Re: Gary Moore @ Charlotte Street Blues 6th April 2010

Greenose wrote:
mikeb wrote:
downbytheriver wrote:

Firebird for the first couple, then the same Les Paul all the way through to the end of Still Got The Blues. Different Les Paul (flamier top) for the last 2 numbers - the tone he got with Les Paul he used for most of the set was, in my never very humble opinion, horrible - markedly improved for the last two.

Therefore not the amp but the Paul/PUP combination???

That's quite a modest change over in guitars for Gary, I'm surprised!  smile

There wasn't much room on that stage for masses of guitars! Yes, I guess it was the guitar not the amp - there was definitely only one amp! Still, he stuck with it for a long time so I suspect his opinion differed from mine...

56 (edited by eldo56 2010-04-08 07:54:22)

haha - small world Jessicat - I could well have been the lanky old git stood right in front of you!!!! (dark blue polo shirt and jeans) - Pete the Cabby, Wooders and Curryman were halfway up the stairs - that guy with Gary (short white hair) said to me that he had been working with Gary for 20 years and he was very unpredictable, hence no encore...................

Pete The Cabby wrote:

...here ya go Eldo... just for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xRi4DMgPUw

Great stuff Pete - keep 'em coming..............

eldo56 wrote:

haha - small world Jessicat - I could well have been the lanky old git stood right in front of you!!!! (dark blue polo shirt and jeans) - Pete the Cabby, Wooders and Curryman were halfway up the stairs - that guy with Gary (short white hair) said to me that he had been working with Gary for 20 years and he was very unpredictable, hence no encore...................

Oh! so the JB forum reps were right behind me on the stairs then?  I do remember seeing people there, thought it was a good vantage point but there wasn't a spare step when I got there!  I wish I'd known that I would have said hello... Are you very tall eldo?  I do remember a large person standing to my right.  I have long dark hair (curly) and was wearing a black lacy top. 
I got off my stool and went to stand in a gap nearer the front half way through as I couldn't see very well.  Only trouble it turned out to be some other large bloke's space who had gone to the bar for a beer, so when he came back he and his mate were stood in front of me and I still couldn't see very well!  sad   I could hear though  smile
I decided from the sign language that once Gary left the stage he wouldn't come back on and I had a train to catch so risked it and left.  My review of the gig is on the Lord of the Strings forum.   Looks like I was the only person from that forum who went.  A lot of the folks on there are from abroad.

TO LOVE IS TO LISTEN TO LISTEN IS TO LOVE

JESSICAT wrote:
eldo56 wrote:

Oh! so the JB forum reps were right behind me on the stairs then?  I do remember seeing people there, thought it was a good vantage point but there wasn't a spare step when I got there!  I wish I'd known that I would have said hello... Are you very tall eldo?  I do remember a large person standing to my right.  I have long dark hair (curly) and was wearing a black lacy top. 
I got off my stool and went to stand in a gap nearer the front half way through as I couldn't see very well.  Only trouble it turned out to be some other large bloke's space who had gone to the bar for a beer, so when he came back he and his mate were stood in front of me and I still couldn't see very well!  sad   I could hear though  smile
I decided from the sign language that once Gary left the stage he wouldn't come back on and I had a train to catch so risked it and left.  My review of the gig is on the Lord of the Strings forum.   Looks like I was the only person from that forum who went.  A lot of the folks on there are from abroad.

Yes, I am that tall bloke - I recall you sitting on that stool and thinking that you couldn't possibly see - I remember you moved into the centre and another girl took to the stool - you should have pushed through to the front like some others did - Lord of the Strings forum??? - all sounds a bit mystic to me........

60 (edited by Tripod 2010-04-08 10:13:41)

Gary has been sounding bad for the last 13 years. His tone sucks. what a pitty.

Tripod wrote:

haha - what sort of tone are you after? he sounded pretty good to us who were there - he uses the treble switch and various pedals at times, but on the whole sounded as good as anyone else I've seen lately - it was a great performance...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEOmVt84MTQ

Still pitch perfect on those bends.... yikes  yikes

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

mikeb wrote:

Fantastic tone in my book! I wish I could've been there.

What amp did he use? Pedalboard?

Bluesbreaker wrote:
mikeb wrote:

Fantastic tone in my book! I wish I could've been there.

What amp did he use? Pedalboard?

He was using a Marshall amp/cab and I guess he has a regular pedalboard he uses - probably more info on his own forum............................he had loads of guitars lined up but only used the Firebird for the first couple of tunes and then onto the trusty Les Paul for the rest of the evening

I have to confess I was secretly hoping Gary would get stroppy with someone or something and I wasn't disappointed. To be honest I don't blame him. The photographer in question was using a "professional" camera with a BIG flash so it must have been quite off-putting. I too believed Gary when he said he would go down and sort the bloke out if he didn't *%!$* stop. He then called him a [naughty word that's just about the only word still forbidden on British TV]. Strong stuff.

Eldo and Wooders have given the full rundown and Pete's video gives you a good idea so I won't add much more. The atmosphere was hot, loud, cramped and sweaty and that was just on stage  wink

Jessicat, yeah we were propped up like sardines on the stairs. It was very uncomfortable but we did have a good view.

I'm not sure about this tone thing all you guitarist go on about but it sounded mighty good to me. My only gripe would be that I can't see what the shredding in the middle of a slow number like Parisienne Walkways brings to the party but that's just me. Otherwise, I felt privileged to see a guitar legend in such an intimate atmosphere.

eldo56 wrote:

He was using a Marshall amp/cab and I guess he has a regular pedalboard he uses - probably more info on his own forum............................he had loads of guitars lined up but only used the Firebird for the first couple of tunes and then onto the trusty Les Paul for the rest of the evening

Could anyone be more specific? What Marshall amp? DSL? What pedals? Nerdy gear questions, I know.

JESSICAT wrote:
jeffcope wrote:

A great show last night. Loved the venue, first time there. Someone at the front with a camera
got the verbals from Mr Moore. I won't repeat it on this forum.

One draw back was the pratt of a woman at the bar who kept standing on her stool. I would
personally remove all barstools when there is such a large crowd.

But as I said, I thouroughly enjoyed it, and look forward to going back to CSB again.

Hope other forum members had a good time.

Where were you lot stood?  I didn't see any woman on a stool! I saw two groups of men who could have been from the forum.  One sitting on the seats on the far left of the stage and the other stood in the middle singing along to Joe's songs before the action started!
I was sitting on a bar stool at the bottom of the stairs, minded by Gary's management and a couple of other guys  wink

We were standing by the bar, about half way, next to to the woman on the stool who was bouncing up and down like zebedee

To Live's To Fly

There's No No doubting Gary is one of The Finest Guitarists ever, Real Wonderous Tone and Clarity
and that seemed such a cool place to see him, small intimate and sweaty Blues Club
Seen him at Hammy Odeon twice back in the 80's and he was on fire in his Rock/Rock/Blues days
Just wished the man would smile once in while and seemed like he was enjoying it
and no encore, plus he called the photograper WHAT!,  is that a new song "see you next tuesday blues" yikes
Bad For You Baby as phil says is a class crisp blues cd, and one of Gary's best, essential purchase
One day i'd like to see Joe trade solo's with Gary, methinks it would be ENTERTAINING
Then again i could be WRONG  wink
Glad all the Joe fans enjoyed this intimate show, there's always some somewhere at some Blues show LOL

....................... Michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

eldo56 wrote:
Tripod wrote:

haha - what sort of tone are you after? he sounded pretty good to us who were there - he uses the treble switch and various pedals at times, but on the whole sounded as good as anyone else I've seen lately - it was a great performance...............

compare his actual tone with the one from the early 90's. that was a good tone.

michael, maybe they could trade solos at the high voltage festival. i think it would be far more interesting than joe's duel with clapton.

70 (edited by Pete The Cabby 2010-04-08 22:55:11)

Michael wrote:

Just wished the man would smile once in while and seemed like he was enjoying it...........
....................... Michael

...you are so right!... the only disappointment of the night for me was when Gary walked up the stairs past me and all the other fans... looking like a man walking up to the gallows..what a great shame!.. he could have easily smiled and held a palm aloft and slapped a few hands on the way up as he passed... but hey!... thats Gary... you love him, hate him a little bit... but still love him!

..anyway!... i`ve just posted Parisienne Walkways up on Youtube, it took me a while to get this right.... i missed the start of this song as i was waiting and saving myself for the encore which the stroppy old git deprived us of for whatever reason... hence the start is a live version of Parisienne Walkways over some black and white snippets of vid`that i took but when you see the vid` turn to colour thats live on the night!!!... Gary actually raises half a smile towards the audience at one point... and not the band!!!... anyway, sorry about that but its still i nice watch!

...would be interested to see if any Henrik fans spot what i have called the Henrik lick at about halfway!?.. Gary uses it a couple of times i think!?.... i think Mr Moore has a copy of `Recorded By Martin Meinschaffer` too!... ;-))

...here`s the vid`!.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoTy15UXD6w

...posted earlier was Still Got The Blues... this looked good on my PC at the time but has not quite uploaded as i would have liked... tried to get a haunting feel to a haunting emotive song but it never came out quite right... anyway here is that link for those that have not seen it yet..

...errrr!... and Mr Moore!... lighten up!... your fans love you!... just send a little bit back now and then... rock on!

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Thats another great vid Pete (Parisienne) - and what great tone  lol - you're right, Gary def needs to go on that course I suggested, but hey, some artists are like that, he's not alone. Shame all the same...............

Bonjour,

Thanks for posting Parisienne Walkways... and the other two vids.

Gary has obviously a lot on his mind...

Met Gary for the first time in Dublin at an RTE Christmas due (lived there for 6 years in the 90's).

Last time (October 2009) I saw him in Edinburgh, his playing was simply magic!!