Re: Tedeschi Trucks Band

gsj wrote:

Hi Jim. I've heard one or two other's comment on Derek's lack of showing his emotion when he plays but I figure that's due to the fact that every ounce of emotion is flowing through his hands and onto his guitar. For my money he's not just 'technically brilliant, he also plays with immense soul and passion. That's what I see (and hear) coming across when I watch him play anyway. Still, glad you enjoyed the show smile

+1 There are few guitarists today that "speak" through their instruments like Trucks.

wharris wrote:
gsj wrote:

Hi Jim. I've heard one or two other's comment on Derek's lack of showing his emotion when he plays but I figure that's due to the fact that every ounce of emotion is flowing through his hands and onto his guitar. For my money he's not just 'technically brilliant, he also plays with immense soul and passion. That's what I see (and hear) coming across when I watch him play anyway. Still, glad you enjoyed the show smile

+1 There are few guitarists today that "speak" through their instruments like Trucks.

Derek is a lot more animated on stage these days than he used to be.  Lots of smiles at the Boston show.  When I first started going to see his concerts all the pictures I took had him facing towards the back of the stage - this time I had to wait for a chance to get a picture of him from the back.  I've always thought from watching Derek play that he is in another world when he is playing - the music he gets out of those six strings is unreal.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

I believe you can see both Derek's and Susan's personalities shine though when they are on stage. Case in point...one of the security people at the Riverside Theater was trying to keep aisles clear and keep people who weren't seated in the front row away from the front of the stage. Well, as the show ended and before the encores began, he got a little more boisterous and aggressive and I could see Susan did not care for that. As the crowd continued to applaud asking for the encores and the band started to come out, Susan came right to the end of the stage and yelled really loud, "Hey!!!". She got the security guard's attention and told him in no uncertain terms that she and the band didn't mind the people there. And with that, all kinds of people came to the front of the theater for the encores.

Derek, on the other hand, I believe is much more shy and introspective. He's very intense on his playing and yet, does smile and laugh once in a while. He was getting a pretty good chuckle watching some of the crowd dancing in front of the stage. And yet, he stood and watched his wife "handle" the security personnel. From what you can tell just by watching them is that they compliment each other not only in their music, but in their lives away from the stage.

Later, on our way back to our car, we were walking along the Riverwalk past the side of the theater and came upon Derek. Apparently, he had come out through a back alley way to say goodbye to a couple of friends. I stood there and tried to get a good picture of him, but as it turned out, it wasn't very good. As he was about to leave I said to him, "Joe Bonamassa says hello!". He immediately stopped, looked at me and smiled and asked what Joe had been up to. I told Derek that Joe recently had come off tour with BCC and was supposedly resting. But then I said to him, "You know Joe, he almost never rests!" He smiled and then asked if I could get a message to Joe and said, "Please say hello back to Joe from me." He was very gracious and explained he had to get going.

So, if you're reading this Joe, Derek Trucks says, "Hello Joe!" smile

Roy

Joe is the Best!

Roy, my friend, great post.  That smile Derek gave you goes back to their mutual admiration of each other and the fans of both pretty much in concurrence.  Having had the pleasure of chatting up Derek a couple times, as well as his family (although not Susan yet), Derek to me exudes a calm southern congeniality.  He always seems serene within even when ripping on that SG and slide! I like that about him.  Susan, well, many nor'easters don't shy away from letting  it all out and getting to the point swirling through the cranium at any given moment in my experience derived opinion. 

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I saw DTB in 2006 or there about. Then again just as they were coming off the Grammy win for Already Free. The pace of both shows was just a bit plodding. There were moments of inspiration but it was a long 90min plus. I'm just saying TTB was a quick 90 plus. I didn't mind being on my feet. That is what I guess I mean. Nothing personal about Derek being a bit boring and understated on stage. It was inconsequential with the rest of the band being energized it really didn't matter that he was not animated. His solo show though is a different animal. Mike was seated with a broken foot when he fronted the DTB here. So there was nothing but Koffi to entertain. I love Derek's playing. I have spoken briefly with him. He is a gentle and intelligent guy. I just think the show, and I'm about the show is a whole different animal with Susan and the current band. I had never seen Susan before. Way beyond my expectations. I would travel to see it again.  I would bring people to see it. I could sell it.

