Topic: Joe's Strats and Hum

Hey everyone,

I've seen Joe live now twice in the last 6 months and have watched video footage - does anyone know how he keeps his Strats single coils on the quieter side and sounding so thick? Sometimes when I'm listening to one of his cds I think its a LP and then find out it's a strat or stat-type. 

Many Thanks!
Marc

2 (edited by Ballgame 2007-05-09 16:08:01)

Re: Joe's Strats and Hum

he uses a les paul in the studio as well.  He lays one track for the left and right side.  Not every song but he does use a les paul.
You and Me is mostly Les Paul and E335

Also Im not the one to answer this but Id be surprised if they are single coil.  I know the Clapton Strat that he uses all the time has the noiseless PUs

3 (edited by CodeTitan 2007-05-09 21:09:21)

Joe likes to roll down the tone control when he is playing the bridge pickup.  Eric Johnson does this also.  It gives the guitar a warmer and fatter humbucker type tone.  He has his Strats wired so that the 2nd tone control is wired solely to the bridge pickup.  Also, add some extra gain when playing single coils.  On top of that Joe loves to use delay.  Most of these tips can be found on his instructional DVD.

CodeTitan is correct.

Joe is constantly fiddling with both his volume and tone controls...most others keep them all on ten.
Making a guitar sound thicker and quieter can be done this way.  Also, Joe rewires his strats so the middle doesn't have a tone control, but the neck and bridge pickups do.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Many Thanks for the replies.   I've always struggled keep a strat quiet.   I have custom shop strat that sits in the case because of the hum/hiss.   I've always wondered how the pros manage such things because I don't notice it when I see them live.  Another good example is Frusciante from the Peppers.

There is a new system from SUHR guitars. The "Silent Single Coil" system. You can have it fitted on your guitar, with your PUs. It's supposed to actually work, while still sounding like real SC PUs. You might want to try that.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

7 (edited by ZCat 2007-05-10 23:15:56)

I would say that if you're not hearing hum at a concert it's cause the guys are playing so loud it's covered up. Then, when they stop playing, they immediately turn the guitar volume off.

They probably also have their guitars shielded to the max to cut down the hum. You can see how to shield your guitar at the Guitarnuts site.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

Pretty much every guitar player who plays on stage like Joe will turn their guitar volume down when they're not playing... when they are playing (just as ZCat said) they're playing so loud you can't hear it.  The quietness you hear through Joe's strats is the fact that he plays so loud its impossible to hear the hum and he turns the volume off when he's not playing.

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

My stock strat pups (1981) were pretty noisy.  I put in Bill Lawrence L-290's and no more noise problems. Sheilding paint also helps but it's mostly the pups.

marcgomez71 wrote:

Hey everyone,

I've seen Joe live now twice in the last 6 months and have watched video footage - does anyone know how he keeps his Strats single coils on the quieter side and sounding so thick? Sometimes when I'm listening to one of his cds I think its a LP and then find out it's a strat or stat-type. 

Many Thanks!
Marc

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.