1 (edited by RickB 2013-01-26 22:20:37)

Topic: Rock Candy Funk Party CD release gig at the Baked Potato

Well, Rocket requested a blow-by-blow so I'll give it a shot since I was there from the beginning of Joe's foray into Funky Jazz at the Spud.
This will be long so here's part 1.
Day one, Wednesday
My gigging partner and son in law Dean had the driving duty for the first day so he picked me up about 1130 am for the 125 mile drive up and hopeful first in line honors. Traffic was light and we pulled up in front of the Baked Potato at about 230 pm. No one there yet big_smile so we set up our chairs by the door, got some killer Mexican lunch from the next door restaurant, beer from the adjacent liquor store and settled in for the 5 hour wait to door opening. A foursome walked by headed for the restaurant and gave us a look, asked if we were waiting in line for the show and when confirmed, gave a yell and fist pump, "Yeah, Joe Bonamassa!", a good sign of his fame and a definite grin producer for us.

Within an hour the hard core faithful started arriving. Front Row Fred, Lindy Lu with St. Bob. Julie and Lary (in from Colorado) drove by headed for the hotel, yelled at us as they passed, and soon were queued up. I set up my mobile hotspot, gave out the login and quickly we all had our laptops and pads online and started blogging to the BonaNation and BonaSpud fangroups on facebook with live reports and pictures to the fans around the world who had been aching for news of the event. This is the way to share a gig! Can mobile live streaming be far away? Very quickly there was a running chat session going on with 40 or 50 watching and posting and the buzz commenced.   Rocket walked up, then nmagcorn (Natasha) and Phil just in from Maryland, and by 5 a line had formed stretching down the street. All were chatting, socializing, meeting other fans they only knew from online and anticipating what was to come. As you've probably gathered by now, the Baked Potato gigs with RCFP are a Bonaholic social event with music. Started by a handful of SoCal fans at the first gig who attend other events in the area together, it has now grown to include drive and  fly-ins from far and wide. We're the BonaSpuds!

About 6 or so the band had all arrived. They had to wait for Mike Merritt to finish the taping session for Conan O'Brian's show. Gear was set up and soon the music started leaking through the wall as sound check commenced. The vibe was now at a peak on the street. I shot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-o-suf-Yl0 through the mail slot since that is the secret view of half the stage for Spud veterans. The vid also captures a bit of the street scene.

Time for the door opening drew near so the chairs were stowed and a proper line formed. We all knew the order of arrival so no problemo. At 730, the door opened and the doorman let us in one ticket purchaser at a time. There are no tickets, just a list at the door of the purchaser and how many tickets each had bought. Once checked in you could enter and select your seat (except for the other stage front table for two which is always reserved for Rocket and Libby-I'd like to know how that works! hmm ) First come first served and of course my party of 4 took the ground-zero-position-alpha 4 person table right in front of the stage. To the winners of the queue race go the spoils. big_smile Natasha and Phil had some huge grins when they saw where we were. Two hours to showtime so food and drink commenced. The menu is one thing. Enormous (biggest you ever saw) variations of stuffed Idaho spuds. About 15 different styles from just cheese to steak and mushroom in sauce. Prices are reasonable. Two drink minimum per set is enforced. If you don't drink, you get two bottles of water at the end of the set and pay anyway (great souvenirs with Baked Potato logo labels). Everyone mingled and chatted as the house filled and we waited for showtime.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party CD release gig at the Baked Potato

Thank you Rick!  Well written.  Was quite and exciting event, to say the least!

Julianne wrote:

Thank you Rick!  Well written.  Was quite and exciting event, to say the least!

Thank you Julieanne. I'm still trying to digest all that went down in the two nights, 'twas a feast for the ears. The rest will trickle out as the muse strikes. Welcome to the Forum. I know how you came to be a fan but maybe you can go over to the intro section and let the rest of us know. smile

Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Well, Rocket, as far as the experience goes, I think I'll concentrate on the idea of intensity as it related to two things, a candle, and myself.
First, the candle. In a small place like the Baked Potato, the sound, when properly done, is loud, but not overbearing to the point where it is uncomfortable. In my mind, the sound level was perfect. And in it's perfection, it filled the entire space, you were totally enveloped by it. Something that can't be portrayed in a video recording. Now, every table had a small, oil filled candle on it with a glass open dome surrounding the flame. Mine and Helen's was no different except for the fact the oil was getting low and therefore the flame. When the band started into "Heartbeat", the intro has a very distinct boom, boom, boom, like a heartbeat I suppose. Helen tapped me on the arm and pointed at the candle. It was pulsing at the exact tempo of the music. I thought at first that it was just a trick of the lights, but when I looked in at the flame, it was literally changing its shape to the beat of the music. At each boom, it became flat and triangular. The intensity of the sound waves were actually making it pulse. We were just enthralled by it, so we gestured to Rocket who noticed it, too and was amazed. It felt quite mystical.
The second intense experince happened to me. In the song, "Ode to Gee", on the second night in the second set, Joe performed a solo that is still affecting me. It was one of those solos that just continues to build. And as it climbed higher and higher, he was getting more and more into it until he was reaching one of its peaks. I was sitting about 7 ft away on an angle facing right at him as it reached that peak, and as I watched, mesmerized by his hands on those strings, I looked up at his face, and even though it was scrunched up in either agony or ectasy, I could see his pale colored eyes looking right at me for what felt like a number of moments. It was f##kin' intense. ( i use that word only because no other conjures the same feeling) Now I realize, he probably was not truly looking or for that matter, seeing me because his brain was probably in another dimension, but that doesn't change how it affected me. When I now look at the video of that song or even just recall that event in my mind, a little shiver passes through me. So there you have it. An experience that will be with me forever.

5 (edited by sally12333 2013-01-27 14:05:28)

nmagcorn wrote:

Well, Rocket, as far as the experience goes, I think I'll concentrate on the idea of intensity as it related to two things, a candle, and myself.
First, the candle. In a small place like the Baked Potato, the sound, when properly done, is loud, but not overbearing to the point where it is uncomfortable. In my mind, the sound level was perfect. And in it's perfection, it filled the entire space, you were totally enveloped by it. Something that can't be portrayed in a video recording. Now, every table had a small, oil filled candle on it with a glass open dome surrounding the flame. Mine and Helen's was no different except for the fact the oil was getting low and therefore the flame. When the band started into "Heartbeat", the intro has a very distinct boom, boom, boom, like a heartbeat I suppose. Helen tapped me on the arm and pointed at the candle. It was pulsing at the exact tempo of the music. I thought at first that it was just a trick of the lights, but when I looked in at the flame, it was literally changing its shape to the beat of the music. At each boom, it became flat and triangular. The intensity of the sound waves were actually making it pulse. We were just enthralled by it, so we gestured to Rocket who noticed it, too and was amazed. It felt quite mystical.
The second intense experince happened to me. In the song, "Ode to Gee", on the second night in the second set, Joe performed a solo that is still affecting me. It was one of those solos that just continues to build. And as it climbed higher and higher, he was getting more and more into it until he was reaching one of its peaks. I was sitting about 7 ft away on an angle facing right at him as it reached that peak, and as I watched, mesmerized by his hands on those strings, I looked up at his face, and even though it was scrunched up in either agony or ectasy, I could see his pale colored eyes looking right at me for what felt like a number of moments. It was f##kin' intense. ( i use that word only because no other conjures the same feeling) Now I realize, he probably was not truly looking or for that matter, seeing me because his brain was probably in another dimension, but that doesn't change how it affected me. When I now look at the video of that song or even just recall that event in my mind, a little shiver passes through me. So there you have it. An experience that will be with me forever.

This is SO totally awesome, Natasha.

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

6 (edited by RickB 2013-01-27 14:41:01)

Helen told me of that oil lamp on the drive home. Eloquent and extremely descriptive words Natasha. The two nights are still swirling around in my mind. As I review the videos the experience just gets more intense since I was in my own little world with the camera, just as Joe was in his. Helen especially enjoyed it since she's a jazz hound. Some words fail and I'm going to have my work cut out following your post. The whole was certainly more than the sum of the parts. You're a wordsmith. Well done!
Rick
edit. As I look at the first night vids, I notice the same effect. I used a small table tripod and you can see it on the video as the very solid table was moving to the beat. cool

RickB wrote:

Helen told me of that oil lamp on the drive home. Eloquent and extremely descriptive words Natasha. The two nights are still swirling around in my mind. As I review the videos the experience just gets more intense since I was in my own little world with the camera, just as Joe was in his. Helen especially enjoyed it since she's a jazz hound. Some words fail and I'm going to have my work cut out following your post. The whole was certainly more than the sum of the parts. You're a wordsmith. Well done!
Rick

You can share it with your Bonanation Bonaspuds if you want. wink

nmagcorn wrote:
RickB wrote:

Rick

You can share it with your Bonanation Bonaspuds if you want. wink

Done, thanks!

I was at the first show on Thursday night and it was awesome. I didn't have the best view (I was at the bar) but it was still a great show. I really like the music and his incorporation of the EHX Ring Thing pedal. Pretty sweet sounding.

Gibson Joe Bonamassa ES335
Gibson 2013 Les Paul Standard Plus - Tea Burst
Gibson 2009 Songwriter - Acoustic

What great stories. Thanks for sharing and for all the pics, vids and comments. I was hanging in the Spud site on FB and even got excited from my home. smile Such special shows! As much fun as it was for the fans, I think the band enjoyed it even more!

Thanks for all the reviews.  Sounds like all the Bonaspuds did some major bonding and experienced a special time