Re: Beacon Theater NYC

bigjeffjones wrote:
dcomiskey wrote:

I see here that the torrent was taken down. Would the same fate belie any vids uploaded to YouTube? I have "I'll Take care of You" on video that I'd like to upload. Certainly not DVD quality! smile

EDIT: I guess never mind. I see some other vids are posted, so I will go ahead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr1Mh7FplNk

I was pretty close to the guy who threw money up on stage. Personally, didn't think it was cool at all, esp given the show was being filmed. You just don't do that kind of thing. Security guard didn't look too happy, either... smile

BTW, Joe, this was one of the greatest live experiences I've had. You and Beth are incredible together and I hope you work together more. This particular performance was mind-blowing. You guys were on another planet.

Whoa! Please judge carefully...There was an inside story there with the 3$ toss.  I didn't get Joe's opinion about his own reaction to that, but I know Brother Rocket's motives were LOVE & fun.  They'll edit it out, if they don't want it there.

In his (Rocket's) particular entourage were folks from upstate NY, Fla, ChiTown, Kent and other far flung regions of the globe.  It was a good weekend for friends and extended Bonafamily.  Even Red was there marching by phone.

MuchSubwayHeadChopBusking
MuchLove
BJJ FDOL

Right on!

200 (edited by apexelectric 2011-11-12 10:11:19)

Came all the way from Colorado to see Joe at the Beacon.  Used to live in the area and have been to the Beacon many times but not for a long time.  When I heard the concert announcement I knew it would be an epic event and I was right.  Planned a small vacation around the show and was lucky enough to catch CSN the next evening. 

Would love to hear Joe's take on the evenings.  Also, I'm dying to know if he truly went to the subway platform to play.  Joe, chime in on this one or anyone who was close enough to him to comment on this.  Thanks to Joe for making the trip a momentous occasion for my wife and I.  Come back to see us in our neck of the woods.

BTW, the money toss on stage was classic.  Leave it in the DVD for sure.  Funny stuff!

"Don't need a helmet to get me through life, walk across the water, blame it on foolish pride"

apexelectric wrote:

Would love to hear Joe's take on the evenings.  Also, I'm dying to know if he truly went to the subway platform to play.  Joe, chime in on this one or anyone who was close enough to him to comment on this.  Thanks to Joe for making the trip a momentous occasion for my wife and I.  Come back to see us in our neck of the woods.

BTW, the money toss on stage was classic.  Leave it in the DVD for sure.  Funny stuff!

Yes, Joe did go down into the subway to play. There was a photo on Kevin Shirley's Facebook page. The money toss was indeed classic! Leave it to our own Rocket!

202 (edited by Michael 2011-11-21 19:04:34)

Beacon .... Definition  = (A person or thing that serves as a guide, inspiration, or warning)

Joe Bonamassa ..... Definition  =  (A person that serves as a guide and inspiration)
guide to those who believe in real live music and an inspiration to keep it alive for the future of Blues and Rock.

A little over 2 years has passed since the Joe Bonamassa Holy Grail show at The Royal Albert Hall  in London. Here he is in his home State playing at the equally impressive Beacon Theater on Broadway in New York City. He states that when he lived a few blocks up, he would walk past this grand theater often and dream of his seeing name on the marquee.

Well Joe Bonamassa stepped out onto the stage of The Beacon Theater at 8pm and set about parading his unique style of Raw Rock and Subtle Blues, but this was no normal full on electric Bonamassa assault, this was Supercharged to the max with the added energy of 3 very talented guests at the top of their game.
The show starts with the precision of an engine finely tuned on Slow Train, and it's full steam head for over 2 hours of Blues fused with Rock and Soul, Cradle Rock follows in raw fashion with it's jagged groove,then When The Fire Hits The Sea washes over you with that relentless riff,  that's a tremendous 3 song opening then out of the night flows the velvety Midight Blues Joe steps up to the microphone head slightly tilted at an angle as to caress the words to this atmosphere stealer, the audience watch in emotional silence as the guitar cries it's own lonely story, stunning, just stunning ... Up next is the expansive sound of Dust Bowl with it's Mid western theme and a rip snortin' solo to fade out into the distance, then there's no let up with The River making a very welcome return, slide guitar afficianados drop their jaws with glee as Joe tears it up dirty low and nasty.
Joe's first guest of the evening Beth Hart is welcomed with raptuous applause, they both pour their souls out on I'll Take Care Of You, a slow burning ember of a tune that captures the audience from the start and created a sumptous atmosphere with some tender soul, awesome. and the evening had just got rolling, next they brought some raw gospel blues to the room with Sinners Prayer, my lord it was religious and cleansing with Beth rasping her beliefs through tune, this huge musical extravaganza continues with the ever soul thieving Sloe Gin, it's intro takes you to a place thats other worldly, serene your heart is touched by it's violinesque beauty, this song opens up the soul of the audience who are silenced by the sheer poetry of this power gem, guitar notes soar and pierce the night which stun the listener.... truly epic and very fittting for this memorable night in Joe's career.
After the standing ovation subsides, the song just pours and pours emotion to you and you feel pure, standing ovation is compulsary .... You Better Watch Yourself comes out shuffling and the seats are rockin the whole place is alive and jumpin,  Oh Yeah wooo hooo.
The show just flows on through tunes like Steal Your Heart Away a bad a$$ slice of Zeppish Rock that floors with slabs of crunchy chords... a sweet change of pace as we move into the lonely realm of empty bar room heartache on Bird On A Wire, joe's vocals are hauntingly correct on this tale which showcase his soft subtle tone. The strong history laced  tune The Ballad Of John Henry follows in all it's glory with a chugging chunky riff to a real life fable of old America, Carmine Rojas hammers down the thickest layers of Bass Guitar imaginable resonating through everyone of the 3000 in attendance, Joe blends some wicked slide playing alongside the relentless rhythm, a show highlight for sure which leads us into the nights second guest Mr John Hiatt, the legendary American songbook writer and the pair provide us with John's very own Down Around My Place, a sad song about life's change put marvellously to word and then a very lively version of I Know A Place with a stomping midsection with smiling exchanges between Joe & John which connects to the audience, these excellent two songs give way to Blue And Evil, yes an evil riff moves along at a devilish pace and is driven by Tal Bergman's thunderous beat rockin' The Beacon.
Joe introduces his final guest for this momentous evening,
Paul Rodgers the classic vocalist who fronted Free, Bad Company and Queen too, Wow! he sounded so great and rocked it like old school, on Walk In My Shadows with it's funky rock groove and scorching solo the crowd lapped it up and more was to follow, the punchy Free tune Fire And Water tore out some Blues/Rock of the finest 70's calibre breed into a 2011 sure fire show stealer with screaming guitar to boot, Rodgers still has that magic rock god presence when you hear his voice, it is truly real rock tone vocals.
Mountain Time is Joe Bonamassa's very own signature tune and is another epic delivery in his repetoire which yet again can silence an audience with it's inbuilt arrangement of stunning beauty, and the guitar solo within tells it's own meandering tale of lonely life in the mountains,
a sublime finish to the main set, the band take their bows but soon return after continuous applause.
Joe alone with acoustic guitar plays his own classical blues piece Woke Up Dreaming, teasing the audience with every sinew of his skills, every spot on the 6 strings and fretboard are tested to their limits with 12 minutes of a stunning acoustic overture.
We arrive at the final song of the evening "Young Man's Blues", a full frontal assault brutally delivered in the rawest fashion that doesn't let the pace let up til the very last note of this absolutely amazing show.

So The Beacon Theater has been given The Joe Bonamassa treatment just lke The Royal Albert Hall and folks i gotta tell you it was as just as magnificent in stature and performance.
Infact i would go as far to say it was Joe Bonamassa's greatest show ever .....
Roy Weisman (Joe's Manager), Len Bonamassa (Joe's Dad) Both in attendance and even Joe himself have said same, don't take their word, get the dvd when it comes out ......
Yep it's time for The Royal Albert Hall show to step aside, The Beacon Theater show is
Joe Bonamassa's new benchmark.

............. Michael

ps .... tired last night, so hopefully put it right  cool

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Thanks for that Michael and welcome home? You sure picked the best possible moment to see Paul Rodgers (refer our previous conversation). Bring on the dvd.

Kenny

Yeah that's what I said!  roll Almost exactly...  lol   I had the distinct pleasure of head butting with Michael an entire weekend in NYC.  We each said of the other, what a character he is.   tongue   A lovely time.  cool

Well done Ace!  Very well done indeed!  smile

MuchLove
BifJegg

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Lee wrote:
apexelectric wrote:

Yes, Joe did go down into the subway to play. There was a photo on Kevin Shirley's Facebook page. The money toss was indeed classic! Leave it to our own Rocket!

Don't see it.  Can you post a link?

If you look up to the heavens just before the start of every Joe Bonamasaa concert you can see Stevie, Jimi, Muddy, Gary and others leaning over God’s railing jockeying for the best view. 
And if you listen, you can hear Stevie say  “ SHHhhhh,  The kids about to start playing.”

Michael wrote:

Beacon .... Definition  = (A person or thing that serves as a guide, inspiration, or warning)

Joe Bonamassa ..... Definition  =  (A person that serves as a guide and inspiration)
guide to those who believe in real live music and an inspiration to keep it alive for the future of Blues and Rock.

A little over 2 years has passed since the Joe Bonamassa Holy Grail show at The Royal Albert Hall  in London. Here he is in his home State playing at the equally impressive Beacon Theater on Broadway in New York City. He states that when he lived a few blocks up, he would walk past this grand theater often and dream of his seeing name on the marquee.

Well Joe Bonamassa stepped out onto the stage of The Beacon Theater at 8pm and set about parading his unique style of Raw Rock and Subtle Blues, but this was no normal full on electric Bonamassa assault, this was Supercharged to the max with the added energy of 3 very talented guests at the top of their game.
The show starts with the precision of an engine finely tuned on Slow Train and it's full steam head for over 2 hours of Blues fused with Rock and Soul, Cradle Rock follows in raw fashion with it's jagged groove then When The Fire Hits The Sea washes over you with that relentless riff,  that's a tremendous 3 song opening then out of the night flows the velvety Midight Blues Joe steps up to the microphone head slightly tilted at an angle as to caress the words to this atmosphere stealer the audience watch in emotional silence as the guitar cries it's own lonely story, stunning, just stunning ... Up next is the expansive sound of Dust Bowl with it's Mid western theme and a rip snortin' solo to fade out into the distance then there's no let up with The River making a very welcome return, slide guitar afficianados drop their jaws with glee as Joe tears it up dirty low and nasty.
Joe's first guest of the evening Beth Hart is welcomed with raptuous applause, they both pour their souls out on I'll Take Care Of You, a slow burning ember of a tune that captures the audience from the start and created a sumptous atmosphere with some tender soul, awesome an the evening had just got rolling, next they brought some raw gospel blues to the room with Sinners Prayer, my lord it was religious and cleansing with Beth rasping her beliefs through tune, this huge musical extravaganza continues with the ever soul thieving Sloe Gin, it's intro takes you to a place thats other worldly, serene your heart is touched by it's violinesque beauty, the songs just pours and pours emotion to you and you feel pure, standing ovation is compulsary .... You Better Watch Yourself comes out shuffling and the seats are rockin the whole place is alive jumpin  Oh Yeah wooo hooo, the show just flows on through tunes like Steal Your Heart Away a bad a$$ slice of Zeppish Rock that floors with slabs of crunchy rock... a sweet change of pace as we move into the lonely realm of empty bar room heartache on Bird On A Wire, joe's vocals are hauntingly correct on this tale which showcase his soft subtle tone, the strong history laced  tune The Ballad Of John Henry follows in all it's glory with a chugging chunky riff to a real life fable of old america, Carmine Rojas hammers down the thickest layers of Bass Guitar imaginable resonating through everyone of the 3000 in attendance, joe blends some wicked slide playing alongside the relentless rhythm, a show highlight which leads us into the nights second guest John Hiatt, the legendary american songbook writer and the pair provide us with Mr Hiatt's very own Down Around My Place a sad song of change put marvellously to word and then a very lively version of I Know A Place with a stomping midsection and smiling exchanges between Joe & John which transfers into the audience, these excellent two songs give way to Blue And Evil, yes an evil riff moves along at a devilish pace and is driven by Tal Bergman's thunderous beat rockin' The Beacon.
Sloe Gin opens up the soul of the audience who are silenced by the sheer poetic beauty of this power gem, violin guitar notes soar and pierce the night which stun the listener.... truly epic and very fittting for this epic night in joe's career.
After the standing ovation subsids Joe introduces his final guest for this momentous evening
Paul Rodgers the classic vocalist who fronted Free, Bad Company and Queen, he sounded so great and rocked it like old school on Walk In My Shadows with it's funky rock groove and scorching solo the crowd lapped it up and more was to follow, the punchy Free tune Fire And Water tore out some Blues/Rock of the finest 70's calibre breed into a 2011 sure fire show stealer with screaming guitar to boot, Rodgers still has that magic rock god presence when you hear his voice, it is truly real rock tone vocals.
Mountain Time is Joe Bonamassa's very own signature tune and is another epic delivery in his repetoire which yet again can silence an audience with it's inbuilt arrangement of stunning beauty, and the guitar solo within tell it's own meandering tale of lonely life in the mountains
a sublime finish to the main set, the band take their bows but soon return after continuous applause.
Joe alone with acoustic guitar plays his own classical blues piece Woke Up Dreaming, teasing the audience with every sinew of his skills, every spot on the 6 strings and fretboard are tested to their limits with 12 minutes, a stunning acoustic overture.
We arrive at the final song of the evening, a full frontal assault brutally delivered in the rawest fashion that doesn't let the pace let up til the very last note of this absolutely amazing show.
So The Beacon Theater has been given The Joe Bonamassa treatment just lke The Royal Albert Hall and folks i gotta tell you it was as just as magnificent in stature and performance.
Infact i would go as far to say it was Joe Bonamassa's greatest show ever
Roy Weisman (Joe's Manager), Len Bonamassa (Joe's Dad) Both in attendance and even Joe himself have said same, don't take their word, get the dvd when it come out ......
Yep it's time for The Royal Albert Hall show to step aside, The Beacon Theater show is
Joe Bonamassa's new benchmark.

............. Michael

And just imagine, after Joe's spectacular performance, Kevin will add his golden touch to it.  The man is a genius.  Can't wait!!!!!

Great review Michael and it was nice meeting you with Jane before the Baltimore show.

If you look up to the heavens just before the start of every Joe Bonamasaa concert you can see Stevie, Jimi, Muddy, Gary and others leaning over God’s railing jockeying for the best view. 
And if you listen, you can hear Stevie say  “ SHHhhhh,  The kids about to start playing.”

207 (edited by Lee 2011-11-13 10:26:10)

WhoTheHeckisThat_NowIKnow wrote:
Lee wrote:
apexelectric wrote:

Don't see it.  Can you post a link?

From Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … amp;ref=nf

Otherwise:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leeericspi … /lightbox/

The Royal Albert Hall was just that ..... Royal, Grand and Epic in scale and Joe's dream that had been a 20 year journey to get to. His most epic show without any doubt and the lifelong precious moment duetting with Eric Clapton make The RAH Show truly historic and unforgettable within Joe's career.

The Saturday 5th November Beacon Theater show was much more New York style.
A brash approach with a relaxed casual feel and a real raw Joe cuttin' loose .... and again i will say it's was Joe Bonamassa's Best Live Performance Ever on Stage to date.
Second to None   cool   

So It's Like That   

............ Michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

bigjeffjones wrote:

Yeah that's what I said!  roll Almost exactly...  lol   I had the distinct pleasure of head butting with Michael an entire weekend in NYC.  We each said of the other, what a character he is.   tongue   A lovely time.  cool

Well done Ace!  Very well done indeed!  smile

MuchLove
BifJegg

Yeah we locked horns  big_smile ..... thank you yo funky biatch
Jeff you are all that preceded you and mucho more, 
MuchEnjoyableness
GonDoItAgen

Take Care and Good Health My Friend

.............. Michael

Deliver us from evil with Part 2  Senor Cool

Thank you Michael.  I have been waiting patiently for your take on this (I know you've been a bit busy of late).

Yeah, I bet you and the Doc (along with the other characters there)  were interesting to watch.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

What Sandy said! I knew I'd rue the missing of this gig. I would have been in deep hot water and in retrospect, the simmering return would have been worth it. Well, maybe not... damned if you do, damned if you don't. Fab review Michael. I'll be one of the first to order the dvd.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Michael wrote:

The Royal Albert Hall was just that ..... Royal, Grand and Epic in scale and Joe's dream that had been a 20 year journey to get to. His most epic show without any doubt and the lifelong precious moment duetting with Eric Clapton make The RAH Show truly historic and unforgettable within Joe's career.

A brash approach with a relaxed casual feel and a real raw Joe cuttin' loose .... and again i will say it's was Joe Bonamassa's Best Live Performance Ever on Stage to date.
Second to None   cool   

So It's Like That   

............ Michael

Amazing how separately and collectively, without foreknowledge, You & Me (we knew it 3 songs in...) and his Dad and Joe himself all felt it was his best ever!!!  cool
But, a long standing remark on every iteration of Joe's Official Forum I've made is.........SO FAR!!!  smile

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:
Michael wrote:

Second to None   cool   

So It's Like That   

............ Michael

Amazing how separately and collectively, without foreknowledge, You & Me (we knew it 3 songs in...) and his Dad and Joe himself all felt it was his best ever!!!  cool
But, a long standing remark on every iteration of Joe's Official Forum I've made is.........SO FAR!!!  smile

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

I told the wife we might have to have kids just so I can tell them I was there!!!!!!!!!

WhoTheHeckisThat_NowIKnow wrote:

I told the wife we might have to have kids just so I can tell them I was there!!!!!!!!!

lol    lol

Thank you for saying that - I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

Great reviews ... I've been waiting for yours to show up Michael and it did not disappoint!  The descriptive words just roll off your fingertips!   wink    Creates a total visual, aural and kinesthetic experience!  cool

Wow sounds so awesome and I'm trying to remember now exactly why I missed it (like you Rick --- maybe next time we won't hesitate?!) ... oh yeah, past and future Joe show related travel ... the dvd can't come out soon enough though!

So glad all of you had a wonderful time and rocked Joe's world while he was rockin' yours!

@ WhotheHeckisThat_Now:    lol  lol  lol

Sandy

I know a place ....

Jane H. wrote:

that was pretty funny!

anyway so some of you guys say the best ever yet????
Can't wait to see the dvd  big_smile

I got chills more than once. Outstanding show for sure.