Topic: Learning to sing

Hello everyone:)

I've always wanted to learn how to sing. The thing is I don't think I have much of a voice at all and almost no control over it when trying to sing with a backing track. Is it possible for me to actually improve the TONE of my voice? What do you recommend? I remember Joe said he went through a stage in his late teens early 20s when he hated his voice...he said it was scratchy and generally not good...but look at him now! He's a great singer and I'm wondering if that was just a one off or can I do it too?

Thanks!:)

Re: Learning to sing

I have seen many interviews and posts on here where he talks about going to a vocal coach and taking vocal lessons. So maybe try that...I've tried learning to sing on my own...I can carry a tune somewhat but I would never be a lead singer of a band. I'm content with being a guitar player.

Everyone has a voice, if you are willing then its worth trying a few vocal coaching sessions. Singing is far more complex than it appears, good coaching will definately improve tone. Go with a recommended coach.

Jlowther wrote:

Hello everyone:)

I've always wanted to learn how to sing. The thing is I don't think I have much of a voice at all and almost no control over it when trying to sing with a backing track. Is it possible for me to actually improve the TONE of my voice? What do you recommend? I remember Joe said he went through a stage in his late teens early 20s when he hated his voice...he said it was scratchy and generally not good...but look at him now! He's a great singer and I'm wondering if that was just a one off or can I do it too?

Thanks!:)

Okay I'll try and get some lessons booked in my town! thanks guys

A short course with a good coach will get you started. Be warned, it is expensive, but if you consider what it costs against the 'feelgood' factor it can bring, consider it as a personal growth investment.

Everyone has a voice. What is important is that you also have an ear! You need to be able to hear and follow a melody. If your voice can follow that in tune then there is hope!

Some people just can't. They can be great musicians but can't sing a note in tune.

The biggest hurdle in beginning is FEAR. No body is any good in the beginning - no matter how it sounds in the shower or car.

Find out what your singing voice can do first and then you can work on tone. But honestly, you can do more with breathing and phrasing correctly.

I still use the warm up sequences I learnt at the very beginning from a CD tutorial.

Don't be alarmed when you hear yourself (recorded I mean). I hate my voice to this day but other people tell me that it is great, but I can't stand it and it embarrasses me to hear it most times. But the other day the mp3 was on shuffle and Thin Lizzy's 'Suicide' came on. It was live but it wasn't Phil singing and I couldn't place what version it was. I realised then that it was my own band! Crazy I know but I left them last year and hadn't heard for ages. It didn't sound half bad!

Trust me when I tell you there is nothing like singing your heart out. The sense of freedom and the great feeling of wellbeing can't be beat. Hope you try it!

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

6 (edited by Jlowther 2012-01-07 16:54:13)

hansamike wrote:

A short course with a good coach will get you started. Be warned, it is expensive, but if you consider what it costs against the 'feelgood' factor it can bring, consider it as a personal growth investment.

Everyone has a voice. What is important is that you also have an ear! You need to be able to hear and follow a melody. If your voice can follow that in tune then there is hope!

Some people just can't. They can be great musicians but can't sing a note in tune.

The biggest hurdle in beginning is FEAR. No body is any good in the beginning - no matter how it sounds in the shower or car.

Find out what your singing voice can do first and then you can work on tone. But honestly, you can do more with breathing and phrasing correctly.

I still use the warm up sequences I learnt at the very beginning from a CD tutorial.

Don't be alarmed when you hear yourself (recorded I mean). I hate my voice to this day but other people tell me that it is great, but I can't stand it and it embarrasses me to hear it most times. But the other day the mp3 was on shuffle and Thin Lizzy's 'Suicide' came on. It was live but it wasn't Phil singing and I couldn't place what version it was. I realised then that it was my own band! Crazy I know but I left them last year and hadn't heard for ages. It didn't sound half bad!

Trust me when I tell you there is nothing like singing your heart out. The sense of freedom and the great feeling of wellbeing can't be beat. Hope you try it!

Hi thank you very much for the excellent reply! When you said don't be alarmed when you hear yourself recorded and hate it...that was a relief for me because just for fun I did it once and HATED my voice. Fear is another big thing...when I'm nervous and try to sing or talk my voice goes all shaky...is that something that will disappear?

Also, I realise you can't make yourself sound more like someone else but could I, for example, learn to shape a good blues voice, or rock voice instead of a mixture of everything?

Sorry for the delay in answering.

If George (Amsterhammer) reads this, this topic might be another one to move to 'Other Topics' as it isn't specifically Joe related.

The short answer is yes, of course you can shape your voice. Depending on the tone of your voice and what key better suits it, that might dictate the music where it fits better, of course.

That said, you can adjust the instruments on certain songs to assist you.

I mean, if you listen to a lot of blues and what to sing that then you can ape some of the techniques you hear. If you have an 'ear' as said before it is relatively easy to do. But first get the confidence in your singing.

I've said it on here before and it doesn't bother me to tell again, but I really starting singing once I had mastered Barry Manilow! I don't do him now, of course (unless I really have had too much), but I still know all the words.

Mark Knopler was fun, but more like grunting of sorts. Hardest is Bon and I wouldn't even bother trying with Brian J. or Percy Plant. I hate having to ask the guys to drop a half tone for me, but it is better than it sounding crap. Still it does mean that they then have an another guitar on the stage and they love having that!

When you are singing it is important to know you have a bit of space for that extra gear, but if you are singing at your limit already there is nowhere to go, so you can't give it any tonal light and shade.

The way I view is that I can sing rock, which I consider the hardest to do for me (opera is a no go anyway), so after that I think I can develop it for anything else I m ight need. Thats the theory for me anyway.

Good luck. Mail me direct if you want to discuss it any further. Don't know if I can help but you never know.

hansamike wrote:

If George (Amsterhammer) reads this, this topic might be another one to move to 'Other Topics' as it isn't specifically Joe related.

Hadn't noticed this before - good call, Mike.

Sadly, I can't add anything of use to the topic. Never could sing, always hated the sound of my voice, still do. sad

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

hansamike wrote:

The short answer is yes, of course you can shape your voice. Depending on the tone of your voice and what key better suits it, that might dictate the music where it fits better, of course.

That said, you can adjust the instruments on certain songs to assist you.

I mean, if you listen to a lot of blues and what to sing that then you can ape some of the techniques you hear. If you have an 'ear' as said before it is relatively easy to do. But first get the confidence in your singing.

I've said it on here before and it doesn't bother me to tell again, but I really starting singing once I had mastered Barry Manilow! I don't do him now, of course (unless I really have had too much), but I still know all the words.

Mark Knopler was fun, but more like grunting of sorts. Hardest is Bon and I wouldn't even bother trying with Brian J. or Percy Plant. I hate having to ask the guys to drop a half tone for me, but it is better than it sounding crap. Still it does mean that they then have an another guitar on the stage and they love having that!

When you are singing it is important to know you have a bit of space for that extra gear, but if you are singing at your limit already there is nowhere to go, so you can't give it any tonal light and shade.

The way I view is that I can sing rock, which I consider the hardest to do for me (opera is a no go anyway), so after that I think I can develop it for anything else I m ight need. Thats the theory for me anyway.

Good luck. Mail me direct if you want to discuss it any further. Don't know if I can help but you never know.

Hello! Also sorry for the late reply. Yes I can tell by listening to certain singers who their influences are...the most obvious one I've heard is the SRV influence on Joe in 'long distance blues' from the blues deluxe album. This got me thinking and made me see it's possible to shape your voice and tailor it to your preference. Thanks for the reply my friend and yes I will mail you with anymore questions I have!

What is a bad voice? Yes we all know one, but how is it bad? Can't hold the notes? Can't sing along to the melody? Tone deaf?

OK the last of these gives a major problem 'cos if your brain causes what you sing to sound NOTHING like what you heard - then that is bad and I wouldn't know how to go about fixing that.

Thing is, most people say they can't sing after trying to sing along with Mariah Carey's multi octave warblings, or some other supreme vocal talent. Not the best way to judge.

How many singers can honestly reproduce their studio sounding vocals live? Not too many. My only example would be Arnel Pineda from Journey who, somehow, reproduces Steve Perry's studio sound. Amazing.

So don't judge yourself by the songs you can't sing. Judge it by the ones you can. Know the melody, know the words. Try 'Happy Birthday' for instance. If you kill that then maybe there is no chance, but believe, me there are so many different ways to sing it, there should be a version for everyone.

My warm up song backstage, or in the parking lot is 'Wichita Lineman'. Can't tell you how I came to that, but somehow it gives me what I need. I guess it is a case of that I have the soul of a rocker but the voice of a crooner. Maybe I need to start accepting that sometime soon..................

I never cease to be amazed at what I can sing and what I can't.  Some Sinatra version of "Luck Be a Lady Tonight," was on somebody's mix.  (I was not hanging out with my usual rogues) and I blew the song out of the room.  I was surprised...sorta? 

Was that you Doc?  Yeah I like that tune.

The hardest thing I do and I don't do it well is play bass & sing.  Because I'm an aggressive bass player, I have to really work to sing like I mean it and still push the band down hill.  ah well

MuchWork
BigJeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

bigjeffjones wrote:

I never cease to be amazed at what I can sing and what I can't.  Some Sinatra version of "Luck Be a Lady Tonight," was on somebody's mix.  (I was not hanging out with my usual rogues) and I blew the song out of the room.  I was surprised...sorta? 

The hardest thing I do and I don't do it well is play bass & sing.  Because I'm an aggressive bass player, I have to really work to sing like I mean it and still push the band down hill.  ah well

MuchWork
BigJeff

Something I'm working on BJJ! You inspired me to pick it up and I have to say I am enjoying it, but it is slow work. I started out singing at the same time and I will not be aggressive sadly. Also I find I adjust the vocal phrasing to keep the bass playing in order - but what the hell.

I want to say I am a musician one day even if it is with a very little 'm'. Good to have goals anyway.........

hansamike wrote:
bigjeffjones wrote:

MuchWork
BigJeff

Something I'm working on BJJ! You inspired me to pick it up and I have to say I am enjoying it, but it is slow work. I started out singing at the same time and I will not be aggressive sadly. Also I find I adjust the vocal phrasing to keep the bass playing in order - but what the hell.

I want to say I am a musician one day even if it is with a very little 'm'. Good to have goals anyway.........

No Shite?  Thank you, sir.  Email me, please.
http://www.bigjeffjones.com

MuchBoom
FDOL

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

I hate my voice, but i still sing...i do back up singing in my band, so i have to! big_smile

Do you like to sing and never had the chance to take a lesson or try it? Here are five easy tips for singing that you can start with now to get you on the way to starting the voice training lessons. If you give these a try you can and will improve your voice. Also once you have gone through this there is a bonus step that is amazing for helping your voice training. Finally here are a couple great tools you can use to help your training at the end of this article.

Find a place everyday where you can have fifteen to twenty minutes to yourself and give this a try. If you do this for a month you will notice improvements in your tone, breathe control and confidence in your singing. What ever style of music you want to sing is unimportant. What is important is getting started and seeing some results. This are basic techniques I have used personally and in my teaching for over 20 years.

So let's get into this and get you started with these simple free voice lesson techniques. These are the start of any good voice training lessons and they are free for you here.

five easy tips for singing -find a quiet place to do this. It may seem silly at the start but you will notice improvement if you are willing to try it.

1. Your body is your singing instrument. Stand up, place your feet shoulder length apart, place your shoulders back though still in a comfortable position, bend your knees slightly, imagine there is a hook in the center of your chest pulling up and slightly out and finally make sure your head and chin are down and the head is squarely over your shoulders.

2. Now open your mouth like your are going to yawn. Make a yawning sound that is audible while opening your mouth as wide as your would when you yawn. You should notice that your ears open up more. Your mouth is the resonance chamber of your voice just like the body of a guitar. When done correctly your ears will open and your jaw should relax.

3. Let's begin this step with a very simple breath control exercise that has help hundreds of people increase breath strength and control. Place your forefinger and middle finger about 1 inch (10cm) below your diaphragm, Breathe from your stomach making sure your chest feels the hook pulling it up and slightly outward and repeat the sound TU as many times as you can. Do this as many times on one breath as possible stopping when you run out of breath. Try to maintain the body position in step one so that your are not changing the your voice's instrument.

4. Start with any tone that is comfortable. Your range does not matter for this, using middle C on a piano works. Then on that same note you will sing MA ME MI MO MU holding out the last one as long as you can. Try to over-pronounce more than you would when speaking. Now move up a whole or half step, meaning sing a bit higher pitch note this time and repeat this going up each time as long as it is comfortable. Do not strain yourself and stop if you feel dizzy of out of breath.

5. Now your are going to sing the sound OHM just like in meditation, again starting with a note that is comfortable and easy. You will sing this for as long as you can. Notice your sound and how your voice is while you are singing. Does it waiver or faulter? If so keep going. This will improve over time, what this does is help with breath control and tone at the same time. (We can expand on this in further steps later.) Do not judge or push at this point. We are starting to get the basics of a great singing foundation set here.
If you want to concentrate on pitch then you can learn to master absolute pitch and relative pitch with this amazing course

16 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2015-02-20 20:57:19)

also wondered if you can make a bad voice good with enough work.

For 99% of people (maybe some folks have physical/brain issues that make it impractical), yes, absolutely.  And don't forget, even the nastiest tone is the right tone for something.  The voice is unique in that the instrument is your body, so there's going to be more physical constraints than, say, guitar or piano, but it doesn't negate the point.  And of course everyone will have different tone, but that doesn't mean you can't improve.  My wife is an amazing singer, but her voice isn't right for some genres.  For others, it's perfect.

+1 on working on your ear - it doesn't matter what instrument - singing, drums, guitar, viola - if you can't hear it, you can't play it.  Building the connection between your voice and your ears really strengthens both.

+1 on finding a teacher, especially in the beginning.  I started form literally ground zero - couldn't sing a note.  Took lessons for a little while just to get some direction and it helped greatly.  It wasn't a long term commitment but it gave me an idea how to approach learning to sing, and what types of things to work on.  Invaluable as a starting point for someone like me, who started singing pretty late (late 20s) and had practically zero ability before.

There are so many way to learn to sing!  I am so happy for you!  For some tips and tricks, check out this FREE book!  begin2sing[dot]com/s/freebook