1 (edited by zosozep7 2007-02-13 20:24:59)

Topic: Keeley Compressor

Can anybody tell me about this pedal? I like my Boss Compressor but I was pricing a Keeley and they run about $200 bucks on average. Are these pedals really that good? Im also in the hunt for some other unique pedals if anybody has any suggestions please let me know. Im real interested in that pedal Joe used at one time for a leslie like sound. I thought someone here once told me it was a Korg g4 or something like that?

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

Re: Keeley Compressor

Keeley electronics are based in OKC. Over the last couple of years I have gotten to know several of the emplyees as well as Robert Keeley. They are a very good company. Customer friendly. I know if you have any questions they are more than happy to answer them.

I know nothing about compressors other than I know people that rave about the Keeeley. Including Joe. My son uses one too. Joe's stopped working before he went in the studio and they rushed him another. I guess that says something about it, he didn't want to go in the studio without it.

They are very high quality

They actually don't do that much, which is a good thing
it doesn't color your sound, but it smoothed it out quite nice

I now have the 4 button one, and I haven't played with it that much
but if you want a nice amount of compression, without knowing its
really there, the Keeley is great

I tried a couple of cheaper ones, and they sound more like an effect
the Keeley is very transparent

is it something you'd keep constantly on if it is transparent?

when is it beneficial?

I heard eddie van halen used compression on the recording of Eruption...?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

is it something you'd keep constantly on if it is transparent?

when is it beneficial?

I heard eddie van halen used compression on the recording of Eruption...?

I wouldn't keep it on all the time
country players might

Can't remember anyones pedal board that I have seen live use a compressor
but along with compression comes sustain, helps get clean sustain

it's beneficial to use use to keep your note volume constant
if you pick really hard it will soften it, if you have a random attack
it will make it sound smoother...chicken pickers like that

I used it with my Bassman, tended to get rid of some of the ice pick
only helped sustain a little, loses just a little tone

I prefer to play without one actually, like clean unprocess single coil sound myself

cheers

i played with a boss compressor/sustainer and it didn't trip my fancy

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

i played with a boss compressor/sustainer and it didn't trip my fancy

me neither, the Boss squashed the living daylights out of my pick attack
but I got a bit more sustain....altered my tone way too much

the Keeley is much better for me

whether it's worth the $$, it's up to you

The Maxon CP101 Reissue Series compressor is really soft and transparent, moreso than the Keely IMO, and a little cheaper. If you run the sustain really low, it won't give you that squashing effect and will put a little muscle into single coils. For garden variety pop-rock stuff it sounds pretty good, but for blues, not so much. I pulled it off my board after about 6 months because it just takes too much touch out of your hands.

I might be interested in a trade. Whacha got?

Blessings,
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

9 (edited by Demonsterastratofixation 2007-02-14 17:02:50)

A compressor is a must.   You can't expect them to get you excited because the effects are subtle until you actually hear what you are striving for (often pre or post to another effect in the chain), then you realize there is no way in hell to go without one.  Many do not know how to actually use to get diversity from their instrument.  The ol’ MXR Dyna Comp was THE standard in the late '70's and all '80's and still sounds good but I think the Keeley is an upgrade on the concept.  Simple and sweet! It sounds like they are VERY meticulous of the design quality and that is worth its wait in gold with effects of any kind.
Plus if Jim M knows and recommends them I would trust completely...it's been years but maybe I'll have to take up playing again to find out! NPB just about EVERYTHING is recorded with compression of some sort and usually on stage rack effects too.  If the reverse effect is used (expansion) as a complement noise reduction (when I say "noise reduction" it means noise and ANY unwanted sound, that unwanted sound may be "wanted" in another circumstance or by a different person) alone is well worth the usage.  Sustain and feedback control are good.  Overbearing volume (in relation to other band members in the mix, yet still "hot" in the forefront like in a solo) kept in check, lots of practical uses!  Record and playback to train your ears if you think you cannot hear the differences in real time...Bypass transparency means nothing "leaks" from the circuitry into your sound  when you  want the sompletely "dry" sound...

Thank you all for your input!! I might just get me a Keeley or Ill look into that Maxon Larryt mentioned. I have a Maxon OD9 that I really love.

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You