Topic: Who's Your Supergroup?

Just wondering, after seeing last night's show, who you'd pick to be in a "Supergroup"

I realize we'd ALL pick Joe on guitar, but is there anyone else you'd pick?  What about drummer, bass player, singer, etc... what LIVING musicians would make YOUR Supergroup?

Re: Who's Your Supergroup?

A.J. wrote:

Just wondering, after seeing last night's show, who you'd pick to be in a "Supergroup"

I realize we'd ALL pick Joe on guitar, but is there anyone else you'd pick?  What about drummer, bass player, singer, etc... what LIVING musicians would make YOUR Supergroup?

Hmmm........let's see........

As you stated, one member of this "Supergroup" is obvious!  Some guy on guitar, originally from upstate New York......! I've heard he's pretty good.

Billy Sheehan on bass would be cool. Anyone heard his group "Niacin"? I also think Leyland Sklar (now with Barefoot Servants) is underrated and would be a good choice.

While I'm not a huge fan of the Dave Matthews Band, I DO think that Carter Beauford, is AMAZING. So he'd be my choice on drums.

I enjoy Joe's voice on his recordings but there's a couple of vocalists I'd like to hear with Joe IF this hypothetical Supergroup were a reality.
For the harder-edged songs, how about Glenn Hughes? On the softer, more R & B/Blues-tinged pieces, I'd have to go with Malford Milligan (Storyville, the Boneshakers) who has an incredible voice. However if you want to go with a FEMALE vocalist, it'd have to be Joyce "Baby Jean" Kennedy of "Mother's Finest". She's been doing it for years and sounds as good today as she ever has.

I think I'd pay to go see these guys!

I of course would have Joe On Guitar

A 2nd guitarist   Gary Moore

Bass                Billy Sheehan

Drums             Neal Peart

Except for Joe, my supergroup has already formed and is on the road, Eric Clapton's current touring band:

Clapton
Derek Trucks
Doyle Bramhall II
Chris Stainton
Willie Weeks
Steve Jordan

::drool::

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

the meters + Joe

"You jump in front of my car when you.. you know all the time.. ninety miles an hour girl is the.. speed I drive.. "

I agree with Florida Dave about Leland Sklar. He is the best bassplayer in the world. Check his website and you will see why. He played on more than 2000 recordings.
I first heard of him when I bought the LP 'Forward Motion (in 1973 I believe). He plays the best bass solo I've ever heard till now: Get down Piltdown. It's so good! In the band were also guitarist Danny Kortchmar, drummer Russ Kunkel all famous sessionplayers. Very very good band.
Since 1973 I try to get the other 2 records from the Section but can"t get it in Holland. I wonder if it's available on CD. Can anybody of the forum help me out please?

On drums Simon Phillips. Saw him live several times, just great. Saw him in one of the best concerts I ever saw in Amsterdam in mid seventies. Jeff Beck on guitar and Stanley Clarke on bass. Fusion at it's best.

No singer needed in the supergroup, I like Joe's singing. The voice fits the music perfectly.

That's my band.

Andre Wittebroek.

Mine's a 3 piece. Joe of course, Les Claypool (Primus) on bass and Terry Bozzio (Frank Zappa) on drums. Can you imagine all that talent in one room? Guitar, bass and drum solos at every show smile

David-

That would make an amazing band.... I always loved Terry Bozio, and Les Claypool is amazing as well (I mentioned him in the other Supergroup thread, he's really good)... I also like Stu Hamm, Billy Sheehan, and Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers) on bass... I can't even begin to think of which guitar player besides Joe- and Florida Dave, I also think Carter Beauford is a terrific drummer. Now, I don't want people to laugh, but does anyone remember Shiela E.?? Now there's a girl that can drum...  as far as singers go, my all time favorite is probably Robert Plant..

I know I asked the question, but I'm still thinking of artists! I'll have to keep checking back.

9 (edited by David 2006-05-22 19:20:04)

Yeah, I remember Sheila with Prince. Hey, how bout a female supergroup. You can team her up with Jennifer Batten (Jeff Beck) on guitar and Meshell Ndegecello on bass.

I'd like to see Joe with Gavin Harrison on drums & Michael Manring on bass.

Then again....

Could someone ask an easy question? smile

"The blues is just a good man feelin' bad"

Singer- Paul Rodgers
Guitar- Eric Clapton
Guitar- Joe Bonamassa
Bass- John Paul Jones
Drums- Jason Bonham

A.J. wrote:

David-

That would make an amazing band.... I always loved Terry Bozio, and Les Claypool is amazing as well (I mentioned him in the other Supergroup thread, he's really good)... I also like Stu Hamm, Billy Sheehan, and Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers) on bass... I can't even begin to think of which guitar player besides Joe- and Florida Dave, I also think Carter Beauford is a terrific drummer. Now, I don't want people to laugh, but does anyone remember Shiela E.?? Now there's a girl that can drum...  as far as singers go, my all time favorite is probably Robert Plant..

I know I asked the question, but I'm still thinking of artists! I'll have to keep checking back.

A.J.- I had made a post on the old forum about seeing Shiela E with Ringo Starr and his Allstar Band. Shiela is the most fascinating, unique and talented drummer I have ever seen perform live, she's no laughing matter in my book. I've only recently come to appreciate the downright funky bass playing of Flea (thanks to child #2) and just got tickets to see the Chili Peppers in October.

I'm glad to see other Bonamasssa fans live in fantasyland and some cool combos happening here; nice thinking of JPJ and Bonham.  Other than my preference for Eric Clapton and Joe to play together, I'd add LD Miller to kick things up a notch!!  There's a Philly buzz starting over LD and I bought my first Clayton Miller Band CD earlier today. And I would definitely have someone on keys, my sentimental favorite is Billy Preston.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Now this would be one
smokin' lineup....

Craig wrote:

lead vocals- Paul Rodgers
Guitar-doyle bramhall 2
Guitar- Joe Bonamassa
Bass- victor wooten
Drums- Jason Bonham

Supergroups went out with Blind Faith, remember?

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Joe, Pat Thrall, Carmine Rojas, and Jason Bonham sounds pretty good to me.  Say don't they have an album coming out in a couple of weeks?

..well here's mine...

Joe on the axe and vox...
Simon Phillips on the drums
Jon Lord Hammond organ
Nathan East on bass

Greets
PIT smile

the derek trucks band....they difinitely are a super group!

the dude wrote:

Joe, Pat Thrall, Carmine Rojas, and Jason Bonham sounds pretty good to me.  Say don't they have an album coming out in a couple of weeks?

Correctamundo! But I believe that is what you call, when you add a dash of L.D. Miller it is not a supergroup but a SUPERB group!!!

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

P.S. Can't (hardly) wait to hear the "Don't Mess With The Kid" L.D. Miller (will he have great taste or no filler?) and tune up Sarah, you never know...

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”