Topic: Question about my Ash body Strat

I just weighed my Ash Body Strat in it clocked in at 9 1/2lbs! WTF?? My Les Paul is 9 lbs. Is this typical for an ash body Strat? I knew it was heavy. I allways hear people (like Jeff Beck) complain about the weight of LPs but my Strat heavier than a LP? Just for the record, the Strat is a 60th anniversary deluxe and it really plays beautiful. The neck is super fast. Anyone else here have a ash Strat?

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

2 (edited by Rick 2007-01-26 22:29:26)

Re: Question about my Ash body Strat

zosozep7 wrote:

I just weighed my Ash Body Strat in it clocked in at 9 1/2lbs! WTF?? My Les Paul is 9 lbs. Is this typical for an ash body Strat? I knew it was heavy. I allways hear people (like Jeff Beck) complain about the weight of LPs but my Strat heavier than a LP? Just for the record, the Strat is a 60th anniversary deluxe and it really plays beautiful. The neck is super fast. Anyone else here have a ash Strat?

Rob

It can be, I had a 50th Anniversary American Deluxe that was a boat anchor and a half
didn't way it, and didn't need to, I like em balanced, and this was too butt heavy

the one below is 7 1/2 pounds, and it's a killer

a lot of the early ash ones were very light, even under 7 pounds

http://west.poly.edu/~rconne01/R30766.jpg

and below is my Cloud 9 Les Paul, also less than 7 1/2 pounds
thats the perfect weight for me

http://west.poly.edu/~rconne01/clch006.jpg

Check out Tom  Anderson Guitarworks.
They make killer guitars, I have a Hollow Drop Top that weighs 6 1/2 lbs.
Serial # 11-07-06P-you can search all guitars built on their website.
These instruments are not cheap, but worth the money.
Mine has switching which will give you 14 different tones 5 way, pull tone to add bridge, and master splitter for 5 more sounds.
Check it out.
Yes, my Ash Strat weighed a ton.
That's why I bought a TAG!
Check out their site-it's killer!

I love heavy guitars!

if you play them standing up, just make sure you have a wider guitar strap to more evenly disperse the weight!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Ash is heavy...Swamp Ash isn't.....generally.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Thanks all for your comments! I also like heavy guitars. They seem to have a better tone in my opinion. I was just shocked though at how heavy a Strat could be! I heard many musicians over the years complain on how heavy a LP is.

Rob

My Gibson Explorer feels like a freakin coffee table is strapped on my shoulder!

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

8 (edited by zosozep7 2007-01-29 22:14:36)

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

My Gibson Explorer feels like a freakin coffee table is strapped on my shoulder!

Thats one screamin piece of wood there!! I have that 76 reissue in natural with gold hardware. All I know is when I play it, it screams. Excellent rythym guitar.

Rob

zos just sent you an email.

I have an '81 ash Strat and it's also heavy but I"ve never weighed it. Just don't use a nylon strap with it...get a nice leather strap and you should be good to go. I played a rosewood strat in a music store 20 years ago and if you'd had picked that up you'd be praying for a Les Paul or ash Strat. If you Strat doesn't have vintage bridge pieces I'd get some....I never thought a strat sounded like a classic strat if it didn't have those old style pieces...I think there's something magical about the shape and tone of 'em.

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.