1 (edited by ZCat 2007-06-01 23:57:04)

Topic: Saw EJ and Buddy Guy Tonight

Guess what they played in between EJ and Buddy? They played 6 songs from You and Me by one Joe Bonamassa!!! That was
pretty cool.
EJ opened up and he was really good. Of course he is a virtuoso guitar player, and the music was very nice. There was a sweet version of Manhattan, and a great SRV and Spanish Castle Magic for an encore....but no Cliffs of Dover. WTF??? He even asked what people wanted to hear, and everybody was shouting Cliffs, but he didn't do it. That was disappointing, I don't understand these guys that don't play their best known hits. 
Buddy Guy came out and just took it to another level. Not necessarily just from a guitar playing point of view, but as a showman. That guy is the master showman, he had that crowd in the palm of his hand.He was funny, and raunchy and pretty crazy, too. He had one line that went: One leg was in the east...and one leg was in the west...and I was in the middle, just tryin' to do my best!!! It was hilarious.
He walked out into the crowd while he was playing, came right by me, I could have reached out and touched him, just wailing on that strat.He went way out in the crowd, people were folllowing him in a big knot, snapping pictures and just generally freaking out, it was great.
If you ever get a chance to see BG, don't miss him.

Re: Saw EJ and Buddy Guy Tonight

That song would be Love Her With A Feelin'.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

EJ will be headlining a show here tomorrow. I'll let you know if he does Cliffs.

4 (edited by The RiverCat^-^ 2007-06-02 06:10:18)

Zcat,

Buddy Guy and Eric Johnson, it doesn't get much better than that.  When I saw EJ solo last year he played Cliffs of Dover.  He usually puts it in his set.  Sorry to hear it wasn't in the concert you saw.  Since he was the opening act that could be a reason why it wasn't in there.  It will be interesting to see if he plays it at Jim's show.

Have a Great Time Jim smile

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

Deezer wrote:

That song would be Love Her With A Feelin'.

That's a crazy song for sure.  Buddy knows how to put on a good show.  He is fun to watch and not a bad guitar player too...

Music is good for the Soul...

ZCat:

It sounds like you hit an incredible double bill with one of Austin's finest, and a true Chitown veteran.
I am not sure I could handle a double hit like that in one night.
Both are true Gentlemen that have set the bar high for Blues Musicians to follow.
I have seen EJ more times than Buddy, and they never cease to make my jaw drop.
That is cool to hear some You and Me at the break too.

RockinRon

Two kinds of women in this world. Theres naughty and there's nice
Any man will tell you that one is a virtue
And the other is a Vice.
Warren Haynes-Inside Outside Women Blues #3-By a Thread

Zcat, Cliffs was indeed played. Just got in. Great show. I didn't snag the set list but I can tell you the high pointsfor me.  Not being an astute EJ fan I just know he played everything I'm familiar with and then some. Played for 100minutes. Did a bluesy song for the first encore came back out and did Spanish Castle Magic. He did Desert Rose and SRV.  Three acoustic songs solo. The guy is an amazing acoustic player. Roscoe Beck on bass being one of my favorite players was an added treat.

Lucky guy, that is really the song that I wanted to see him play. He should have skipped the My Back Pages cover and played Cliffs instead. I think EJ just has too much going on in his songs to try and sing at the same time. It's almost like the singing is an afterthought.
He did a real nice job on Manhattan, tho. The double Twin clean tone was amazing, the Marshall lead tone was a little inconsistent. He is an awesome player.