Topic: Sounds Very Familiar

I've been listening to my Robben Ford stuff in anticipation of catching his show in Chico, Ca. on the 19th this month. Joe credits Robben as one of his influences in his bio and if anybody happens to have a copy of Handful of Blues, then check out two songs in particular 1) The Millers Son & Tired of Talkin'. If you didn't know who you were listening to you'd swear it was Joe. I think it's the tone and phrasing that caught my ear. What do the Bonamasses think?

Bluesin' Out West,

J Dawg

"You better talk to your daughter"        Robben Ford

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Re: Sounds Very Familiar

So I guess you guys aren't that familiar w/ Robben Ford.

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Hey Dawg! I am relatively new to Robben Ford. I do have some stuff by him but I just havent gotten to listening to it much. I have been overwhelmed by a ton of music lately! Ill have to pull it back out and listen to it. Thanks for the heads up!

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

I have been a huge fan of Robben since 1988's Talk to Your Daughter. I had seen him on the Court and Spark tour with Joni Mitchell in 74. I finally got to see him Wednesday with Blue Line bassist Roscoe Beck and Austin session man Brannon Temple on drums. Robben did not dissapoint. Everything I thought he would be live and more. I got to speak with him after the show. I said something about him being a blues guy. He seemed shocked to be considered blues. I told him kind of in the same vein of Robert Cray, sophisticated blues, only Robben plays more shuffles than Robert. Contempory blues at its best.

He is one of the most overlooked players out there. He has his own recognizable sound that all players strive for. He has done stints with not only Joni Mitchell, but George Harrison, Miles Davis, Gregg Allman, John Mayall
Jimmy Witherspoon, Tom Scott. He does a fussion thing calle Jing Chi with Vinnie Caulutta on drums and Jimmy Haslip on bass.

Although I have been a fan for a long time of Robben's and put seeing him right up there with anybody I have ever seen. He is a great dynamic player but he lacks the over all power Joe displays.

Joe told me of sharing the stage with Robben when he was 16 and how it was a humbling experience. I would give anything to see that again today. I think Joe B would wow Robben a bit now.

As loong as we keep mentioning Joe in this thread we won't have to move it to Other Artists.

ohiodawg-Definitely add this to your collection.
http://www.robbenford.com/HandfulofBlues.html
I was thinking Chevrolet could of used Robben's version for their new ad.  Track#11  smokes and sizzles!!

I hear similarities to lots of influences, so your ears are working just fine!

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

6 (edited by Demonsterastratofixation 2007-02-09 12:18:24)

"....Just to do somethin' for you....(Chevrolet).'Robben is indeed as overlooked ,as is Joe and both add a ssoothing satisfaction to life for me beyond words and wealth.  Never met or seen live Robben yet but it's on my list of hope to do soon... Robben's solo on "Tired of Talking" is one I like to just keep rewinding and replaying, a little louder each time...

My guitar teacher Dennis Shepherd always talked about Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck and Robben Ford.... one of those things where you never gave them a chance. I think I'd be a lot better player if I started listening to them as early as I could've been...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Sorry I got impatient for a response, the Bonamasses know their blues players. Another great guest spot Robben played is Bonnie Raitt's "Real Man". Some very tasty lead work. I was turned on to Robben's "Talk To Your Daughter", by of all people my ex-mother in-law about 17-18 yrs. ago and have been a fan ever since. Looking forward to seeing him live again w/ his brother Mark on blues harp and his latest addition to the band Volker Strifler on guitar. Look this guy up, he's starting to make some noise at least out my way in the SF Bay area. Not to stray from the true subject matter, I'm searching two venues in Norcal that Joe's playing in May for ticket sales dates, can't get enough of the kid!!!! I guess I'll have to knock off that kid stuff come May 8th when Joe hits the big 3-0. Got to get back to building my ark, it's been raining for 2 days straight and is supposed to rain for 3 or 4 more days.

Rainy Day, Dream Away,

J Dawg

I LOVE Robben. I just bought his tab book and I am trying to learn Life Song. His tone and touch in that song is just phenomenal!

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

10 (edited by David 2007-02-09 20:36:48)

I saw him at the free Bluesfest here a few years ago. He was amazing! When I heard he was gonna be there I said, no way, Robben Ford?! The only minus: vocals aren't that powerful.

Sorry jim, I couldn't segue Joe into the post. Move it to the other artists section. Oh, wait a minute! When are you coming back to the Bluesfest, Joe? smile

As I've posted before, Robben Ford is how I got introduced to Joe Bonamassa.  Robben has been one of my favorites especially for his tone and taste, and I heard he was going to play in Omaha at the Indigenous Jam in 2003.  I went there and went early and here was this Joe Bonama-something guy who blew me away and the rest is history with my Bonaddiction.

I've seen Robben live several times and he's always great.  I really dig all of his Blue Line stuff and some of the Jing Chi and solo stuff is great, too.  I wasn't knocked out by his latest cd "Keep On Running" but Tigerwalk and Blue Moon have some good stuff on them.  Like Jess said, Life Song is sublime.  I also dig Freedom and Red Lady w/ Cello off of Tigerwalk and Something For the Pain off of Blue Moon.  He's not Joe, and he's generally a bit more mellow in the sound and mood of his stuff but I dig him just the same.

Saw Robben Ford with Roy Rogers opening up
Toads Place
New Haven, CT
Years ago
1993?

OK I'll work Joe into it. Joe has a blues voice Robben doesn't. Eric Johnson Doesn't. That might be why Robben never got out of the cult following status he has. Not a mainstream voice. Joe's voice is what has the ability to possibley catapult him into the mainstream. 

David wrote:

I saw him at the free Bluesfest here a few years ago. He was amazing! When I heard he was gonna be there I said, no way, Robben Ford?! The only minus: vocals aren't that powerful.

Sorry jim, I couldn't segue Joe into the post. Move it to the other artists section. Oh, wait a minute! When are you coming back to the Bluesfest, Joe? smile

Joe's voice is like a fine wine, it truly is getting better with age!!!  Robben also doesn't tour extensively, hardly ever comes to the east coast.  I think he'd be a little more popular if he did, he's a huge talent!  Anyone like the way Robben covers Politician, I think it's good. It's funny the feedback you got from Robben about being called the blues.  Music categories are always an interestig topic.  Anthony seems to think Robben may want some of his music to be considered eclectic, blues-jazz fusion?!

And Birthday wishes to you Jim-may the year be a happy and healthy one!! Cheers!

jim m wrote:

OK I'll work Joe into it. Joe has a blues voice Robben doesn't. Eric Johnson Doesn't. That might be why Robben never got out of the cult following status he has. Not a mainstream voice. Joe's voice is what has the ability to possibley catapult him into the mainstream. 

David wrote:

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Robben is a players player... his tone is unmatched... I would go so far as to say he is more jazz than blues. I won't attempt to make a comparison between him and Joe because 1 it's subjective.. and 2 it's apples and oranges.

"You jump in front of my car when you.. you know all the time.. ninety miles an hour girl is the.. speed I drive.. "

Throw away the tab books and learn with your ears and your heart smile

Jess wrote:

I LOVE Robben. I just bought his tab book and I am trying to learn Life Song. His tone and touch in that song is just phenomenal!

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

going to see him next week in salem @ leftys...ronnie, you in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZKaRcvq … mp;search= Check this out.