Topic: Joe's "new" project with....

...Joe Lynn Turner.

Geeks of Doom: You have a lot of interesting upcoming projects including working with Joe Bonamassa.

Joe Lynn Turner: Well Joe Bonamassa and I, not many people realize this now that he’s huge, that Bonamassa was on my first solo albums…he was sixteen I think at that point and we had written a lot of songs. So I was thinking of putting an album out, and all this has to be cleared with Joe of course and Roy Weisman his manager and everybody else, but I was thinking of saying, ‘I’ve got all these songs that we never put out on a record, titles like “As Far As You Can Get.”’ A friend of mine who produced [Bonamassa album] Blues Deluxe who used to produce Joe’s first albums he brought it up and said, ‘I’ve got all these stems, all these tracks’… I was like, ‘Wow, we got an album here.’ …so it’s kind of a cat in the bag right now because I’m doing a couple of other different projects and it’s on the back burner but it’s something to think about because it’s such a great idea. [Back then] Joe wasn’t even a singer.

Geeks of Doom: Really?

Joe Lynn Turner: Oh I had to kick his **** to sing! I was like, ‘Come on!’ Like a coach, you know, I was like, ‘You’ve got the tone, you’ve got the blues, you’ve got the soul. You got it! Just keep singing,’ I said. It’s like a muscle: you flex it, you work at it. Now he’s like singing like a champ, it’s unbelievable. I remember those days he was afraid to sing.

Re: Joe's "new" project with....

I think we need to know who the "Geeks of Doom" are and a time reference as well. Maybe a link?

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/05/31/i … nn-turner/

I like JLT a lot.  Sometimes he rocks, and sometimes he is too poppy.  Rainbow stint was great.  Yngwie was great.  DP was pretty good.  HTP was very good (Glenn Hughes and Joe Lynn Turner Project for those that don't know).  Some of his solo stuff is where my pop concern lies.  I hope this rocks.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Im not sure where that rummor started..  I have known JLT for 20 years... Would love to do a track again one day...  But right now there is nothing planned..

JLB

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Im not sure where that rummor started..  I have known JLT for 20 years... Would love to do a track again one day...  But right now there is nothing planned..

JLB

Actually it comes from an interview with JLT. There is a link to it earlier in the thread. Joe says he has thought about releasing some material cut back when you played on his solo album. There is an albums worth of materiel I guess culled from those sessions. He says he has not brought it up to you or Roy but Bob Held thinks it's a good idea. wink

I've never seen an interview with 'Joan Linda Turner' where he didnt belittle somebody elses achievements or dramatically enhance his own contributions.

He was the worst singer Rainbow had by a country mile and served only to help Ritchie (the greatest guitar player I have ever seen) get his 'pop' recognition.

I laughed hard at his reformed Rainbow project with JR Blackmore.  The little pot-bellied dwarf looked hilarious !!

Ironically Jurgen is a very talented player.  I e-mailed him when I bought his 1st solo EP and got back personal replies and a signed CD etc - really nice guy.

8 (edited by Kenny 2012-06-02 04:15:19)

Not a JLT fan then........................  smile

Kenny wrote:

Not a JLT fan then........................  smile

I recognise that he's an adequate singer, but if you listen to his interviews, he promotes himself as the absolute saviour of Rainbow and the man who single-handedly reconstructed Deep Purple etc.  he's the guy who put Ritchie and Yngwie in their places etc etc.

He drives me nuts.   Heres one from a series of interviews that I listened to a while back.  I havent re-listened to this clip, I just picked it at random and know that somewhere in it, he will declare himself as some sort of musical superman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rcfdFntrKs

hulldanfan wrote:

I just picked it at random and know that somewhere in it, he will declare himself as some sort of musical superman.

Well, according to the interview in the original post, he suggests he is the man who tought Joe Bonamassa to sing. He really has some pedigree doesn't he? wink

Well there you go !!

He also manages to crap a little on BCC. A compliment on one hand then a cheap shot on the other

I have had the pleasure of meeting and becoming an acquaintance/friends with JLT over the years and he is one of the nicest guys you can possibly meet.  I can see where he might not come off that way in interviews, but he is 100% passionate about his music and  he appreciates his fans much in the same way that Joe B. does.

