73 (edited by can1208 2011-03-24 13:04:21)

Re: Reading 3-23

Amsterhammer wrote:

That's what we like to hear! Have you retrieved your jaw yet?  big_smile

I managed to hear a couple of minutes of distortion before Cathy's phone died.  roll  But, it's the thought that counts and I was thrilled to exchange a few words with Angela.

So pleased that y'all had a great time, despite the nasty weather!  cool

My jaw never dropped......it was locked tight, teeth knashing...yes, it's my first show.....but everytime I hear his CDs, DVDs, and now *the show*, it's like he takes his (and the band's) performance to a whole new level.

So my thoughts and ramblings.....first the 'M&G' - this was a great event, something I will remember for a long time until dementia sets in....I cannot imagine a more humble, laid back, and thoroughly grounded artist. The casual demeanor with which Joe interacts with the fans is fabulous. I mean, if anyone has an initial "star struck" feeling, Joe's demeanor and attitude immediately disarms it. He was willing to sign anything, thanked everyone for showing up, signed my mounted B&W prints, enquired about the photographer (Jon Viscott that was at Anaheim I believe). He liked both photos. I presented him his favorite cabernet, he chimed in and said 'you seem to have done your homework!' to which I replied 'it is not a '92, which would have set me back a few quid, but I hope you enjoy this vintage!'. His attention to care and detail was so evident...he looked at the bottle, said those kind words, put the bottle back in the box and covered it with the tissue that was protecting it, turned to security and handed it to them for 'back in the bus'.....amazing...

The pre-show - firstly my apologies for the head count...but that's what happens when people do not indicate numbers..though we tried. In any event, it went off very well. Sorry Cathy....I wasn't aware it would be a longer walk than I had thought. And then of course, the heavens opened up to thunder, lightning, sleet/freezing rain....man what an evening!!! It was great to hear Angela and her husband, Jane, Cathy, Paul and his wife, and others chime in on their 'Joe-WHO??' experiences. Forever Young, nice to have met you folks at 'The Ugly Oyster' prior.....

The show?? Like others have quipped - it was on a whole different level of performance. The interaction between Joe, Tal, and Carmine is 'music chemistry' at it's best. Rick excels at keyboards as usual. And Tal literally "attacks" the drums with a ferocity I have not seen in ages. I wonder how many pairs of sticks he goes thru' in a single set.... big_smile Need I comment any more? Joe and the band are smoking hot now, and they make it look so easy....Enough gushing for now.....

Joe's words..."When we first booked Reading, I said..who the hell knows us in Reading??" Well Joe...us Marylanders, New Joisey-ians, Delaware-ians, and Pennsylvanians, of course!!!! He recounted the experience Sandi and himself had "2 blocks South Of Penn" and then at the Ugly Oyster on 3/22.....funny.....

The setlist being what it was - excellent as usual, one number in particular - Sloe Gin - did it for me. At the end of it all, I'm left with a complete sensory overload (and a ringing in my ears that will last a while!!) wink

If I were to sum it up in our 'nerd engineer-esque', Information Technology terms - My hard drive and memory have been wiped completely clean, upgraded and reloaded. My 'operating system' was completely renewed. The CPU??? Fuhhget about it - it was quadrupled and quad-cored, dare I say.....the sonic impact has me in geosynchronous orbit.

"Yubbuddy-Yibbuddy-Yubbuddy...Th-th-th-atttts Aaaalllllll F-F-Fooollllkkkksssss..."

As they say in NASCAR.."Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!!!!!"" (hey, they need to change this to add Ladies too, now that Danica is in the bracket...)..'The Man' is here to stay. Radio stations in the US better start paying attention.

And 'Sir Amsterhammer George' and Rick...we ain't virgins no more, the Slow Train has left the station!!!!!

100% Certified 'Bona-Nut'

Hey Everyone!!!!!!  Great show last night.....Parked near the wrong Soveriegn venue!!!!  (why can't a little "city" like Reading have different names for there two venues  !!! and it was south of Penn  !!  The reviews are spot on......Tal does bring more of a presence to the drum kit (that's not to say that Bogie is not as talented however)  Yes, there seems to be alot more interaction between members.....sorry i didn't get to meet everyone!!!  But it was nice chatting with Don, Jocelyn, Forever, Kim, and nice to meet Angela before venturing into the freezing rain!!! (whats with the rain   in San Diego and spring sleet   in Reading?)   Anyway....i had great 4th row left side aisle seats....and there were no video police...so i got quite a few pretty decent videos  .....here's the first.....Django.....more to come!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYAdja96sKo

Joe speaks!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXsLnT7sMJg

oh.....Django would be kinda incomplete without this one!!!!!
Mountain Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUI0QJtZBAs

Slow Train
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJ91rao3K0

When the Fire Hits the Sea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er3UYm3D2xo

John Henry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly3Fpmqox6g

Young Man Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iAnyoFsaB4

Steal Your Heart Away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii5FwSsiwM0

Like everyone has noted. The show last night was absolutely jaw dropping!

This is my first time seeing Joe live, and it absolutely exceeded my expectations...and I had some high expectations going in.

He played with unbelievable energy and passion the entire night...I can't image playing at that level for as long as he did.

I've been going to concerts for a long long time, and this one will go down as one of the best, if not the best of all time.

The venue was perfect....I swear the walls and ceiling with inhaling and exhaling with the music.

What chops...what incredible tone!!  Just unbelievable!!!!

play4quarters wrote:

This is my first time seeing Joe live, and it absolutely exceeded my expectations...and I had some high expectations going in.

He played with unbelievable energy and passion the entire night...I can't image playing at that level for as long as he did.

I've been going to concerts for a long long time, and this one will go down as one of the best, if not the best of all time.

The venue was perfect....I swear the walls and ceiling with inhaling and exhaling with the music.

big_smile   big_smile   big_smile 

Oh yeah, now that's what we're talkin' about....welcome to the light, brother!  cool

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

cathysiler wrote:

Thanks to all for such a good time. Now the post show depression!! One show is not enough!!! I feel the shakes coming on....Cathy

(edit - a few letters and commas)

Hey Cathy....fear not, fret not, sulk not.....11/11/11 is just around the corner. Guys and Gals, as soon as someone gets any advance vibes on Bal'more, drop a line to everyone, PM, call, whatever - FRONT ROW REQUIRED!!! lol  lol  lol

100% Certified 'Bona-Nut'

play4quarters - Are you by any chance a friend of Gary P. from South Jersey and did you travel from Pennsylvania near the Jersey border?  Just curious!  I'm glad you enjoyed the show.  I thought the venue was beautiful. 

And Rudy- I think Reading is Soveriegn Bank's headquarters...the name is everywhere.  And I agree with your sentiments about repetitive names.  Did anyone see the sign: Penn Street (to the right)  Penn Ave. (to the left) coming off of 422.  lol  Come up with another name that won't confuse things.  big_smile

Can1208 ~ That was just a beautiful review you wrote, you have a nice way with words and expressing your emotions...loved the nerdesque touch to it as well.  smile Maybe you can relay what your wife diagnosed you with....BonamassaADD... (of course, not to make fun of anyone with ADD, Manoj's wife line of work as a physician had her diagnosing him.)  Sing Sick In Love to your wife, believe me she'll let you be obsessed with Joe, instead of putting you in a straight jacket call her in as the doctor. (listen to the words and crank it up - just love that song)  This is what I have to say to you Manoj ~ You got it bad, a bad case of Joe! You are officially addicted.  wink

Its all GOOD. An alliteration of L's ~ Whole LOTTA LOVE & LOYALTY among Joe fans. I'm not sure if we're a cult or an underground, but JOE'S GOT IT GOING ON & WE LOVE HIM! smile

play4quarters wrote:

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Angela wrote:

play4quarters - Are you by any chance a friend of Gary P. from South Jersey and did you travel from Pennsylvania near the Jersey border?  Just curious!  I'm glad you enjoyed the show.  I thought the venue was beautiful.

Hey Angela. Sorry...no, Don't know Gary P., and I just needed to make a short commute from Lancaster, PA...through the hail storm wink Worth it for sure. Glad you enjoyed the show as well!

I'm already setting my sites on seeing another J.B. concert...maybe in Philly or Baltimore in November.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXsLnT7sMJg

can1208 wrote:

Joe's words..."When we first booked Reading, I said..who the hell knows us in Reading??" Well Joe...us Marylanders, New Joisey-ians, Delaware-ians, and Pennsylvanians, of course!!!! He recounted the experience Sandi and himself had "2 blocks South Of Penn" and then at the Ugly Oyster on 3/22.....funny.....

NowThatsWhatI'mTalkingAbout! YEAH! Those were some great reviews and first timer experience reports.  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile
Told ya Manoj, Pauly, Mudman, et al. We can tell you, you can surmise how good it might be... nothing prepares you. You all made my day, week and maybe enough time until BCC cruises into town with the new lineup. Man, I need another Joefix bad!
Ok, enough to get my heart racing, now off to tipoff time for my AZTECS.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Wow, what a terrific show!! big_smile   I was still finding my way back from the lady's room and to my seat during half of the first song, but as soon as I sat down I became so mesmerized by Joe's playing that I was almost to the end of the second song (So Many Roads, always a favorite of mine) before it dawned on me that I hadn't even so much as glanced at the other three top-notch musicians on the stage!  Sorry guys!  But rest assured, once I started taking notice, I couldn't have been more pleased with each of you.  I echo all the same praise Tony Conley gave everyone in his 3/22 blog ( http://rockguitardaily.blogspot.com/201 … f-his.html ), as well as many others here who have been posting reviews since the new tour began.  I agree that Joe, Carmine and Rick are sounding better than ever (and that's including Joe's vocals).  And our newcomer Tal?  The man can freakin DRUM!  'Nuff said!  And the sound mix was perfect throughout.  I was in the back right corner of the orchestra level and everything sounded great back there.  Nice stage lighting too.

I enjoyed every minute of the show, but some of the definite highlights for me were, in chronological order: So Many Roads, If Heartaches Were Nickels, Dust Bowl, Sloe Gin, The Great Flood, Woke Up Dreaming, and Just Got Paid.  These are some of my favorite songs, and this was a stellar live performance of all of them.  So many other people have already described the show and the new level they're playing at, I won't bother repeating what's already been said.  I just wanted to say I was particularly glad to get those songs.  Is it just me, or does anybody else wish he'd bring back Bridge To Better Days?  It's got a great riff, awesome solo, it rocks, it has an uplifting message, it's a Joe original, I always thought it had potential commercial appeal, and I bet these days they'd execute it even better than in the past.  It's one of several songs that made me a fan in the first place.  Just some food for thought.

Once in a while there is discussion here on the forum about whether Just Got Paid/Dazed & Confused should remain on the setlist as a staple, when he's been doing it for so long now and eliminating it would make time for a couple more songs.  I've always been of the opinion that it should stay, because when I attended my first Joe show (not really being familiar with Joe's songs yet), he blew me away all night, but it was THAT song moreso than all the others that really hooked me and made me want to tell people about him.  There used to be an awesome 14 1/2 minute version of it from the 2007 North Sea Jazz Fest appearing on JB-TV that I used to post and send people links to, but it disappeared back when the JB-TV format changed... I never understood or could get an answer why, when it was such a great representation of the song (both musically and the professionally shot video), and all or most of the other 2007 North Sea Jazz Fest songs remain on there.  The 2009 version (and any others I've viewed) isn't quite as good, imo.  Prior to me finding that performance, I had been posting and sending people a link to a fan video, but it wasn't very good quality video/audio, and at this point he doesn't even really play it like that anymore.  And that brings me to my next point... I know this song has evolved over the years and can change from night to night, but I gotta be honest and say that all or most the performances I've seen and heard within the past year or two, while still great, just don't quite do it for me like it used to.  I don't think this is just because I've been around a few years now and the "wow factor" is waning... he actually plays it differently than he used to.  I remember more Dazed & Confused content in there, more theremin, and he'd miraculously use his hands/fingers to perfectly recreate what I guess would be the violin/cello bow sounds.  Now I will say his overall playing is way better now, but I miss all that extra stuff I remember.  So these days I have mixed feelings about whether or not that song should be swapped out for a couple others.  If he'd go back to playing it like he used to, I'd have to say keep it.  But if not, then I might vote to swap it out at this point.  Or maybe not.  It's still an important crowd-wowwer, I know.

Ok, while I'm at it... Woke Up Dreaming is another one.  That was probably the second most impressive song from my first show (I'd never seen such fast and accurate acoustic picking!), and it's another one that compelled me to spread the word about Joe.  I used to post and send people the link to the YouTube video where Joe plays it impromptu on a borrowed guitar at a music store signing... it was good for my purposes because it was relatively short, but included the lyrics and all the key musical parts and changes, and it showed off his talent in raw form without mics and PA, and up close and personal.  Here, I just found it, for those who may not have seen it before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5B3FYUBPyo  Anyway, this is another song that naturally lends itself to continual evolution and nightly flexibility, but while I love the lyrics and the main riff and the various tempo changes, and the picking is amazing, at some point it starts to become less of a song and more of a demonstration.  I would like to see it remain a setlist staple, but a shorter version of it.  That would make time for another song... maybe even a new equally impressive but different sounding acoustic song.  Just a suggestion.

I would've liked to have heard more than two songs off the new CD, especially since most the reviews are saying this is his best album yet.  Dust Bowl was great... such a cool, groovy song, I love it.  But Slow Train was somewhat boring to me... nothing wrong with it, it's a fine song, I enjoyed it like I enjoy most all blues, but it just didn't grab me... though maybe it'll grow on me.  Seems like practically everyone names Prisoner as a favorite off the new release... why isn't that one on the setlist?  I was also surprised Joe didn't give the new CD a plug or even mention it at all, especially given the timing of the release the day before.  Not everyone out there is aware yet, Joe, and you have the platform and a captive audience!  A simple, quick, humble "My 12th CD was just released yesterday, and this is a tune from it..." would be exciting, impressive and informative for the newcomers in the audience.  I don't know, maybe he does mention it at some shows, but not last night, which I thought was odd.

What else can I say about the show?  It was sold out before showtime.  The audience reaction was quite enthusiastic and appreciative from beginning to end.  I loved how everyone stood up during the whole Just Got Paid encore... I finally got to move and groove a little!

The Sovereign PAC is a real nice theater with good acoustics and comfortable seats.  Another thing that always strikes me about that place and I feel it deserves a mention... they have absolutely the best bathrooms of any music venue I've ever been at... HUGE (I heard one lady say her whole house wasn't that big!), with PLENTY of stalls, sinks, extra countertop areas, and mirrors, and everything is always extremely clean and well-stocked.  Well I can't speak for the men's, but that's how the women's is.  And that's just downstairs... there are more bathrooms on the 2nd level.

Oh yeah, Joe made a comment last night that it took him 22 years to get to Reading, as if it was his first visit... but that ain't right... I know he was there about two years ago.  I didn't end up making the show myself (I did Hagerstown instead), but I remember reading reviews about some sound issues and/or an extra low ceiling... might've been at a hotel or something, I'm not sure anymore.  Also might've technically been Wyomissing, but that's smack up against Reading, so same thing.  I seem to remember it being part of the Berks Jazz Fest, unless that was yet a prior Reading appearance.  But he was definitely there at least once before.  The difference in the type and size of venue he played (and sold out) this time compared last time is a true testament of his growing success in these last couple short years... well deserved and congratulations, Joe!

It was good to meet and chat with both the new and familiar faces at the pre-show gathering.  Unfortunately I was kinda limited to my end of the table and there were many I never got to meet.  That was a HUGE group, and a LONG table!  Well, for anybody down there who may have spotted me but didn't know who I was, I was the one with long layered brown hair and glasses, wearing the multi-colored tie-dye t-shirt with an acoustic guitar design on the front and back.  Manoj, thanks again for handling the arrangements.

As already mentioned, Joe told the audience a little around-town adventure story starring him and his girlfriend and ending at the Ugly Oyster, a pub he seemed to highly recommend.  And audiophelia was apparently already a fan of the place, judging by his pre-show post.  Those of you who stopped in there, what was your impression?  I googled it and the menu looks good and it's closer to the venue too.  I'm thinking maybe we should keep it in mind for the NEXT Reading pre-show meet-up, whadaya'll think?  There's also the Peanut Bar... I always hear good things about that place too and apparently their prices are very reasonable.

I can't close this without a follow-up thank-you to RickB for so generously providing me the ticket to a show I didn't think I'd be able to attend.  He even bought me a mid-level priced seat (and I'm betting he would've gone with the highest ticket if those hadn't already been sold out at that point) before I had a chance to tell him a cheap seat in the upper balcony would be fine.  And yes, I definitely enjoyed it enough for the both of us!  I didn't request the meet & greet, but I was hoping to see Joe at his bus post-show.  The only thing I wanted to tell him was about how Rick had "paid forward" the great deed Joe had recently done for him in San Diego... that is, Joe set Rick and his party (including his mother) up with 6 free primo seats, after they'd arrived at the venue only to find their ticket order had somehow been cancelled, and they couldn't buy more because it was a sold out show.  I wanted him to know Rick was more than just appreciative... he put his money where his mouth is and "paid it forward".  And hopefully someday, in some way, I'll be able to do the same for somebody else.  I never did get to see Joe, but I'm hoping somebody reading this with access to him will make sure he knows.  Oh, and about him playing Reading before too.  What the hell, just tell him to read my whole review, haha!  tongue

