Topic: Malibu show

Saw Joe for the first time on the Blues Cruise in January 2006.  Absolutely loved him, couldn't wait to see him again.  Loved the cruise but biggest problem I had was the legnth of the shows, only 75 minutes.  Traveled up to Malibu to catch his show, love the new album but again what is with the short set??  Played maybe 90 minutes, played thirteen songs.  Need to know, is this the norm for Joe.  He mentioned he plays thirteen songs a day, seven days a week, etc.  Does he ever play longer and does he play without a set list??  Was going to catch him in Vegas for two nights but wondering if he plays the same set?  Anyone familiar with Joe's routine??

Re: Malibu show

Hello San Diego,  Joe normally plays about 90 minutes, sometimes shorter if he is opening for someone else.  If Joe played a two hour set each and every night as much as he tours, it would probably really taxing on him.  He seems to always uses a Setlist for his shows, and they might vary slightly from show to show.  Even though this is the case, it is amazing to watch him play and he does put in variations in his guitar playing night to night.  Hope you make it to Vegas...

Music is good for the Soul...

I've only seen a couple of complaints here about the similarities of back to back shows. I agree with David A. that even if you get the same sets, there are enough variations from night to night  to keep it interesting. I know when I saw Joe in Crystal Lake recently, he played very different sets, commenting that he was reversing the usual order on Friday night (last song first, etc.), but then played 2 or 3 songs on Saturday that weren't on Friday's setlist.
As far as the short set, I think I read somewhere that Joe said he'd rather put all his energy into a great 90 minute set instead of playing a 2 hour set that wasn't up to his standards. Personally, I'd listen if he wanted to play for 4 hours, but I've never been disappointed with the 90 minute sets. And yes, that is the norm.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Maybe it was my watch, but I had the Malibu show at closer to 2 hours.

Are you countin the encore with Carl Verheyen...awesome.
Hope you didn't leave early.

the setlist was a bit diff then when I saw him here in December, and a few
acoustic version were added, great stuff

also for fellow gear nuts, some nice new guitars were added to the mix
a black BB king, what looked like a 2 tone 56 relic strat. Being a strat guy,
if Joe played nothing but strats all night I'd be a happy camper

and Carl appeared to be playing a vintage strat through a Dr Z SR65
Joe and  Carl were tradin licks throughout the encore ... great stuff

met some really cool people there, some seeing Joe for the first time,
and as usual, were blown away, it was a fun show

if "So Many Roads" or "Your Funeral My Trial" is added to the set list
I'm goin to follow em around the country :-)

This show is available for download here:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=97401

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Show was close to 2 hours, as the encore went through several solos for Joe, Carl Verheyen and Mark Epstein.

Carmin Rojas in the house as well - very cool guy; Mike Himelstein as well.

Lots of interesting people in the crowd, recognizable faces that I couldn't put a name to and some that probably didn't want to be recognized.

Joe was absolutely on fire in some of the songs in the set (more than usual).

PC

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

Really wish I could have made the Malibu show. San Diego, I can say without reservation the shows in Vegas will be worth the trip. Since the shows are back to back and likely to draw the same crowd, you should expect a change in the playlist. And next time...if you're driving anywhere to see Joe from the SD area, give a sis a call!

The blues isn't about a look or a specific sound, the blues is something deep within. But the sound doesn't hurt things, you know? ~ Ben Hernandez