Topic: Can't touch this... well, Joe can :)

Found this one on Youtube by Eric Johnson. Never heard it but it is definitely my favorite one by him now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezbLcfB7QvU

Re: Can't touch this... well, Joe can :)

I love Eric Johnson. I've always thought this would be a great one for Joe to cover: http://www.ericjohnson.com/audio/zap.mov

Seeing that video and the other one got me to thinking about these guitarists that are from another planet: Joe, Jimi, E.J. etc. What was it like the first time they picked up a guitar? Was there something special there already? When did they realize they were gifted? How long did it take them to reach the point where they were at the level that the average person could never reach? smile

Here's the song that did it for me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAF2b6fc … mp;search=

Been a fan ever since I heard it the first time, and had the opportunity to see him live, once...even with a bad cold he played circles around most guitarists I'd seen up to that point (but before I discovered Joe) and greeted at least a hundred people standing in line outside in the middle of a freezing January night in Towson, MD to shake hands & sign autographs between blowing his nose.

Love the "Ah Via Musicom" album.....even the sappy vocal stuff like "Desert Rose".

Keep on rockin' the blues....

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

On a side note... speaking of Eric Johnson and his involvement with G3, I've  heard that KWS was an invited guitar player with G3. If he was, why not Joe?

He was an opening act.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

David wrote:

Seeing that video and the other one got me to thinking about these guitarists that are from another planet: Joe, Jimi, E.J. etc. What was it like the first time they picked up a guitar? Was there something special there already? When did they realize they were gifted? How long did it take them to reach the point where they were at the level that the average person could never reach? smile

Born with it! I've had friends who have played for what seems like a life time. There brain only takes them so far. God made these guys different. It's like the guys you play little league baseball with, you know within a few years they will be better than you no matter how hard you try.

Deezer wrote:

He was an opening act.

Then Joe can be too smile

9 (edited by Fretwork 2007-04-08 11:43:09)

Shredit wrote:
David wrote:

Born with it! I've had friends who have played for what seems like a life time. There brain only takes them so far. God made these guys different. It's like the guys you play little league baseball with, you know within a few years they will be better than you no matter how hard you try.

Or you could be like me and just keep pretending that you're gifted and were "born with it".  It works in my head . . .

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Kenny Wayne Shepherd was the Main Act on G3 in 1997.
It was Robert Fripp, Kenny Wayne, Steve Vai, and then Joe Satriani.

I'm with you David,  I would love for Joe to be part of G3 someday.  I'm sure the G3 fans would love it too.
I think Joe and G3 are meant for each other.  Look at the guitarists that have been apart of what Joe Satriani created.  Now ther is a B3.  So Right on!

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:

I'm with you David,  I would love for Joe to be part of G3 someday.  I'm sure the G3 fans would love it too.
I think Joe and G3 are meant for each other.  Look at the guitarists that have been apart of what Joe Satriani created.  Now ther is a B3.  So Right on!

Not trying to be a smart arse but that would of been G4. I don't know anything about the history of G3 I bought the DVD with Eric Johnson as a part of it. I also saw Eric for the first time by just happening on the Austin City Limits show. I saw him for the first time live at the Austin City Limits Festival. He did a version of a Hendrix song from the AYE album that was brilliant. Don't know what song it was but it was the best thing i heard that weekend till I strolled over to the stage Joe B was playing.

There is a market in the shredder guitar genre. Eric certainly fits in it more easily than Joe or even KWS. I believe that the 90% guy audience that make up their deomographic are the ones that read the guitar mags and they more and more are being exposed to Joe. I just don't listen to that on a regular basis. I still feel Joe's market is more the mainstream classic rock crowd. The crowds that like lyrics in between fret board fireworks displays.

The best reason for G3 to invite Joe along would be to have somebody that can sing during the last jam. Not that Eric can't he just doesn't have a bluesy voice.

Actually, you could call it G5 since Tony MacAlpine is a great guitarist in his own right.  He's in Steve Vai's band in which he plays both keyboards and guitar.  And you can also add G6, since you never know what special guest is going to come up and join the boys wink   

What's great about the G3 tour for the guitarists playing is that it's not a long tour.  For instance,  the G3 2007 tour ran from March 14th thru April 14th.  Then they play 2 more dates:  6/28 in Portugal and 6/30 in France.   

John Petrucci still does his Dream Theater albums and tour.  They schedule it so it doesn't interfere with the artist's other projects and touring.  So if the opportunity ever arose, it may be worth looking into. 

With the marketing aspect, Joe's main audience is the classic rock crowd like you and me Jim smile
Joe's Satriani's G3 tour already brings in a built-in audience that would very much appreciate seeing someone of Joe's caliber.  G3 audiences are very loyal and love to talk about what they've just seen. 
Believe me, they'll be spreading the word.

And I would love to see Joe playing with the other guitarists on stage and singing during the last jam smile

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

That Austin City Limits show is available on DVD as part of the "Live In Austin" series.  Walmart carries 'em and you can problably get it on EBAY too,  Eric is terrific and definitely was unusual when he came out.  My problem is that I really can't take much of his singing....it's not his fault...he just wasn't born with a terrific-toned voice.  He doesn't really wander around much on his tones either...something I love about Joe's stage show....several guitars, EVERY pickup position...volume/tone knob exploration.....it's all good.

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.

14 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2007-04-19 11:24:02)

Shredit wrote:
David wrote:

cmon nobody is born with it. The guys you know have probably plateau'd in their practicing and just need a shot in the arm or some inspiration. The brain can take you as far as you'd like it to. God made everyone equal in my opinion, it's just a matter of how good you want to get & and how bad you want it.

Do you have any idea how many hours a week these players play? The guitar is like another human body part to them because they practice and constatly perform. I'd say ask any famous musician if they were 'born with it' or if they 'had to practice their **** off & still do' I'm sure you'd hear more of the latter.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB..While I'm not a player, I have to agree that some people do have a "gift". We don't all hear music the same. For example, it always amazes me to watch people who have NO rhythm!!! I do believe that practice and study are needed to develope the "gift". Look at Jeff Beck, he's got the gift and it comes easily to him, but he'd rather work on cars!! Then there's the poor soul who works hard at playing but never reaches beyond mediocrity!  Passion matters and you've got it....Cathy

jim m wrote:
The RiverCat^-^ wrote:

Not trying to be a smart arse but that would of been G4. I don't know anything about the history of G3 I bought the DVD with Eric Johnson as a part of it. I also saw Eric for the first time by just happening on the Austin City Limits show. I saw him for the first time live at the Austin City Limits Festival. He did a version of a Hendrix song from the AYE album that was brilliant. Don't know what song it was but it was the best thing i heard that weekend till I strolled over to the stage Joe B was playing.

There is a market in the shredder guitar genre. Eric certainly fits in it more easily than Joe or even KWS. I believe that the 90% guy audience that make up their deomographic are the ones that read the guitar mags and they more and more are being exposed to Joe. I just don't listen to that on a regular basis. I still feel Joe's market is more the mainstream classic rock crowd. The crowds that like lyrics in between fret board fireworks displays.

The best reason for G3 to invite Joe along would be to have somebody that can sing during the last jam. Not that Eric can't he just doesn't have a bluesy voice.

Jim, for me, The best added to singing reason for G3 to invite Joe along would be.....THEY need the publicity boost!!!! I look forward (nay, pray) for the day (not that I wish bad on G3 sales)...
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Cathy.....actually....there are some people who will NEVER get rhythm.....sad to say....just like some people can't hear relative pitch when someone sings. They may get a feeling that something's not right but they don't know if the singer's flat / sharp...or just lousy.

I've done studio work for nearly 20 years and I can tell you that the people on the first few weeks of the American Idol auditions certainly do exist...they actually believe they can sing for whatever reason (usually friends or family not being honest with them).  It's downright painful to deal with at times.

que sera sera!

cathysiler wrote:

NPB..While I'm not a player, I have to agree that some people do have a "gift". We don't all hear music the same. For example, it always amazes me to watch people who have NO rhythm!!! I do believe that practice and study are needed to develope the "gift". Look at Jeff Beck, he's got the gift and it comes easily to him, but he'd rather work on cars!! Then there's the poor soul who works hard at playing but never reaches beyond mediocrity!  Passion matters and you've got it....Cathy

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.

Guitgator, How do you cope with "bad" music!!  Can't watch AI even at the end! Painful! You have my sympathies!! But, what a GREAT job!! I remember how thrilled I was to have an equilizer for my home. I can only imagine....