Topic: The Midnight Special

Anyone out there remember this show?????  We have been getting the DVD's for a couple of months now....they are worth every penny...what a treat to see and listening will transport one back in time to more youthful days...aaahhh......I Can See Clearly Now......

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Re: The Midnight Special

Hell yeah I remember that show !   That was the first place I saw AC/DC !  Used to be a show on right afterwards with Don Kirshner.  Didn't know it was availble on DVD.  Have to check it out !

Patty, what groups have you been getting? Where do you get them? Sounds interesting.

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

We responded to an ad on Tv, on my invoice the phone number is (877)325-1907,  Burt Sugarman's,The Midnight Special.  The last two we got are 1973 and 1974.Some of the artists on the 1973 one are The Doobie Brothers,Billy Preston,T-Rex,Jim Croce,Loggins & Messina,Argent,Steely Dan, Johnny Nash,War,Edgar Winter. The  1974 one has Ike & Tina,Sly &the Family Stone,Golden Earring,Bill Withers,James Brown,Gordon Lightfoot,Gladys Knight & BB King,Aerosmith, etc...I can't find the the first one they sent, but it was packed with a bunch,too.  I recall Steve Miller Band (it was most excellent), Mamas & Papas,Aretha,Jefferson Airplane,John Denver, Marvin Gaye....you get the feeling... Each one also has comedians on it like Freddie Prinze, George Carlin, along with Wolfman Jack.  Each one is about 80 minutes long.  Everybody was young then.....and to see the fashions, we really did dress like that!  These last two were from my jr & sr year in highscool, so it was like a trip and I didn't even have to leave the farm.....:lol:    Patty

P.S.  Far-out man.

P.S.P.S.  Brett, I recall the Don Kirshner show, too.  Will have to look it up and go back down memory lane......memory bank is failing me right now on format of show........

Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Midnight Special was okay, but I preferred ABC's 'In Concert'. I remember seeing The Allman Brothers, Deep Purple, UFO, ELP, The Mahavishnu Orchestra w/John McLaughlin, the original Alice Cooper band, Black Sabbath among others. Would be very cool if they'd release those shows on DVD(The original show, not the 90's revival which sucked).

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/

Keith,  I can't recall this show at all...was it the same time period...I'll have to search on the internet to see if I can jar my memory banks.....of course there's always the possibility we didn't get it in Iowa......:lol:   sounds like it was hip-happenin'

Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Okay, just did some checking out  Don Kirshner show was from 1973-1981 and In Concert was 1991-1998.  Okay, saw band name on Kirshner site I hadn't thought of in awhile....went off to college campus in Missouri when I was in highschool to see them...Black Oak Arkansas...oh yes, Jim Dandy to the rescue.....I recall quite vividly him strutting around the stage bareback with that long hair and very, very tight leather pants.....Hot N' Nasty.....

Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Yeah there were 2 runs of the show In Concert. The first, originally aired around 71-74 I believe, was produced by Don Kirshner and the Alice Cooper Group were on the first show. Great shows, including a Deep Purple Cal Jam show in '74, where Ritchie Blackmore trashed the equipment and attacked the camera, which was recently released on DVD. They had a whole Cal Jam special with Mahoghany Rush, Aerosmith(who sucked, bad, bad performance!) ELP and others. They revived it under just the name 'In Concert' in the 90's but it wasn't the same. But, what was? wink Don Kirshner also had a syndicated 'Don Kirshner's Rock Concert' which in a lot of markets aired after 'Midnight Special' but 'In Concert' was better in my opinion, although 'Rock Concert' had its moments...confused yet? tongue

I also remember a show called the Blue Jean Network or something like that. I remember seeing April Wine, Molly Hatchet, Quiet Riot. I remember April Wine kickin some arse! Molly Hatchet had 3 lead guitarists that blew my mind away. Anyone else remember this show because I might have gotten the groups mixed up with another show. BJN was on if I recall in the late 70s or early 80s.

Rob

I remember the first In Concert.  It was on Friday night @ 11:30 pm.  Fantastic show.

In Concert was the best of the late night music shows as it was real live stuff, no canned or lipsync stuff. I'm refering to the earlier run in the early 70's. Never heard of Blue Jean Network Rob, maybe it was more regional or syndicated only. I do remember seeing a live show over in San Rafael one night about the mid 70's with Molly Hatchet & The Outlaws with all the original members and all those southern rockin' guitars!!!

P.S. The Outlaws are back together and touring with Charlie Daniels & Marshall Tucker on the Volunteer Jam 2007 this summer.

J Dawg

"What song is it you wanna hear"          .........Ronnie Van Zant

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

12 (edited by Michael 2007-01-25 14:58:58)

ZOSOZEP and OHIODAWG ............ Some truly great bands mentioned there , god i remember April wine some really classic tunes they released
                                                    with a clean crisp guitar sound , they were very good

THE OUTLAWS ............... WELL .   They are Still one of MY Favourite bands of ALL TIME (HONEST) I mean GREEN GRASS & HIGH TIDES ............
... FROM THE "BRING IT BACK ALIVE" Album IS ( AND I MUST INSIST ALL GUITAR/ROCK FANS)  You gotta HEAR THIS , its absolutely AWESOME
A 3 PRONGED AXE FEST 20 + MINUTES OF CHOPS , RIFFING & SOLOING LIKE YOU,VE NEVER HEARD , WITHOUT A DOUBT
ITS IN THE "STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN , FREEBIRD , LIKE A HURRICANE , SWEET CHILD O' MINE , LITTLE WING " ANYONE HELP ME OUT HERE
YOU KNOW THE SUPER LEAGUE OF ROCK SONGS , Well Green grass & high tides will always be in there

WARNING : IF YOU DON'T  HAVE................. YOU MUST GET

ROCK ON    cool

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Michael and anybody else who's interested you can find out what The Outlaws are up to by going to www.outlawsworld.com

J Dawg

"Yippee yae yeah yippee yae yo ghost riders in the sky"

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Whats up Dawg!!! How are ya?
Michael Lynch,As far as the Outlaws goes, Green Grass and High Tides is one spectacular tune. I have the cd and listen to it often. I was turned on to that song back in the late 70s or early eighties by my Uncle that passed away just recently. I also would rate that soing up there with Stairway and Freebird.

Rob

I was channel surfing last night and stumbled upon the info-mercial for the Mid. Nt. Spec. DVD's. The phone # is 1-800-735-6431, or www.midnightspecial.com to order on-line. Their add claims it's all live, no lip-syncing. I can't resist, I'm gonna at least try out the intro DVD.

Think Green,

J Dawg

zosozep7 wrote:

Whats up Dawg!!! How are ya?
Michael Lynch,As far as the Outlaws goes, Green Grass and High Tides is one spectacular tune. I have the cd and listen to it often. I was turned on to that song back in the late 70s or early eighties by my Uncle that passed away just recently. I also would rate that soing up there with Stairway and Freebird.

Rob

Great song! I remember seeing them on the 'Ghost Riders' tour in '82 I believe, and they jammed on that for around 40 minutes. Amazing!