Topic: cover of guitar one with joe on cover - that red pick

isnt that the pick joe uses too???
its a jim dunlop JAZZ III or something???

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: cover of guitar one with joe on cover - that red pick

Yeah, it's a Jazz III.  The Gear Feature in this mag featured this pick--both the red and black.   Guitar One actually wanted to include a pick with each issue, but it was too expensive.

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

I think I read some where that a Joe signature version was in the making..........

I used to use one of those picks when I started out becaus my teacher used one. Then when I started gigging out, my hands got sweaty and I kept  losing them, or they'd rotate on me.  The bass player used these blue GATOR powdered picks, and I've been using those ever since...

maybe its time to switch back.

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

cathysiler wrote:

I think I read some where that a Joe signature version was in the making..........

Cathy, I'm the go between on that pick deal. Actually I tried to get it done last summer without much results. However after Joe's interview the powers that be @ Dunlop are a little more eager to get it done. NPB, I've been told that the guys that use those Jazz III's dig them for their gripability, is that even a word?

Think Green,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

6 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2007-03-29 12:26:53)

i dont know.  I dont hold my pick really correct, so i cannot vouch for grip ability
- plus i have sweaty hands. 

They are small picks though, take some getting used to.

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

i dont know.  I dont hold my pick really correct, so i cannot vouch for grip ability

But... once you've played with them for a little while you can't go back to anything else!  They're the best picks made ever...

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

kwsjb1238 wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

But... once you've played with them for a little while you can't go back to anything else!  They're the best picks made ever...

Mark Tremonti said the same thing.  He said that regular picks seemed like "paddles" after using them.

I want to try them, but I've been stuck on Fender Mediums for almost 20 years!  I actually don't care for the pointed tips on Fender picks though--I HATE new picks, but because I pick the strings at an angle and my pick attack is somewhat aggressive, they wear down nicely to a rounded tip after only a short while of playing.

I never looked into it, but I'm sure Fender makes a pick with a rounded tip that would save me the headaches.  I could also have my hubby dull the pointed ends with his dremel.

I guess at GIT some teachers actually teach you to play with the side of the pick, rather than the point.

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Fretwork wrote:

I want to try them, but I've been stuck on Fender Mediums for almost 20 years!  I actually don't care for the pointed tips on Fender picks though--I HATE new picks, but because I pick the strings at an angle and my pick attack is somewhat aggressive, they wear down nicely to a rounded tip after only a short while of playing.

I never looked into it, but I'm sure Fender makes a pick with a rounded tip that would save me the headaches.  I could also have my hubby dull the pointed ends with his dremel.

I guess at GIT some teachers actually teach you to play with the side of the pick, rather than the point.

Jazz III picks are small, but they do have different styles.  the one i played was very pointy on the tip, i also had one that had more of a rounded tip as well.  These picks are thick, it forces you to soften your attack and string approach and actually gives you a healthier pallet because you develop pronunciation when you DO want to really hit those notes hard.

I started with .46 medium light picks, and I am so glad to be away from them. I think the harder picks require less effort, and no "flicky" sound when you play chords. Not to say light picks are bad...I think Eddie Van Halen uses light picks - to each your own.

Eddie van Halen uses extremely thin picks... I have no clue how he plays that fast with such a thin pick...

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

i love the jazz threes.   switched to them about a month ago,  i wish i had earlier!
Peace,
Conner

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah