Re: Beacon Theater NYC

I'd love one too, Joe!

ALSO, just bought tickets to see John Waite play at BB Kings tomorrow night--very excited!!! I saw hiim pay at Barnes & Noble about 5 years ago!! Yikes, sad, I know, as great as he is---I think he wrote a book and was plugging it--ONLY about 20 people and he did a bunch of acoustic songs--but his voice is so great--and he was awesome--even in a bookstore!

I'm not going to post a review. But I do want to thank everyone who took part in making the entire weekend a roaring success! Yes I do mean ALL OF YOU!!!!  big_smile   I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  cool

New user here.

Saturday's show was my third or fourth Joe show in the past couple of years. As usual, INCREDIBLE.

I'm tremendously excited this show is going to be available on DVD for a few reasons. One, I WAS THERE! (I won't be on camera since I was 4 rows back in front of the PA system on stage left!). Two, Joe's goosebump-inducing tribute to Gary Moore. And, three, LOVED the duet with Beth Hart. I'm buying that album TODAY.

I guess I need to read more, but any rough date on when the DVD is coming out? I assume they recorded both nights?

Thanks again for an amazing show, Joe & Co.

Now, when are you coming back to Stamford, CT?????

From the posts I have read, it sounds like that this was a very special weekend, kind of like the RAH.  Wish we could have been there but the timing was way off.  Looking forward to seeing the DVD and some familiar faces in the right places!

Music is good for the Soul...

dcomiskey wrote:

I guess I need to read more, but any rough date on when the DVD is coming out? I assume they recorded both nights?

Welcome dcomiskey! No word on a release date, but I would guess in about 5-6 months. That was roughly the timetable for the Royal Albert Hall DVD. And yes, both nights were recorded.

WhoTheHeckisThat_NowIKnow wrote:
JBonamassa wrote:

I said Ladies and Gentleman  I am honored to introduce  Paul Rodgers..   Enough said..  We played Fire and Water and Walk in My Shadows..  What would you have done??  I mean really..  ???

The kid next to me looked to be between 18 and 25.  When Joe introduced Paul he pulled out his phone and googled him.  I just felt sad for him.

lol  Brilliant and very sad...

Hey Joe Beacon, thanks for recording.  I'd love a copy, especially Saturday night cause  Midnight Blues moved me from my usual stoic attitude. 

Hope Joe B. lets you send some out.  I don't see the reason for pulling it from Dime even.  Even if 500 people downloaded it, that is hardly enough to put any dent in the DVD sales, imho.  Even if 1000 people did I still dont' think it would prevent the dvd from doing well in sales if that's what was gonna happen in the first place.

I've been around this kind of downloading stuff a long time (Abt 10 years, ok not as long as many GD fans) and it still amazes me how many people don't even know what a bit torrent is let alone how to download it.  Further, most people who do download are just music freaks and they usually buy the dvds anyway. Of course there are some people who don't have the cash to buy all the dvds and commercial releases and so forth, and in that case I still see no reason to stop the small minority of people who do download bit torrents from getting a few shows this way.  Finally, it is only the AUDIENCE recording. Not a recording from the board nor is it a dvd.  So I don't see why a few music freaks can't catch an copy of the show at this time. 

Just my thinking on it.  In fact I think the bit torrent movement gets a lot of artists and musicians out there to people who would never even listen to an artist except that he or she was upped to a bit torrent site and perhaps shared with a friend.  And Joe B, you know that there are boot legs of even your commercial cds out there on the internet and plenty of people trying to make money off your work illegally.  As you get more well known as an artist this will happen more and more and you can't stop it.  If you are going to get upset over it you will be upset a lot (not saying you are, just saying if you do get upset.) So I suggest you take a different approach. 

Most people who record audience recordings and people who download them do so to listen to the live material because that is where our heart's lie, in the live stuff.  We like the mistakes and we like the energy, and we like the ebb and flow of how the band is feeling in a particular city.  Moreover, we are the people who share your music legally in that audience recordings are allowed by you and that it gives us a chance to turn other people on to your music without having to copy a commercial release.  To me, from how I see it, allowing downloads only helps build an artists fan base. It can't compensate when you aren't going in the right direction but it can help bolster your recognition to a large group of music lovers and listeners who NEVER turn on the radio.  LOL.   

joebeacon wrote:

ok so i thought about it for a day or so and if joe gives the ok i will start a vine for who ever wants copies of the shows . i don't want to step on anyones feet since joe and warren were kind enough to let me record the shows . since there is a dvd coming out of the shows they might not want copies of the audio circulating so untill i get the ok to release the shows i will be holding on to them untill further notice .

as for paul rodgers joe spoke very highly of him both nights before he came on and for the song selection he played with him i wouldn't have had it any other way . two great songs and they ripped them up . for me i think the second night they real killed on the songs ..

Joe i hope you like the cds i made for you i dumped them of on warren . new music for the bus enjoy ..

188 (edited by Angelemerald 2011-11-08 17:44:27)

PS- I liked John Hiatt's performance the best of the guests.  He's a great songwriter.  Fire and Water was ok, but Heartbreaker would have been freakin' awesome.  Also I love from Free All Right Now, Don't Say You Love me, Mr Big, Wishing Well.  Paul, best voice in rock music, imho.   Beth Hart was great both nights.  I have to see her perform a full show sometime. Both shows were great but Saturday night was much more energetic and the sound was more dialed in imho.  Loved both shows though and wouldn't trade either of the nights for a night with any other artist.  And from me that's saying a LOT cause I like a lot of artists.

Edited by A/h for language.

No problem.  I was looking and looking for it.  Glad you got to it.  Sorry about that.

Angelemerald wrote:

PS- I liked John Hiatt's performance the best of the guests.  He's a great songwriter.  Fire and Water was ok, but Heartbreaker would have been freakin' awesome.  Also I love from Free All Right Now, Don't Say You Love me, Mr Big, Wishing Well.  Paul, best voice in rock music, imho.   Beth Hart was great both nights.  I have to see her perform a full show sometime. Both shows were great but Saturday night was much more energetic and the sound was more dialed in imho.  Loved both shows though and wouldn't trade either of the nights for a night with any other artist.  And from me that's saying a LOT cause I like a lot of artists.

On my lunchbreak, quick read through....not sure why the f word typed out, but could you modify it as we have younger people that come on here to read also?  I know in the past it has been a point that parents have brought up.  Thanks for your consideration.
                                                                                 pattyluvsjoe

Quote edited by A/h - nice pick up, Patty

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

pattyluvsjoe wrote:
Angelemerald wrote:

On my lunchbreak, quick read through....not sure why the f word typed out, but could you modify it as we have younger people that come on here to read also?  I know in the past it has been a point that parents have brought up.  Thanks for your consideration.
                                                                                 pattyluvsjoe

Quote edited by A/h - nice pick up, Patty

I would have edited too. Didn't realize.  Some sites just have it already blocked out.

jim m wrote:

I have to vouch for you here Joe. I heard you say it. The first night saying that you opened for his band Bad Company and the 2nd night Ladies and Gentlemen Paul Rogers. It would be hard for me to imagine anybody into popular music/classic rock and not immediately recognize that voice anyway.

Tica, Fire and Water and Walk in my Shadows were Free era Paul Rogers when Paul Kassoff was the guitarist and Joe played very Kossoff style solo's. Of course Joe has done Walk in my Shadows throughout his solo career but that was most like the original Free version he has ever done it.

Joe recorded three Hiatt tunes on his last three albums I know a Place, Jockey Full of Bourbon, and Tennessee Plates which was duet with John. Joe also played on Hiatt's new album. John Hiatt is a legend in most circles. Sorry you were not familiar with his work but hope you explore  his back catalog now. I will. I have been a casual fan myself but Last night made me appreciate him even more.

Jim - Jockey Full of Bourbon is Tom Waites!! I've got stacks of John Hiatt stuff and he really is a fantastic songwriter - listen to Lipstick Sunset or Have A Little Faith In Me - awesome stuff!!

192 (edited by glotrovato 2011-11-09 12:03:46)

Hi all

The NYC Beacon show Sat was amazing!  Was great seeing so many familiar faces there from on here, JBXP and FB as well.  Rocket showed up in a limo in front of the theatre with his entourage of Bonaholic friends. Classic!  cool  Was nice to meet Michael Lynch too who met my Brian who is from England as well. They had a nice chat.

Here's some pics from the Sat show:

http://gtrovato.smugmug.com/Events/Joe- … 198_BjRBMK

Also, if some of you haven't seen it yet, there is a video that shows where Rocket threw up some money to Joe during WUD. Another classic moment LOL ;D

(See it after 5:13 min) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q-IHxL5lGE

Enjoy
Glo

Joe makes me feel his music & soul with his performances. He will be a legend!

Here's a good video of Joe doing The River at the Beacon that my friend Linda Moke (aka Lindy) took.  Was so good to hear this song and his good sliding  smile

http://youtu.be/ycMt8ImegUQ

Joe makes me feel his music & soul with his performances. He will be a legend!

Tica wrote:

Yes, spinning is a indoor-cycling class. I've been an aerobics instructor for over 25 years and spinning started about 15 years ago as a way for, in theory, outdoor cyclists, to train inside during cold weather, but also, to offer a new motivating workout for gym members. I still teach regular fitness classes (like Zumba smile but I love spin because basically I'm a DJ. There is not a lot of choreography on the bike, and you do give instructions on technique and motivational cues, but essential it's about the music.

Some spin instructors play a ton of techno, dance (lady gaga, j-lo) and/or rap. The dance is ok and you do need some of it sometimes because it does pump you up aerobically, however, I really get into creating a mood in my class with my music, and also play a lot of classic rock (Pink Floyd, Zeppelin dance remixes!, AC/DC, Stones, BEatles), or new alternative rock (Snow Patrol, Coldplay, OK Go) or just some hardcore stuff (Wolfmother, Foo Fighters). And of course, I play Joe. We simulate sprints to 'When The Sun comes Down', we mimic riding rolling hills to Bridge to Better Days, we do a long long steep climb to the live version of When Heartaches...we do strong standing climbing to Blue & Evil, Quarryman's Lament, John Henry, Lie No 1... and then there are a bunch I use for cool-down/stretch. I've tried slow climbs to The Great Flood and few other slow ones from that album but my class found it too depressing!

Tica, I'm so glad to know there are other spin instructors playing Joe.  I thought I was the only one!  His songs definitely get the room rockin'. 

First time I ever heard Burning Hell, I thought it might be the best interval song I've ever heard.  And at 86 rpm, perfect cadence for people to match their pedal stroke to.  I also like Rice Pudding off his live New Day Yesterday album.  I always get people asking me who the heck is that?  I've also played the back-to-back combo of The River and Had To Cry Today.  One's great for seated work, the other for climbing, based on their BPM.  I saw no reason to break up that great combo at the end of that album.

What Joe songs do you like best?  Any others besides those you mentioned above?

welshchris wrote:
jim m wrote:

I have to vouch for you here Joe. I heard you say it. The first night saying that you opened for his band Bad Company and the 2nd night Ladies and Gentlemen Paul Rogers. It would be hard for me to imagine anybody into popular music/classic rock and not immediately recognize that voice anyway.

Tica, Fire and Water and Walk in my Shadows were Free era Paul Rogers when Paul Kassoff was the guitarist and Joe played very Kossoff style solo's. Of course Joe has done Walk in my Shadows throughout his solo career but that was most like the original Free version he has ever done it.

Joe recorded three Hiatt tunes on his last three albums I know a Place, Jockey Full of Bourbon, and Tennessee Plates which was duet with John. Joe also played on Hiatt's new album. John Hiatt is a legend in most circles. Sorry you were not familiar with his work but hope you explore  his back catalog now. I will. I have been a casual fan myself but Last night made me appreciate him even more.

Jim - Jockey Full of Bourbon is Tom Waites!! I've got stacks of John Hiatt stuff and he really is a fantastic songwriter - listen to Lipstick Sunset or Have A Little Faith In Me - awesome stuff!!

jim m wrote:
welshchris wrote:
jim m wrote:

Dang I always get those guys mixed up.   sad I also misspelled Kossoff.  roll

197 (edited by dcomiskey 2011-11-11 12:03:45)

I see here that the torrent was taken down. Would the same fate belie any vids uploaded to YouTube? I have "I'll Take care of You" on video that I'd like to upload. Certainly not DVD quality! smile

EDIT: I guess never mind. I see some other vids are posted, so I will go ahead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr1Mh7FplNk

I was pretty close to the guy who threw money up on stage. Personally, didn't think it was cool at all, esp given the show was being filmed. You just don't do that kind of thing. Security guard didn't look too happy, either... smile

BTW, Joe, this was one of the greatest live experiences I've had. You and Beth are incredible together and I hope you work together more. This particular performance was mind-blowing. You guys were on another planet.

dcomiskey wrote:

I see here that the torrent was taken down. Would the same fate belie any vids uploaded to YouTube? I have "I'll Take care of You" on video that I'd like to upload. Certainly not DVD quality! smile

EDIT: I guess never mind. I see some other vids are posted, so I will go ahead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr1Mh7FplNk

I was pretty close to the guy who threw money up on stage. Personally, didn't think it was cool at all, esp given the show was being filmed. You just don't do that kind of thing. Security guard didn't look too happy, either... smile

BTW, Joe, this was one of the greatest live experiences I've had. You and Beth are incredible together and I hope you work together more. This particular performance was mind-blowing. You guys were on another planet.

Whoa! Please judge carefully...There was an inside story there with the 3$ toss.  I didn't get Joe's opinion about his own reaction to that, but I know Brother Rocket's motives were LOVE & fun.  They'll edit it out, if they don't want it there.

In his (Rocket's) particular entourage were folks from upstate NY, Fla, ChiTown, Kent and other far flung regions of the globe.  It was a good weekend for friends and extended Bonafamily.  Even Red was there marching by phone.

MuchSubwayHeadChopBusking
MuchLove
BJJ FDOL

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms