Topic: Joe's new amp at SLO show, Category 5?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/237/5181 … 78d7_b.jpg

Check out Joe's new amp from the San Luis Obispo show! I've never heard of this one before, Category 5. It looks like the Fuchs is out for now. There is one review on Harmony Central, but it may not be the same model (the guy likes it, big surprise). Apparently voiced for hard rock/ or blues, single channel.

Does anyone know anything about these amps? Joe?

I was too tongue tied to ask him about them at the show.

On a side note, since I started using a budda (45) amp, Joe stopped....
I recently bought a Fuchs (Lucky 7)...Joe stopped using these too....

Coincidence or strange bizzaro world connection???

Re: Joe's new amp at SLO show, Category 5?

Yeah I've got a Budda 45 now too.  I've been a Fender amp user for a long time now and it was a completely different sound for me which took me a while to get used to but I love it now. Sounds like butter with a Les Paul on the neck pickup and the tone control wound down.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

I played that amp at the Dallas Guitar show.  Joe was picking it up at the show and I know Don and Steve, Category 5 amps, great guys.  Joe actually used my LP to test drive the amp when he came to pick it up.  It's replacing his plexi, which apparently after all these years just didn't sound the same night to night.

Here's some pictures
http://category5.phanfare.com/album/264 … D=15887583

http://category5.phanfare.com/album/281 … D=17074647

The Category 5 is a 1968 Marshall plexi clone with a voiceable mid switch on the back..  They call it the "Joe Bonamassa custom amp" Its very nice and consistent which the poor 1970 Marshall had started to fatigue.  1970 is the amp I used for Tea for One..
Joe Bonamassa

Thanks for the response.
Do these guys have a website? I don't find anything doing a search. I'd like to hear some mp3s if possible.

Jess,
I love the budda too. It cuts through the mix and cleans up with volume knob when you need it to. I played with a guy with a marshall dsl 100 half stack, and my little 1x12 combo shined. After playing, he was asking "What is that? I've never heard of them, but that thing sounds great."

I played with another guy with a fender twin (and many pedals, which sounded great) and  after playing rock/blues oriented music all day, I reached down and changed some settings and played some old Tool with the drummer for a few minutes. He was shocked that the amp could change sounds like that without pedals.

Actually, the Budda website is how I first discovered Joe.  So I'll always have them to thank for turning me on to my favorite guitar player.

Wow!!!  I want one!!!  That amp looks awesome!!  Thanks for that link skip62.. that must've been cool to have Joe play your paul to try out a new amp!

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

8 (edited by DonR 2007-05-29 16:18:58)

Hello KWSJB1238

Thanks for your interest!!!

We are not going to build an exact one down to the faceplates for anyone without Joe's permission, but we will be glad to build you one close to it, or anyone of our other amps, or a custom build.  You can reach us at www.category5amps.com.  You can call me direct as well 469-556-3757.

As Joe said, its based on a 1968 superlead, with a mid boost, effects loop, dual voltage and polarity switch.  It has some other differences in tone stack to get it to have a warm, tight bottom without a harsh top end.

There are a few more pictures of it in the photo gallery. 

Joe, Thanks for the kind words and for your support,

Don Ritter
Artist Relations
Category 5 Amplification

It's cool to know that the new custom amps give vintage a run for the money.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Is that a 'fatfinger' on the accoustic? I have one on my main guitar and it does exactly as it says on the tin. I will be getting more for my other guitars.

Crazy old Scottish person, still playing, still learning.

11 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2007-06-10 15:32:18)

I dont think that's a fatfinger on that acoustic. It is a capo, Im pretty sure...

jockman wrote:

Is that a 'fatfinger' on the accoustic? I have one on my main guitar and it does exactly as it says on the tin. I will be getting more for my other guitars.

Really?  How long have you been playing with it?
What is the  sound difference?

I noticed Monte Montgomery's bass player had one on his guitar.

I think the new Gigliotti guitars that have the new metal veneer neck might serve the same purpose as a fatfinger?

I always wanted to get one to see if it worked.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I got mine when I took out a subscription to Guitarist magazine, I had only ever saw one on Joe Satriani's guitar, anyway, I thought it would be all hype, but to my surprise, it wasn't, my guitar is a custom made, based on the Yamaha MSG, so it has a lot of mahogany and maple, great sound, but it got 'fuller' and well just better when the fat finger went on, it is now a permenant fixture, and, it's also good to get conversations started with other guitaristd.

Jon

Crazy old Scottish person, still playing, still learning.

13 (edited by DonR 2007-07-16 14:36:17)

Ken,

Please don't buy one of our amps-I don't want Joe to stop using them:).  FYI had a great chat with Joe regarding the Category 5 amp in Colorado.  As you can see from the North Sea Jazz footage, its in Europe now.   It's twin brother is being built now, ready for Joe when he returns to the US.  Joe has given me permission to build one for anyone who wants them, to the exact specs, and including the signature graphics on the back.  So if there are any takers out there, let me know, Joe Bonamassa Custom amps from Category 5 are now available to the public.

Don Ritter
Artist Relations
Category 5 Amplification

....and the price is? wink

DonR wrote:

Ken,

Please don't buy one of our amps-I don't want Joe to stop using them:).  FYI had a great chat with Joe regarding the Category 5 amp in Colorado.  As you can see from the North Sea Jazz footage, its in Europe now.   It's twin brother is being built now, ready for Joe when he returns to the US.  Joe has given me permission to build one for anyone who wants them, to the exact specs, and including the signature graphics on the back.  So if there are any takers out there, let me know, Joe Bonamassa Custom amps from Category 5 are now available to the public.

Don Ritter
Artist Relations
Category 5 Amplification

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Yes, Don...inquiring minds NEED to know :-)

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

OK,

For the amp Joe is playing now, 100 watter based off a 68 plexi, it is $2995 for US voltage and $3150 for 120/220/230 volts.  10% of the proceeds will go to the Blues in the Schools program.

thanks for the interest!

DonR

17 (edited by gsj 2007-07-17 16:51:02)

Do you do a lower powered version Don? Over here in the UK Dennis Cornell does an 18/20 watt Plexi.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

GSJ,

Yes, we do an 18 watt Plexi with reverb called the Tsunami.  It can be a head, 1 x 12, 2 x 12, 2 x 10.  Just check it out on the website Category5amps.com or email me(or call) for more info.  We can do it dual voltage for an extra $150.00.

DonR