I remember Joe B. replying years ago on this forum that they had talked about doing a "Free" type project some day if memory serves.  I think JLT comes from the Paul Rodgers school of singer..... very bluesy and soulful.  I would love to see some of this music that JLT is talking about see the light of day or have him guest on one of Joe B.'s records.   Perhaps they can cover a Free or Kossoff tune.   There's a great Back Street Crawler tune called "It's a Long Way Down to the Top"   You can find it on YouTube or ITunes.

Here is a link to a song called Bloodfire off of JLT self titled record.  Joe B. played on the record, though not this track.  This has a very Bad Co./Free vibe.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMyLQHaNjC4

My 2 Cents,

Frank

Thanks for the link Frank. That song definitely would not be out of place on a Bad Co record.

14 (edited by dknight16 2012-06-02 09:00:56)

I agree JLT thinks an awful lot of himself.  The hype does live up to the product.  But Rainbow's Difficult To Cure is a monster.  He is definitely not Rainbow's worst singer.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

15 (edited by hulldanfan 2012-06-02 13:47:57)

dknight16 wrote:

I agree JLT thinks an awful lot of himself.  The hype does live up to the product.  But Rainbow's Difficult To Cure is a monster.  He is definitely not Rainbow's worst singer.

Interesting. 

I am a huge Rainbow fan and have seen them many times including a few shows in the famous '76/77' years. Theres no touching Ronnie as a vocalist and Graham Bonnet, whilst initially a strange mix, had a range and power that JLT could only ever dream of.

That leaves Doogie White, and if you listen to Stranger In Us All, he was a much better fix.  A second album from that line-up was sorely missed.

However, if you want a laugh and want to see Ritchie on Acoustic with Doogie in an interview for Japanse radio, then watch this - One of my favourite YT clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egt7mJsIaJQ

I've seen Rainbow live with RJD, Graham, and JLT.  Never Doogie though.  I have all of the Rainbow CDs.  For me, Graham was the weakest and his short tenure in the band kind speaks to that.  His stint in MSG was equally short.  Graham's vocal range is too limited (although powerful) and he apparently acts like a twat in every band that tries to take him in.  Graham is the weakest link.

Bottom line is no project pending, period.  Done up back in the day, but not dealt out or done up properly, at least not at this point in time, whatever.  Stems?  Stems are worthless without roots, and roots are worthless without seeds bringing stems with branches growing toward the light of daylight (including actual, or even artificially generated hype).  SO, ownership of material belongs to______ (Joe Lynn Turner and Bob Held primarily).   And as a projected source of income for whom, and in what manner?  Is the material not worth pursuing on it's own merits with up to date interpretation by Joe Lynn Turner himself, as in minus Joe Bonamassa but including others?  IS this a ploy and / or a ploy to reunite the infamous second trio???!!!

Turner is very worthy of praise and recommendations, but shouldn't one go directly to J & R rather than toss "feelers" out?  Let's (please) let us know if something lands on solid footing..............both Joe's always seem to have an awful lot going on somewhere-past, present, and future.

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

ps-my post appears and may be interpreted as highly critical but it is not at all.  Just random bs ramblings of mine again...not to be taken personally by ANYONE

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

lazytrain wrote:

I have had the pleasure of meeting and becoming an acquaintance/friends with JLT over the years and he is one of the nicest guys you can possibly meet.  I can see where he might not come off that way in interviews, but he is 100% passionate about his music and  he appreciates his fans much in the same way that Joe B. does.

I remember Joe B. replying years ago on this forum that they had talked about doing a "Free" type project some day if memory serves.  I think JLT comes from the Paul Rodgers school of singer..... very bluesy and soulful.  I would love to see some of this music that JLT is talking about see the light of day or have him guest on one of Joe B.'s records.   Perhaps they can cover a Free or Kossoff tune.   There's a great Back Street Crawler tune called "It's a Long Way Down to the Top"   You can find it on YouTube or ITunes.

Here is a link to a song called Bloodfire off of JLT self titled record.  Joe B. played on the record, though not this track.  This has a very Bad Co./Free vibe.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMyLQHaNjC4

My 2 Cents,

Frank

Yes, I tend to agree with you that he does come from the Paul Rodgers school of singing.
He has been one of my favorite rock and soul singers and has worked with so many great people throughout his career.  He has a great voice.  Another singer that goes under the radar.

He probably has other stuff from other albums he has done as well.

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol