Re: Joe in a small club!

Rocket wrote:

Well it's an extremely and I mean extremely small club and there's a chance of not even getting in sometimes.  This wasn't a RAH or DVD shoot or TV appearance, (again, if Mike Merritt gets my drift for a future tie in....).  Packed in like sardines is not a joke.  Plus I think they stick you for food and drink bad (used to, at least).  But I echo your sentiments.
Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

No problem-o...packed like sardinia for an 'intimate' personal encounter wouldn't have been too bad.... big_smile  big_smile

On a different note...I PM'ed you about Dust Bowl digibook, if you're so inclined.....

100% Certified 'Bona-Nut'

38 (edited by RickB 2011-04-15 11:52:01)

Rocket wrote:

Well it's an extremely and I mean extremely small club and there's a chance of not even getting in sometimes.  This wasn't a RAH or DVD shoot or TV appearance, (again, if Mike Merritt gets my drift for a future tie in....).  Packed in like sardines is not a joke.  Plus I think they stick you for food and drink bad (used to, at least).  But I echo your sentiments.
Rocket

Packed like sardines is an accurate statement...Sold out. So cool as the forum hard cases queued in front of the club and the walls are vibrating with killer sounds as the sound check went on, fueling our anticipation. Joe's car parked right in front. cool Joe walking on the stage before the gig and fiddling with his cables and patched together pedal array, "I'm the guitar tech tonight"
Gouge attempt thwarted as a blank CC statement was presented with no total, oh... just sign it and we'll fill it out.... tongue
Arrrrrgggh! my first up crashed at 98% of a veeeerrrrrry long (14.5 minutes!) version of The Thrill Is Gone.  yikes  mad
I'll try, try again... sad

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

RickB wrote:
Rocket wrote:

Rocket

Packed like sardines is an accurate statement...Sold out. So cool as the forum hard cases queued in front of the club and the walls are vibrating with killer sounds as the sound check went on, fueling our anticipation. Joe's car parked right in front. cool Gouge attempt thwarted as a blank CC statement was presented with no total, oh... just sign it and we'll fill it out.... tongue
Arrrrrgggh! my first up crashed at 98% of a veeeerrrrrry long (14.5 minutes!) version of The Thrill Is Gone.  yikes  mad

Aww man the samething happened to me last night, went to bed just after starting a upload to you tube, (243 minutes estimated upload time) woke up this moring to an error!  Arrgggg is right!

What really amazed me about last night was the raw jamming, most songs were over 10 minutes long, the opening song, was almost 20 minutes!  Fly like an eagle was cool, but the kickers were Stratus and the Thrill is gone.

40 (edited by can1208 2011-04-15 12:01:54)

RickB wrote:

Seems about right....'The Thrill Is Gone'...... dang upload..... lol  lol

41 (edited by can1208 2011-04-15 12:04:45)

Front Row Fred wrote:

Fly like an eagle was cool, but the kickers were Stratus and the Thrill is gone.

Gawd...he played Steve Miller as well??? Jeez....I needed to be there in a 'cloudy mood'..... wink (Slams head against wall)....  roll

At the moment, I basically have no words for how awesome last night was.

Joe, Tal & Rock Candy blew the roof of the spud, to say the least...

I will write a more lengthy and eloquent review after I get me a nap... got back to the hotel at 2 AM, just now got home. Not complaining, just floating along on a nice cloud of BonaBliss  cool

“To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable.” Aaron Copland
“Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul” Plato
"My finger picking is sort of a cross between Pete Seeger, Earl Scruggs and total incompetence." James P. Page

It is most definitely opportunities like this that make me wish I was independently wealthy and could jettison others & myself to a gig like this.  WOW!!!!  I would have loved hearing all those songs and loved the up-close & personal experience.  Party like rock stars!!!!!

pattyluvsjoe   wink

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

...great to read all you guy's had a truly fab time!...really looking forward to seeing Joe's version of The Thrill is Gone to see if it's as good as mine!?  neutral

... wink Lol!

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Thanks friends. The Thrill Has Made It!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVkAjluIWKE
Rick

Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

...fuzzin brilliant!... Give ya some money towards the petrol when I see ya next!  smile  cool

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Outstanding video, thanks for sharing...

Music is good for the Soul...

48 (edited by can1208 2011-04-15 20:15:10)

RickB wrote:

Thanks friends. The Thrill Has Made It!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVkAjluIWKE
Rick

Wowza!!!! Thankkkkkkk youuuuuuu my friend!!! Crab cakes on the house when you're around Charm City next...

That had to be the classiest drum solo I have ever heard - perfect for that song. 

As Patty said it is times like this I so wish I was independently wealthy - what a priceless experience.  I was lucky enough to see Joe play this song a few years ago (with Sam Bush) and he did it so well, but it was not in a place this tiny.  My shutter finger was itching just watching this.

Please tell me you got Blues Deluxe, too?

Thanks - can't wait for more.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

samjp4 wrote:

That had to be the classiest drum solo I have ever heard - perfect for that song. 

As Patty said it is times like this I so wish I was independently wealthy - what a priceless experience.  I was lucky enough to see Joe play this song a few years ago (with Sam Bush) and he did it so well, but it was not in a place this tiny.  My shutter finger was itching just watching this.

Sandy

I was mesmerized by the end of the first set, so wrapped up in the experience I had to just put the camera down half way through Stratus when the battery gave out and I couldn't find the spare I still got Joe's smoking solo in Stratus though only 10 minutes of the whole jam. Others there got it Lindy Moke over on JBXP and Front Row Fred I think.

RickB wrote:
samjp4 wrote:

Sandy

I was mesmerized by the end of the first set, so wrapped up in the experience I had to just put the camera down half way through Stratus when the battery gave out and I couldn't find the spare I still got Joe's smoking solo in Stratus though only 10 minutes of the whole jam. Others there got it Lindy Moke over on JBXP and Front Row Fred I think.

Great stuff Rick thanks,  My amateur attempt of the ending of Stratus is going up now, should be ready in about an hour. Can't wait to see your first part.

Thanks Rick ... what a delight to see Joe in such a different setting and having so much fun ... great song, great version!   Tal's a soulful drummer!  You bonabuds were the lucky few, couldn't be happier for you.  The Thrill is Gone?  ... I think not...

Sandy

I know a place ....

The end of stratus, this was from the cheap seats, I was last row fred for this show.  cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zReGX92kmY

Reading this brought back fantastic memories of the first (I think) time Joe played in Blackpool in a small room above the theatre.
Old timers on here may have read about this already way, way back, but allow me to share again with the newer forumers.

I took my guitar mad son who was then about 14 to his first ever gig.
We climbed up several flights of narrow stairs to be one of the first people into the room where Joe was playing.

In through the door at the top of the stairs and into a small room. There was a very small bar at the back of the room and no stage.
There were tables around the edge of the room and a few chairs.
The gear was set up at the front of the room.

As there were hardly any people in when we got there, I bought two drinks, placed two chairs directly in front of the mike stand (within touching distance !!), put the drinks on the adjacent table and we sat down awaiting the gig.

More people arrived and it wasn't long before Joe arrived.

He walked into the room and to the front where the gear was.
Joe looked around the room and said something like "you guys are sure going to learn about sound pressure tonight".

He was chatting to the entire room without any kind of microphone aid - gives you an idea of the size of the room.
He sat down on an adjacent table and chatted about the gear and explained what the perspex shields were for in front of the speakers.

He then went "backstage" presumably to prepare for the gig.

My son and I experienced the gig of a lifetime.
Sitting within touching distance of the guitars being played for the entire evening and not even a stage in the way.

At the end of the performance, my son asked if he could have the set list Joe used and of course he was told yes. It had after all been taped to the floor less than 2 feet away from our feet all night. It was signed by the band and still has pride of place on his bedroom wall.

The room has a capacity of 90 people. Not a typo.

Contrast this with the RAH gig which I was at with lots of others from this forum. Two massive extremes and the two best gigs I think I've ever been to for two different reasons.

Which is the best ?

Hmmmm.
It was fantastic to meet people from all over the world and meet to up for the biggest gig in Joes career to date (and have a hug with Joes Nr 1 fan cool and have Joe come to the forum after show party cool) but you know, it sure was good to be treated to the master in such close and intimate surroundings.

I think Joe deserves all the attention he is getting smile but I'll never forget this Blackpool gig and sadly acknowledge that it ain't ever going to happen again sad