Rocket wrote:

Roy, my friend, great post.  That smile Derek gave you goes back to their mutual admiration of each other and the fans of both pretty much in concurrence.  Having had the pleasure of chatting up Derek a couple times, as well as his family (although not Susan yet), Derek to me exudes a calm southern congeniality.  He always seems serene within even when ripping on that SG and slide! I like that about him.  Susan, well, many nor'easters don't shy away from letting  it all out and getting to the point swirling through the cranium at any given moment in my experience derived opinion. 

Rocket

Thanks Rocket! smile Dawn and I had a great time. You know, if people are out there that want to take a date or significant other to a great show, this along with Joe's are the two best bangs for the buck right now. Not cheap mind you, but what is nowadays? wink

Roy

Joe is the Best!

79 (edited by Rocket 2011-09-05 21:43:28)

BluesMan wrote:
Rocket wrote:

Rocket

Thanks Rocket! smile Dawn and I had a great time. You know, if people are out there that want to take a date or significant other to a great show, this along with Joe's are the two best bangs for the buck right now. Not cheap mind you, but what is nowadays? wink

Roy

Roy, You & Me, Gentlemen of our caliber, although cheapskates in our minds, not at heart, are not about cheap with dates......very much!  big_smile
And the best part of that smile was probably going back to the Hit-Hot August Blues Festival August 15, 2009, when Joe got to jam with the Derek Trucks Band on a real '59 Les Paul ( http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17052 ) that was likely an inspiration for Joe to obtain his own!!!!!!!
George's recollection of that day, and that specific event only 2 looooong ( I say long because L cool cool K at ALL the things Joe has been up to since then people!) years ago:
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtop … 33#p117633

Rock ON & Keep the Faith & the Smiling Faces From Center Ring of the Nostalgia Circus,
Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

jim m wrote:
ken wrote:
jim m wrote:

I got the album this week and digesting it. Just a few songs that grabbed me initially. The overall vibe is a bit sleepy. I got nothing against mellow but there is a difference between mellow and boring. I had high hopes for it but maybe I expected too much. Love Midnight in Harlem so it isn't like I couldn't dig it if it had some better songs start to finish. Now Derek's albums are a bit uneven as well and don't own any solo Tedeschi but I do love her voice.

Tour coming within a couple of hours of here not sure if I'm going to make the drive.

Don't "not go" based on the mellowness of many of the album's songs (which I agree with you on), they stay pretty much in high gear/energy/funk/soul through most of the live show. One of the best live shows out there, and worth a couple hour drive.

OK Ken I took your advice and drove to Wichita KS last Sunday. I must say it was one of the best shows I have seen in awhile. Susan energized the stage. Derek although technically brilliant can be akin to watching paint dry. I think I saw at least two grins out of him while the horn section wailed. Oteil on bass and the always upbeat Koffi complimented the Allman Brothers style rhythm section. The two drummers were in sync and dynamic. Thanks for talking me into it. If I were Dereks band I would worry a bit about this being the future of Derek and Susan's career.

Glad you enjoyed the show Jim, I knew you'd like it. This band needs to be seen live to be fully appreciated.

I actually get a kick out of watching Derek and Susan on stage together. Every once in a while there's a look between them, or a slight smile on his face when she plays a solo, or sings something amazing. He seems so proud of her...

For all you TTB fans out there.  New show added for Warner Theater in DC for Friday 10/28.  Pre-sale is on now at their website.  Started at noon.

Saw them at the Tower in Philly last month with Steve Earle and it was a blast.  Will be great time before Joe's east coast swing.   The fall is looking good!!!

ken wrote:

I actually get a kick out of watching Derek and Susan on stage together. Every once in a while there's a look between them, or a slight smile on his face when she plays a solo, or sings something amazing. He seems so proud of her...

I felt the same thing Ken and from what I've read in this months Blues Revue Magazine, he loves playing with her and matching his guitar to her tremendous voice. Of course, there might me another reason for his smile, that he still can't believe he snagged such a lovely and talented woman! wink

Roy

Joe is the Best!

BluesMan wrote:
ken wrote:

I felt the same thing Ken and from what I've read in this months Blues Revue Magazine, he loves playing with her and matching his guitar to her tremendous voice. Of course, there might me another reason for his smile, that he still can't believe he snagged such a lovely and talented woman! wink

Roy

It is mutual, Roy.  And it not just looks (which fade) or talent (which is only a nominal part of a relationship at the personal level).  They have that in their hearts and souls.  I can see it. Capital "S" Special.

Rocket

Just saw the Tedeschi Trucks Band again last night in Grand Prairie TX. Not many bands I will drive to see especially on a school night but seeing them last summer in Wichita KS made a believer out of me.

BB King opened the show but that is a whole other topic. Glad to see more of TTB as the closer but meant I got in at 3am last night.

There is so much going on with the band it is hard to describe it and my **** is dragging. I will just say this. Go see them. Susan can sing and Derek can play but the whole band drives this show. 11 pieces. The studio album and the live album does not do the this live show justice.

You got that right Jim. That album doesn't do them justice.  I may have mentioned before that Ken and I have been following Derek since he was 12 years old and he, like Joe, was a true child prodigy.  His music has definitely evolved over the years but since he hooked up with Susan it has become pure magic.  Like you said, there's so much going on when you're watching the whole band live. So much music. I know we'll be seeing them at the Wanee Festival in April and maybe sooner if they come around.  This is a band worth traveling to see.  Just love em.

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

jim m wrote:

Just saw the Tedeschi Trucks Band again last night in Grand Prairie TX. Not many bands I will drive to see especially on a school night but seeing them last summer in Wichita KS made a believer out of me.

BB King opened the show but that is a whole other topic. Glad to see more of TTB as the closer but meant I got in at 3am last night.

There is so much going on with the band it is hard to describe it and my **** is dragging. I will just say this. Go see them. Susan can sing and Derek can play but the whole band drives this show. 11 pieces. The studio album and the live album does not do the this live show justice.

We were lucky here - they played two consecutive nights at the MN Zoo Amphitheater (which is only about 12 miles away) back in late June and we went both nights. They are always really good, but I liked them better this year than last year. I thought they were almost as good this year as they were at the 2010 Crossroads where I thought they were one of the highlights. They were phenomenal that day! And I agree about the albums. We have both and while they are very good the live show is much, much better!

Just booked tickets to see TTB in Harrisburg, PA on November 30! Saw them at the Peach Music Festival in Scranton a few weeks back, it was a great show. The Forum in Harrisburg is a great venue, very intimate. Tickets for this show go on sale next Tuesday but if you are a member of TTB's site the pre-sale started this morning at 10. No code needed, just follow the links on the website.

Shreddys going to catch them tonight at the Bob Hope theater in the incredible town of Stockton, California.....Bonamassa shirt (which one?) will be worn for the evening....a little street teaming for the cause...how you like them apples Andy?

Shred....P.S...Stockton is on a pace to break their murder rate set in the past....I swear that city scares me some yikes

89 (edited by Shredit 2012-09-08 09:19:34)

What an awful mix last night!!....my brother and I left after 45 minutes......$80 tickets, great seats, didnt matter....my bro paid for everything since I covered him in Reno when JB played there last time, poor guy....and the hoodlums walking around that area were worriesom to us.....Stockton has to be one of the worst big cities in the US, avoid it....

Shred ****where the heck is the coffee in this house?****.....PS.....had at least 10 people come up to me and tell me JB coming to Sac in April...."no kidding, I never knew, thank you" roll

For all you folks that have have seen and grown to love the TTB.  You may be interested in knowing that Oteil Burbridge is leaving the band.  I don't know about you but Oteil happens to be one of the most interesting, fun bass players I've ever seen.  I'm going to miss him.  I do hope he continues on with the Allman Brothers. This is a statement put out on facebook on Oct. 5.  sad

A statement from Oteil Burbridge on his departure from the Tedeschi Trucks Band:
"After 25 years of intensive touring, I have come to the very difficult decision that I must cut my yearly tour schedule back and will not be able to continue to tour with TTB. This much needed break from heavy touring will allow me to recoup, recharge and address my main priority in life right now, which is to start a family. I have deep love and respect for every member of this band and the music that we have made together, and I'm proud of our many accomplishments over the last three years. I certainly hope that we have music left to make together in the future."

Tedeschi Trucks Band's statement:
"We are sad to see our brother Oteil leave TTB but we want what is best for every member of our family, and we respect Oteil's decision to make a change. We've had many amazing shows and sessions with him over the years, documented by two albums we're very proud of. We wish Oteil the best and look forward to the next time we can share the stage.

We have reached out to our extended family of musicians and confirmed three great bass players for the fall. Ted Pecchio will play on the shows Oct 18-20. Dave Monsey Oct 27 - Nov 3. And George Porter Jr Nov 27 - Dec 2."

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"