Topic: Who Bought Bonamassa Tickets Purchased Through PBS?

Well...I find myself a little ticked off at this whole process of dealing through Public Broadcasting Service to get my Bonamassa tickets for his upcoming show on the 8th of May in Montreal. They were the first to put up tickets as it was a promo at the same time donate money towards the station. I thought it was great since it would not only ensure I would have great tickets but donate to the station at the same time. They could not confirm what the tickets would be when I called but promised it would be first rows and center. I ordered these on Sept.27th of last year. I have been so anxious for this show. Was there two years ago but was on the balcony so was excited for this show to be up close. I get an e-mail on this past Thursday (April 18th) stating that there was a mixup on their part and there's a chance some might miss the show. I wrote back to ask what that meant and they said that they ''oversold'' the show and some might not be able to go however, I can and my tickets are on the way. She then gave me my ticket numbers which are no where close to what they stated on the phone. I then realized that by them saying I was one of the lucky ones to go it was there way of making it seem ok to accept the tickets. I end up being seated 16rows back and off to the right. I wrote back and complained and all they replied is, ''we will gladly refund your tickets.'' Well of course you will cause then you have 6 extra tickets to give out to others who are ::""?>? out of not going because of you! Anybody else have issues with them?
http://www.pbs.org/
Ok my rant is over.
Thanks for listening (reading)
Kris

Re: Who Bought Bonamassa Tickets Purchased Through PBS?

I bought tickets twice through PBS for Joe's shows, once for Minneapolis and once for Chicago. Both shows were a couple days apart back in October of 2011. I did get both pairs of tickets without a problem, but I wasn't at all happy with the seats I got for Chicago especially after I inquired about the general location of the seats and it turned out that they weren't in that location at all. Perhaps it was a similar oversold situation that you're encountering, but they had enough unsold seats for that 2011 Chicago show to cover themselves. After that experience I decided I would't buy tickets through PBS again.

Our seats in Minneapolis were okay, BTW, about 12 or 13 rows back and a little left of center, but easily the farthest back I've ever sat on the main floor for a Joe show.

Also, we're doing the same shows again here in just over a week and got tickets through the pre-sales. Seventh row dead center for Minneapolis and second row center loge (lower balcony) for Chicago.

I obtained PBS tickets for a show in Merrillville, IN a few years ago. They were just OK seats, like 22nd row or something like that. No overselling or anything as far as the tickets went, but i didn't know where the seats were until i received the tickets a week before the show.
I will never again spend hard earned cash for tickets when I don't know where the seats are.
I realize this was technically a donation to PBS, but I hated not knowing where the seats were and then being a bit disappointed when I got them. I guess I've been spoiled.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Thanks for the heads up. I have some friends who did order the tickets through PBS for Montréal. Don`t know what kind of tickets they end up with yet, but they were real excited when they told me. I even tried to buy some through them when I learned about the possibility but for whatever reason they wouldn`t accept my postal code as valid (brand new street must be the reason) so I couldn`t complete the purchase. I eventually had to wait for the presale, which allowed me to grab 3rd row center...

But I feel for you, happened to me once for Iron Maiden tickets, was supposed to get 2nd row and ended up a little further because of a glitch. Hope you decide to go anyway, will surely be a good one.

I guess the moral seems to be buy your own seats in the presales or direct and make a donation to PBS as a seperate thing or you have to settle for what you get. I had thought from other posts that PBS gets some of the choice seats.  It's sad to read though.  It's a good cause but they should at least be honest with what you're getting.

Alan

I've never heard anything like this.  But am I reading and thinking correctly?  You dealt with somebody from the station's drive telephone banks for donation's?  Also, I am curious whose Email you received, was it from the station itself?  This is sounding like a single case of misinformation from a volunteer who misinterpreted their passdown of protocol for their job, although Lee's situation seems to verify their is a bit of uncertainty as to how disbursements are carried out and the question of what is reserved for these tv drives and what the full implementation actually entails. 

I would think if you did all you did based on a presumption and cannot accept the deal you might not only be refunded tickets but donation also.  Then you are foregoing attendance at all unless you accept probably buying into the balcony again or using the refund of all your money, which, given the significantly large donation to public television even minus ticketing face values, might make purchase of aftermarket tickets in the vicinity of your desired seating arrangement possible, although a block of 6 may be impossible!

It seems to me there could be a rock solid choice/selection or acceptance of seats offered at the time of donation.  If a block is reserved for these stations, they should be able to disburse precisely.  Doesn't anybody know how to work details out these days?  I could do it as a one man operation!!!  If someone makes a donation with a full intention of attending (remember, they are supporting a cause at the same time), and these promotions seem to precede all other public offerings including fan presales (or should as a rule if they do not already) I would think they not only assume/presume certain things, but that theses presumptions could be backed up by fully disclosed, accurate and instantaneous accountability.  But then again, I have been known to think too much when I'm thinking at all.........

I thought the standard line for PBS seats guaranty is "best available", and unknown until arrival exactly where that might be.  Now it seems you get them very close to the date.  All this leads to accepting that.  Best pay heed to that until something else.  I think the "Giddy Old Days" of being spoiled are over...maybe time for all to drop (not necessarily unrealistic) expectations a few notches.

Rock ON & Keep Some Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Same issue in Richmond, Va. when PBS had a fund drive and used Joe's show in 2011. I had introduced Joe to a friend from work and he was told over the phone that the seats would be up front and in the first few rows and when he got the tickets they were off to the left side of the stage and about 25 rows back. He didn't appreciate what he was told by PBS but loved the show and now there is a new Joe fan but he and his wife weren't going to go through PBS anymore.

Just called my friends to see if they knew anything about this and surely enough they did. PBS offered them a rain check for next year plus a cd of Joe`s latest cd !!! WTF is this a joke or what. They (you) paid good money for a good cause in exchange of good seats for a concert you`d like to attend and they over book it. I`m sorry but J & R should not participate or be involved with PBS in the future.

That was my friends first Joe`s concert, and it was a bit of my fault since I introduced him to them during a nice gathering we had. When I put a Joe cd they thought it was incredible and decided to go see him with us. We were all supposed to gather before the show, have supper together and enjoy some 2.5  hours of great music later on. I`m sorry but we`re all a little bit pissed off.

9 (edited by ohiodawg13 2013-04-21 12:29:21)

IamKrisJones wrote:

Well...I find myself a little ticked off at this whole process of dealing through Public Broadcasting Service to get my Bonamassa tickets for his upcoming show on the 8th of May in Montreal. They were the first to put up tickets as it was a promo at the same time donate money towards the station. I thought it was great since it would not only ensure I would have great tickets but donate to the station at the same time. They could not confirm what the tickets would be when I called but promised it would be first rows and center. I ordered these on Sept.27th of last year. I have been so anxious for this show. Was there two years ago but was on the balcony so was excited for this show to be up close. I get an e-mail on this past Thursday (April 18th) stating that there was a mixup on their part and there's a chance some might miss the show. I wrote back to ask what that meant and they said that they ''oversold'' the show and some might not be able to go however, I can and my tickets are on the way. She then gave me my ticket numbers which are no where close to what they stated on the phone. I then realized that by them saying I was one of the lucky ones to go it was there way of making it seem ok to accept the tickets. I end up being seated 16rows back and off to the right. I wrote back and complained and all they replied is, ''we will gladly refund your tickets.'' Well of course you will cause then you have 6 extra tickets to give out to others who are ::""?>? out of not going because of you! Anybody else have issues with them?
Ok my rant is over.
Kris

Yo Kris! Let's get real for a few seconds here. 1) You obviously have enough disposable income to go to one of Joe's shows. There are people in the world who don't even know where their next meal is coming from yet many piss n moan about where they're sitting at a concert. 2) You're helping to keep Public Television alive and on the air. 3) I saw Joe Wed. night in Sacramento in the 11th row and the sound was far superior the further back you got from the stage. Regardless of where you end up sitting take a stroll over to the sound board during the show if you want to hear primo sound dynamics. 4) Be grateful for what you have and not the things you don't have, a concept that makes life a whole lot easier to deal with. 5) Oh BTW, don't forget to wish Joe a Happy Birthday that night!!! ENJOY!!!

