1 (edited by Rocket 2010-12-07 06:21:04)

Topic: Nashville Black Friday Special

Well what can you say when you return to Music City and they are singing your praises, and your songs?  Joe Bonamassa rolled into Nashville with his band and had the Polk Theater audience at the TPAC eating out of his hand from the minute he walked out onto stage blasting the opening cut from his first solo album, which harkens back to 2000's A New Day Yesterday.  The mood just intensified as he and the band ripped So Many Roads, with Joe's soloing scorching the eyeballs of the many newcomers, who had "heard of" him, but never seen and heard him.  His reputation had finally preceded him in a huge way.  I had much pleasure watching the crowd roll in, getting their casual drinking and casual merchandise gawking underway.  I had to set the record straight to someone coming to the show with the wrong impression, i.e. Stevie Ray like syndrome.  I let them know they were not in for another Stevie Ray appearance, which put them off a little but I knew the content of the evening's act would set the record straight for them once and for all.  Met some really interesting folks-someone from the Gibson factory attending a repeat time with a gal wearing a Buffalo, New York sweatshirt (they had been at TPAC for Joe's last appearance, but were not attending together, but now it was natural since they run in the same circles, not only that he had actually been to my hometown even though he was a local, not a prior upstate New Yorker like she had been), someone originally from Utica, actually nearby New Hartford, New York who ironically had never seen Joe Bonamassa before (and was wondering how "country" Black Country Communion was, only to be told they are hard rock, only to ironically recall having seen Glenn Hughes with Deep Purple as his very first concert ever).  I strolled out back stage area and saw what looked like all 3 members of Ryan McGarvey's outfit ( and was) hop out of a van parked in front of the buses and jog across the street to the back stage entrance, just in front of me.  Had a little chat with them about their show later and the hope to make it.  Great bunch of guys, all of 'em.  The receptionist called for Warren for me since Ryan's group was off to see Joe.  The time was getting tight, so it was back to the front and into the theater lobby chatting it up again.  Met a couple celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary and seeing Joe for the very first time and excited about it.  The lines to the merch table were BIG and business was brisk.  Helped out with recommendations as usual.  The lines to get drinks were ridiculously large now with uh, 12 minutes to midnite looking like it might be 12 minutes late.  I knew what was coming as I spread the word the show will go on on time, and many paid heed, as drinks were allowed in.  Finally headed inside and got to myseat and said a few hellos, and we were off and running, Joe Bonamassa band style-nonstop action. I think the setlist was as follows:

Cradle Rock
So Many Roads-had them whistling and roaring in earnest
When The Fire Hits The Sea-delivered with a solid backbeat and front end punch
So, It's Like That
If Heartaches Were Nickels-extra special soulfully rendered
Slow Train-really got them stirring, a great new tune that spins the head and dazzles the ears
Steal Your Heart Away
Sloe Gin-once again an otherworldly performance, roused them to their feet!
The Ballad Of John Henry
Happier Times
Never Make Your Move Too Soon
The Great Flood
Young Man Blues
Woke Up Dreaming-everyone on their feet for a greatly appreciative standing ovation
India/Django/Mountain Time

Encores:
Bird On A Wire
Just Got Paid-Up rocking and had Nashville catching their breath after as much as the  band

4th row directly aligned with Joe last night Nashville, TN, sound was a fantastic, a dream, sweet, kudos to Warren.  The slight building, crescendo of Bird On A Wire got a little muddled vocally, although the musicianship doesn't approach overzealous, but it spilled over the clarity, and I know it was only in the orchestra seats, which was floor level and directly behind the seats rose and the vocals were clearer.  All vocals otherwise floor level floored me, even though I could discern a teensy, tiny, bit of knackered, none of which detracts from their greatness. Rick's blend brought out even more exotic and subtle tones than usual, and the rhythm section was perfectamente! The interplay between Carmine and Joe on Young Man Blues tore the roof off, leaving no doubt how good the bass is in this combo!  cool  cool  cool 

After show gathered out back again, big crowd dwindled with the ever dropping temperature with
#1KYFan & husband, (never fished out Jerrdog or Sandy Girl) Dennis, Sherry, Wharris family including the young man with tons of both respect AND taste, Bogie is his new favorite drummer, since his signature sticks were bought, handled by Bogie and signed again, in person! Joe, the sweet back door receptionist,  unsolicited, said that was very good, she was beaming as she left in her scooter chair, and said to me she enjoyed you, REALLY enjoyed you very much on her MONITOR, and what was your last name again??!!  lol Joe and Sandy strolled out and Joe said he'd be right back, and to sentimental me, the two looked so sweet scooting across the street holding hands almost a la John & Yoko to let Sandy on the bus.  Made it on down to the Exit In just in time to catch Ryan McGarvey's last 2 songs, extended versions of Mystic Dream & If 6 Was 9, with Ryan at his best albeit it unfortunately to just a precious few (nearly empty by then).  They still sounded and played good.  Ryan & the guys had caught much of Joe's show, and Joe was actually going to pop over to theirs, but he gear reload took longer than anticipated and therefore precluded that jam!  sad  However, Good time chats went late into the morning...Met some musical connections of course  wink !

