Topic: 59 LP Reissue VOS

All,

Anyone know why a VOS 59 LP's price is so drastically higher than the other years.   Is it simply because of the maple top?  Or are there other differences?

Thanks,
Marc

Re: 59 LP Reissue VOS

marcgomez71 wrote:

All,

Anyone know why a VOS 59 LP's price is so drastically higher than the other years.   Is it simply because of the maple top?  Or are there other differences?

Thanks,
Marc

Mostly, people pay out the wazoo for a nice flame

The other notabale features are the 59 has the "most preferred" neck shape
the 58 is touted to be "large" the 60 "too thin" the 59 "just right"
it's all preference though, I've had a couple of 58s that were very nice
I actually like plain tops

the other issue was weight, 59s were said to be lighter 8 to 9 lb range
58s reported 9+ lbs
Les Paul Customs 10+ lbs

personally, I like my new 59 below (eye candy included at link)
7.38 pound VOS 59, it's a "cloud 9", which means chambered
awesome guitar

http://west.poly.edu/~rconne01/clch006.jpg

I was wondering that myself. Couldnt justify paying an extra $2000 for allmost the same guitar. I was really looking at buying one though. Kind of changed my mind. There are many other guitars in the sea. smile Ive become a PRS fan allmost overnight. Especially the singlecut.

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

zosozep7 wrote:

I was wondering that myself. Couldnt justify paying an extra $2000 for allmost the same guitar. I was really looking at buying one though. Kind of changed my mind. There are many other guitars in the sea. smile Ive become a PRS fan allmost overnight. Especially the singlecut.

Rob

I don't want to get into the Les Paul/PRS debate

but a top quality 58 VOS can be had for about $2000
great guitars, and will obviously have that Les Paul tone

these show up used on the bay quite frequently

5 (edited by gsj 2007-02-16 18:12:03)

wink....get into the debate!! PRS are great well made guitars but lacking in soul. Gibson aren't as well built but have a really good 'old friend' feel. The bag is open and the cat's running around chasing the pidgeons smile

Rick wrote:
zosozep7 wrote:

Rob

I don't want to get into the Les Paul/PRS debate

but a top quality 58 VOS can be had for about $2000
great guitars, and will obviously have that Les Paul tone

these show up used on the bay quite frequently

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Here we go ............

:-)

When I see Joe, a true Gear Nut, Guitar Afficienado, World Class Blues Musician
weilding a PRS, then, and only then, will I give one a look

LOL!! Thats could be a great debate!! I happen to own a 58 Custom Shop Historic Reissue. I really like the guitar! I even like that fat neck. How about a debate on the neck of a Les Paul?? LOL! My Singlecut PRS has a push pull tone knob that splits the coils. Very nice! I actually just discovered that about two weeks ago. Found out about it on Ebay.

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

I learn alot on ebay as well, but I always try to confirm it elsewhere, like Harmony Central or Guitar Geek- although there alot more irrelevant chatter on GG.
The more I play it, I agree my PRS is about the best built guitar out there, but the tone is not LP. Mine is the 5-way 24 CE (bolt on neck)- just like a 60's LP neck- I bought it new in 1990. It gets alot of great tone, but is very hot. It really gets a biting high end- which has it's place. I get a ton of split coil and rich jazz tones from the PRS- and it has weathered time very well. Still looks new despite being played (at one point) about two hours a day for a couple of years.
But I am really left scratching my head with PRS' decision to go to a fixed bridge on their new instruments. I don't get that at all.
You just can't open the box and play a LP. I am always fighting to keep it in tune- it being a 2001 standard. Love the sound though. Those new pickup Gison is using are sweet indeed.
But I can see why an LP purist wrinkles his nose at the PRS. They get quite a few scheckles for a new one, and the sound leaves something to be desired compared to the LP- in my opinion on this very subjective topic. But I do love them both.
Jim

wink The cat's still out of the bag. I had a CE22 for a year or two....swapped it for a Nik Huber Dolphin which I shouldn't have sold but money was tight at the time....(along with a Duo-Jet and one or two other guitars). I'm loving my LP at the moment....even though it isn't that well built. But oh, the big fat tone is purrrrrfect!! smile

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

I thank my lucky stars for the idiot that traded in the 73 LP custom in for some PRS. I snapped that baby right up!

Oh- and Joe does own a PRS guitar. I've just never seen him play it.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

11 (edited by pit_s_xroad 2007-02-20 08:01:59)

Hi there...

I think Rick nailed it pretty perfect...

It's because of the flames and figures of the maple-tops and the light-weight mahagony they use for them. I remember seeing a pic of a note, attached to the wall in the Gibson factory, on which the different weights for R7, R8 and R9 had been written on... and lightest were for the R9s...

Mine is very light... have not weighted it yet... though it's not chambered...

I can offer as well some eye-candy...
http://www.pit-schmidt.de/english/e_gal … .html#LP59

But I like the plaintop R8, too... very tasteful great looking guitars.

Greets
PIT... smile