Holy hell, I'm sorry this got so long... if you stuck in this long, thank you!  It's funny, because in recent years I've really gotten away from writing show reviews... you might even say I've developed an aversion to it, like it's a chore... even when I have stuff I'd really like to say!  But I believe I promised Rick a review, and it seemed like the least I could do, so here it is.  I'm glad I did it, in part because it gave me a chance (or more like forced me) to express what I've been thinking for a while now (the good and the bad) about Just Got Paid and Woke Up Dreaming.  Perhaps that would've been better subject matter for another discussion thread, but seeing the live show is what prompted me to finally speak up, so it became part of the review.

A big THANK YOU to Joe, Carmine, Rick, Tal, Warren, RickB, and all my fellow Bonabuddies who came out, for such a great evening!  I now have 9 shows under my belt, and this just might've been the best one yet.  Or maybe that was my very first one, in 2007... as they say, there's nothing like your first time, haha!  wink

--Vik cool

Sorry to not post my detailed impressions yet, spent most of the day poring over photos and am bleary-eyed. I posted my favorite ~30 over on JBXP if you want to take a look, though I plan to put all of the good ones (203 out of the original 933) on my smugmug site soon - the quality is better than on JBXP.

Great to read all the others' posts in this thread, both the "oldies" and the "newbies"!

- Paul

"It's really liberating to not know you can't do something." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
My photos: http://chemicalgraphics.smugmug.com/

84 (edited by Angela 2011-03-24 22:17:04)

Hey Vikki,

SO MANY WORDS!!! big_smile  A very passionate music fan, for sure.  It was nice seeing you at the restaurant.  smile

Rick, you're a sweetheart, such a nice gesture on your part.   wink  (Sorry about your Aztecs, when Kemba's on, forget about it...)

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Angela wrote:

Hey Vikki,

SO MANY WORDS!!! big_smile  A very passionate music fan, for sure.  It was nice seeing you at the restaurant .  smile

Rick, you're a sweetheart, such a nice gesture on your part.   wink  (Sorry about your Aztecs, when Kemba's on, forget about it...)

It was my pleasure. To make it correct, Joe "only" arranged for 2 tickets, I had 4 from the litho. Too much Kemba for sure. Great review, (article big_smile ) Vikky, I'll try do do as well in the future. smile

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

We stopped in the Ugly Oyster before the meet and greet. It was a cool little Irish Pub. Very small bar space. Didn't get a chance to try out the grub but the beer was yummy!

When Joe was telling his Reading story and started to say that we ended up in this bar, I just knew he was going to say the Ugly Oyster!! It was one of those moments..... big_smile

87 (edited by Rocket 2011-03-25 06:47:34)

HEY everybody, thanks for the great great great reviews!  These types can make us feel like we are along.  big_smile Good times!

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Pics up on SmugMug...

http://chemicalgraphics.smugmug.com/Joe … a-20110323

- Paul

"It's really liberating to not know you can't do something." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
My photos: http://chemicalgraphics.smugmug.com/

89 (edited by Amsterhammer 2011-03-25 08:20:14)

Hey Paul, thanks for all those great photos! I also like the way the site where you posted them works, very smooth.

I hereby award this year's "Libby S. Postzilla Perpetual Challenge Trophy" to Vik for her stunning effort on the previous page!  big_smile

Above and beyond the call of duty, Vik! A really good read, thanks for taking the time!  cool

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

What can I say that hasn't already been mentioned here? I'd be totally shocked if anyone left the venue disappointed. I got all of my videos uploaded to Youtube yesterday, but I can't access the site from work, so I'll post links later. A co-worker of mine recommended the Ugly Oyster for a pre-show spot, but I didn't make it to town early enough to have time to stop in. Pretty funny that Joe mentioned it in his story about his adventures in Reading! Now I will definitely have to stop there next time I have the chance. And yes, I can verify that Joe did play the Berks Jazz Fest in Wyomissing a couple years back because I was there, and when he played The Great Flood that night, the hair on my neck stood straight up. I'll never forget it. It was in the ballroom of a hotel & it had a very low ceiling. I believe Joe whacked a guitar or two during the show.

Anyway, Thank you Joe & gang for another great evening and for taking time after the show to chat for a minute. Like I said, keep coming & I'll keep buying tickets.  cool

Here's a review:

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=296777