Re: Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Les Paul Registry

Great guitar and welcome to the forum. big_smile There is an introductions thread, why not tell us about yourself. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Greetings: I had a chance to play my epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul last Saturday night, it was fun.
Perhaps some members could help on this one.
I am noticing that when I play the d and g string together with my fingers only, with a decent amount of force, the guitar seems to rattle, even distort accousically. I haven't tried to make the sound happen with an amp. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Albin B

albinbonamassa wrote:

Greetings: I had a chance to play my epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul last Saturday night, it was fun.
I am noticing that when I play the d and g string together with my fingers only, with a decent amount of force, the guitar seems to rattle, even distort accousically. I haven't tried to make the sound happen with an amp. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Albin B

Don't know what a rattle can be, maybe a buzz from frets. When mine came, it badly needed the truss rod adjusting as it was way too tight with no relief whatsoever. After that I have absolutely no issues whatsoever. If it stays a problem, get a techy to do a proper set up. Not many places a rattle can come from other than bridge although mine is no problem. big_smile

Thanks for the input, I had the basic music store set up done, but in general they only do a quick once over. I was thinking the bridge or even the pick guard. A second opinion from another tech is probably a good idea.

Regards

Albin B

PSmith1946 wrote:
albinbonamassa wrote:

Regards

Albin B

Don't know what a rattle can be, maybe a buzz from frets. When mine came, it badly needed the truss rod adjusting as it was way too tight with no relief whatsoever. After that I have absolutely no issues whatsoever. If it stays a problem, get a techy to do a proper set up. Not many places a rattle can come from other than bridge although mine is no problem. big_smile

To follow up with the buzzing/distorted sound. I noticed that the neck pick up had a large gab between the pick and the plastic ring. I made a small schim with cardboard and placed it between the pick up and the ring. This seems to have worked. Thanks again for your input and I hope you continue to enjoy your guitar. I think they are a great deal when you consider all the value built in to the instrument.

Regards

Albin B

Owner FraserGuitarGuy212
Location Scotland
S/N 10101514407
2nd hand in Excellent condition
Got it at christmas

I was wondering if anyone had figured out how to read the seriel numbers for the Epi Joe Bonamassa. Mine starts with 1010, I assume that means 2010 production date?

Any ideas or insights would be appreciated.

Regards

Albin B

206 (edited by dknight16 2013-02-13 07:49:44)

YYMMFF12345

YY year
MM month
FF factory-code
12345 production#

FACTORY NUMBER CODES -- for some models starting in 2008, if serial # begins w/numbers
[NOTE: The numbers appear as the 5th and sixth digits in the serial number.]
11 = MIC sticker on a '08 Masterbuilt
12 = DeaWon or Unsung (China -- uncertainty remains as to which factory)
15 = Qingdao (China) -- electric
16 = Qingdao (China) -- acoustic
17 = China - factory unknown MIC sticker on a J160E
18 = China - factory unknown found on one 2009 model bass
20 = DaeWon or Unsung (China -- uncertainty remains as to which factory)
21 = Unsung (Korea)
22 = ??? Korea (factory still unknown)
23 = ??? Indonesia (factory still unknown, probably Samick,)
I = Indonesia (this letter has appeared as the 5th digit on two authentic new models made in Indonesia

Interestingly, some of the early JB models had a date on the card that was different than the factory stamp.  The theory is that the card date was from the U.S. facility that performed the set-ups after the instruments were imported.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

dknight16 wrote:

YYMMFF12345

YY year
MM month
FF factory-code
12345 production#

FACTORY NUMBER CODES -- for some models starting in 2008, if serial # begins w/numbers
[NOTE: The numbers appear as the 5th and sixth digits in the serial number.]
11 = MIC sticker on a '08 Masterbuilt
12 = DeaWon or Unsung (China -- uncertainty remains as to which factory)
15 = Qingdao (China) -- electric
16 = Qingdao (China) -- acoustic
17 = China - factory unknown MIC sticker on a J160E
18 = China - factory unknown found on one 2009 model bass
20 = DaeWon or Unsung (China -- uncertainty remains as to which factory)
21 = Unsung (Korea)
22 = ??? Korea (factory still unknown)
23 = ??? Indonesia (factory still unknown, probably Samick,)
I = Indonesia (this letter has appeared as the 5th digit on two authentic new models made in Indonesia

Interestingly, some of the early JB models had a date on the card that was different than the factory stamp.  The theory is that the card date was from the U.S. facility that performed the set-ups after the instruments were imported.

Thanks for the information, it is very helpful to date my guitar.

Regards

Albin B

ok, I just got my hands on the Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul!

Owner: daniboy79
S/N: 11091507039
Mfg Date: 09/2011
Quality Issues: none; but needs a setup to my taste(I use 10-52s and like a higher than normal action)

[img]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/20130222110518.jpg/[/img]

daniboy79 wrote:

ok, I just got my hands on the Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul!

Owner: daniboy79
S/N: 11091507039
Mfg Date: 09/2011
Quality Issues: none; but needs a setup to my taste(I use 10-52s and like a higher than normal action)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/83 … 10518.jpg/

Nice axe! I fixed your link. The "img" in brackets with out a space part messes up the forum board.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Thanks RickB ! smile

...BTW , it looks like my LP has the latest production number? S/N: 11091507039

Wow, love the case and the case candy!

It goes without saying that I love your LP too!   ;-)

Steve

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio...among others.
Beacon Theater, New York, May 18, 2013/Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea, Feb. 17-21, 2015/3 Kings Tour, Bangor, ME, Aug. 12, 2015

213 (edited by tonemonster58 2013-03-30 11:52:58)

I missed out on the first run on these. Glad they did more but at the same time it does kind of suck for those thinking there would only be 1000. The reason I wanted one was strictly due to features and price. It really is a phenomenal value. This JB Tribute and the ES355 Limited edition are definitely the Creme de la Creme of the entire Epiphone Line. Doesn't matter what you already own, everyone needs one of these in their arsenal.

Upon initial inspection I was quite disappointed. All in all it looked pretty good albeit a bit plasticy with one glaring major flaw. The fret marker trapezoids  were very poorly executed. There was a 1/8" gap around all the fret markers and the filler they used was not a good match. At 5 feet it is un-noticable but in hand, it might as well be a hole the size of a quarter.

I thought this would be a deal breaker and I was so pissed I almost just closed the case so I could return it. But for some reason I picked it up and started picking.. This thing is heavy over 10lbs and even unplugged was loud as hell almost like an acoustic. Then I plugged it in. I was shocked, this thing was a cannon!!! Before I knew it 2 hours had passed. Long story short I got over my OCD need for perfection and gave it a place next to my Gibson 50's Tribute and ES355. Truth be told, I like the playability and sledgehammer crunch of the JB better than the Gibson. I loved that stock it had a real switchcraft toggle and jack. High quality fullsize long throw 500k pots and stock 50's style wiring with decent .015 and.022 caps (Even the GIBSON  JB has those crappy PCB board electronics with a mix of 500k/300k pots). This unit is getting a Elephant Ivory nut and a Faber Locking bridge with titanium saddles/steel posts and a billet steel Callaham tailpiece with steel tonepros locking studs. Perfection for under $1000.

UPDATE

Installed the Elephant Ivory nut, Steel tailstop w/locking steel studs and the Faber Hybridge w/steel studs. Transformation was DRAMATIC!!! The guitar lost the little bit of low end flubbiness it had without losing the low end growl. It is more articulate with clearer string to string definition even while played under a long sustaining power chord. While the Guitar was quite excellent right out of the box (It has been the ONLY guitar I have ever owned that I did not feel compelled to upgrade) I am well versed in what steel upgrades and a true Ivory nut can do for any guitar so I made the upgrades anyway. Boy am I glad I did.

This guitar will now hold its own against any Les Paul at any price having no weaknesses. One of myfriends that I jam with from time to time has a 1960 Les Paul that he bought in 1973. Current Value $100,000+++ and I have to tell you the Epi JB is right there and at least its equal in performance and tone. In your hands it has an alive quality that just begs for it to be pushed. Harmonics and subtle nuance jump off the fretboard without any effort being made to find them. There is a distinctive boost with the volume that only kicks in at 9-10 and it works just like a boost pedal. The last little umpphh that comes from that puts the unpotted Burstbuckers right at the edge of out of control and produces easily controlled,very musical feedback right at your fingertips.

I can't say enough good things about this guitar. Easily the best purchase I have ever made. Time will put these in a class of their own and they will do nothing but appreciate in value with each passing year.

Owner: tonemaster58
S/N: 12111518231
Mfg Date: 11/2012
Quality Issues: noted

They are amazingly good aren't they. Welcome also and why not give us a quick hello on the introductions thread. big_smile

John Lankford
Sevierville, TN

Owner: Tommy Wilson-O'Brien (IHitThingsHard)
S/N #12111511480
J.B. LP Gold Top (2nd Run)
Band: Simpletown (In Development)
Guitar & Vocals
Topaz Lake, NV (Northern Nevada)

Tommy Wilson-O'Brien
Topaz Lake, NV

"It is far better to have Rocked and Bombed... than to never have Rocked at all"