Re: Reading 3-23

Amsterhammer wrote:

Hey Paul, thanks for all those great photos! I also like the way the site where you posted them works, very smooth.

Thanks, Amsterhammer! Sorry I didn't get to say hi while you were on the phone with Angela during dinner... I was sitting right across the table at the time... wink

Angela, Vik, it was great to meet both of you as well!

- Paul

"It's really liberating to not know you can't do something." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
My photos: http://chemicalgraphics.smugmug.com/

92 (edited by play4quarters 2011-03-25 08:49:37)

Pauly

GRRRRRRRRRREAT photos!!!!!!!  Just awesome.

Thanks so much for sharing!!

That image of the front of the theater....with "Wizard of Oz" is just the best!!!  And True too!!!!!

Some of the best show reviews there, Cathy's Jane's Angela's and TieDieViks (yep, best this year) & all the other forum buddies too, sounded like another top notch band performance and even the die hards were DustBowled over
Great pics from PaulY T too

Nice job bud's in PA

................... Michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Thanks, gents. Forever Young, in case you haven't seen, there are several shots of you and your SO in my meet-and-greet set...

- Paul

"It's really liberating to not know you can't do something." - Stevie Ray Vaughan

cool

Amsterhammer wrote:

Hey Paul, thanks for all those great photos! I also like the way the site where you posted them works, very smooth.

I hereby award this year's "Libby S. Postzilla Perpetual Challenge Trophy" to Vik for her stunning effort on the previous page!  big_smile

Above and beyond the call of duty, Vik! A really good read, thanks for taking the time!  cool

+ a ton! I made Vik promise as payment to give me a review worth its salt. She payed me off with vengeance! Wow! Big smile out west! Worth every cent.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Add my thanks..... nice pics! I have poached a few, hope you don't mind  big_smile

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

Brack wrote:

Add my thanks..... nice pics! I have poached a few, hope you don't mind  big_smile

Not at all, glad to share. I've gotten so much from this community in the short time I've been here, I'm happy to be able to give back.

I've asked Rachael @ J&R if I can turn on the links in the smugmug galleries that allow you to order prints, but that's probably not gonna fly given their usual photo agreement. Even though I wouldn't be making any profits off it myself.

- Paul

98 (edited by can1208 2011-03-25 12:34:33)

PaulyT wrote:

I've asked Rachael @ J&R if I can turn on the links in the smugmug galleries that allow you to order prints, but that's probably not gonna fly given their usual photo agreement. Even though I wouldn't be making any profits off it myself.

Paul...not necessarily...check out this site.....

http://www.photography-rickvangerven.nl … CARRE.html

These are photos taken last year by a professional at the Carre in The Netherlands - great theater by the way, check out the stage, props, his outfit, the background lights, etc - stunning. I believe the photographer and J&R have worked out some agreement....but I am not completely sure....no speaky Dutch... wink

100% Certified 'Bona-Nut'

Great reviews everyone - and wow Vik - I think Amsterhammer got his award to the right person.

Pauly T - as a fellow photographer I would love to know what you were using for equipment and where you were sitting.  Awesome pictures, and I  love the way you grouped them.   Still going thru mine from last nights show in Worcester.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

100 (edited by PaulyT 2011-03-25 12:58:26)

samjp4 wrote:

Pauly T - as a fellow photographer I would love to know what you were using for equipment and where you were sitting.  Awesome pictures, and I  love the way you grouped them.   Still going thru mine from last nights show in Worcester.

I look forward to seeing them! I'm not a real photographer, just a hobbyist, so my camera is nothing terribly special. I mean, it's more than a point and shoot, but not pro gear. It's a Nikon D70s with a stock 18-70 1:3.5-4.5 lens that came with it, and a Nikkor 70-200 1:4-5.6 that I got used a couple of weeks ago. I had a photo pass, so I was allowed to go right up to the stage for the first three songs, which is where many were shot with the 18-70. The rest are from my seat 7th row center, mostly with the 70-200.

I've been really pleased with SmugMug as a photo host, it doesn't cost much, allows nice organization and viewing options, and I can publish directly from Lightroom.

- Paul

Great show as always... Interesting to hear Django on the archtop.  The acoustic never ever disappoints and is always the talk of the 'new' fans on the way out of the event.  Dude, gotta ditch the hightops, or get some all black ones..   They some big skinny feets. LOL

Love ya Joe, looking forward to the next time and the next time and the next time..........

This thread is my respite! Work is a beast! Coming here helps me time travel back to Weds., even if only for a few minutes!

Paul T!!! Your pics are stunning and I echo the praise for the site.

Add my vote for the "Libby" to Vik, and thanks Rick for making it obligatory!

Can1208 Next week we hound the Hippo  wink  I'm going to the Carre both nights with some crazy Euro fans! George speaks Dutch, so he'll help you with that site and post a link to our friend Marco, from the Dutch Blues Mag., who has been "shooting" Joe for a few years.

Welcome to the Newbies and thanks for keeping the memories flowing!!! However, toandfro, J.B. is quite G.Q. these days  cool  He's got that International Style. I think he looks sharp! And no wrinkles in the pants  smile  (inside joke) I remember the hoodie days.

Back to work, but THANK YOU all for the smiles!!!           Cathy

Thanks Cathy! Eileen and I really enjoyed talking to you. In case you haven't seen them, there's some decent pics of you and Joe in the M&G section of my picture gallery.

- Paul

Great shots!!

Wish I could have been there to see some of the gang I met in Wilkes-Barre!  Have to wait til Sunday to see the boys in Pittsburgh.  Will be putting my D40 to work.  It's great to hear about all the forum meet-ups that occur before the shows, such a great community!

Jim

PaulyT wrote:

Thanks Cathy! Eileen and I really enjoyed talking to you. In case you haven't seen them, there's some decent pics of you and Joe in the M&G section of my picture gallery.

Thanks for catching the hug, but couldn't you photoshop about 20yrs off that poor old face   lol   I never take pics or have mine taken, so I know George is very happy and after I'm gone my Grandchildren will know Joe and I really were on first name terms.  big_smile  Cathy, Grannyfan

cathysiler wrote:

Thanks for catching the hug, but couldn't you photoshop about 20 yrs off that poor old face   lol   I never take pics or have mine taken, so I know George is very happy and after I'm gone my Grandchildren will know Joe and I really were on first name terms.  big_smile  Cathy, Grannyfan

Y'all have no idea what I have to go through to get hold of photos of Cathy! So yes, I'm delighted to see these and would also be happy to see any other (decent  wink  ) shots of Cathy that anyone (Vik, Angela?) may have taken.

Paul, would you be kind enough to mail me your shots of Cathy? Much appreciated!

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Amsterhammer wrote:

Paul, would you be kind enough to mail me your shots of Cathy? Much appreciated!

Message sent...

- Paul

Ok, here's my writeup. Sorry so long...

My Bona-Baptism, Reading PA, 2011/03/23

Where do I start? I've been collecting Joe's music and videos for about a year now, but this was my first live concert. To say that I was blown away by the entire experience would be an understatement! But I’ll begin at the beginning…
First, thanks to Manoj, I scored two tickets 7th row center. Excellent! The tickets were sort of a late Christmas and early birthday present to my wife (b-day 3/21), who is also a big fan of Joe’s. I got her a necklace made of Joe’s guitar strings for Valentine’s day.

And then, thanks to Alexis and in no small part to Jane, I got into the meet and greet! (Actually according to Jane, I was already on the list after sending a few e-mails to Alexis – but Alexis never answered any of those e-mails so I didn’t even know until Jane talked to him!) I was so excited, I barely got any work done the two days before the show.

Took the day off, arranged babysitters, and managed to leave home around 1:30 to make sure I got to the venue by 4:30… I pulled into the parking garage at 3:15. What can I say, I’m type A to a large degree, I’m always early! Met Manoj in the garage right across from me, and John and his SO Kim (I hope I’m remembering all the names right, please forgive me if I get any wrong), and we wandered around Reading a little bit to get a snack and drinks before the M&G.

Headed up to the venue in time to be there for the M&G which started promptly at 4:30. Not a huge crowd, maybe 30 people or so. We milled about looking at the merch table and chatting, until Joe came out after ~10 minutes. He strolled in casually, said “Hi Guys!” and immediately started shaking hands. We were all standing nervously around in circle. He started things off by asking if anyone had guitars to sign, which several folks did.

When it was her turn, my wife introduced herself, showed Joe the necklace – he was complimentary – and then proceeded to ask Joe to sign, of all things, her knitting bag! I about died. But Joe was totally cool about it, and I’m pretty sure that’s the only Bonamassa knitting bag in the world today! Of course my wife was thrilled.

Manoj gave him a nice bottle of wine and asked him to sign a print he had made.
Then it was my turn. I had a whole little speech prepared, and I sorta managed to get it out I think, I have little recollection of what I actually blurted out because I was so nervous! Anyway, the gist of my chat with Joe was about a classical piano CD I gave him. (You can see the pics of this in my gallery.) It’s music of Franz Liszt, played by Arcadi Volodos. Liszt was THE rock star of his day (mid-late 1800s), his music is big and flashy and virtuosic, and very difficult to play. (I know this, I’m a classical pianist myself.) And because of the flash, I think people even to this day tend to overlook the subtlety and musicality of much of Liszt’s work. He has a way of stringing these very long, pensive musical lines, with great flow and dynamics. This particular recording I feel really brings out that part of it. Anyway, when I hear Joe’s guitar work – especially for example his solo in Mountain Time from Live in Nowhere in Particular – I get some of the same sense of musical sensitivity and dynamics as when I listen to this Liszt album. Joe’s technically amazing, but more than that, he’s a true musician, of the like the blues and particularly the rock scene rarely ever sees.

