Topic: @Joe/Tec: Set Up of your Les Paul!

Hi Joe,

I recently bought a Les Paul and I would really be interested in which string gauge you use on yours and what the string height / action is on it.

Thankx in advance

Mikel

2 (edited by Ballgame 2006-05-31 10:37:29)

Re: @Joe/Tec: Set Up of your Les Paul!

Joe does come here but will probably be a while before he replies.  Im goingto guess but I would think he uses 11's. 

Personally I use Ernie Ball slinky 10's on my LP Custom

Here's a pic of mine.  Post ypour's if you can.  Would be cool top get a page with users axes

http://www.regionofdoomforum.com/Upload … %20009.jpg

EDIT: is there anyway to get an admin to turn the imagine tags "on"?

According to an interview in the Tonequest Report, Joe uses Dean Markley Nickle Wounds .11-.52. on his electrics. I don't know how much you play, but if you don't play a lot, 11s are going to be hard to deal with. I play some most every day and moved from 9s to 10s about a year ago. 10s will give you a nice increase in tone without bringing on a flareup of arthritis. His setup doesn't seem to be excessively high (a la SRV) but high enough to get the right tone and still be playable. Be sure to get someone to go over your setup if you change string gauge or your intonation will go south.

Blessings,
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

I have too agree with larry,   going up to 11's may be a little tough at first, i moved from 10s to 11's a couple of months ago and i notice that im settling in nicely, eventually i wan to play 12s but i  need for time to strengthen up first.  Im sure you can settle into 11s ok if you play a lot. 
Peace,
Conner

I've got 11's on my strat, and you can tell a big difference in playing that to my Les Paul - which has 10's on it.

I switch between using DR-pure blues nickel 10's or Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10's

I mean putting strings on a les paul is like putting tires on a corvette...it'll smoke no matter what, and you'll go through a lot of em doing it!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I have been using 11's and even 12s on a couple of guitars.... Boomers...at first it is a little stiff and tight, but I have been playing this weight for at least two years.  I don't notice the heaviness at all anymore...took about a month,  not until someone tries to play one of my guitars and whines..."these strings are too heavy boo hoo.  They really do get a thicker chunkier sound.

I use DR 11's on all my guitars, after plaing 11's for years I can't play 9's they break way to easy. 10's are a little better, but 11's are the way to go. I was breaking a lot of strings then a friend told me to try DR's Pure Blues strings and they really last twice as long as any other string.

When ever you do a string change do a setup, if your going from 9's to 10 or 11's you will have to adjust your neck and set your intonation. I play Strat's and I do five springs holding the bridge flat, I then set the action as low as I can with out buzzing.

I think it really all depends on what you're using for a guitar (or guitars) and what kind of strings you used in the past. I learned on 13's, and stuck with them for a while. I think the thicker your strings, the fatter your sound. But the guys on this board can all attest that 13's will KILL your fingers after playing four hours a day, 5 nights a week. It tends to wear you down. Eventually I was using 12's, and now I've permenantly settled in with 11's. I think it's great to start of huge, and work your way down. That way things are much easier. Also, bear in mind, when you switch gagues, many aspects of the guitar should be taken into consideration, i.e. Action, intonation, ect. These factors are dependant upon the type of string gague you use, and the scale legnth of the neck of your instrument.

Just my two cents.

San Dimas Footbal Rules

Theres many schools of thought on this one. I was using 11's in standard for years on my strats and my fingers were falling apart. I bought a PRS and slapped 10's on it and she screamed. I since switched to Eb and the 11's are fine on a strat but with my PRS and Les Paul, 10's are a bit loose, I am considering bumping up the gauge.
It's really what youre comfortable with. Also take into fact, atleast I've noticed, technique also changes a bit from guitar to guitar. Like my strats and teles I really have to dig and hammer at but if I do that with my PRS or the Les Paul it really kinda chokes the notes off. I would think that this is why my strats have far less paint and actual fret wire than my PRS and Les Paul. Anyway gonna see Joe tonight in Austin...see ya later..