Topic: pickup's voltmeter readings

Anybody know why the rythm pickup always reads less K than the Bridge's reading?
What would be wrong with putting a hotter pickup in the neck position?

I know EMG 81s are changeable from bridge to neck, but single coils?

any thoughts?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: pickup's voltmeter readings

Yes to 1,3, & 4; no to 2.....(I'm trying to pad my post count)
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Vintage pickups used to be all the same

with the same output on all pickups, you would get a volume drop
switching from the neck to mid to bridge

most "botique" strats sets have readings where the bridge is the highest output
then the mid, then the neck...they are "calibrated"

higher output neck pickups get muddy, you have more string definition
at the bridge, so you can increase it a bit more without getting muddy

from a physics point of view, there is a larger amplitude of string
movement at the neck, thats why it's louder,

so if i had a pickup that was 12k or higher at bridge, and a neck pu that was 7 or 5k - wouldn't it be a more balanced sound to have a 10k in the neck position?

i realize output can be balanced by pickup height, Im thinking about tone and everything else ( i guess) lol

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

so if i had a pickup that was 12k or higher at bridge, and a neck pu that was 7 or 5k - wouldn't it be a more balanced sound to have a 10k in the neck position?

i realize output can be balanced by pickup height, Im thinking about tone and everything else ( i guess) lol

well, the ohm reading isn't the only factor, as magnet type and strength is a plays a part

different magnets have different "tones", and strength, Ceramic sound diff than AlNiCo

and while the 10k neck may be more balanced with the 12, it would probably
be a bit dark, and muddier

the "balance" comes into play when switching between neck and bridge
you may have to adjust volume, or running neck and bridge together,
the bridge would overpower the neck

the only "matched" set I have is the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover
and BB1/BB2 in another...the are .5k apart
like neck 7.25 - bridge 7.75 k
or somehting like that

great all around, but if you want a killer mega bridge, may have to live without "balance"
not biggie...many of the big boys only use the bridge

6 (edited by gsj 2007-04-12 18:20:53)

Blimey, I've stumbled into a train spotting convention smile........only joking guys wink

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

The physics part part is extremely complicated, and the others factor beyond those described by Rick are the fact that reading a DC (fixed) Ohm measurement is NOT real life.  This is because your pickups are AC (changing), as are the notes played!  Therefore the impedance and phase angle come into play.  Higher frequencies in inductive circuits will have a higher reactance, which is the AC version of your ohm reading, and a higher output. On top of all that, playing high on the fretboard (all strings) shortens the length of the string as far as the pickup is concerned....that's why high 20's frets played nearest the neck pickup sound like one might think they would be plucked at the bridge...the pickups respond to STRING MOVEMENT (shorter movement at the ends of the string lengths than the middle areas).  Active pickups & EQ make sense regarding many "movement" thoughts about pickups.
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I see this topic is possibly on to something - voicing.

I threw together a Strat with Fender 57/62 pickups and installed them reverse-calibrated (althought they were all pretty close).  My goal was to have the warmest pickup at the neck.  You can calibrate the output by raising or lowering the pickups.  This is especially good in a Strat where the neck and middle pickup can cause "ghost" overtones when raised too close to the strings.

Other options to achieve a warmer voice in the neck position would be to use pickups with Alnico 2 or 3 magnets for this pickup.

The general rule for pickup manufacturers is to balance the output between pickup positions first, and worry about desired tone second.   Selecting pickups for individual positions for the purpose of output balance and tone requires a fair amount of self-education in pickup construction, and a bit of luck.

Craig's Guitar Tech Resource - free information online.
Guitar Repair and Customization in Northeast Ohio since 1979.

http://www.guitartechcraig.com

Stu you are right on the money here.   It's all tone and it's not all electronic.  I've seen guitars of the same brand, model and equip. and they sound different.  Stats of electronics is a good starting point but trust your ears.   Everyone's different and lets not even begin to do this with amps.  It will go on & on & on & on.......   Ha!

Just when I discovered the meaning of life, it changed.

Given, if something doesn't sound good - you toss it.

Relying on your ear can be costly when choosing pickups. I am first relying on my pocketbook and hoping that analyzing every possible aspect of a pickup can get me closer to making a good decision the first time around.