1 (edited by Angela 2007-03-28 11:03:18)

Topic: Amazon Reviews/Recommendations

Last week I was shopping on Amazon and came across a Joe fan's reviews and a recommendation under my profile to check out Tommy Castro's new CD.  I finally bought Honeytribe's Torch (good) and ended up getting Tommy Castro's new one, "Painkiller".  I had heard of him before on here from Calif. Joan...He's really great, I need more, what should I buy next?  Love the way Tommy incorporates the horns and keys in his whole upbeat style.  He writes some great tunes, love the way he covered Freddy King's If You Believe (In What You Do).

The Joe fan's reviews- Anyone listen to Black Stone Cherry, Coco Montaga or John Mooney?  I love what this guy says about So It's Like That- "Where Have I Been For The Last Four Years" and ANDY-best debut album...The chat about the 80's-these 2 albums are timeless, won't ever sound dated!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-rev … amp;page=1

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Re: Amazon Reviews/Recommendations

Angela, I first heard of Tommy when he got rav's in a mag called CD review with his first cd. I don't recall the name ( I lost that one in the divorce) but I know it was considered better by my friends than the 2nd. The new one is excellent. He is a mainstay of the Blues Cruise and will be on tour with others from the cruise. He's also another of those really nice guys you love to support......Cathy

Castro opened for John Mayer's Blues Trio - thats where I heard of him. The word John Mayer is like a swear word to some around here, so keep it on the down-low! cool

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Okay I vote John Mayer no longer a swear word on the board, considering this, spoken from JB himself:

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

My new list of great guitarist to come out in the last 15 years

Derek Trucks
John Mayer
Kenny Wayne Shepard
Tom Morello
Sonny Landreth
David Grissom
Audley Freed
Kevin Briet
Ty Tabor
Dan Tyminski
Chis Whitely

they all are masters in the own field..  from Pop to Bluegrass
Some overlooked by RS some acknowledged
just my 2 cents
Joe Bonamassa

MAN, I loved the day I read that smile

And along with my beloved JM,  that Dan Tyminski is awesome. And if anyone here gets into more country/bluegrass, Alison Krauss and Union Station are great (Dan plays in the band). 

Okay sorry- I know this thread was about something else but I had to jump in where I saw Mayer smile

namaste

I would say pick up The Essential Tommy Castro 1 cd all all great songs

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

A.J. wrote:

Okay I vote John Mayer no longer a swear word on the board, considering this, spoken from JB himself:

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

My new list of great guitarist to come out in the last 15 years

Derek Trucks
John Mayer
Kenny Wayne Shepard
Tom Morello
Sonny Landreth
David Grissom
Audley Freed
Kevin Briet
Ty Tabor
Dan Tyminski
Chis Whitely

they all are masters in the own field..  from Pop to Bluegrass
Some overlooked by RS some acknowledged
just my 2 cents
Joe Bonamassa

MAN, I loved the day I read that smile

And along with my beloved JM,  that Dan Tyminski is awesome. And if anyone here gets into more country/bluegrass, Alison Krauss and Union Station are great (Dan plays in the band). 

Okay sorry- I know this thread was about something else but I had to jump in where I saw Mayer smile

namaste

Doesn't change my opinion of him. He's still a "pretty boy" with mostly young female fans.

Blues ain't nothin' but a good woman gone bad.

Angela wrote:

Last week I was shopping on Amazon and came across a Joe fan's reviews and a recommendation under my profile to check out Tommy Castro's new CD.  I finally bought Honeytribe's Torch (good) and ended up getting Tommy Castro's new one, "Painkiller".  I had heard of him before on here from Calif. Joan...He's really great, I need more, what should I buy next?  Love the way Tommy incorporates the horns and keys in his whole upbeat style.  He writes some great tunes, love the way he covered Freddy King's If You Believe (In What You Do).

The Joe fan's reviews- Anyone listen to Black Stone Cherry, Coco Montaga or John Mooney?  I love what this guy says about So It's Like That- "Where Have I Been For The Last Four Years" and ANDY-best debut album...The chat about the 80's-these 2 albums are timeless, won't ever sound dated!

Angela,

All of Tommy Castro's stuff is very good. I would suggest Essential Tommy Castro and Soul Shaker.  I would MANDATE you get his Live at the Fillmore, especially the DVD...great stuff.

IMO, he doesn't get the credit he deserves because he's not a monster guitarist.  But his band is incredible, he has one of the most soulful voices around, and he understands the art of when not to play, which many people don't have.

Also, I love Coco Montoya, but never been blown away by his albums.  Great live tho!

No matter how well you know someone, you can only ever guess.  How can you ever really know somebody else? It takes more than a lifetime just to get to know yourself.  Nobody knows the meaning of loneliness.  - Van Morrison

Thanks for the suggestions on Castro, Essential it is.  Mayer has certainly been the most verbally abused artist out there on message boards everywhere, even ones I don't read... A.J. I was thinking of you last week, my daughter talked me into giving her my credit card to join Mayer's fan club so I could take her to see him for her 15th birthday! His fan club works well for getting better seats before they officially go on sale.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Angela wrote:

Coco Montoya is probably who you're talking about. He's really good. Start out with Gotta Mind To Travel.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

John M wrote:

Doesn't change my opinion of him. He's still a "pretty boy" with mostly young female fans.

lol I thought your name was an homage to John Mayer, John M!

Opinions will continue so be subjective.... I gotta be honest I never heard of 80% of the people on Joe B's list.  It was however nice to see John Mayer <cough> (exuse me) holding the pseudo-proverbial-hypothetical #2 spot.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool