Re: Tedeschi Trucks Band

Curby wrote:
jim m wrote:
Curby wrote:

Jim,
Totally agree with the an apples and oranges comparison, but I didn't say TUF was a better band.  I was saying their album is much more interesting to me.  I can feel an intensity that's rarely heard these days and not surprisingly the album has earned much critical praise.

Sorry guess I misunderstood your point since you posted the Youtube links of them live. I haven't heard their album. I don't own any Susan Tedeschi and although I own DTB I only really like a few songs on each of them. I just thought between Susan and Derek they would hit a homerun. I guess I had too high of expectations. It is more of a mood album. Got to be in that kind of mood. I am still letting it grow on me. Not like I erased it out of my Ipod or anything like that.

I feel much the same.  I think you ought to get the TUF album cause it's a very good Blues album.  The vids I put up aren't from the new album.  The new songs are much better.

Checked it out on Itunes and sounds good enough to buy. That wasn't out when I saw them but believe they performed some of it. I searched other artists and didn't find a topic mentioning them of course the way the search function is behaving doesn't mean there isn't one. Probably ought to start one there for them and let this one get back to TTB chatter.

56 (edited by Guenter 2011-07-10 03:47:55)

Rocket wrote:

I'm going to venture they and you may have a slightly different take on them live, and your opinion from the appearance.  If not, or if so, I look forward to your next report, Güenter.
Rocket

I have seen them live last week. It was a great double feature of Robert Randolph and TTB:  10 out of 10 points for both. This did not really change my opininion about Susan´s voice. But live it wasn´t so dominant as in the album and as soon as the band was taking over, they were playing so brilliant that it was more than compensated. I loved it most when  - like in  "Days is almost gone" - Mattison was singing lead and Susan background. Looks like I´m a bit in disagreement here with most of the other writers. Some of you call Susan´s voice "angelic". Even if it would be so -Emmylou Harris or Allison Krauss might sing in an angelic way, not Susan - angels  are rather a minority species in blues business.
Günter

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Well Pete - they tweeted you again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmwkRRjH … e=youtu.be

The black and white is cool.  You are in the wrong profession sir!

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

samjp4 wrote:

Well Pete - they tweeted you again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmwkRRjH … e=youtu.be

The black and white is cool.  You are in the wrong profession sir!

Sandy

Every cabbie is in the wrong profession!  big_smile
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

That brought me to tears Pete. Amazing. That lady can sing your socks off!
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

...hey thanks!...glad they liked it!

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

61 (edited by Wooders 2011-07-18 08:01:28)

Pete The Cabby wrote:

...hey thanks!...glad they liked it!

If only susan knew how good your videos are Pete, she wouldn't have shrugged when you asked her at the aftershow party if it would be ok to post your videos on youtube.  smile Not a small amount of irony there, methinks.

I've just realised that I haven't posted a link to my pics here, so here they are. There are one or two good ones considering I was using my little Fuji and no flash.

Don't forget to listen to Paul Jones' show this evening when he will be broadcasting some of the songs from this gig and his interview with Derek and Susan. There are some photos on Paul's home page that were taken by a pro photographer immediately in front of me. I'm pleased to say I don't think they are any better than mine.  hmm

PJ's programme starts at 7pm UK time or 8pm in Euroland, 2pm on the East Coast of the US, 1pm Midwest and 11am on the West Coast.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

I can smell burning from my radio, Derek's guitar licks are incendiary! If you aren't listening to this you're missing something very special.  cool

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Going to be seeing them this weekend at Centenial Terrace in Toledo....outdoor concert.  Should be great.

Bonaburst #18, JB Epi #191, MusicMan Darklord, LP Cherryburst Traditional Plus, Gigliotti GT, Takamine, Takamine 12 string, Martin D-28 & GPCPA1, Fender Amer STD Strat, Fender Custom Shop Gold Metalflake, Custom "OSU" Wagner Tele, Gibson SG Limited Govt Model, Jim Kelly Combo

Going to be seeing them this weekend at Centenial Terrace in Toledo....outdoor concert.  Should be great.

Bonaburst #18, JB Epi #191, MusicMan Darklord, LP Cherryburst Traditional Plus, Gigliotti GT, Takamine, Takamine 12 string, Martin D-28 & GPCPA1, Fender Amer STD Strat, Fender Custom Shop Gold Metalflake, Custom "OSU" Wagner Tele, Gibson SG Limited Govt Model, Jim Kelly Combo

Here is the link fore there appearance on the Conan O'Brian show from 7-19-2011. They played the song "Learn How To Love".

http://youtu.be/99tzxzjC_D0

I have to agree that the album is a bit lukewarm, save for a few choice cuts and maybe a couple of passages per song.

But, the music is still beautiful. Maybe the mood of the album was too mellow for MY taste and it could have used some more movement in tempo and feel.

BUT, when I saw their performance of Midnight in Harlem from the Crossroads concert, it brought tears to my eyes. They are definitely better as a live act. The studio album doesn't do them justice. I would love to watch them live. Susan's voice is beautiful. It hits you in the heart.

I'm sure this band's next album will be even better. Chances are, they're just warming up. I'm hoping for more music from the TTB!

67 (edited by samjp4 2011-08-19 12:32:33)

Well, I got my turn to see these guys the other night.  It was an excellent, excellent show.  I think Susan especially had things turned up a notch since this was a hometown show for her (her parents were sitting a couple of rows behind us and the look on her Dad's face was priceless).  Is Derek going for the Greg Allman twin look with the beard?  Also nice to see how well these guys mesh with and respect each other's talents.  Derek came out and sat and watched one of the drum solos long before he had to be back on the stage.  Lots of smiles and camarderie going on.

I enjoyed the show more than the new album (but I am a live music junkie anyways).  Derek delivered his usual haunting stuff, and Susan's guitar playing has certainly improved since I last saw her solo a few years ago.   I guess she has a good coach.  wink  Susan's voice is better than ever, too.   Midnight in Harlem is one of my favorites, and the medley that surprised me the most (and was absolutely great) was a Sly and the Family Stone grouping.  Great song for the horns to shine on. 

All this being said, I miss the "old" band.  Mike Mattison looked very lonely up the back.  I enjoy his vocals a lot and would love to see the band play one or two of the "old" songs.  Maybe as this band matures and finds its place this will happen.

Pictures here (taken with the point and crap-shoot - also not in the front row like some people who shall remain nameless):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N … 7824/show/

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

...hey Sandy they are very good indeed for a compact...some really nice ones in there...and i especially like the one with the colour to b/w gradient my dear!  wink

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Wow those are some great pics Sandy! Looks like it was a lot of fun. And you're right about Derek with the beard, it adds about 20 years or so to his looks.

I also agree with you about the old band. I really enjoyed Revelator, it's one of my favorites from this year. But i think Mike is just too good of a vocalist to be stuck in a background role. I was disappointed that he barely played a part in the album and I'd love to see the DTB do another new album sometime. But if you go to Derek or Susan's websites they make it pretty clear that they're focused on TTB for the time being. I love Susan as a vocalist but I love Mike as well and would definitely love to hear him with DTB or at the very least incorporated more into the next TTB album.

70 (edited by BluesMan 2011-09-03 11:28:57)

At times, a Church revival meeting, then some Jazz fusion and all laced with Blues/Rock, this show was something to see. My wife Dawn and I took in their show last night at the Riverside Theater and along with the huge crowd, we really enjoyed ourselves. Susan's voice totally filled the very high domed ceiling of the theater matched only by Derek's sizzling slide guitar work. Funny, while I watched Derek play slide I thought to myself, where have I seen that sort of motion similar to his left hand? Then it struck me, it resembles the hummingbirds that occasionally frequent my butterfly bush in the backyard, moving gracefully but with a purpose from one flower to another. An amazing talent to say the least. cool

The show began at 8:45 PM opening with Mike Mattison and his band "Scrapomatic". Of course, Mike is also one of the backup singers in the Tedeschi/Trunks Band. They played for 45 minutes and really laid down some great tunes off their CD called, "Alligator Love Cry". Then came a 30 minute break to allow the patrons to wet their whistles and visit the restrooms. After the break at 9:45, the entire Tedeschi/Trucks Band took the stage and played a two hour set including the encores. And what a way to finish, polishing off the crowd with Sly Stone's "Higher". You might even say, the crowd was beside itself! wink

If they're near you, I would see this show! smile 

Roy

Joe is the Best!

ken wrote:
jim m wrote:

I got the album this week and digesting it. Just a few songs that grabbed me initially. The overall vibe is a bit sleepy. I got nothing against mellow but there is a difference between mellow and boring. I had high hopes for it but maybe I expected too much. Love Midnight in Harlem so it isn't like I couldn't dig it if it had some better songs start to finish. Now Derek's albums are a bit uneven as well and don't own any solo Tedeschi but I do love her voice.

Tour coming within a couple of hours of here not sure if I'm going to make the drive.

Don't "not go" based on the mellowness of many of the album's songs (which I agree with you on), they stay pretty much in high gear/energy/funk/soul through most of the live show. One of the best live shows out there, and worth a couple hour drive.

OK Ken I took your advice and drove to Wichita KS last Sunday. I must say it was one of the best shows I have seen in awhile. Susan energized the stage. Derek although technically brilliant can be akin to watching paint dry. I think I saw at least two grins out of him while the horn section wailed. Oteil on bass and the always upbeat Koffi complimented the Allman Brothers style rhythm section. The two drummers were in sync and dynamic. Thanks for talking me into it. If I were Dereks band I would worry a bit about this being the future of Derek and Susan's career.

Hi Jim. I've heard one or two other's comment on Derek's lack of showing his emotion when he plays but I figure that's due to the fact that every ounce of emotion is flowing through his hands and onto his guitar. For my money he's not just 'technically brilliant, he also plays with immense soul and passion. That's what I see (and hear) coming across when I watch him play anyway. Still, glad you enjoyed the show smile

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young