Re: Sounds Very Familiar

Just checked it out and it wet my appetite to see Robben next Mon. night. It was about time to move this post since it pretty much veered off into responses solely about Robben. Thanks Jim!!!

Big Room @ Sierra Nevada or Bust,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Sound quality isn't great, but this is kinda cool....guitarist friend of mine and I are planning on working it up for a blues jam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iigXHUozaUo

I've heard better harp players, but Bruce ain't bad....

Keep on rockin' the blues

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

Thanks for that footage jim.  I love Robben, wish we could see him live.  This is a question for any guitarist.  Several years ago, my hubby tired to find a guitar teacher to improve some of his skills, he didn't have much luck.  One guy in particular really frustrated him, because he was trying to make him relearn something he's done forever.  You know how a guitarist uses him thumb and bends it over the neck to the top string, he told him it was wrong, poor technique.  Ever since then, I've noticed how most guitarists use their thumb over the top, including Robben. Is it technically poor form?  Jim mentioned Eric Johnson earlier-his Ah Via Musician was ranked #1 Underrated Guitar's Greatest Albums...he said making it was like Olympic training. He is so tuned in he can tell the difference in battery brands. He's another guy I discovered from this site.

Jess- do you by any chance have the tab book for Robben's Handful of Blues?

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Robben's version of "Born Under a Bad Sign" is also very good.

Angela,
I say time to find another guitar teacher smile Hendrix used his thumb as well. These by the book people make me laugh. Case in point: This one guy I played pool with used to say I held the pool cue incorrectly and I beat him - lol.

Angela, I don't have the Handful Of Blues book. The book I got was The Best Of Robben Ford.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

Yeah....Robben's voice reminds me a bit of Steve Miller...fairly clean but workable. Robben comes off as one of those guys who wouldn't sing if he didn't feel he had to.  Joe's voice is definitely growing over the years. I was never much a fan of SRV's or Eric Johnson's singing.  I would've bought Clapton records just for his voice...it also matured nicely into the 80's. Robert Cray sings his butt off IMO.

jim m wrote:

OK I'll work Joe into it. Joe has a blues voice Robben doesn't. Eric Johnson Doesn't. That might be why Robben never got out of the cult following status he has. Not a mainstream voice. Joe's voice is what has the ability to possibley catapult him into the mainstream. 

David wrote:

I saw him at the free Bluesfest here a few years ago. He was amazing! When I heard he was gonna be there I said, no way, Robben Ford?! The only minus: vocals aren't that powerful.

Sorry jim, I couldn't segue Joe into the post. Move it to the other artists section. Oh, wait a minute! When are you coming back to the Bluesfest, Joe? smile

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.

Saw Robben last night in Chico, Ca. @ The Big Room @ Sierra Nevada Brewing, very good blues show indeed. Robben has Volker Strifler accompanying on guitar and vocals. This made for a double-barrelled guitar assault by two incredible players. More than a couple people I talked to thought Volker's vocals had a Stevie Ray sound to him. The Big Room was built expressly for live music and lives up to it's billing. For all the equipment heads out there, Robben played the entire show on a '55 gold top Les Paul through a single Fender Super Reverb. Coupled with the house system it made for a very clean sound except that he kept coming unplugged and tangled, but Volker more than took up the slack. Can't wait to see Joe next time he plays this venue. Hey Joe if you didn't already know, Bob is workin' on gettin' you back in there later in the year.

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

26 (edited by Guitgator 2007-02-22 01:02:57)

Angela.....some guitar teachers apparently get uptight over using your thumb. These are the same people who iron their "tightie whities" every morning before heading out the door.  Thumbs are great for holding beer bottles AND playing guitar IMO.

Angela wrote:

Thanks for that footage jim.  I love Robben, wish we could see him live.  This is a question for any guitarist.  Several years ago, my hubby tired to find a guitar teacher to improve some of his skills, he didn't have much luck.  One guy in particular really frustrated him, because he was trying to make him relearn something he's done forever.  You know how a guitarist uses him thumb and bends it over the neck to the top string, he told him it was wrong, poor technique.  Ever since then, I've noticed how most guitarists use their thumb over the top, including Robben. Is it technically poor form?  Jim mentioned Eric Johnson earlier-his Ah Via Musician was ranked #1 Underrated Guitar's Greatest Albums...he said making it was like Olympic training. He is so tuned in he can tell the difference in battery brands. He's another guy I discovered from this site.

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.

Angela wrote:

Some guitarists actually use their thumb over the top of the neck to play and/or mute strings while playing chords--like Hendrix.  Other times it is used over the top of the neck when soloing to anchor bends.  I personally consider it poor technique to NOT anchor your bends with your thumb--ouch!  Maybe his teacher was classically trained and is taking that approach, but when you play blues and/or rock and you bend a string 1 1/2 to 2 steps, you need all of the leverage you can get.  When teaching this techniqe to my students, called "reinforced bends", we grab miscellaneous guitar magazines in my studio and "look" for the thumb over the top and rarely is it not there.

This absolutely blows me away when I hear of guitar teachers frusterating their students!  It seems anyone who owns a guitar thinks that they can teach.  Guitar is supposed to be fun.

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Funny about the over the top thumb comments-guitgator funny...when my parents first were married in the 50's, my mom ironed my dad's boxers with spray starch!!! 

I don't even play guitar, but now always observe it and rarely see anyone that doesn't.  Frustrated is putting it mildly, hubby had to quit with this dude after a short time.  I don't know if he's classically trained or not, but he plays in a band and got a very nice write up in Guitar Player not too long ago, so he is well respected and personally my hubby thought he was a great guy and an excellent guitarist!!  He's resorted to playing everyday for the fun of it and buying every imaginable instructional DVD of everyone he likes to pick up new tricks!

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

I'm glad to hear that your hubby's teacher was well respected and a good guitarist.  Hey, if he got a write-up in Guitar Player--that's more than I've ever gotten!  But to say that it was "wrong, poor techniqe" to place your thumb over the neck, I still disagree.

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

I think playing chords with your thumb on the low E is really a helpful technique in blues and jazz, it helps you to reach so many different chords that would be really awkward to play otherwise and it frees up your other fingers to add fills to the chords ala Hendrix.

I rarely play a root 6 chord shape without using my thumb, its become such a huge part of my playing that I could never stop doing. That said I know how to change my grip when a chord like that is called for and then maybe even have my thumb right down the neck like classical technique if I need to do a fast run that involves stretches.

When you are learning I think it is better to play with your thumb behind the neck so you can develop proper technique and it makes changing regular chords easier than if you have your palm wrapped tightly around the neck.

Then once you have that be able to change your hand position according to the chord or line you want to play whether that be with your thumb on the low E or whatever.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub