, so made sure I had my ticket ready for Friday night. Federal Charm seem to be the perennial "support band", and this gig was a result of them just finishing doing a tour with Teaser, so it was going to be interesting to see how they carried it off.

Needn't have had any trepidation though, they took to the Cluny stage and owned it for the next 90 minutes; the energy level of these lads just never waivered. The only time Paul Bowe on guitar was "still" was when he was using the Wah-wah, otherwise he was strutting and hopping like his feet were on fire (as well as his fingers). Danny Rigg at the back kept pounding away, matched by L.D. Morawski, the combination of which set up juggernaut rhythms as a back drop to Nick Bowden's rhythm guitar and phenomenal vocal prowess; no doubt about it, this boy is developing into a class act; there's a power, feeling and clarity to his delivery that marks him a one to watch. However, they are very much a band, tight, driving, loads of energy and they clearly love what they do; what more could you want? Some great tunes... They got them sorted; Across The Divide was their "coming of age" album, the next one should really blow the water out the pool. The only cover they dropped into Friday's set was Nobody's Fault But Mine, and they aced it.

Nobody's Fault   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQO5YDNdfL0  (Manchester)
Guess What  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCvmO4ktN5w   (Chester)
Silhouette   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkSaF7TbRvc    (Chester)

Playing London Hard Rock Café, 7th April..... £5 advance, £8 on the door;  Smokin' Aces supporting.

Doncaster Leopard On April 8th...

After dipping their toes in the proverbial water, Nick, Paul, LD & Danny are doing their first headlining tour this summer:-

JUNE
Friday 10 Nice & Sleazy - Glasgow
Saturday 11 Gulliver’s - Manchester
Sunday 12 Picturedrome - (support for Inglorious) - Holmfirth
Thursday 30The Maze - Nottingham

JULY
Friday 1 Leopard - Doncaster
Thursday 7 Louisiana - Bristol
Friday 8 Clwb Ifor Bach - Cardiff
Saturday 9 Cavern - Exeter
Wednesday 13 Adelphi - Hull
Thursday 14 The Slade Rooms - Wolverhampton
Friday 15 Railway Inn - Winchester
Saturday 16 Festival - Brewood - SOLD OUT
Wednesday 20 Head of Steam - Newcastle
Thursday 21 Nambucca - London
Friday 22 Crauford Arms - Milton Keynes
Saturday 23 Waterfront -  Norwich

Well worth catching, great energy, giving Blues a punky/garage edge.

Nov 30th
I was really sorry to miss their summer headline tour - usually its these guys that head off to sunnier climes, but I wasn’t going to miss their involvement in this Planet Rock Roadshow tour. One thing I admire about Federal Charm is their persistence in breaking down the Geordie audience and you might as well just admit it, the Fed’s are going to win. Call me mad, but I’ve been listening a lot recently to Humble Pie and the nearest comparison today is Federal Charm: Danny & L.D. provide a supple & powerful backline; Paul is as happy chopping out riffs as he is blazing lead guitar and Nick, equally adept on the Les Paul & Strat has a class voice; more “cheeky Scally” than Marriot’s “Artful Dodger”, but it pins the ears back. Put them together on stage, and their energy & enthusiasm just win everybody over. They are maturing; they’re not afraid of slowing it down when needs be, but it’s never dull (so long as LD has his pint…) and then they lob in a Tom Petty cover just when you think it’s safe. Only downside to their set, 50minutes just isn’t long enough.

Try this, from Robin2, earler in the tour:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpPVfHuQBxc

"Yep! That’s right?

Federal Charm have made the shortlist at this year’s Planet Rock ‘The Rocks’ awards.

Best new band. OFFICIAL!

Vote now to steal the crown : http://www.planetrock.com/on-air/wyatt- … 2017-vote/

Voting closes at 23.59 on Thursday 2 March.

That’s one minute to midnight, this Thursday.

Bless."

Planet Rock for ya..... almost 4 years behind.......

2017 must be the year for moving vocalists round, first Red Butler and now it seems there's change in the Federal Charm camp; Nick has left (no reason given on site, so if anyone knows....) and Tom Guyer taking over.

See you on the road....

18 (edited by BansheeUK 2018-05-21 08:24:07)

Newcastle Cluny2 - 18-5-18

THEY’RE BACK!!!!

Please to report that after re-grouping, re-imagining, re-tooling,  re-energizing, but not re-purposing, Federal Charm are back and out to rock and have a good time doing it. Friday night at The Cluny2 proved most emphatically that they are ready to resume where they left off, and then some.

Along side the “core” of Paul’s powerful Les Paul and L.D’s driving bass, there’s the new powerhouse of Josh Zahler behind the kit and taking over front stage, Tom Guyer’s tungsten tonsils giving the vocals are more outright rock edge. However, unlike predecessor Nick, Tom doesn’t handle 2nd guitar, so a 5th member has been added, to keep that dynamic between Gibson & Fender but with a twist - he also does keys on slower (Federal Charm - slower!?”) numbers, for me, giving the guys a Tonka-era UFO vibe.

One other thing that most definitely hasn’t changed, and that’s the sheer energy that goes into their set and the way they fed of a fairly packed room was great to be a part of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rQjfKhfmnw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXZxzb2CN0I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv8sAArH2qE

Set list (I think...):-
Swing Sinner
Hercules
Master Plan
Choke
Nowhere is Home 
Death Rattle 
Guess What 
Concrete Creature 
The Stray 
Get Through
I Should Have Known It  (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover) 
Reconsider
Silhouette
Lounge Fly
Gotta Give It Up