Topic: SRV & Hendrix - if they were still around

I heard that Clapton can walk the streets of London without anyone "freaking out"
When I saw Prince play the superbowl - considering his attire; it make me wonder what lifestyles SRV and Jimi Hendrix would have if they were alive today...

I think Hendrix would be a cross between Prince Buddy Guy and Tommy Iommi.  Prince's attire, Guy's attitude, and Iommi's obsession with new pedals & equipment.  But would he still be considered a legend or a retro novelty? Would he have put out flops like Neil Young in the 80's to make record companies mad? Still influenced grunge?

I think SRV would have been the Texas version of Clapton. I'd like to think he'd tour with some other blues acts but not really make a ton of noise or high profile. Probably would have come out with a jazz album?

oh - well; we'll probably never know.  fun to speculate though.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: SRV & Hendrix - if they were still around

Hey Nic, I seen SRV 4 times and though he was known, he really didnt get huge recognition until after his death. Same thing with Randy Rhodes. It was his death that made his name launch much much higher but Eddie was the king then. Of course SRV is a legend now but From what I remember he was beginning to fizzle out somewhat. I seen him last with Jeff Beck and my main reason for going was to see Jeff Beck. I still enjoy watching the dvds of SRV. Takes me back and when I start to forget how good he was, the dvds instantly revive my memory.
Jimi I was too young to remember. I was about 6 or 7 but I was not into that stuff  at that age LOL!

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

thanks for the comments.
Yeah, I can believe Stevie would be low profile.
I've seen Double Trouble a couple times - good rythm section to hear. I wonder how KWS has them roped in so to speak...?

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Stevie's career was picking up when he died. He'd gotten clean and sober, In Step had been quite successful, and he had his first number one hit (Crossfire). He was starting to pick up steam. That's why it was so tragic. He was on the upslope.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Caught SRV/Jeff Beck Pittsburgh show late 80's; only 3500 people, unreal; Yet ranks as one of the best shows I have seen.    I have a few SRV bootleg dvd's and I keep hearing that many more are available; wish I knew where; figure people just trade them back and forth.  THat daytona dvd is great. 

I was in like 6th grade when Are You Experienced came out; but remember how it influenced guitar players.  That was the thing on SRV too; how many people started playing.

If I had to predict, I would say that Stevie would be the more relevant artist today. Part of my reason for saying this is their age difference. Hendrix would be in his mid-60's while Stevie would be 53. The other thing is, like Deezer said, Stevie had gotten sober, and I think he would still be going strong - probably as big as anybody in the blues. While Hendrix, who knows what toll the drugs may have taken on him had he survived to this day. Jimi is also so hard to predict because his career was magnificent, but relatively short. I really think Hendrix would have been more likely to pursue other styles of music or something else altogether.

Deezer wrote:

Stevie's career was picking up when he died. He'd gotten clean and sober, In Step had been quite successful, and he had his first number one hit (Crossfire). He was starting to pick up steam. That's why it was so tragic. He was on the upslope.

Deezer, were you alive when SRV died? Just curious.

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

I heard that Clapton can walk the streets of London without anyone "freaking out"
When I saw Prince play the superbowl - considering his attire; it make me wonder what lifestyles SRV and Jimi Hendrix would have if they were alive today...

I think Hendrix would be a cross between Prince Buddy Guy and Tommy Iommi.  Prince's attire, Guy's attitude, and Iommi's obsession with new pedals & equipment.  But would he still be considered a legend or a retro novelty? Would he have put out flops like Neil Young in the 80's to make record companies mad? Still influenced grunge?

I think SRV would have been the Texas version of Clapton. I'd like to think he'd tour with some other blues acts but not really make a ton of noise or high profile. Probably would have come out with a jazz album?

oh - well; we'll probably never know.  fun to speculate though.

I don't think Jimi Henrix would've changed one bit regardless of public opinion or "box office appeal".  I don't think jazz was truly in Stevie Vaughn... Those "flops" of Neil Young's are record company stockholder assessments, I happen to think they were great and to hell with making a living out of attempts at forcefully "controlling" an artist...

Demonsterastratofixation: Those "flops" of Neil Young's are record company stockholder assessments."

It was documented on VH1 that Neil Yound purposely manipulaed the "control" parameters of doing rock albums to make the record companies furious. They wanted "keep on rocking in a free world" pt.2 and he gave them a progressive rock album and a classic 50's rock album. It came off like he did them out of rebellion - at the expense of the record company.

10 (edited by markgtrplyr 2007-04-30 11:44:50)

NPB:

This post was interesting and it does get you thinking where these guys would have gone had they lived.

I saw Jimi Hendrix play in the 60's when I was about 14 or 15 and living in Los Angeles. Believe it or not, he was the opening act for the Monkees - and I think myself and about 3 other people were there to actually see him - the rest of the audience (which seemed like 15 and 16 year old girls only), of course, had no idea who he was and hated him and his music. Needless to say, the audience didn't get Jimi at all. A slighly different syle of audience than the one at Monterey who say him at his triumphant return to the USA after winning over the UK and Europe.

(They say it was the second worst pairing of opening act / headliner in history. The worst apparently was an unknown named Bruce Springsteen opening for a Canadian singer named Anne Murray. After hearing Bruce, the audience didn't want him to leave the stage...lol).

I really think that Jimi would have reverted back to his first love - blues  - and become as  important an icon as BB King or Buddy Guy. Jimi was defined by the 60's - but I believe he would have moved beyond the "psychedelia" of the time. In fact, his Band of Gypsys album at Filmore (I'm going by memory here) gives you a pretty good insight where he was going musically at the time of his death.

Stevie Ray Vaughan- when asked what he wanted to be remembered for said that he wanted to be "known as the guy that took the color out of the blues".

I think Stevie would have evolved exactly like Clapton -  a "cradle to the grave" disciple and "caretaker" of the blues.  But I think you also might have seen alittle more jazz-oriented styles creeping into his music as well.

And I think he learned an incredibly important lesson with Crossfire - his final studio album. This was the first album he had recorded complely sober / clean and he realized that you didn't need the crutch of drugs and booze to make great music.

Clapton learned the same lesson after kicking heroin years earlier.

I think both of these guys would still be incredibly important musical figures today - but maybe not to the same people who get off on Britney Spears music, for example...lol

Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.

Mark

I don't know what they might of done, but man, I would have loved to see Jimi live. I did see SRV a few time's and was there the night he died. If they were alive today, can you imagine Stevie and Jimi on stage playing Voodoo Chile, just going off trading licks back and forth.

I know the earth would shake and the moon would turn a firey red for sure!

I saw Jimi once in the spring of '70, just about the most amazing guitar work I've ever seen. A few of my friends saw the Hendrix/Monkees show I think in '66 at the Cow Palace in SF and they didn't know what to make of Jimi at the time either. I saw Stevie a number of times before and after his drug days. I remember one in particular when he opened for Bonnie Raitt and he looked like death warmed over, thank God he found sobriety. I heard of Stevie's passing the morning after on the radio and the first report only mentioned a helicopter going down and they weren't sure if Clapton, Robert Cray, or Stevie was on board or all of them. About an hour later it was determined who was on board. Apparently the confusion occurred because they were all trying to get to Chicago to jam at a blues club and everybodies whereabouts couldn't be confirmed that night. A very sad day indeed. I feel they would both be more blues oriented if they were with us today.

RIP Jimi & SRV,

J Dawg

Band of Gypsy's Live New Years Eve 69-70 @ The Fillmore East NYC.

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

13 (edited by markgtrplyr 2007-04-30 12:20:46)

ohiodawg13 wrote:

I saw Jimi once in the spring of '70, just about the most amazing guitar work I've ever seen. A few of my friends saw the Hendrix/Monkees show I think in '66 at the Cow Palace in SF and they didn't know what to make of Jimi at the time either. I saw Stevie a number of times before and after his drug days. I remember one in particular when he opened for Bonnie Raitt and he looked like death warmed over, thank God he found sobriety. I heard of Stevie's passing the morning after on the radio and the first report only mentioned a helicopter going down and they weren't sure if Clapton, Robert Cray, or Stevie was on board or all of them. About an hour later it was determined who was on board. Apparently the confusion occurred because they were all trying to get to Chicago to jam at a blues club and everybodies whereabouts couldn't be confirmed that night. A very sad day indeed. I feel they would both be more blues oriented if they were with us today.

RIP Jimi & SRV,

J Dawg

Band of Gypsy's Live New Years Eve 69-70 @ The Fillmore East NYC.

OhioDawg:

Your post really triggered some memories.

I was a huge fan of SRV -I was there at the El Mocombo and saw him another 6 or 7 times. I remember being in my car and hearing the news about the crash of a helicopter that MIGHT have involved Eric Clapton or Robert Cray. The DJ I heard on the radio NEVER even referred to the posibility of Stevie being the victim.

And then I heard an hour later or so that it was Stevie that had been in the helicopter that went down and I was just stunned. All I could (selfishly) think about initially was that he hadn't left us with enough musical material - that I was hoping / wanting / needing this guy to be around for another 20 or 30 years - and how damn unfair it was to be killed a relatively short time after he had cleaned up and "purged his demons".

That was a terrible day made even worse a short time later when you heard that the crash was attributable to pilot error and that the official cause of death for Stevie was exsanguination. It's possible that he was knocked unconscious by the crash, but it's also possible that when the helicopter crashed into the hill in the fog, there was no explosion. But a jagged, sharp piece of metal pierced Stevie's chest and hit his aorta and he bled out on the hill - fully conscious the whole time.

That was a very sad day for music and alot of fans..!

Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.

Mark

I was just thinking not in terms of what they would be doing if they were still alive more in terms of what the music scene would be like with those 2 still here. Maybe blues would be more popular in contemporary culture if they were around.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

Hi Mark, I was at work at a const. site and ran and told a painter who plays bluesharp the news and at lunch we drove down to the edge of SF Bay and sat there looking like somebody kicked each of us in the gut, listening to more news on KFOG FM in SF. The idea of Stevie beating his demons only to have this happen just seemed so unfair.

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

16 (edited by markgtrplyr 2007-04-30 19:25:46)

ohiodawg13 wrote:

Hi Mark, I was at work at a const. site and ran and told a painter who plays bluesharp the news and at lunch we drove down to the edge of SF Bay and sat there looking like somebody kicked each of us in the gut, listening to more news on KFOG FM in SF. The idea of Stevie beating his demons only to have this happen just seemed so unfair.

J Dawg

Many years ago, after Stevie's first visit to Toronto at the El Mocombo club, he came back about a year or so later and played this great venue called Massey Hall, a turn-of-the-century building with the best acoustics.

It was a Sunday night and he put on this great show and it finished up about 10:30. I lived in this downtown condominium / building at the time - I think I was separated. But my home was a 15 minute walk from Massey Hall.

I was so pumped from the show that I went home and immediately plugged in my Strat and started to play Texas Flood and Pride and Joy and Cold Shot and a dozen other songs- just completely energized byy the show. By about 1:00, I was out of cigarettes (I was a smoker then) so I went out to pick up some at this 7-11-style store that was open 24 hours a day.

I took a brief walk up Yonge Street (Yonge was Toronto's main street back then where alot of the best stores / restaurants were located. But being so late and being a Sunday nite / early Monday morning, everything was closed up and in fact, there was nobody on the streets. And the only traffic was the occasional taxi cab. But as I was walking north on Yonge Street, I could see these 3 guys coming towards me just checking out the windows of the closed shops. And one of the guys had on a cowboy hat. When I got about 15 yards from them - I finally made the connection - it was Stevie, Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton just out for a walk and trying to wind down I guess. As I got even with them, I made eye contact with Stevie and nodded my head as if to say "I know who you are and hello". And he nodded back and smiled.

To this day, I regret not taking the  moment to tell him how much his music meant to me and how influential he was in kickstarting my playing. But I just didn't make the connection at the time and then when I did, I didn't take advantage of the moment.I just didn't want to fawn all over the guy and bother him.

If I ever hook up with a scientist like Dr. Brown from Back to The Future who has a DeLoren capable of time travel, I know one of the  moments I'm going to go back to.

Mark

17 (edited by ohiodawg13 2007-04-30 20:24:51)

I had one of those moments myself some years ago. I was standing in line at an Orchard Supply Hardware store in Vallejo, Ca. one Sat. waiting to pay for some plumbing parts and couldn't help but notice this sharp dressed older black man in front of me. I'm thinkin' this guy looks familiar and the people he was with call over to him and say wouldn't this patio set look nice in the yard John Lee? He says yes darlin' that's beautiful in that unmistakable voice and I realize I'm standing next to John Lee Hooker at the hardware store of all places. I'm usually not shy about talkin' to celebs, but this time I was speechless. Wishin' I had a do over shortly afterward. I found out later he had been living in Vallejo for awhile and then moved to Redwood City where I think his daughter was living till his passing.

Think Green,

J Dawg

Check out my post about visiting his night club recently. On page 2 now.

Great story - there would be no mistaking John Lee's voice. And everytime I've seen pics of the guy, he was always dressed very dapper. I think that's one of the hallmarks of being a real "bluesman" (at least I think that was one of the things that that old bluesman taught Ralph Macchio - the "Karate Kid" - in the movie ' Crossroads (that old movie about the missing Robert Johnson song).

Looking back, I wish I had taken a moment to thank Stevie and try and shake his hand. I've heard these legendary stories that the guy had hands like steel vises - so strong, in fact, from playing big heavy strings and the action set very high on his guitars.

I remember hearing a story years ago by somebody who knew him well - it might have been his guitar technician - that occasionally one of the calluses on his fretting hand would come off and he had to replace the skin. So he apparently would put some very strong "super glue" on his arm somewhere and press the finger down on it so that when the glue had set and he pulled his finger off, it would take a chunk of the skin from his arm and it would be re-glued to his finger now. And now he would be able to fret those big, heavy strings and bend them without any discomfort.

And this would work until the skin grew back again.:)

Mark