Topic: I cant stand it!

Hi yall,

I was talking with a friend of mine today at work, there doing security at the Piercey,Ca. show for Joe. Somehow, bad songs by our favorite bands was brought up.

I say to him " my all time stinker by one of my all time favorite band is " Rough Boy" by ZZ TOP, I dont know why they went with that ballad. The radio stations played the hell out of it. I could not hit the radio button fast enough to change it. In my mind I could not go from "tube snake boogie" to that, it made me feel, well, un manly I guess (LOL). I know I'm not the only one who thinks " what are you guys doing?" I guess some bands just want to change it up.

My buddy looks at me pissed and says " hey we cover that sometimes". I had to laugh, he didnt!

You guys got any stinkers out there, or am I just not cool! (LOL)

Shred

Re: I cant stand it!

Hi Shredit-

Your favorite band is ZZ TOP.  I am going to see ZZ TOP next Friday in my hometown.  Can't wait to see the show and rock with them!!

Dean

Dean wrote:

Hi Shredit-

Your favorite band is ZZ TOP.  I am going to see ZZ TOP next Friday in my hometown.  Can't wait to see the show and rock with them!!

Dean

Sounds cool, have a great time.

I started growing my gotee, it is getting a little bushy. Debbie says it makes me look mean (LOL). Anyways I'm going to let it go wild. She is being a smart ****, " whats next, a tatoo and a Harley", she forgot a 18 year old girlfriend! (LOL)

Shred

In all fairness, that song has one of BFG's better guitar solos.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

5 (edited by Rocket 2009-07-08 00:08:03)

I would say it is one of Billy Gibbons best solos!!!  Listen to the lush depth of it and not a microsecond too fast or slow and definitely perfect for the song structure...Aw, Shred, you're cool, heck just take a look at your mailman shorts!   Seriously, I can understand just wanting to rock on, but "Rough Boy" is, if you listen to the lyrics and do a little tinking about them, is a VERY macho song, but to be about manly insecurities manifesting in tough acting behaviors...  (my opinions only)

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

Deezer wrote:

In all fairness, that song has one of BFG's better guitar solos.

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Shred, I love you but I too like this song. I understand how you feel though. I have said before I'm burned out on Freebird and Mustang Sally. What matters is we all love JB's music. Wonder if I'll ever burn out on his music. No signs so far.....Cathy

Dean wrote:

Hi Shredit-

Dean

ZZ is cool to see live.  First time was back in 76 in Hot Atlanta, still have the ticket stub.  I really like their early work efforts, not so much the commerical stuff.

Music is good for the Soul...

Hello!

Let me crack open a cold one to get my mind in sharp focuse, ahhhhh, that one went down way to quick. The brain is iced over! Now where was I?

Oh yeah, ZZ, there not my alltime favorite! The Beatles are, I screwed that up. But I have seen them 5 times or so ( not real sure, they MAKE ME drink more than normal when I see them! ) Rocket, I got no problem with the lyrics, and Billy is always amazing. I just got have it hard from them boys ( hey hey no wise cracks, I know what your thinkin! (LOL)

Jane I could not agree more bout " Lover my **** Boy" cant stand em!

Shred

Are you burned out on a certain version of Mustang Sally?! Lots of good ones to mix it up....Freebird, for me I can't stand a certain version....the garage / bar band version!!!  Actually, anyone but the original LP's versions, and even that... I have found it curious that Tuesday's Gone, which I consider a  better song (although not necessarily more exciting), actually WAS far more popular than Free Bird for quite a while, until the live version on "One More From the Road...."

Rock On & Keep the Faith
Rocket

cathysiler wrote:

Shred, I love you but I too like this song. I understand how you feel though. I have said before I'm burned out on Freebird and Mustang Sally. What matters is we all love JB's music. Wonder if I'll ever burn out on his music. No signs so far.....Cathy

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

10 (edited by Rocket 2009-05-28 11:35:48)

Don't go near Canada then....their radio stations all over play them, especially "Everbody's Working For the Weekend" sometime Friday....
Take Off Hosers!  But that reminds me....those freakin' Survivor songs....except one, and it ain't "Eye of the Tiger"!

Rocket

Jane H. wrote:

anything by Loverboy

Rocket wrote:

Don't go near Canada then....their radio stations all over play them, especially "Everbody's Working For the Weekend" sometime Friday....
Take Off Hosers!  But that remeinds me....those freakin' Survivor songs....except one, and it ain't "Eye of the Tiger"!

Rocket

Jane H. wrote:

anything by Loverboy

Big fan of the "Survivor" guy......he is the singer on the Bud Light Real Men of Genius commercials.......classic.

PC

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

12 (edited by bipolarbear 2007-05-11 22:08:27)

Jane H. wrote:

anything by Loverboy

What about the opening riff to "Turn Me Loose?"  That rocks!

Worse song ever: "Seasons in the Sun."

Hi Rocket. There is a band I call "my band" that I go hear freq. EVERY time somebody requests Mustang Sally. Now, this band is good. Represented Baltimore Blues Society in Memphis in the past. Lots of original material, and yet the incessant yell for that song. Last night they made a guy pay $100.00 in order to play it. I went outside!!! I will say I liked it once in the last year and that was Taj Mahal, Dwayne Burnside, Michael Burks, all playing Les Paul's, on the Blues Cruise. The drums and bass were like a 100 Harley's undulating! Do you remember how you couldn't go to any function and not hear "Joy to the World". I hated that bullfrog!!! Same thing! In a world full of excellent songs, I don't understand fixating on the mundane. Joe plays covers but never the "usual suspects". AND, I'll bet money he won't cover this song!!!!!

As big a fan I am of MetallicA, the song "Fight Fire With Fire" off Ride The Lightning get's skipped about 90% of the time.  It's got some nice riffing, but I just do not like the song.  That is their only song though that I can honestly say I don't like, so they top the list for consistancy for me.  Unfortunately there's also a Joe song I skip most of the time.  Now, it's not to say that I don't occasionally play through it and give it a fair shot, but "Tamp Em Up Solid" is just not for me.  But given everything else of Joe's that I absolutely love, he's also got an excellent ratio of great songs to forgettable ones (just that one) in my opinion.

Rock 'N' Roll,
-Ben

morrowbj wrote:

As big a fan I am of MetallicA, the song "Fight Fire With Fire" off Ride The Lightning get's skipped about 90% of the time.  It's got some nice riffing, but I just do not like the song.  That is their only song though that I can honestly say I don't like, so they top the list for consistancy for me.  Unfortunately there's also a Joe song I skip most of the time.  Now, it's not to say that I don't occasionally play through it and give it a fair shot, but "Tamp Em Up Solid" is just not for me.  But given everything else of Joe's that I absolutely love, he's also got an excellent ratio of great songs to forgettable ones (just that one) in my opinion.

Rock 'N' Roll,
-Ben

Afternoon Ben!

No disrespect to you, but Joe is untouchable right now. Most of us on the forum would even listen to "seasons in the sun" if he covered it.(LOL)

Shred

Hey Shredit!  I totally agree with you on that one.  In a time where a lot of newer music is like ground beef, Joe's is premium Grade A!  It's just what you're in the mood for, the porterhouse or the tenderloin.  He certainly is untouchable, no doubt about that.  Can't wait for my next show, still deciding on when/where.  Peace!

-Ben

morrowbj wrote:

Rock 'N' Roll,
-Ben

Wow...
I love that song. I know a lot of other people don't care for it either, but I think it's beautiful.
Simple and beautiful and beautifully sung.
To each his own. smile
I have other songs that I don't listen to as often myself... right now, anyway.
It's strange. When I bought SILT, I wasn't that into it. I guess I was more into ANDY live at the time.
I have since come to appreciate all of the arrangements on that CD.
Right now, I'm not so much into Django or Tea for One.
Guess it depends on my frame of mind. I ALWAYS go back to ANDY live though.
Hope he does some more live CD's. THAT would be great!
Just as long as he keeps Rockin the Blues..... it's all good!

Julie in Green Bay

Shredit wrote:
morrowbj wrote:

Rock 'N' Roll,
-Ben

Afternoon Ben!

No disrespect to you, but Joe is untouchable right now. Most of us on the forum would even listen to "seasons in the sun" if he covered it.(LOL)

Shred

If joe covered seasons in the sun ,he would make it rock somehow.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky