Topic: Anyone looking for a Joe look-alike Les Paul

I stumbled across this one at a store near where I work
looks like the same pattern of Joe's

http://rockitmusic.com/Gibson_LPPrem.asp

Re: Anyone looking for a Joe look-alike Les Paul

What I wanna know is what makes that guitar worth $4,000. Is it handmade?

yah, I know, that is Gibsons "List" price

you can get it for about half that

My Les Paul is Ice Tea with a 50's neck.....that's a coincidence isn't it wink

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Americans need to get paid...combine that with the Gibson name, top quality woods and electronics - all of the sudden 4Gs doesn't sound too bad.

Although I will say this:  it seems more people in the 60's & 70's could afford Gibsons and Fenders. Even though they made less money an hour, and prices of the guitars were not as much. I would say that the proportion of cost has a larger margin these days than compared to thrity years ago. Its not only harder to make more money, but harder to buy a house; and more importantly guitars!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

David wrote:

What I wanna know is what makes that guitar worth $4,000. Is it handmade?

The Logo. And people's willingness to pay for it.

You can get an equal or superior guitar for a fraction of the price. It just won't have the same "cache" as the one your hero plays.

Guitars are just tools. Each one a little different. Having the same logo as your hero doesn't make you a better player. It's what you do with your hands AND EARS that counts.

Don't break the bank. Take a loved one on vacation instead. It'll be worth more to you at the end of the game.

Cheers,

db

That's a production Les Paul..Joe Plays Custom Shop Historics, The one you see him with the most is a '01 Gibson Historic '58 RI CA in Butterscotch. All the New R8's are plaintops..if you want a Historic now with flame you got to get either a R9 or R0.

When I went from a Production Les Paul to  Historic there was a HUGE difference in tone, neck feel, vibe, everything about the guitar. Well worth the money.

Most of the guys I've ever heard compalin about Gibson quality, or say they are not worth it have never played or owned a Historic, or simply can't afford one. I've been playing almost 30yrs, and I can tell you they are the best guitars made today. Period.

A best guitar made today made to be a guitar made years ago means the best guitars aren't being built today by definition  ; ) That's one thing I will agree on when it comes to rare electric guitars being so damnably expensive (albeit still overpriced)

bluesbishop wrote:

Most of the guys I've ever heard compalin about Gibson quality, or say they are not worth it have never played or owned a Historic, or simply can't afford one. I've been playing almost 30yrs, and I can tell you they are the best guitars made today. Period.

Absolutly right bluesbishop!  I own a 2001 '58 Historic Reissue (Butterscotch flame -top).  It is an amazing instrument -it just hums and resonates with every note I play!  So much nicer than most of the Gibson USA models (though I'm sure there are some gems out there!).
There are still some good deals on these (new and used) out there -
the used '57 used gold top Historic Les Pauls are still one of the best deals around (in my opinion).

Russ B.