Topic: Joe B Business Cards

In the past there used to be small promotional cards that were handed out at shows and given away at the merch table. One of the things besides promoting the current release it also promoted the website. One problem with them unless someone got one signed by Joe they probably ended up in the trash.

How about a Joe B business card sized promo card. It could have the web address on it as well as album art whatever. They could be available at the shows as well as requested by the Street Team for handing out. easly slipped into a wallet or purse. Most people keep business cards.

What do you think? Somebody check with the Boss.

jim m

Re: Joe B Business Cards

I personally like the idea of having a business card- people do tend to hang onto those more often than not.  I know I have multiple business cards in my wallet that I do not even need.  That would be a great way to get the word out about Joe.

Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Jim, Jane and others I think that would be great to have a business card size type of promo to give away, either at the door or the merchandise table.  It is not a big investment to print up a bunch to hand out.  Something like that could come from the street team but it would be great if Joe/management/PR rep could come up with something like this.  Believe it would go along way.  We would be willing to hand at the door too.  Anything to help...

Music is good for the Soul...

4 (edited by A.J. 2006-05-19 15:50:50)

I love this idea.

Bill S. and I here in Illinois had emailed each other about this same thing last year, he had this same idea, too. 

I had an idea for a card that had the album art of each of his albums going across the top of the card, with the necessary info on the bottom, as well as a place for Street teamers or Street team Coordinators to put their name and email if they chose to to so..

As it is now, I have little index cards made up with Joe's info, web address etc. with the names of his albums and DVDs that I give out to people when they ask about him. Sometimes I also add concert dates if I know he is going to be in the area- I hope this idea picks up, I agree with Jane that handing these things out gets to more people than just having them on the merch table-

Great idea, Jim. And the bonus to that is it's easy to hand to a talent buyer.

I know it's much better than handing them a handwritten piece of paper.

The blues isn't about a look or a specific sound, the blues is something deep within. But the sound doesn't hurt things, you know? ~ Ben Hernandez

well i do promo for another german group ,too. i hand out sticker . on the back of the sticker there is the album and the adress of the hp. i think that's a very good idea. wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3TTKfPzkN0  BCC - Song of yesterday live !

Excellent idea. I too had similar thoughts after receiving an email advertisement from Vistaprint, a printing company who offers free business cards (you pay only shipping). They offer this service in exchange for a small advertisement for their company which appears on the back of the free cards, but you can also pay extra and have their ad removed.

They offer a number of different styles, and you can design your card right on the website and view it as you put it together. I must have tried 15 or 20 designs but never could come up with one I really liked enough to post as a suggested or recommended design for the Street Team - but I guess there's nothing saying they have to uniform, either.

Their website is http://www.vistaprint.com and then click on the "Free Business Cards" link under the business card heading on the left side of the page. From there you can select your background and design your card.

If everyone wants to do their own business cards as part of the Street Team, all we need to do is figure out what information we want on them. Do we want them to be like a typical personal business card that shows "The Joe Bonamassa Street Team" instead of a company name, followed by Joe's website URL and then each person's invividual name and contact info, or a more generic "Joe Bonamassa" advertisement with his website info and maybe a very abbreviated bio? After we decide, I think we should get the OK from Joe and Management on the text we are putting on them, because we will be distributing a promotinal item with Joe's name on it that will appear to be "official" in nature...(I'm just thinking outloud here). For example, I don't know if Premier would want their phone # on them. Anyway I do tend to favor  the personal business card angle, as I think it more accurately reflects how our passion for Joe's music has motivated us to spread the word.

Anyway Jim great idea. Would you like to spearhead this, and take it to the point where we can add it to the list of Street Team, "Programs and Ideas" on the Fan Website? Or if nothing else moderate our discussions of the topic here and kind of guide things along until we get this done?

Stu Craig wrote:

For example, I don't know if Premier would want their phone # on them. Anyway I do tend to favor  the personal business card angle, as I think it more accurately reflects how our passion for Joe's music has motivated us to spread the word.

I think a generic card would work, with the url.  I think (IMHO) Roy and Faye would go crazy if their numbers were on the card, being overwhelmed with calls.  Perhaps, a card with Premiers info, just for the club talent buyers.  A generic card for "mass fan handouts".

All in all it is a great idea.  I prefer this to extra flyers being handed out at the venue.  Most folks will get the flyer signed and not purchase any merch.  Where as you hand them a business card that directs them to the web site, they might be inclined to buy from here.  The business card could be signed, but most likely not.

WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE~~~JIMI HENDRIX

This is a fabulous idea!!!  I was in a situation last night, where I could have used a couple of cards just like this, but ended up exchanging e-mails on scraps of paper.

We went to see Johnny A in a very small cofeehouse.  We had to stand outside in line until they were done their soundcheck etc. and so we were mingling.  Long story short, we met a bunch of nice people and are talking music, who has seen who at the Dallas guitar shows, guitars, where everyone first heard of Johnny A, etc. etc  and one of the ladies starts talking about this young boy who plays unbelievable harmonica that she saw on TV.  It turns out to be LD Miller...she never heard of Joe Bonamassa...she's asking me how to spell it and I take off my sweater and show her my Blues Deluxe tank top...You had to be there, but for some reason all the guys thought I was going to do a New Orleans move without the beads...one track mind men have, I was just showing her the name on my shirt!!! 

Great idea for the business card!!!  I agree with leaving management's phone# off. Website, music links, yes...The stickers are a great idea also, but cost more money I'm sure.  I've received them in music stores as promotions.  Stu, those stickers I sent you that time, I picked them up in an independent record store, they stuff them in your bag at the counter along with your purchase.

P.S. Jim- Johnny A says hi!  What a guitar player...what a great night...there may have been 50-60 people there tops, which could lead me into another story...

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Stu Craig wrote:

Anyway Jim great idea. Would you like to spearhead this, and take it to the point where we can add it to the list of Street Team, "Programs and Ideas" on the Fan Website? Or if nothing else moderate our discussions of the topic here and kind of guide things along until we get this done?

Stu,
Yes I can see what I can do on the official side. I personally think it should have basic info like the web address and the proper spelling of Joe's name. Maybe artwork from You and Me. If it had generic information like Bookings: William Morris agency, Management: Premier Artists with out anymore specific info than that buyers know how to contact with out being given specific phone numbers.

I'm not opposed to having a Street Team version of the card that coordinators have their contact info on. I was talking about something to hand to anyone that appears to want to learn more about Joe. This website has all you need to know. For those that don't have internet access just knowing how to spell his name when they walk into a record store helps.

jim m

Angela wrote:

We went to see Johnny A in a very small cofeehouse.  ..

Angela,
What did you think of Johnny? Some people here think he is a bit on the mellow side. You know not exactly Pat Travers, but he can shred when he wants to.

jim m

jim m wrote:
Stu Craig wrote:

Yes I can see what I can do on the official side. I personally think it should have basic info like the web address and the proper spelling of Joe's name. Maybe artwork from You and Me. If it had generic information like Bookings: William Morris agency, Management: Premier Artists with out anymore specific info than that buyers know how to contact with out being given specific phone numbers.

jim m

Jim, what you suggested is what I think would work best, something official from Joe.  Should be real easy to do and get some good results.  Let me know if there is anything we can do.

Music is good for the Soul...

jim m wrote:
Angela wrote:

We went to see Johnny A in a very small cofeehouse.  ..

Angela,
What did you think of Johnny? Some people here think he is a bit on the mellow side. You know not exactly Pat Travers, but he can shred when he wants to.

jim m

Jim,

I think Johnny A is amazing! He has a really unique and eclectic way of blending jazz, rock & other genres and making 'Jeff Beck and Chet Atkins collide and concur'.  We were within five feet of him, which was a very different experience than seeing him be the warm-up for B.B. King about a year ago.  I watched his hands and his feet on his pedal board; he is a highly skilled guitarist. I like all kinds of music, so I can appreciate his style in a 3 piece band with no vocals. I also think he is a very talented composer and he covers Hendrix well and went into Deep Purple's Smoke On the Water and Led's Whole Lotta Love, which was sweet.

I think I have a soft spot for up and coming musicians, although Johnny has been around for a bit.  I was totally blown away by the fact that Johnny was embraced by Gibson Guitar in 2003 and has a signature Johnny A guitar, 2 music books for both CD's and he's playing in a coffeehouse that holds 92 people and didn't sell out the first show!!! Personally we benefited from the small venue, but I always wonder how one survives financially.

Johnny had some kind words for Joe...and I told him he needed a street team...Anthony might take on a new hobby, he's hooked on him.

My next street team goal is to get Joe played on WXPN, which owns the World Cafe.  People in line heard of Johnny on WXPN. Not too long ago they had Derek Trucks on as a guest in the studio, Bonnie Raiit also.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Jim- I think it's great that you brought this up here. I have thought about the value of business type cards for some time now. As I've spread the word about Joe to friends and anyone else willing to listen, there have been lots of times where I've written  Joe's name/web address on a slip of paper. Handing out a well designed card would be great from a promotional viewpoint.
My personal opinion is that these should be consistent as opposed to multiple designs (unless there was one for general use and one for street teamers) AND, as someone said, that they should be approved by Joe or Joe's management.
Lastly, to quote Mies Van Der Rohe: "less is more", so IMHO I think a simple logo/picture/album cover/whatever with Joe's name and website address would be enough. Most everything else could be found on the website.
Those are my thoughts, for what they're worth.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

I like the "less is more" idea, too, now that I've thought about it...

Also, instead of Street Team cards, maybe we could just put Joe's website address and Stu's fansite address, with the link to the Street Team Coordiantor page.  All of the info people need is on these two websites.

A nice photo, or logo, or picture of his gold strat or something, with his name under it and the website addresses- simple and to the point.

I like the idea too! Business cards are always at hand...
And perhaps as an addition some plectrums with the web address? My brother suggested it while I wrote.
Though perhaps plectrums would cost too much... anyway, I like the idea of the tour dates on it!

Peace and Love!

Good idea with the business cards/ flyers , i'll shoot the idea to Management and see what happens,

18 (edited by Rocket 2006-05-24 20:27:30)

I really like this idea Jim and hope some kind of endorsement comes down..I know I like to hang onto cards and get them into the Act! (awesome contact software that beats the heck outta Rolodexes including electronic ones on the desktop and is PDA/Palm friendly) database...I think booking info at least Wm. Morris Agency (they are so common) couldn't hurt....If you put a coupla slots in it you could put a pick with the info on too (ok laugh and say it's silly)!

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket
p.s. Jim I see Johnny A is playing Northampton Iron Horse the night before Joe and is recording live during his 2 shows...I hope he somehow sticks around for a day and they both get up there together.  Anyone going to both (Johhny A and Joe) shows?!

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”