Topic: Front Street Music Hall- Wilmington 2/16

After catching the Raleigh show a couple of weeks ago we put together three couples for a quick getaway from Raleigh to historic waterfront Wilmington for a followup show. We checked into the B&B and walked to the venue in about a 38* windy night. We heard the sound check outside at about 8:15 so we grabbed a dinner a beer(s) at the Front Street Brewery across the street.

Now the show. We walked into the FSMH about 9:30 and the place was rather empty with a unkown 5 piece band was playing some great blues.  I asked the bartender  "Where is Crosby Loggins?" He said he cancelled. That was not goood as we were looking forward to hearing them again.They were a perfect compliment to JB IMHO.

Joe and the guys performed wonderfully with many high spots but the smallish crowd of 80 people or so dampened the energy in the 30 foot high cavern of a room with a high balcony with limited viewing.  The sound was ok but suffered some echo and hollow sounds if I get really picky. JB graciously delivered a generous encore to the small but appreciative crowd. As we left walking up the street I turned and saw Joe stepping on the bus and shook his hand and thanked him for the great show. I wish I had  told him good luck and enjoy the Europeon leg.

I was dissappointed for the guys and it really hit home when the six of us then walked into a club two doors up the street after the show and it was packed with the twentysomethings and a couple of small acts where playing hard and fast blues, bluegass, classic R&R etc. If we could of had that crowd at the show it would have been rocking.

What a great evening that eventually lasted till 5:00 am back at the B&B with cigars and vino on the veranda. If there is a next time I'll just bring more people.

Thanks guys.

DJ