I wanted mainly to give something back to Joe, and since I was raised on classical music and is what I know best, this is the best thing I could come up with. He listened patiently and attentively to my poor attempt to explain all of this in 60 seconds…  He shook my hand (believe me, I was gentle with that hand!) and posed for a pic which I will treasure. I told him I hope he has a quiet moment someday (ha! with his tour schedule?!) to listen to this. I can only hope he enjoys it and gets a little something out of it perhaps. I’ll look for a Liszt cover on his next album. (One can dream, right?)
Joe hung around for maybe a half an hour talking to various folks – some of whom he knew well, like Cathy and Jane and others who have been following him for much longer than me. It’s cool to see how he actually remembers his fans, as other stories I’ve heard/read have confirmed. I told Joe he’s got awesome fans, and I meant it!

After the M&G, we all gathered at a restaurant a few blocks away – not long blocks, but longer than it would’ve been without the lightning and hail! Wow. We made reservations for 15 but about 20 showed up; the hostess was in a near panic, but we got it all sorted out and had a nice dinner and conversations. Got to meet Angela (sitting next to my wife), and I’m ashamed to admit I forget the names of the couple sitting next to me at the end of the table… sorry! Vikki was kind enough to give us a ride back to the venue after dinner – thanks Vik!

Then on to the show!

I got there early enough to wander around the hall a bit, snapping pictures of various gear and such. I’ve done a little live sound work myself, so I enjoyed getting a little peek at the sound board in the back of the hall.

Thanks again to fellow forum and JBXP folks, I got a camera pass and learned that I would be able to be right up at the stage for the first three songs, provided I kept low and didn’t block people’s view . I’d been frantically preparing to take pictures, trying to learn how to use my camera (Nikon D70s) to the best of its abilities, to take advantage of this opportunity.

Yeah, I admit, I barely heard any of the music for this opening medley! Aside from the subwoofers thumping me at close range (good thing I had earplugs). But man, it was so worth it, just for the experience of being up at the stage more or less by myself – I think there were two or three other photographers but they didn’t move around as much as I did. I was just a couple feet away from Joe and Carmine! Little further from Rick and Tal, but man that was awesome to be up that close without fighting a crowd. And I probably snapped 300 photos in that first ten minutes.

First and most obvious thing to me was how different Joe is onstage. At the M&G was a casual everyday guy, totally at ease. He’s clearly comfortable on the stage as well, but what a transformation! Got the shades on, a suit, and the performer persona, and he totally takes control of the room. And he played a little guitar, too.

My seat was good so I was able to get more pics even after sitting back down. Despite taking another 600 pictures, I was really trying to focus on the music. I was mostly successful… I have all the albums and videos, and had seen clips of previous shows on this tour. So I had some notion of what to expect. But WOW! When you’re there live, there’s a connection with Joe – and Rick, Carmine, and Tal too for sure – that of course you can’t get from a recording. To me, going to a concert is not so much about hearing all the fine details of the music, but rather about feeling Joe’s energy, and soaking up what he has to offer up at a live performance. He’s so much fun to watch!

And of course, the music was amazing. Another great thing about the live show is how he can play around with the songs and make them different from the studio versions. Dust Bowl and Slow Train were pretty much like hearing brand new songs to me.

Mountain Time has been my favorite song from the beginning, and Joe did not disappoint when playing this live! Granted I missed the India intro, but Django was cool. His solo was goose-bump material! Both my wife and I felt that.

Great Flood was the other big highlight for me, the emotion he put into it was tremendous.

The faster, more energetic songs were great, too. And I love it when Joe plays around with the theramin, that’s so much fun to watch. Rick was grooving, Carmine was thundering out his massive – and more importantly, musically interesting! – bass lines. And Tal – well, you all know how much he puts into it. He’s a beast! Someone once told me I look like the muppets’ “Animal” when I play drums on Guitar Hero, but Tal is the real deal there!

The crowd was enthusiastic, and I was lucky that those around me were polite – meaning nobody screaming or talking through the whole thing. Joe went really quiet a few times during the show, and people were pretty respectful in those parts, I thought.

The show went on for 2+ hours, without a stop, and everybody in the band was in great form. I thought it was a terrific show – not that I have much to compare it with, this being the third – yes third – rock concert I’ve ever been to. It will be an experience that will stay with me for years to come.

Now, when do I get to see him perform live again?

- Paul