1 (edited by leekim 2007-01-05 05:34:44)

Topic: How do you record at home?

Hello to all forumers reading this post!

I have a few questions about home recording (hard disk).
I currently plug directly into my pcs's soundcard and I work with magix music maker. Drum beats I do get from NI Battery and edit them in the Midi Editor. Vocals, also directly with my dynamic micro into the soundcard. It is just a usual Penthium 4 pc with a normal soundcard device- nothing special but the results are okay.

Anyway, for 2007 I would like to improve a little bit - step by step of course.

Why shall I buy a USB adio / midi interface? Does this improve the overall sound quality? I thought about buying the Line6 Toneport...

Furthermore, Magix is cool to record on the fly, but what should I get to have more professional options. Steinberg's Cubase 4, maybe? Ableton Live, which I heard is very complicated?

If I want to have a nice choice of bass sounds, maybe some piano and strings, what would you suggest?

Magix doesn't do any good with VST plug ins...

As you might see, I just want a nice little set up for my home to be able to preproduce or even to produce some nice demos.

Hopefully this post is okay for my first post.......

Re: How do you record at home?

Welcome leekim,   I'm like Jane...don't know the answers to your questions, but WELCOME to the wonderful world of Joe Forum, bet there will be plenty of great answers to your questions...there's a great bunch of "Joe-Heads" on this site.  Patty smile

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

3 (edited by gsj 2007-01-05 09:28:28)

Hi Leekim and welcome. I record at home (demos for the band) but computers confuse the hell out of me. Might not be what you want to hear but have you checked out the range of Boss hard-disc digital recorders. They're 'guitarist friendly' with onboard effects and amp sims plus excellent programmable drum patterns, some with Discrete Drums software . Very much a plug-in-and-go unit. I use a BR1180CD which is now discontinued but the new models are good too with CD quality recordings. (I sound like I work for Roland/Boss don't I ! roll )

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Hey thanks for the nice answers!

I feel good having finally registered here.

Lee

I use the cheapest version of Pro Tools Pro Tools LE. I have the 002 Rack as the interface. Its easy to use and you can take the session files that you have done to any studio that runs Pro Tools and it will load straight back up on their computer exactly how you had it. Theres also lots of plug ins and effects that you can buy to improve the program. You actually get 10 free plug ins when you buy it, thinks like really good EQs and reverbs etc.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

I run ProTools as well (Mix Plus TDM) and it's how I did my album.  We recorded here and then it went to LA for mixing.  ProTools Mbox is a great way to get into the ProTools and get you going.  I personally run a MOTU MIDI Express and Kurzweil and ProTeus 2K as MIDI audio/devices.  I use a cheap MIDI keyboard to do input, then use ProTools to do any MIDI Editing I need to.  As far as mics, if you get the mbox it'll give you a basic mic pre.  I run a Great River MP-2NV at this point for most mic work.

Good luck.

wood,
Keep us informed about the album.

It's out, I just ran out of copies of it.  We're talking small time production here. smile

Garageband on my Macintosh lets me plug my guitar right into my computer. although its not the most latency free (delay) thing ive ever done, it was ungodly cheap to do.  Getting an interface does a better job.  I was looking at the Spike or anything by M-Audio. The Line 6 doesnt sound bad either. I guess it matters how serious you are vs how much you want to spend

right now I am recording riffs and trying to combine and come up with some songs. nothing very big. but once I have some scratch songs, i may put more money into my setup

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Garageband on my Macintosh lets me plug my guitar right into my computer. although its not the most latency free (delay) thing ive ever done, it was ungodly cheap to do.  Getting an interface does a better job.  I was looking at the Spike or anything by M-Audio. The Line 6 doesnt sound bad either. I guess it matters how serious you are vs how much you want to spend

right now I am recording riffs and trying to combine and come up with some songs. nothing very big. but once I have some scratch songs, i may put more money into my setup

I have just ordered the Line6 Toneport. I will keep the Magix software for first. As soon as I have recorded some stuff I will post it....

Last night was writing a new song and here was the chain.  Les Paul > Lovepedal Purple Plexi > Divided by 13 SJT 10/20 > AT 4033 > Great River MP-2NV > 888/24 I/O (ProTools).  Sounded huge!  Can't wait to do the next album.  Very lucky to have the gear I have.  When I record this stuff for real I put another amp on the other side so recording in stereo, get two different type amps 6V6 and EL34 and the amp responds differently (along with having different circuits)

[quote=leekim

I have just ordered the Line6 Toneport. I will keep the Magix software for first. As soon as I have recorded some stuff I will post it....

sweet let me know how it works out!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool