Re: Gary Moore @ Charlotte Street Blues 6th April 2010

nice performance. strange that there was no reverb.

thanks so much for the superb video - great work!

As for the tone - well I think he is getting a bit of unfair critiscm. Sure it might not have been the best ever but he still sounded pretty darn good to me - I wish I could have a tone that bad lol. Yeah his tone hasn't been quite up to his highest standards in recent years but then you have to consider that his early 90s tone was probably one of the greatest ever created!

As for him being a bit of a knobend - well I don't know him so can't judge - that said he does often come across as one haha

'A ROBIN REDBREAST IN A CAGE SETS ALL OF HEAVEN IN A RAGE' - William Blake

I'm pretty sure the amp was a 100w Super Lead - no idea what vintage. Couldn't see the pedals, wasn't interested enough to go and look (most unusual for a pedal geek like me... but why would I want to know how to make a racket like that?). During the sound check Mr Moore sent for two more heads which were eventually delivered to the venue - sound check went on for a long time! I absolutely agree that he used to have a blues rock tone to die for, he didn't on Tuesday! Bearing in mind the length of the sound check, it was a little hard to believe how unbalanced the sound was for the first couple of numbers.

May I also say, irrespective of how 'orrible the tone was (my opinion), I really enjoyed the performance. I was not surprised there was no encore - too much of a pain in the arse to get back to the stage, Parisienne walkways felt like an encore anyway.

Finally, try this on for size...

One photographer taking A LOT of photographs on a digital SLR with a LARGE flash, for at least a couple of songs - eventually just waving the whole thing above his head and firing the flash repeatedly - it was pissing me off and I wasn't getting it in the face (yes this was NOT a camera phone thing). Gary has a (very brief) word with him and someone else. Everything stops. End of story...? Something smelled about it - was the guy with SLR finished getting his photos and just trying to piss Mr Moore off? Or.... was he a plant so that Mr Moore could have a reason to get pissed off? Or was he just a twat?

If I ever get the chance to see Gary Moore, and I hope he makes it over to the USA some time, I would be extremely aggravated if some photographer gets out of line.  It is not rocket science. If Gary doesn't want to be photographed, then don't photograph him.  The man is one of the best ever in my book, and he plays with a ton of emotion.  The last thing I would want is some idiot that can't follow simple rules taking Gary off of his game.  I would prefer a considerate crowd that let's Gary play his best.  From what I have seen on videos, he gives it everything he has in his performances.  He is probably exhausted afterward.

downbytheriver wrote:

I'm pretty sure the amp was a 100w Super Lead - no idea what vintage. Couldn't see the pedals, wasn't interested enough to go and look (most unusual for a pedal geek like me... but why would I want to know how to make a racket like that?). During the sound check Mr Moore sent for two more heads which were eventually delivered to the venue - sound check went on for a long time! I absolutely agree that he used to have a blues rock tone to die for, he didn't on Tuesday! Bearing in mind the length of the sound check, it was a little hard to believe how unbalanced the sound was for the first couple of numbers.

May I also say, irrespective of how 'orrible the tone was (my opinion), I really enjoyed the performance. I was not surprised there was no encore - too much of a pain in the arse to get back to the stage, Parisienne walkways felt like an encore anyway.

Finally, try this on for size...

One photographer taking A LOT of photographs on a digital SLR with a LARGE flash, for at least a couple of songs - eventually just waving the whole thing above his head and firing the flash repeatedly - it was pissing me off and I wasn't getting it in the face (yes this was NOT a camera phone thing). Gary has a (very brief) word with him and someone else. Everything stops. End of story...? Something smelled about it - was the guy with SLR finished getting his photos and just trying to piss Mr Moore off? Or.... was he a plant so that Mr Moore could have a reason to get pissed off? Or was he just a twat?

Never mind the conspiracy theories there were plenty of t*&^%ts there, mostly down the front standing right in front of me. 
The videos are excellent, thank you for doing those... look at PW you can see two bald heads one with spectacles on who were deliberately 'bopping' right across my view the whole time because I wasn't a bloke, so I didn't deserve to be there in the mosh pit now did I.
I considered trying to get a better view by asking nicely if I could move forward to where I could see properly, but decided I wouldn't be received graciously as a little woman. 
Anyway, I didn't really want to be looking up Gary's nose or weirding him out, nor conspicuously appearing on you-tube videos so decided to stay in the shadows  wink

Here is my review of the show...

Gary played beautifully but...

The set list as it should have been...IMHO... smile

1 Enough of The Blues
2 You Upset Me Baby
3 Bad For You baby
4 Cold Day In Hell
5 Cold Black Night
6 You Know My Love
7 Have You Heard
8 Hard Times
9 Merry Go Round
10 Need Your Love So Bad
ENCORE
11 Parisienne Walkways
12 Evenin’

TO LOVE IS TO LISTEN TO LISTEN IS TO LOVE

78 (edited by Wooders 2010-04-12 00:12:03)

downbytheriver wrote:

Something smelled about it - was the guy with SLR finished getting his photos and just trying to piss Mr Moore off? Or.... was he a plant so that Mr Moore could have a reason to get pissed off? Or was he just a twat?

Undobtedly the latter, imo.  roll At a range of only 6 feet or so from the stage and with a DSLR (although it looked to me to be an early type), he ought to have been able to take pics without a flash.

JESSICAT wrote:

look at PW you can see two bald heads one with spectacles on who were deliberately 'bopping' right across my view the whole time because I wasn't a bloke, so I didn't deserve to be there in the mosh pit now did I.
I considered trying to get a better view by asking nicely if I could move forward to where I could see properly, but decided I wouldn't be received graciously as a little woman.

I'd hardly call it a mosh pit and I doubt very much that your gender would make any difference to someone who's probably had a skinful, Jessica. I've had similar happen to me with ladies getting out of control with their dancing. hmm

Anyway, here are the pics that Pete and I took (Pete's kindly allowed me to post his (thank you, Pete) - I think you'll be able to tell which ones were taken with a Nikon  lol  although the one of Pete and David with my little Fuji's not bad). The one of the Firebird has had to be doctored and is shown for Tripod's benefit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wooders_pi … 8466/show/

I thought it was a great night.  smile

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

JESSICAT wrote:
jeffcope wrote:

A great show last night. Loved the venue, first time there. Someone at the front with a camera
got the verbals from Mr Moore. I won't repeat it on this forum.

One draw back was the pratt of a woman at the bar who kept standing on her stool. I would
personally remove all barstools when there is such a large crowd.

But as I said, I thouroughly enjoyed it, and look forward to going back to CSB again.

Hope other forum members had a good time.

Where were you lot stood?  I didn't see any woman on a stool! I saw two groups of men who could have been from the forum.  One sitting on the seats on the far left of the stage and the other stood in the middle singing along to Joe's songs before the action started!
I was sitting on a bar stool at the bottom of the stairs, minded by Gary's management and a couple of other guys  wink

Jessica

Two points. One of the guys who got the mouthful was a Bona fan - my mate Alun - he only had a camera phone so I think the main abuse was for the other guy. However I won't let Alun forget he is a ****. Also I think I was the guy you saw singing along to the Bona tracks before the gig in the centre near the front. Maybe the fact the music was Bona when he took the stage did not put Gary in the best frame of mind.

As for the gig - great to see Gary that close but I agree his tone is not what it used to be. At least he turned up this time the last small venue we went to see him at (Forum Camden Town) therewas an "illness" in the band - yeh right.

Next stop Hammersmith Odeon.

Colin

valleyboy wrote:
JESSICAT wrote:
jeffcope wrote:

A great show last night. Loved the venue, first time there. Someone at the front with a camera
got the verbals from Mr Moore. I won't repeat it on this forum.

One draw back was the pratt of a woman at the bar who kept standing on her stool. I would
personally remove all barstools when there is such a large crowd.

But as I said, I thouroughly enjoyed it, and look forward to going back to CSB again.

Hope other forum members had a good time.

Where were you lot stood?  I didn't see any woman on a stool! I saw two groups of men who could have been from the forum.  One sitting on the seats on the far left of the stage and the other stood in the middle singing along to Joe's songs before the action started!
I was sitting on a bar stool at the bottom of the stairs, minded by Gary's management and a couple of other guys  wink

Jessicat

Two points. One of the guys who got the mouthful was a Bona fan - my mate Alun - he only had a camera phone so I think the main abuse was for the other guy. However I won't let Alun forget he is a ****. Also I think I was the guy you saw singing along to the Bona tracks before the gig in the centre near the front. Maybe the fact the music was Bona when he took the stage did not put Gary in the best frame of mind.

As for the gig - great to see Gary that close but I agree his tone is not what it used to be. At least he turned up this time the last small venue we went to see him at (Forum Camden Town) therewas an "illness" in the band - yeh right.

Next stop Hammersmith Odeon.

Colin

compare gary's tone in that "oh pretty woman" video... with this one from the original video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6oDdgrbmeE

nothing can compare to the bluesbreaker+guv'nor

eldo56 wrote:

haha - small world Jessicat - I could well have been the lanky old git stood right in front of you!!!! (dark blue polo shirt and jeans) - Pete the Cabby, Wooders and Curryman were halfway up the stairs - that guy with Gary (short white hair) said to me that he had been working with Gary for 20 years and he was very unpredictable, hence no encore...................

Hi folks re ...
"he had been working with Gary for 20 years and he was very unpredictable, hence no encore"

Watch this little gem from about 3:30...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COe4n4Py5qU

I feel sorry for all you guys without the short skirt and the push up bra (and for the nicely dressed young lady who clearly gets the brush off)...who just want an encore and to shake Gary's hand or even slap him on the shoulder... or just to be acknowledged as a human being would be nice !! MEOW

Jess, you must admit with that push up right in front of him the whole night, a closer look was warranted...... tongue  lol

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

mikeb wrote:

Jess, you must admit with that push up right in front of him the whole night, a closer look was warranted...... tongue  lol

Mike, I find that comment genuinely funny as a woman with tits and an arse which I have had many opportunities to shuv in Gary's face over the past 36 years. Not least with CSB.

I've always tried to give Gary the benefit of the doubt on this one and not be so insulting to his intelligence, nor the rights of men who haven't that advantage over him.

Maybe that's where I went wrong  lol  lol  lol

I'm in sympathy with those who just want him to behave like anything but an arsehole! Particularly his wife Jo.

JESSICAT wrote:
mikeb wrote:

Mike, I find that comment genuinely funny as a woman with tits and an arse which I have had many opportunities to shuv in Gary's face over the past 36 years. Not least with CSB.

I've always tried to give Gary the benefit of the doubt on this one and not be so insulting to his intelligence, nor the rights of men who haven't that advantage over him.

I'm in sympathy with those who just want him to behave like anything but an arsehole! Particularly his wife Jo.

lol  lol  lol
Now that is funny. Finally, we all know what it takes to put Gary into a good mood. You can't blame him really, can you? Who wouldn't prefer a nice pair of bristols over some hecklers or some annoying photographer?

Bluesbreaker wrote:
JESSICAT wrote:
mikeb wrote:

lol  lol  lol
Now that is funny. Finally, we all know what it takes to put Gary into a good mood. You can't blame him really, can you? Who wouldn't prefer a nice pair of bristols over some hecklers or some annoying photographer?

Oh come on..."a nice pair of bristols"?..look again! Squashed tits of no particular interest.  Fat tree-trunk legs?  The guy must be desperate!... No self respecting woman would throw herself at a fat old misogynist git like Gary...
However, IMHO he is, always has been and always will be a fantastic musician  wink

You, JESSICAT, are a woman after my own heart. ROCK ON!  cool  cool  cool
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

...next time you go to a Gary gig... if you see a man on a stall outside selling roses and silicone implants... pop over and say Hi!... discount for Bonamites!   neutral

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Pete The Cabby wrote:

...next time you go to a Gary gig... if you see a man on a stall outside selling roses and silicone implants... pop over and say Hi!... discount for Bonamites!   neutral

The secret is revealed, the way to a man's heart.... big_smile

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

JESSICAT wrote:
Bluesbreaker wrote:
JESSICAT wrote:

lol  lol  lol

Oh come on..."a nice pair of bristols"?..look again! Squashed tits of no particular interest.  Fat tree-trunk legs?  The guy must be desperate!... No self respecting woman would throw herself at a fat old misogynist git like Gary...
However, IMHO he is, always has been and always will be a fantastic musician  wink

Ok, a nice pair of squashed bristols then. I wouldn't call her legs fat nor tree-trunk like but never mind, I see your point.
There's certainly no argument over the quality of Gary's guitar playing.