Topic: Old school Journey

Just finished up listening to some vintage Journey. I know there are some young people on the forum ( your young if your under 30, and that's a good thing! ). If you want some progessive rock that you may have never heard. Take a look at the first 3 albums Journey put out in the 70's. " Look into the future" one of my favs. They were so different than what you hear on the radio these days. I called our classic rock station in Sac town a while back, asked why the old stuff is never played. He said it was mgmt. discretion to run the popular hits. Anyways it is killer, take it from this old hippie!

peace, Shredit

Re: Old school Journey

The 1967 thread reminded me of my 1968 Journey story..I spent every summer w/friends in the navy..5 kids....Lemore Naval Air station, hung out  with a local band called the "Sullies" Practice on the carport...2001..as I empty my mother's house I see my autographed picture of the Sullies...lead singer was Perry....then it hits me...Steve Perry!!..Journey!! there he is !!! How funny!!!!!

cathysiler wrote:

The 1967 thread reminded me of my 1968 Journey story..I spent every summer w/friends in the navy..5 kids....Lemore Naval Air station, hung out  with a local band called the "Sullies" Practice on the carport...2001..as I empty my mother's house I see my autographed picture of the Sullies...lead singer was Perry....then it hits me...Steve Perry!!..Journey!! there he is !!! How funny!!!!!

Were is Lemore located?

I found it, are you a cali. kid too?

SW of Fresno in California. I can't remember the name of the town nearby where they went to HS. He had just graduated.  They taught me how to "cruise main" and give the peace sigh!! LOL!!

I was at the BR Cohn charity concert in Sonoma a couple of years ago and the Gregg Rolie Band was part of the line-up. Gregg happened to stroll by before their set and I stopped him to say hello and asked what the new band was playin'. He said we play my old Santana hits and some new bluesy stuff. I replied any Journey stuff? his reply was a very blunt "not even F***in' goin' there." I dug the original Journey line-up and they were pretty easy to catch up with all over the Bay Area pre-Perry era.

Think Green,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Shredit..A friend of my parent's married a navy pilot widowed w/ 4 kids, then they adopted 1, so I got to travel all over the country in the summer.(Nanny of sorts). Spent "67 in Goletta/Isle-a-Vista?, then the base in 1968. Home base is MD. Do have a nephew in Santa Rosa.....Cathy

Hi Cathy,

Were you in Goleta when the UC students burned the place up when a war protest got out of control? My neice is a freshman down there right now.

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

cathysiler wrote:

Shredit..A friend of my parent's married a navy pilot widowed w/ 4 kids, then they adopted 1, so I got to travel all over the country in the summer.(Nanny of sorts). Spent "67 in Goletta/Isle-a-Vista?, then the base in 1968. Home base is MD. Do have a nephew in Santa Rosa.....Cathy

Nope, no nephews in Santa Rosa. Hope those storms back east stop soon, be safe.

No, silly, I have a nephew in Ca!lol I have a fire in the fireplace and doubts I'll make it to the river next weekend!  I't just windy here! I ain't a'scared a no storm......

cathysiler wrote:

No, silly, I have a nephew in Ca!lol I have a fire in the fireplace and doubts I'll make it to the river next weekend!  I't just windy here! I ain't a'scared a no storm......

My bad, no more heinekin. If rains more than a day we flip out in Cali. Dont even think about it when it falls before 40, that means putting on long pants and a coat. (LOL). East coast beware, this Cali. kid is coming to a town near you, and he dont sleep much when on vacation!

Peace, Shredit

OHIO...I don't remember that. We lived on the beach . I actually didn't like the hippies there as they were always trying to give wine to little kids because they thought it was funny to watch them drunk! I didn't bloom until late! Hippie Lettece and all! He- He- He!!!           And SHREDIT, Bring it on!!!!!!

Shredit wrote:

Just finished up listening to some vintage Journey. I know there are some young people on the forum ( your young if your under 30, and that's a good thing! ). If you want some progessive rock that you may have never heard. Take a look at the first 3 albums Journey put out in the 70's. " Look into the future" one of my favs. They were so different than what you hear on the radio these days. I called our classic rock station in Sac town a while back, asked why the old stuff is never played. He said it was mgmt. discretion to run the popular hits. Anyways it is killer, take it from this old hippie!

peace, Shredit

Good stuff for sure. We used to cover "Line of Fire" and a couple other old Journey tunes in one of the "Bar Bands" I was in back in the early 80's.

Julie's brother Steve has the original 1st recording of Journey.  The first time I heard it what a difference from the Steve Perry era.   It ROCKS!  Very impressive but I can see one reason for a band change.....Radio Play.

I still want a copy for my listening pleasure!

Just when I discovered the meaning of life, it changed.

Just got a new disc the other day from Neal Schon called Piranha Blues. Good stuff, the guy can play.  I highly recommend (sp?) it.

Take care everyone. And if I don't meet you no more in this world
Then ill, I'll meet you in the next one and don't be late, don't be late

Shredit wrote:

peace, Shredit

The first 2 journey albums are great progressive hard rock. saw them right after look into the future came out ,at a hockey rink with mahogany rush as the warm up.was right up on stage. neal schon was amazing , great band . totally different from when perry joined up.not nearly as commercial but I liked the sound of the original much more than the top 40 stuff. almost the same line up from the original santana with schon and rollie came out with a cd called abraxis pool several years ago. great cd if you like the original santana.check it out .There may be sound clips atb amazon, dont know.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

cathysiler wrote:

SW of Fresno in California. I can't remember the name of the town nearby where they went to HS. He had just graduated.  They taught me how to "cruise main" and give the peace sigh!! LOL!!

Hanford?... a tad closer to Visalia before Fresno started growing...doorway into Sequoia/King's Canyon National Parks
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I remember Steve Perry's story on Behind the Music on VH1 and he said he went to live with his grandparents on their turkey farm in Turlock, Ca. not far from the East Bay. In recent yrs. friends tell me he's been sighted out in the Sacramento River Delta area not far from Turlock. He mentioned on the show he'd just about given up on music, but decided to give it one more shot w/ Journey since turkey farming wasn't really workin' for him either.

Think Green,

J Dawg