Re: Gary Moore @ Charlotte Street Blues 6th April 2010

Hi there
I saw the gig on here
http://www.garymoorefc.com/en/forum/vie … &t=120
Usually a good place to be if you want to know what's going on with Gary before even his official website sometimes!

TO LOVE IS TO LISTEN TO LISTEN IS TO LOVE

http://www.garymoorefc.com/en/news_futureplans2011

Wow, interesting first an all originals all blues CD then the long awaited Celtic Rock project....

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

i can't wait to listen to the new blues album!!

I'm hoping - and expecting - to be listening to some of it about this time tomorrow tongue

...currently having to communicate with morse code and a dog whistle...

..- .--.-... -... .-.. --- --- -.. -.-- .-.. --- ..- -..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Pete The Cabby wrote:

...currently having to communicate with morse code and a dog whistle...

..- .--.-... -... .-.. --- --- -.. -.-- .-.. --- ..- -..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete are you intimating it was loud??

Review please??? neutral

It was great - loud but great - my wife says I'm partially deaf anyway, so those days of ears ringing whilst trying to get to sleep seem to be gone - Gary opened with Oh Pretty Woman, followed by the uptempo Bad for you Baby - we then had the unfortunate incident of Gary having to tell a couple of photographers, in no uncertain manner, to stop the photos - he maybe needs to go on the Building Positive Ralationships course as he could have handled this better, but I guess its his way of putting a stop to it with immediate effect. All the old classics were aired, including Too Tired, Walking By Myself, Since I Met You Baby, Still Got The Blues plus a few more. The place was packed but it was great to be able to see him play in such a small venue. We were 10 feet from stage, which is only about 15 feet wide. He is still one of the hottest guitarists around, which for a guy of 58 years, isn't bad. His playing is still relentless and he can introduce more feel to his playing with ease and then get back on the gas with the speed stuff - no encore, but a fantastic night all the same and well worth attending - Wooders will be back with a more in depth report and I hope Pete the Cabby will be uploading some vids, pronto.............

A great show last night. Loved the venue, first time there. Someone at the front with a camera
got the verbals from Mr Moore. I won't repeat it on this forum.

One draw back was the pratt of a woman at the bar who kept standing on her stool. I would
personally remove all barstools when there is such a large crowd.

But as I said, I thouroughly enjoyed it, and look forward to going back to CSB again.

Hope other forum members had a good time.

To Live's To Fly

eldo56 wrote:

we then had the unfortunate incident of Gary having to tell a couple of photographers, in no uncertain manner, to stop the photos - he maybe needs to go on the Building Positive Ralationships course as he could have handled this better, but I guess its his way of putting a stop to it with immediate effect.

lol  lol

Ah so the quick middle finger was definitely in action......(in ALL possible ways) lol  lol  lol

Nice review Simon and there’s not much for me to add. I totally agree with Simon’s comment about Mr Moore’s manners. He threatened to go down into the audience and sort out the offender and I wouldn’t have been surprised if he had. His surname should be Moody not Moore.

Well, it’s been nearly 40 years since I last saw GM and we’ve both changed a lot in the intervening years. I’m not sure who fate has been kinder to but he’s certainly eaten a lot of junk food and picked a few fights too many. lol He had interesting shirt on that started out purple and turned black as the set progressed. lol

There’s no doubt, however, that he is one of the finest blues guitarists still alive and I’m pleased to say that there was very little of the self-indulgent shredding that, according to many, has marred his recent performances. Indeed, the setlist was predominantly blues material and much of it well known. Consequently it went down very well with the sell out crowd.

It took three numbers, during which his vocals were almost completely incoherent, for the PA to be sorted out. The sound was much improved from All Your Love onwards, but as expected very loud. Not too loud that I needed my ear plugs, however.

I suspected that this gig would be a memorable one and I’m very pleased to say it was. I really feel it will be one of those performances where I’ll be able to say “I was there” in the years to come.

For the record, the setlist was:

1.    Pretty Woman
2.    Bad For You Baby (the title track from his current CD)
3.    Down The Line (also from Bad 4 U)
4.    All Your Love (a very slow bluesy version)
5.    Since I Met You
6.    Have You Heard (the John Mayall song – thanks Duncan)
7.    I Love You More Than You’ll Ever Know (from Bad 4 U)
8.    Too Tired
9.    Still Got The Blues
10.    Walking By Myself
11.    Parisienne Walkways

If you haven't got Bad For You Baby, I recommend it highly.

Great to meet up with David, Pete, Simon and Valley Boy. The second highlight of my evening was being driven to my train station in the back of Pete’s taxi and sitting on the same seat that Joe had sat on. big_smile

Another bonus was that TBOJH was played on the PA both before and after GM’s set.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Thx guys, wish i HAD been there.... sad

Which guitars used in which tunes???

mikeb wrote:

Firebird for the first couple, then the same Les Paul all the way through to the end of Still Got The Blues. Different Les Paul (flamier top) for the last 2 numbers - the tone he got with Les Paul he used for most of the set was, in my never very humble opinion, horrible - markedly improved for the last two.

downbytheriver wrote:
mikeb wrote:

Firebird for the first couple, then the same Les Paul all the way through to the end of Still Got The Blues. Different Les Paul (flamier top) for the last 2 numbers - the tone he got with Les Paul he used for most of the set was, in my never very humble opinion, horrible - markedly improved for the last two.

Therefore not the amp but the Paul/PUP combination???

mikeb wrote:
downbytheriver wrote:
mikeb wrote:

Therefore not the amp but the Paul/PUP combination???

That's quite a modest change over in guitars for Gary, I'm surprised!  smile

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

You are right Duncan last two times I saw him he used seven each night..... Lots of ear bleeding Telecaster riffage as a matter of fact.....

jeffcope wrote:

A great show last night. Loved the venue, first time there. Someone at the front with a camera
got the verbals from Mr Moore. I won't repeat it on this forum.

One draw back was the pratt of a woman at the bar who kept standing on her stool. I would
personally remove all barstools when there is such a large crowd.

But as I said, I thouroughly enjoyed it, and look forward to going back to CSB again.

Hope other forum members had a good time.

Where were you lot stood?  I didn't see any woman on a stool! I saw two groups of men who could have been from the forum.  One sitting on the seats on the far left of the stage and the other stood in the middle singing along to Joe's songs before the action started!
I was sitting on a bar stool at the bottom of the stairs, minded by Gary's management and a couple of other guys  wink

...here ya go Eldo... just for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xRi4DMgPUw

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller