Re: Beacon Theater NYC

Brack wrote:

Ok, going off topic here for a second, forgive my ignorance now Martica, but what are/is "spinning classes"?

Spinning is a group gym with bicycle machines.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

very good points you made martica and a very nice post...................i agree with you, even if i am one of this older ones who know a lot of the old bands.
Thomas

165 (edited by Angela 2011-11-07 10:25:41)

Hi Tica,

You've given me the perfect opportunity to have a good laugh at myself, actually, the older I get the more I find it therapeutic!!  big_smile  I graduated from high school in '74 and the highlight of my social life was going to concerts and all the fun times surrounding the music... wink Back in the albums days, we all enjoyed reading the album covers, cover to cover, over and over again.  I'm not sure WHY I didn't absorb all the band members names, but I didn't!!  So, I can relate with what you're saying as far as name recognition.

Let's just say when I went to see Pink Floyd for the Dark Side of the Moon tour, there is no way I knew the guitarist and bass players names.  Of course, I did know all the Beatles names, and all of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's names, Cat Stevens,  Emerson, Lake and Palmer etc.  I'd put money on babyboomers who still crank up Aqualung when it comes over the radio, thinking Jethro Tull is Ian Anderson's name!!   lol

I met my husband in the mid-eighties, that's when I first realized that George Harrison was the Beatles lead guitarist.  It was not until I started reading some of his guitar magazines that I became familiar with many musicians names like the guitarists for Queen, Dire Straits, some of Clapton's entourage of bass and guitar players etc.

When my hubby turned me on to Joe in 2004, I eventually discovered the forum, which opened my ears to a plethora of music, it has been like a shot of adrenaline to my music senses, I have learned of so many fantastic artists.  When I summarize myself musically, I call myself a BeatleZepBonamassa Fan, Joe's kinda' been my musical bridge to the second half of my music life.

Anyway, true confessions here...before the forum I did not have name recognition for Stevie Ray Vaughn, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Buddy Guy, Kosoff, Peter Green, Glenn Hughes, Beth Hart...

Off topic about the spinning...What a workout!!!  I broke my big toe on a dance floor a few years ago and was a non-compliant patient who ended up with a little bit of nerve damage in my toe which made me walk funny, which hurt the ball of my foot when I warmed up on my treadmill, so the bike has turned into a better substitute.    Substitute makes me think of the WHO, definitely knew Daltry and Peter Townsend's names, probably because of the guitar abuse and theatrics... lol

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

ok so i thought about it for a day or so and if joe gives the ok i will start a vine for who ever wants copies of the shows . i don't want to step on anyones feet since joe and warren were kind enough to let me record the shows . since there is a dvd coming out of the shows they might not want copies of the audio circulating so untill i get the ok to release the shows i will be holding on to them untill further notice .

as for paul rodgers joe spoke very highly of him both nights before he came on and for the song selection he played with him i wouldn't have had it any other way . two great songs and they ripped them up . for me i think the second night they real killed on the songs ..

Joe i hope you like the cds i made for you i dumped them of on warren . new music for the bus enjoy ..

joebeacon wrote:

ok so i thought about it for a day or so and if joe gives the ok i will start a vine for who ever wants copies of the shows . i don't want to step on anyones feet since joe and warren were kind enough to let me record the shows . since there is a dvd coming out of the shows they might not want copies of the audio circulating so untill i get the ok to release the shows i will be holding on to them untill further notice .

as for paul rodgers joe spoke very highly of him both nights before he came on and for the song selection he played with him i wouldn't have had it any other way . two great songs and they ripped them up . for me i think the second night they real killed on the songs ..

Joe i hope you like the cds i made for you i dumped them of on warren . new music for the bus enjoy ..

So did dime decide all on their own to pull the torrent?

Oh yeah, would it still work for others if those of us who have the torrent file and the complete torrent share the file and keep seeding?

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Amsterhammer wrote:
joebeacon wrote:

So did dime decide all on their own to pull the torrent?

Oh yeah, would it still work for others if those of us who have the torrent file and the complete torrent share the file and keep seeding?

nope it won't work you need a tracker to seed out a torrent you just can't send the link to someone it won't work ..

I mentioned to my kids (late teens & early 20's) Joe's special guests at the Beacon shows.  They knew Beth Hart because of the CD with Joe.  They know of John Hiatt only due to Joe's CDs.  I'll admit I never really followed his career.  They also know who Paul Rogers was (although I have to say they assmed the songs were Bad Company tunes . . . sigh.)  I still have some work to do I suppose.  Teaching our youth rock & blues musical history is a never ending job.  smile

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

I wish someone was with me Jane because I ended up having an extra ticket I could not sell or even give away--Sat night everybody already has plans. So my 2 tics cost $200. Luckily, I was in ocrchestra  last row by the wall. I was able to see empty seats up front and was able to move to an empty seat in row J, 13th row, so that made it all the better.

Yes, spinning is a indoor-cycling class. I've been an aerobics instructor for over 25 years and spinning started about 15 years ago as a way for, in theory, outdoor cyclists, to train inside during cold weather, but also, to offer a new motivating workout for gym members. I still teach regular fitness classes (like Zumba smile but I love spin because basically I'm a DJ. There is not a lot of choreography on the bike, and you do give instructions on technique and motivational cues, but essential it's about the music.

Some spin instructors play a ton of techno, dance (lady gaga, j-lo) and/or rap. The dance is ok and you do need some of it sometimes because it does pump you up aerobically, however, I really get into creating a mood in my class with my music, and also play a lot of classic rock (Pink Floyd, Zeppelin dance remixes!, AC/DC, Stones, BEatles), or new alternative rock (Snow Patrol, Coldplay, OK Go) or just some hardcore stuff (Wolfmother, Foo Fighters). And of course, I play Joe. We simulate sprints to 'When The Sun comes Down', we mimic riding rolling hills to Bridge to Better Days, we do a long long steep climb to the live version of When Heartaches...we do strong standing climbing to Blue & Evil, Quarryman's Lament, John Henry, Lie No 1... and then there are a bunch I use for cool-down/stretch. I've tried slow climbs to The Great Flood and few other slow ones from that album but my class found it too depressing!

So an interesting question is, what sort of song should Joe to do get a Billboard top 10 hit--that gets radio play--and in doing so--upgrades the quality of popular music, and draws people into his more 'hardcore' or authentic stuff...I think it needs to be a soft rock ballad, pretty melody with his young-rock-guy soft voice, and with a little bit of solo sad, bluesy guitar, but not too much.  I thought Sloe Gin had all the ingredients, but perhaps suicide is just not top 40 subject material!

anyway, my two cents. Have enjoyed our chat! Thanks for all your replies

Tica,

Very fun job you have, I'm seriously jealous!! The next time you change up some music, consider Joe's early music.  I got my basement walls painted extra fast on a deadline before a Christmas party to some of the great music from Joe's 2 early ones, (only thing out then) especially So Its Like That.  Takin' A Hit can make you move.  smile 

Happy Spinning to you.  Bye.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Hi Angela
Actually, I use Pain and Sorrow a lot--that crescendo at the end is great... and also forgot that really long BCC one that has a crazy sprint at the end, but gets reallys low before hand.

Some of the older ones are a little long, and for whatever reason aren't quite right (not every song works for spin). But I will revisit those 2 and see if they work. thanks!

Yes, it's a fun job. My other lilfe is being a health journalist and academia (obesity reseaerch), so being a dj and dancing around in aerobics balances things out!

Isn't Paul Rodgers the lead singer of Queen?  wink

He has one of the best voices in Rock.  I have a friend from high school whose all-time favorite song is Shooting Star. 

I can't wait to get this DVD!!

joebeacon wrote:

+1 please! big_smile

Come on you Blades!

idolbone wrote:
joebeacon wrote:

+1 please! big_smile

Please. Thanks if ok.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Reminds me when we took a friend to see Paul Rodgers for the first time at the Edinburgh Usher Hall (where Joe is playing in March) in 1997. She enjoyed the show but said he did too much songs by other people  smile
We still laugh about it and she has seen him many times since.

Kenny

Tica wrote:

Paul Rodgers was good but I would have preferred different songs. Also I don't think a lot of people knew who he was, he should have been introduced, same with John Hiatt. The people next to me had no clue.

Um hmmm I mean, well...Let me start over.

While I won't poke fun because you don't know him, I do question the assumption that a lot of people don't know him just because you don't.  I think if the guests are introduced, (they were) and your curiosity is piqued enough that you'll do some homework, which you did, then you are involved even more than you might be otherwise.

If you want to make a point (& you did) then own it and be welcome.  I'm glad you're hot.  tongue

I'm Cool  cool
MuchLove
bjj FDOL

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

bigjeffjones wrote:
Tica wrote:

Paul Rodgers was good but I would have preferred different songs. Also I don't think a lot of people knew who he was, he should have been introduced, same with John Hiatt. The people next to me had no clue.

Um hmmm I mean, well...Let me start over.

While I won't poke fun because you don't know him, I do question the assumption that a lot of people don't know him just because you don't.  I think if the guests are introduced, (they were) and your curiosity is piqued enough that you'll do some homework, which you did, then you are involved even more than you might be otherwise.

If you want to make a point (& you did) then own it and be welcome.  I'm glad you're hot.  tongue

I'm Cool  cool
MuchLove
bjj FDOL

Well said Doc! Nothing wrong with not knowing an artist or their history/music, but it shouldn't require extensive introductions on stage in the middle of a show. Joes 3 friends were crazy good and if people didn't know them, it was a great opportunity to go home, fire up the computer, and catch up on what they've been missing!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Yes, they were all great and an interesting mix, too. Still love that crackly old voice. He's playing in NYC next weekend--going to try to go.

Joe
plus 1 on your generous offer...if it cool with all parties.