Topic: Tesla w/ Joe Bonamassa?

Joe's stop in Clear Lake, Iowa is being billed as "Tesla with Joe Bonamassa". I listened to some Tesla, but they don't sound much like the Blues I would love to hear Joe play.

My question is: does anyone know if this would be a Blues performance? I'm sure Tesla is good, but just not what I'm interested in.

Re: Tesla w/ Joe Bonamassa?

Joe is opening for Tesla.  His set will be his normal one though maybe a little bit shortened.  The manager told me awhile back that he's tentatively scheduled for about 75 minutes.  Tesla's style is different, but I'm going to see Joe anyway.

The following is from allmusic.com

"Although Tesla emerged during the glory days of hair metal, they never completely fit the spirit of the times. Their music was well-produced pop-metal, to be sure, but they never indulged in the glammed-up excess that made cartoons out of many of their peers. Instead, Tesla's music was bluesy, no-frills, '70s-style hard rock; it concentrated more on solid musicianship than enormous, arena-ready choruses (or hairdos), and it had a noticeable grit — not so much the urban sleaze of Guns N' Roses, but a grounded attitude and a genuine affection for old school hard rock. Despite their refreshing lack of posturing, Tesla was just as hard-hit as the rest of the pop-metal world when grunge wiped out classic-style hard rock, but they did produce one of the more respectable bodies of work of the era."

I've noticed that the Surf Ballroom has kind if a pattern of having blues acts open for 80's metal bands.

Also, it's becoming increasingly common for 2 bands with very different styles and different fan bases to play the same shows and festivals, with the theory being that you can sell more tickets if you're attracting 2 different crowds, rather than booking 2 bands that have a similar fan base. I think it's cool, I like seeing really different acts in the same night.

the dude wrote:

His set will be his normal one though maybe a little bit shortened.

just to be clear, "normal set" means Blues?

Tesla is a very good band.... listen to the "Five Man Acoustical Band" cd.

Stu Craig wrote:

The following is from allmusic.com

"Although Tesla emerged during the glory days of hair metal, they never completely fit the spirit of the times. Their music was well-produced pop-metal, to be sure, but they never indulged in the glammed-up excess that made cartoons out of many of their peers. Instead, Tesla's music was bluesy, no-frills, '70s-style hard rock; it concentrated more on solid musicianship than enormous, arena-ready choruses (or hairdos), and it had a noticeable grit — not so much the urban sleaze of Guns N' Roses, but a grounded attitude and a genuine affection for old school hard rock. Despite their refreshing lack of posturing, Tesla was just as hard-hit as the rest of the pop-metal world when grunge wiped out classic-style hard rock, but they did produce one of the more respectable bodies of work of the era."

Very well put, Stu.  And their latest album is pretty good too !  One of the best live bands I've ever seen !  If you haven't seen Tesla live, you will not be disappointed ! This will be my 3rd Tesla concert and 3rd Joe show !  If the 3rd time's a charm, then I get to double dip !

Giggity, Giggity !!!!

Tesla has been one of my favorite bands since 1989. In fact, it is one of their songs, "Let's Toke About It" that got me into blues-rock. Also, guitarist Frank Hannon released a solo album last year which in my opinion was one of the best releases of 2005. Southern rock fans would also dig the band Moon Dog Mane that Frank was in in the late 90s when Tesla was on a hiatus.
Although Tesla enjoyed a relatively good commercial success in the early 90s, they remain in my opinion one of the very underrated bands of that time. "Modern Day Cowboy", "The Way It Is", "Song and Emotion" are fantastic pieces of these days.
A show with Joe Bonamassa opening for Tesla is simply one of the best concert I could ever think of.

Amorican wrote:

A show with Joe Bonamassa opening for Tesla is simply one of the best concerts I could ever think of.

Agreed !  Wild horses couldn't keep me away !

Does anyone remember seeing Bloodline open for Skynyrd back in the Summer of 1995 on the Calling Me Back Tour? They played about a 30 minute set, then Tesla played about an hour and Skynyrd headlined. They gave away about 30 Fender Strat's on that tour as a promotion with Bloodline.

So actually, Joe (with Bloodline) has already opened for Tesla :-)

Bp

Tesla is a decent band. I wouldnt mind seeing them live. However, they are no Joe Bonamassa. wink