Topic: Becoming a Street Teamer

I've been looking into becoming a street teamer and despite surfing around the forum and main website, I haven't found a whole lot of answers about it.  Sorry if I haven't looked hard enough.  I've tried contacting street team Andy, but he doesn't seem to be in these days.

To you seasoned street teamers...

What can I expect for your average Joe promo endeavor?

I'm one of those anti "social networking" people (as far as no accounts on facebook, twitter, youtube, etc.), so I don't know if I would be able to do much online promotion of Joe.  Is that ok?

And regarding distributing flyers and such, are they mailed to me or what?

Would I be contacted or asked to do promotional work or is it just volunteer work for upcoming local shows or year round or ?

And with the age of keeping "all things personal" safe and secure, does my personal info get used for anything else (soliciting, junk mail, hired thugs at my door at 3am, etc.)?

I've made a lot of Joe compilation cds for a bunch of people and done a lot of youtube link pointing and general bragging on the maestro, so I guess I've been promoting already, but I figured I might as well check into the street team officially.  Besides, I'd really like to meet the man too!

Thanks much.

"Oh baby, since you're gone, I got a massa the blues!"

Re: Becoming a Street Teamer

The Street Team is evolving. Alexis had a vision and now Andy is tweaking it to fit the needs of today. I know if you sign up you will get blasted with the Newsletter but more importantly your location will be known to Andy and he will ask for help with certain on the ground activities when a show is in your area. There still is a need for fliers and posters to be handed out and displayed in key locations.

JBXP was being used for Street Teaming but if you hadn't heard it is moth balled for the time being. Which as you said you are not an active social networker. So the old fashioned way of turning people on to a CD compilation or having a watch party of the DVD's is as basic and effective as it can get. As far as not hearing from Andy there are many requests that come across his desktop and he tries to handle them chronologically according to the tour itinerary.

If you will read the sticky at the top of this topic about M&G requests he explains the procedure as it has changed out of necessity recently. I will just tell you that space is limited especially when the show coincides with a PBS promotion. You may need to be willing to travel if your in a large market town. The smaller markets tend to have more room available. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, Jim.

How about the posters and fliers?  I assume those are mailed to me?  The old personal record stores are all but gone, so is there a key demographic for distributing them or anywhere and everywhere?

I believe you are correct. There are some locally owned stores that sell vinyl and used CD's which still have posters in the windows. Music stores I believe are the best locations however because most musicians and guitar players in particular know who Joe is. Also I tend to distribute to local music schools and teaching studios where music lessons are given if they are separate from a music store. Management recommends coffee shops too. I like to distribute DVD's to the local Home Theater stores which can be done year around and not just pre show promotion. I might go in and pose as a customer and pull out the DVD to demo the systems and when the salespeople gather around I offer to leave it with them as I go ask my wife for permission to purchase. Of course when I don't come back they figure she controls the purse strings and said no. wink

5 (edited by Rocket 2013-01-29 04:36:35)

jim m wrote:

I believe you are correct. There are some locally owned stores that sell vinyl and used CD's which still have posters in the windows. Music stores I believe are the best locations however because most musicians and guitar players in particular know who Joe is. Also I tend to distribute to local music schools and teaching studios where music lessons are given if they are separate from a music store. Management recommends coffee shops too. I like to distribute DVD's to the local Home Theater stores which can be done year around and not just pre show promotion. I might go in and pose as a customer and pull out the DVD to demo the systems and when the salespeople gather around I offer to leave it with them as I go ask my wife for permission to purchase. Of course when I don't come back they figure she controls the purse strings and said no. wink

You know I love you, Jim, right?!  You forgot the part where you send her to check up on the store and they are playing Joe, according to them, "all the time", "some guy just left it here, his loss!"

I'm sure that is not much of a stretch, Massa.  Whether self-directed or on marching orders, we can tend to get pretty creative.

Who remembers when Melissa had her flyer template back in the day? big_smile

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Thanks to Jane and Jim and Rocket for additional info.   I try to share, tweet or post about everything Joe is involved in.  I try to share stuff on facebook with everyone and tweet it also.  I put different photos of  Joe on my facebook each week.  I have  had several folks ask me who is that then I have an opening to let them know about Joe and share his music. Last fall before I got the official cards for street teaming from Andy, I made some of my own flyers up and handed those out.  I think that Andy is monitoring facebook and twitter for this kind of stuff too. I have had several comments from  him.  Plus I try to email him or post it on the street team page when I am successful as well.

wvgirlinky beat me to it, but yes, thanks for the info.  Good things to know.

8 (edited by Rocket 2013-02-01 17:22:20)

...and it not really a points or rewards system...

Always bear that in mind.  wink

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”