Last 2 weeks of the tour folks get out there and root 'em on home!!!

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Re: Nashville Black Friday Special

Spot on review Rocket.
We were at the show Friday night also.
Great venue, first of all.
This was the 4th JB show for my wife and me. There was a increased energy level from Joe and the band in Nashville, that was a step above other shows we've seen.
Maybe they are on a end-of-the-tour high. No matter, it was awesome!

Rocket wrote:

I strolled out back stage area and saw what looked like all 3 members of Ryan McGarvey's outfit ( and was) hop out of a van parked in front of the buses and jog across the street to the back stage entrance, just in front of me. 

. . . sound was a fantastic, a dream, sweet, kudos to Warren. 

After show gathered out back again, big crowd dwindled with the ever dropping temperature with
#1KYFan & husband, (never fished out Jerrdog or Sandy Girl) Dennis, Sherry, Wharris family
Rocket

Hey Rocket, I saw those 3 guys jump out of the van and almost get hit as a city bus whizzed by!  Didn't know who they were though.

Absolutely, the sound was perfect where we were sitting, 2nd row, orchestra left, on the aisle.  So much better than my first Joe Show (in Fayetteville).

Rocket, I had written down where you told me your seats were but didn't make it to the show with that.  I kept looking in the center section a couple rows back from me.  Were you seated on the aisle?  I was kinda looking for your cap but didn't see one. 

I really hate that I missed meeting up with you guys (and Joe!).  Will try again in Las Vegas!

Sandy

I know a place ....

I was later going into the theater than I had hoped, sorry.  I had the hat on until the show started.  I did notice an amazingly low t shirts worn number, but had witnessed shirts flying off the racks. I had on the Union Jack Tour Shirt, which, incidentally, Ryan McGarvey told me his friend designed.  wink

Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I smiled all day knowing that grey ponytail was flitting around Nashville. Joe and Ryan..WOW..that's a Crossroads flashback.  big_smile  It sounds like one of those "special" nights. Lots of energy, great mix, stunning lights, and the best music out there. Thanks for the recap of the days events as well as the show.  Cathy

6 (edited by Rocket 2010-11-29 00:44:17)

cathysiler wrote:

I smiled all day knowing that grey ponytail was flitting around Nashville. Joe and Ryan..WOW..that's a Crossroads flashback.  big_smile  It sounds like one of those "special" nights. Lots of energy, great mix, stunning lights, and the best music out there. Thanks for the recap of the days events as well as the show.  Cathy

Special it was.  A fellow we ran into at Ryan's closing had seen Ryan and Joe at the Crossroads Village stage, and subsequently drove down from Indianapolis to Nashville!  cool
Ryan also got a card from #1 KYFan for Strings For A Cure, see whut happuns!
Sandy G., gee if you saw them you likely saw me without recognition, especially if I was in the middle of shape shifting...

Rocket

cathysiler wrote:

I smiled all day knowing that grey ponytail was flitting around Nashville. Cathy

So Rocket, I was going to ask if you had a grey ponytail and now that Cathy has confirmed it, I/we did see you several times, just didn't know it was you.  You made enough of an impression, though, that we remembered.  My husband thought you were part of JB's crew.

. . . and what could have possibly kept you from your great seat until after Joe had started playing promptly at 8? tongue

Sandy

I know a place ....

Sandy Girl wrote:
cathysiler wrote:

I smiled all day knowing that grey ponytail was flitting around Nashville. Cathy

So Rocket, I was going to ask if you had a grey ponytail and now that Cathy has confirmed it, I/we did see you several times, just didn't know it was you.  You made enough of an impression, though, that we remembered.  My husband thought you were part of JB's crew.

. . . and what could have possibly kept you from your great seat until after Joe had started playing promptly at 8? tongue

I missed none of the show. I missed out on searching for you and others and general hobnobbing.

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

Superb Review and Post of the show, like reviews of Yore
Ain't been one like that for sometime

Nice one and thoroughly enjoyed the whole day within sentence

..................... Michael

PS ..... You Gon' Knock On My Door   ; )

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Michael wrote:

Superb Review and Post of the show, like reviews of Yore
Ain't been one like that for sometime

Nice one and thoroughly enjoyed the whole day within sentence

..................... Michael

PS ..... You Gon' Knock On My Door   ; )

It is a distinct possibility...more later this weekend.

Rocket

So, I just now joined the forum. I was wonderin' if y'all could give me some good websites to get some audio taping of Joe's show. I've seen him twice. Once in Chattanooga last year at the Tivoli and again this year in Nashville. Got to meet him after the show in Nashville and he's such a nice guy! I LOVED IT!:)

Seantyler, look above at the master torrent thread. Plenty there. Welcome to the forum.

Wow Rocket, somehow I missed that great review while riding herd on the GK's. eloquent to say the least. Thanks.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Good review Primo.  Wish I was there.   smile

MuchLove
BJJ

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Rocket wrote:

Met some really interesting folks-someone from the Gibson factory attending a repeat time with a gal wearing a Buffalo, New York sweatshirt (they had been at TPAC for Joe's last appearance, but were not attending together, but now it was natural since they run in the same circles, not only that he had actually been to my hometown even though he was a local, not a prior upstate New Yorker like she had been)

Ha!  Hey there, its Buffalo, NY gal  smile   It was great talking with you before the concert.  It sounds like you enjoyed it as much as we did.  The last time I went to TPAC to see Joe was the first time I'd ever seen him live... and I was in the waaayyy furthest seats from the stage downstairs.  It was nice to be right up front this time.   big_smile  I was excited to add the drumstuck we were given to our paraphernelia of the evening.  (My bobblehead sits on my desk with me at work. Heheheh)

Thanks for listing the songs, there were a couple that I didn't know the names to.

It never ceases to amaze me when I watch his performances.  An artist who is even better Live than in studio is a rare thing to come across these days.  Music has become so much about perfectly pitched, canned sounds that to hear a true musician perform with as much soul as Bonamassa does is a real gift. 

I can't wait for the next local show  wink

Misty_Mountain_Rose wrote:
Rocket wrote:

Met some really interesting folks-someone from the Gibson factory attending a repeat time with a gal wearing a Buffalo, New York sweatshirt (they had been at TPAC for Joe's last appearance, but were not attending together, but now it was natural since they run in the same circles, not only that he had actually been to my hometown even though he was a local, not a prior upstate New Yorker like she had been)

Ha!  Hey there, its Buffalo, NY gal  smile   It was great talking with you before the concert.  It sounds like you enjoyed it as much as we did.  The last time I went to TPAC to see Joe was the first time I'd ever seen him live... and I was in the waaayyy furthest seats from the stage downstairs.  It was nice to be right up front this time.   big_smile  I was excited to add the drumstuck we were given to our paraphernelia of the evening.  (My bobblehead sits on my desk with me at work. Heheheh)

Thanks for listing the songs, there were a couple that I didn't know the names to.

It never ceases to amaze me when I watch his performances.  An artist who is even better Live than in studio is a rare thing to come across these days.  Music has become so much about perfectly pitched, canned sounds that to hear a true musician perform with as much soul as Bonamassa does is a real gift. 

I can't wait for the next local show  wink

Hi again Ms. T. Mt. Rose!!! Sorry I forgot to mention you holding on dearly to your Joe Bonamassa Bobble Head pre-show! Glad to see you took my advice to check it out here.  You and your friend were indeed first in line to get right up front (like it was going to be a general admission bum rush instead of reserved seating!  lol) well before the show, hence I had to say hello!  So, you got one of Bogie's sticks, huh?  I saw him giving it but didn't see who it was although I thought it might be yours! Real music is alive and well, but, well, it's not going to find you these days, you got to find it...When you do, that is today's version of the GOLD record/performance-a rare and wonderful discovery! Joe Bonamassa evokes so many "Eureka"!'s from today's gold rush miners that he may be the standard.

I forgot to add to the backdoor chilled (to those who needed jackets at least, not me!) excitement that a couple of younger guys were so concerned that meeting Joe was NOT going to be enough (this was before he emerged) that they were scrounging for anything paper to get autographs.  No one had anything they weren't using themselves, so I rummaged my pockets and all I had was a few sheets of little bit wrinkled small hotel notepad paper (I had brought to write the setlist on), but they were OK and very glad with that, that is how eager they were! What a great sight and night all around.

Rocket

16 (edited by Rocket 2011-12-06 06:08:15)

Dug this one out of the archives from last year's show and posted...sorry I overlooked it!

Slow Train, from one of Bogie's last shows.  Merry Christmas Bogie wherever you are! 

Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqd7jXotHGE

Rock ON Board & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

Man, that was one smoking' show.

18 (edited by Denbon18 2011-12-09 00:42:02)

That was the show that started it all for us.....2nd row seats, met Joe, signed the Bonnaburst, met some really great people (w.Harris and family) ....will be go
ing back in May.

Bonaburst #18, JB Epi #191, MusicMan Darklord, LP Cherryburst Traditional Plus, Gigliotti GT, Takamine, Takamine 12 string, Martin D-28 & GPCPA1, Fender Amer STD Strat, Fender Custom Shop Gold Metalflake, Custom "OSU" Wagner Tele, Gibson SG Limited Govt Model, Jim Kelly Combo