Think Gratefully,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

My wife and I recently bought 2 tickets off of the PBS station here in the Cleveland, OH area (WVIZ).  It was a $250 donation for 2 with them being somewhere in the fist 6 rows.  Now I am nervous! 

In 2 weeks we we will be seeing Joe in Detroit too ... 4th row!  Can't wait!

You have not experienced what a truly emotion filled solo is until you have seen Joe play Sloe Gin in person.

I purchased tickets for my first show in 2011 through PBS in the Seattle/Tacoma area. They never guaranteed the row or section but promised the tickets would be decent. I was happy to donate to a cause that I had grown up with. We got two tickets in row 7 or 8 at the Seattle Paramount. And now I am a fan for life.

Side note - Honestly, I had given up on new music. I thought all the good music had been made already. Flipping channels one night, and there is the RAH show on PBS. I stopped what I was doing. I turned the tv rig way up, and within the hour I was on the phone to donate/purchase tickets. I don't want to sound dorky or cliche, but that show changed my life.

KatClark wrote:

I purchased tickets for my first show in 2011 through PBS in the Seattle/Tacoma area. They never guaranteed the row or section but promised the tickets would be decent. I was happy to donate to a cause that I had grown up with. We got two tickets in row 7 or 8 at the Seattle Paramount. And now I am a fan for life.

Side note - Honestly, I had given up on new music. I thought all the good music had been made already. Flipping channels one night, and there is the RAH show on PBS. I stopped what I was doing. I turned the tv rig way up, and within the hour I was on the phone to donate/purchase tickets. I don't want to sound dorky or cliche, but that show changed my life.

Lots of life changing stories here...not dorky or cliche IMO.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

13 (edited by sally12333 2013-04-21 22:18:30)

ohiodawg13 wrote:
IamKrisJones wrote:

Ok my rant is over.
Kris

Yo Kris! Let's get real for a few seconds here. 1) You obviously have enough disposable income to go to one of Joe's shows. There are people in the world who don't even know where their next meal is coming from yet many piss n moan about where they're sitting at a concert. 2) You're helping to keep Public Television alive and on the air. 3) I saw Joe Wed. night in Sacramento in the 11th row and the sound was far superior the further back you got from the stage. Regardless of where you end up sitting take a stroll over to the sound board during the show if you want to hear primo sound dynamics. 4) Be grateful for what you have and not the things you don't have, a concept that makes life a whole lot easier to deal with. 5) Oh BTW, don't forget to wish Joe a Happy Birthday that night!!! ENJOY!!!

Think Gratefully,

J Dawg

Hi Dawg,

I wholeheartedly agree with your number 4 and number 2 above.  Plus, I have had seats half-way back and farther away from the stage and still loved every minute and was totally enthralled and grateful to be there. 

However, seems to me IamKris was mistreated by PBS.  First, most of us are after close seats for Joe due to the nature of his performance - to have a good view of his playing.  IamKris was incorrectly (and unfortunately probably purposely misleadingly) told he would have one of the best seats in the house, which obviously turned out to be wrong.  Next, for him to have these tickets for 7 months and then only 3 weeks before the show to be told he may not have seats AT ALL because PBS oversold their block of tickets... I would have gone ballistic.

Imagine having your expectations of a long awaited, rare, and BTW premium-priced opportunity to see Joe almost ripped out from under you, and thinking you had no recourse.  Thank goodness it ended all right.

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

sally12333 wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:
IamKrisJones wrote:

Ok my rant is over.
Kris

Think Gratefully,

J Dawg

Hi Dawg,

I wholeheartedly agree with your number 4 and number 2 above.  Plus, I have had seats half-way back and farther away from the stage and still loved every minute and was totally enthralled and grateful to be there. 

However, seems to me IamKris was mistreated by PBS.  First, most of us are after close seats for Joe due to the nature of his performance - to have a good view of his playing.  IamKris was incorrectly (and unfortunately probably purposely misleadingly) told he would have one of the best seats in the house, which obviously turned out to be wrong.  Next, for him to have these tickets for 7 months and then only 3 weeks before the show to be told he may not have seats AT ALL because PBS oversold their block of tickets... I would have gone ballistic.

Imagine having your expectations of a long awaited, rare, and BTW premium-priced opportunity to see Joe almost ripped out from under you, and thinking you had no recourse.  Thank goodness it ended all right.

This is exactly my point. Of course I know I am lucky to have all that I have and I appreciate it every day. The fact that they told me one thing to get my donation and then end up not getting what was promised is something totally different. Plus the fact that they are admitting to over selling the show makes me believe that is why I am sitting 16rows back other than first rows as they told me it would be.

I hope things have gotten better as I purchased tickets for the Atlanta, Nov. 22,  show. There was the promise of a meet and greet as well and after trying to crash the M &G in Greenville, SC last December I thought I would give PBS a shot this time around. Just to be on the safe side I got tickets for the second show on the 23rd, but there was no pre-sale for the 2nd show, still they're good seats.  I purchased those tickets on Friday and have them in hand the following Monday. Still no sign of the PBS tickets. Stay tuned.......

16 (edited by Rocket 2013-04-22 12:36:10)

Robin714 wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:
IamKrisJones wrote:

Ok my rant is over.
Kris

Think Gratefully,

J Dawg

ouch.  legitimate vent.  Hardly needs his wrist slapped for it.

I purchased PBS tickets for the Phila show and they couldn't validate the exact seating numbers but the chart showed looked like they were decent.  Guess we'll see. smile

I wouldn't call that a wrist slapping.  All it is provoking is a rethinking.  I think they are great. and mature, realistic, comments, John!

Also, I noted it is about the "whole process of dealing through Public Broadcasting Service"
They were the first to put up tickets
They could not confirm what the tickets would be when I called but "promised"
they ''oversold'' the show-best define definitively and positively identify this "they"! wink  Otherwise, false assumptions???!!!  This exact instance, I lean toward the individual acting as a phone volunteer just made a mistake ("promised" as an honest misunderstanding) while trying to close the donation "sale".  I wouldn't call that unforgivable if true!

I am starting to believe that PBS offerings are for those who react impulsively and are perhaps seen as financial blessed and are bowled over enough upon their initial exposures/expectations to gladly accept what they get (my informal polling at shows so far seems to verify this btw), as opposed to a slick and smart way for longer reigning fans to score the very best, let alone "what I expected" type of seating arrangement.   Remember this: those PBS seats may be available at the nearly last moment.  If you are shut out completely, this could be a welcome sight, probably cheaper (and tax deductible) than 3rd party prime seats.  Certainly we have enough evidence that the "unknown" aspect of PBS seats should be dealt with accordingly then by more informed readers here and from here on out.  No?!

Rock ON & Keep the Faith & Us POSTED,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

KatClark wrote:

Flipping channels one night, and there is the RAH show on PBS. I stopped what I was doing. I turned the tv rig way up, and within the hour I was on the phone to donate/purchase tickets. I don't want to sound dorky or cliche, but that show changed my life.

A big +1 !!!   So many of us in the same boat!     big_smile

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

Robin714 wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:
IamKrisJones wrote:

Ok my rant is over.
Kris

Think Gratefully,

J Dawg

ouch.  legitimate vent.  Hardly needs his wrist slapped for it.

I purchased PBS tickets for the Phila show and they couldn't validate the exact seating numbers but the chart showed looked like they were decent.  Guess we'll see. smile

No wrist slapping intended, just putting things in perspective. As Kat and others mention life changing events here I had a serious one 6 years ago this coming July sitting in my Dr.'s office and being informed I had cancer. The bottom line is I'm still here talking about it, but it definitely re-arranged MY priorities.

Think Green,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint