Topic: 71 Silverface Deluxe Reverb

Hi all,

I have a small dilemma. I was able to try out an old 71 SFDR. I went there thinking to find the holy grail but then I went home a bit underwhelmed. It felt like an old amp (both the pros and cons) but the tone was good, just wasn't wowed with it.

I need your opinion on whether or not I should get it. It came with a Jensen P12N/R (the alnico one whichever that is). The tone is good. It is a bit inspiring to play. I have to admit, I liked the overdrive with amp volume at 7-8.

Please help. All your opinions are welcome. Joe? Care to help a poor guy out?

Re: 71 Silverface Deluxe Reverb

I vote no because you don't sound thrilled with it. Spend your money when you feel it's right.

I guess you have to ask yourself "Whats that tone I hear in my head?"  If it doesn't match that tone I wouldn't give it a second look.  On the other hand you didn't tell us what kind of a deal you were getting on it.  If its a good deal or one you couldn't pass up then I'd go for it.  I've wasted tons of money in the past on things I got a good deal on but didnt need or want just becasue I had some money burning a hole in my pocket.  My vote is hold out for that holy grail.

AD3THREE wrote:

I guess you have to ask yourself "Whats that tone I hear in my head?"  If it doesn't match that tone I wouldn't give it a second look.  On the other hand you didn't tell us what kind of a deal you were getting on it.  If its a good deal or one you couldn't pass up then I'd go for it.  I've wasted tons of money in the past on things I got a good deal on but didnt need or want just becasue I had some money burning a hole in my pocket.  My vote is hold out for that holy grail.

I can get it for around $1200. Well, I actually described it to a friend as "not being the sound in my head". What wasn't fair is that I had expectations that didn't match the amp. My conflict is I want a small amp that isn't too loud for home use, can be used at practices and gigs and has beautiful clean tone, the SFDR hits home in all those accounts and then some (it also has a wonderful overdriven tone) at the same time, I also want that big full clean amp sound (like what the Vibrolux Reverb sounded when I tried it at the store abroad) with that 3D tone. My Classic 30 is too loud for the house and the volume of the SFDR is just right.

I think I'm leaning towards getting it more now. It's worth a shot. The prices on these things are going up and I might be able to let it go if I don't end up liking it in the long run. I may also end up getting a 6L6 later on for that clean sound.

I apologize if I sound so undecided. That's because I am!

Most old Fenders have excellent tone.  But the speaker you use with them makes a huge difference.  I was never sold on old Fenders until I tried them through a good speaker cabinet.  Now I have two (Old Bassman head and old Bandmaster head) and that is all I have used for several years.  I have tried some other amps but I always gravitate back to the old Fenders.  I would recommend you borrow a very good speaker cabinet if you can and run this old Fender through it. (make sure the ohms match!)  This will really help you determine if the amp will do it for you.  I would make absolutely sure before I dropped $1200 on an amp.  However, these old Fenders just keep going up in value so you should be able to at least recoup most of your investment if necessary.

HoosierRock wrote:

Most old Fenders have excellent tone.  But the speaker you use with them makes a huge difference.  I was never sold on old Fenders until I tried them through a good speaker cabinet.  Now I have two (Old Bassman head and old Bandmaster head) and that is all I have used for several years.  I have tried some other amps but I always gravitate back to the old Fenders.  I would recommend you borrow a very good speaker cabinet if you can and run this old Fender through it. (make sure the ohms match!)  This will really help you determine if the amp will do it for you.  I would make absolutely sure before I dropped $1200 on an amp.  However, these old Fenders just keep going up in value so you should be able to at least recoup most of your investment if necessary.

I know what you mean. The speaker is a big part of the tone. I have learned a lot from the input I've gotten. I think I have come to a decision. More on that later on.  smile

+1

wharris wrote:

I vote no because you don't sound thrilled with it. Spend your money when you feel it's right.

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

I say no and save up for something that does impress you.  You likely got to play one that was already CBS (there were some SF amps that were still blackface circuit), and likely the reason for your lack of... interest.  If an proper old amp impresses you about as much as a DRRI, then don't get it.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars:62 LP SG , 02 FB VII, JB FB I, 76 Electra Omega, 64 Firebird V, 73 LPC, 61 Custom Tele, 59 and 60 Melody Maker
Effects: Mythos Chupacabra, Strymon Deco/Flint

macg1 wrote:

I say no and save up for something that does impress you.  You likely got to play one that was already CBS (there were some SF amps that were still blackface circuit), and likely the reason for your lack of... interest.  If an proper old amp impresses you about as much as a DRRI, then don't get it.

It was still the blackface circuit with a silverface face plate.

I have decided to heed your advice and not get the amp. I will save up for something that will move me and make me feel inspired to play even more than I do now.

Thanks a lot!

dalandan wrote:

I have decided to heed your advice and not get the amp. I will save up for something that will move me and make me feel inspired to play even more than I do now.

Thanks a lot!

Yeah man, gear remorse is one of the worst feelings ever.  That is why buying stuff online without trying it out may be a problem sometimes.  you hear and read all kinds of reviews and demos, opinions everywhere, but if there is not something that makes you smile and keep playing, something that inspires you, then why own that gear?  Good luck on finding the "thing" that will inspire you and keep us posted if you do.  What kind of tones are you searching for anyway?

Guitars:62 LP SG , 02 FB VII, JB FB I, 76 Electra Omega, 64 Firebird V, 73 LPC, 61 Custom Tele, 59 and 60 Melody Maker

macg1 wrote:
dalandan wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Yeah man, gear remorse is one of the worst feelings ever.  That is why buying stuff online without trying it out may be a problem sometimes.  you hear and read all kinds of reviews and demos, opinions everywhere, but if there is not something that makes you smile and keep playing, something that inspires you, then why own that gear?  Good luck on finding the "thing" that will inspire you and keep us posted if you do.  What kind of tones are you searching for anyway?

Thanks for the advice and I agree. I've gone through too much gear in the few years I've been playing. I'm actually selling everything now except for my guitar and a few choice pedals.

I have two tones in mind
1. That big clean Fender sound. "3D" as called by some people. I actually tried an amp out before that nailed it. I'm looking at getting that if I have the chance to go back to Hong Kong. It's a Vibrolux Custom. I agree with the reviews that said it's a bit noisy and the reverb was weak but then, there are solutions for that. I've heard it's also the same circuit as the Vibroverb reissue which is a sleeper of an amp. I also think it's a good compromise between loud and soft and portable. It's like my Goldilocks amp. Not too much, not too little.

2. That Cream/Hendrix tone. You know what I'm saying.

Basically something like Joe's rig but a bit cleaner will suit my style of play. I also have to consider portability and loudness.

I had a Custom Vibrolux Reverb, and one thing Fender would tell you is it is not a reissue.  Its a more modern version of the original.  I have never played a vintage Vibrolux but I have played a TON of Fender amps and Fender style amps vintage and modern alike.  The Custom Vibrolux Reverb has a tone all to its self when compaired to other Fenders.  In my opinion these amps are the staple of a black face fender amp.  Everything else you buy will have either a single 12' speaker or 2 or more 12's as these are great speakers the secret behind these amps are they are the only 2-10' combos in the black face family.  Its not as portable as you think, I think mine weighted in at 65 lbs!  But its 40 watts of pure shimmer and is my biggest regret for selling.  You can get 2-10 combos from fender in other style of amps such as the Tweed amps and of course their solid state stuff, but nothing will compair to tone the vibroluxe gets and the vibrato effect will make you feel like the entire room is swurling around.  You have my blessings all day on a Custom Vibroluxe Reverb.  With a few mods you could do anything with this amp.  Also you talk about wanting to play Cream/Hendrix stuff, I used an SG with this amp a lot and no pedals, turning the amp up to bout 6-7 will make this thing naturally compress and I nailed that Cream Tone with this bad boy.  Forget the marshall for your gigs go with this a sheild so you don't kill the front row and you'll be gold!

AD3THREE wrote:

I had a Custom Vibrolux Reverb, and one thing Fender would tell you is it is not a reissue.  Its a more modern version of the original.  I have never played a vintage Vibrolux but I have played a TON of Fender amps and Fender style amps vintage and modern alike.  The Custom Vibrolux Reverb has a tone all to its self when compaired to other Fenders.  In my opinion these amps are the staple of a black face fender amp.  Everything else you buy will have either a single 12' speaker or 2 or more 12's as these are great speakers the secret behind these amps are they are the only 2-10' combos in the black face family.  Its not as portable as you think, I think mine weighted in at 65 lbs!  But its 40 watts of pure shimmer and is my biggest regret for selling.  You can get 2-10 combos from fender in other style of amps such as the Tweed amps and of course their solid state stuff, but nothing will compair to tone the vibroluxe gets and the vibrato effect will make you feel like the entire room is swurling around.  You have my blessings all day on a Custom Vibroluxe Reverb.  With a few mods you could do anything with this amp.  Also you talk about wanting to play Cream/Hendrix stuff, I used an SG with this amp a lot and no pedals, turning the amp up to bout 6-7 will make this thing naturally compress and I nailed that Cream Tone with this bad boy.  Forget the marshall for your gigs go with this a sheild so you don't kill the front row and you'll be gold!

You're right! This CVR is actually a spin-off of the reissue Vibroverb. It has a few tweaks by this boutique amp/pedal builder. His name escapes me right now.

I just might get it if I have the chance. I already carried the sucker and I think my back can take her on.  wink

AD3THREE wrote:

+1 on all of this.  I had a CVR and "regret" not having it anymore, just because it was a stellar amp.

macg1 wrote:
AD3THREE wrote:

sounds golden. I wish I could go to Tom Lee HK right now. They don't carry this in our local "F" dealer.
+1 on all of this.  I had a CVR and "regret" not having it anymore, just because it was a stellar amp.

I have a 1969 with a Vin-Tone reconed 12T6 !I have also recapped and all the Maintenance including replacing all the brown turds with SOZO Vintage Blue caps and this amp sounds better than it did in 3/25/69 ! After all these years it is the best sounding amp I ever heard !!

I just did a full cap job on a 1960 Gibson GA-5.  It still had the original electrolytic caps and the amp worked but sounded only ok.  Original speaker, and original "Gibson" marked tubes.  You could put a pedal in front of it and make it sound pretty great, but it should sound great all by itself.  The original caps looked fantastic in the amp but they had outlived their purpose and no longer worked. In addition to FILTERING the AC input voltage, other caps either COUPLE stages or BYPASS components.  When too old these bypass and coupling caps become resistive and let DC pass, and of course the filtering caps don't level out the incoming AC resulting in hum.  Results of changing the electrolytic caps?  AWESOME SOUNDING GA-5!  So I guess my point is whenever evaluating an old amp you have to look inside and access the capacitors.  If they are original or over 10 years old they probably aren't doing their job anymore and the real tone of the amp cannot be properly evaluated
Hey, if I'm babbling here about stuff everyone already knows I apologize in advance!  big_smile

"You know, it's just that people like this... you know... they get all they want so they really don't understand, you know... about a life like Frank's. I mean, when you've loved and lost the way Frank has, then you, uh, you know what life's about."

"How can "less be more"?  It's impossible.  "More" is more." - Yngwie Malmsteen