1 (edited by JBFan4Life 2012-09-06 11:46:07)

Topic: Translation of Anthony Gomes Song -- N'Abandonne Pas

Per posts in the "What Song Are You Listening To" thread.

I took a whack with Google Translator for the subject song.  I tried to find a translation provided by Anthony, but didn't have much luck.

I've posted the lyrics in French, as I typed it into the translator from the liner notes on Up 2 Zero.  It's missing all the little French accents, but still managed to translate well enough to get most of the meaning quite well.  I probably could have refined it even more, using the translate tool to view other possibilities.  I did do some of that, and included minor changes in the "raw" translation.

But maybe a French speaker can help refine the English better than my efforts via the automated translation.  (Or maybe someone else will want to wrestle with Google Translate some more.)

I've posted the translation to English after the French.

Obviously, all copyrights reserved to Anthony Gomes.  Hope it's OK that I posted them, as a labor of appreciation.

(FRENCH)

N'abandonne Pas

Seul
Depuis si longtemps
Dans la noirceur je cherchais mon chemin
Mais toi tu etais ma lumiere
Depuis que tu es partie
Oh! j'ai tellement mal

Tes mots me donnent le courage
De toujours esperer
Meme si tu n'es plus la
J'entends ta voix
Tu dis

N'abandonne pas
Tu y arriveras
Apres la nuit
Le soleil se levera

Seul baby, oh je me sens
Tellement seul
Dans ce monde
Je ne pourrais vivre sans toi

De toujours esperer
Meme st tu n'es plus la
J'entends ta voix
Tu dis

N'abandonne pas
Tu y arriveras
Apres la nuit
Le soleil se levera

(Now here's the English, with some small attempts by me to refine the original, per Google Translate)

Do not give up

Alone
So long
In the darkness I looked for my way
But you were there you were my light
Since you're gone
Oh! I hurt so much

Your words gave me courage
To always hope
Even if you're not there
I hear your voice
you say

Do not give up
You'll get there
After the night
The sun will rise

Alone, baby, oh I feel
so alone
In this world
I can not live without you

To always hope
Even if you're not there
I hear your voice
you say

Do not give up
You'll get there
After the night
The sun will rise

Play like you've worked at it, and don't worry about sounding like your influences.  You can't cheat on them, or your practice, anyway.  If you've worked hard at your skill, your audience will know it.

2 (edited by airportdon 2012-09-06 11:33:28)

Re: Translation of Anthony Gomes Song -- N'Abandonne Pas

Thx for the French lesson.......actually the original version was not on "Up to zero"....It was on Unity...( Anthony and the black Stratocaster he sold).

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

3 (edited by JBFan4Life 2012-09-06 12:00:29)

Something sounded so familiar about the melody and feel of the song.

Thanks for the memory jumpstart.  This is clearly a somewhat loose translation of "Darkest Before the Dawn".  I know there's no version in French on Unity but it's obviously the same music.  I haven't pulled Unity out, in some time.  Going to have to.

Anyhow, it's interesting to contrast the two. cool

Anthony actually discusses the translation (and practices a bit) in a YouTube video I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDxHMuLIbxM

Play like you've worked at it, and don't worry about sounding like your influences.  You can't cheat on them, or your practice, anyway.  If you've worked hard at your skill, your audience will know it.

JBFan4Life wrote:

Something sounded so familiar about the melody and feel of the song.

Thanks for the memory jumpstart.  This is clearly a somewhat loose translation of "Darkest Before the Dawn".  I know there's no version in French on Unity but it's obviously the same music.  I haven't pulled Unity out, in some time.  Going to have to.

Anyhow, it's interesting to contrast the two. cool

Anthony actually discusses the translation (and practices a bit) in a YouTube video I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDxHMuLIbxM

Yep..a big Gomes fan ...just saw him and Biscuit Miller a few weekends ago....a nice short lived reunion it was...:)

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

5 (edited by JBFan4Life 2012-09-06 13:46:51)

Ditto on being a big fan.  The reunion with Biscuit would have been fun, I'm sure.

In another post I think I mentioned seeing him a long time ago.  Unity might have been out, or due soon at the time.  Was in a local bar that's now gone.  My group were pretty much the only ones to show up specifically for Anthony's show.  Had a great time talking to Anthony and the band before he started, during the breaks, and at the end of the show. 

I really annoyed two couples who came in during the second set, when they chose to sit down right in front of the band, and the ladies involved proceeded to try to talk right over the show.  Getting louder and louder so they could hear each other.  I respectfully asked them to take it to the back of the bar.  Thereby alarming one of my friends who thought a fracas might break out.  But they did move, begrudgingly--after telling me about how well they knew the owner.  And threatening to get me and my party kicked out.  (For those who've seen me comment elsewhere about making allowances at concerts, here's evidence there's a limit to my patience, too.)

Getting kicked out didn't happen, of course.  Anthony didn't miss a beat and threw me a wink, when they moved on.  The impact was minimal.  By the end of the show, folks who were there primarily to socialize and drink had realized they were getting one heck of a show.  And the dance floor ended up packed.  Anthony won a few converts that night, I imagine.

I know he appreciated us getting things started.

Anthony Gomes is killer every time I see him. Love that guy.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

N'Abandonne Pas is the French version of Darkest Before the Dawn. Anthony reworked Darkest Before the Dawn, which was originally on the Unity CD, and put it on the new CD as a reworked version and as a bonus, the reworked version in French. The French version is for his mom who does not speak any English.

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

Thanks Rhonda...I believe I said much of that, earlier, and Anthony mentions his French-Canadian Mom in the video I linked to. big_smile

But a little reinforcement doesn't hurt.  I like all three versions.

JBFan4Life wrote:

I took a whack with Google Translator for the subject song.  I tried to find a translation provided by Anthony, but didn't have much luck.

I've posted the lyrics in French, as I typed it into the translator from the liner notes on Up 2 Zero.  It's missing all the little French accents, but still managed to translate well enough to get most of the meaning quite well.  I probably could have refined it even more, using the translate tool to view other possibilities.  I did do some of that, and included minor changes in the "raw" translation.

But maybe a French speaker can help refine the English better than my efforts via the automated translation.  (Or maybe someone else will want to wrestle with Google Translate some more.)

Obviously, all copyrights reserved to Anthony Gomes.  Hope it's OK that I posted them, as a labor of appreciation.

(FRENCH)

N'abandonne Pas

Seul
Depuis si longtemps
Depuis que tu es partie
Oh! j'ai tellement mal

De toujours esperer
Meme si tu n'es plus la
J'entends ta voix
Tu dis

N'abandonne pas
Tu y arriveras
Apres la nuit
Le soleil se levera

Seul baby, oh je me sens
Tellement seul
Dans ce monde

De toujours esperer
Meme st tu n'es plus la
J'entends ta voix
Tu dis

N'abandonne pas
Tu y arriveras
Apres la nuit
Le soleil se levera

(Now here's the English, with some small attempts by me to refine the original, per Google Translate)

Do not give up

Alone
So long
Since you're gone
Oh! I hurt so much

To always hope
Even if you're not there
I hear your voice
you say

Do not give up
You'll get there
After the night
The sun will rise

Alone, baby, oh I feel
so alone
In this world

To always hope
Even if you're not there
I hear your voice
you say

Do not give up
You'll get there
After the night
The sun will rise

Thanks so much JBFan4Life for making a thread and writing down the translation.
Now when he sings it, I will know what it means.  It's a beautiful song and I love hearing him sing it in French.

I hope he includes this in his set when I get to see him again.  Glad you enjoyed his show, he is always fun to see smile

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:

JBFan4Life wrote:

(FRENCH)

N'abandonne Pas

Seul
Depuis si longtemps
Depuis que tu es partie
Oh! j'ai tellement mal

De toujours esperer
Meme si tu n'es plus la
J'entends ta voix
Tu dis

N'abandonne pas
Tu y arriveras
Apres la nuit
Le soleil se levera

Seul baby, oh je me sens
Tellement seul
Dans ce monde

De toujours esperer
Meme st tu n'es plus la
J'entends ta voix
Tu dis

N'abandonne pas
Tu y arriveras
Apres la nuit
Le soleil se levera

Do not give up

Alone
So long
Since you're gone
Oh! I hurt so much

To always hope
Even if you're not there
I hear your voice
you say

Do not give up
You'll get there
After the night
The sun will rise

Alone, baby, oh I feel
so alone
In this world

To always hope
Even if you're not there
I hear your voice
you say

Do not give up
You'll get there
After the night
The sun will rise

Thanks so much JBFan4Life for making a thread and writing down the translation.
Now when he sings it, I will know what it means.  It's a beautiful song and I love hearing him sing it in French.

I hope he includes this in his set when I get to see him again.  Glad you enjoyed his show, he is always fun to see smile

Rivercat,

Anthony starts off the song in English and then asks the audience if they mind him singing a little in French for his mother. This reworked version is so good live! (I've been to about 20 of his shows in the past 2 years) lol

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

I once tried  to translate the chorus of Patti Labelle's Lady Marmalade into French once... The results came up inconclusive..

Voulez-vous coucher avec moi, ce soir?
Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?
Voulez-vous couchez avec moi, ce soir?
Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?

Sorry folks I couldn't resist... LOL

Joe B

Hahaha!!

You're an Uncle now Joe, good to see you're already beginning the corny humour!!

All the best,

- Stefan

Thanks for checking in, Joe.  LOL, myself.

Be careful with that French...somebody might think you are extending an invite.  wink tongue

(Gotta agree with Stefan, about the corny humor.  Joe's always been a bit of a cornball, from what I've gathered through the years.  So "uncle-dom" is just going to reinforce it.)

@Rhonda...hearing about you getting to that many Anthony shows is making me jealous.  Way overdue for a dose of him, myself.

Speaking of AG, I have been on a couple of KTBA cruises and Anthony would bring the house down there (preferably not the ship tho!). He certainly can work a crowd, his voice and guitar work are incredible and I love his mix of blues and heavy rock.