Topic: Wah pedals

After 35 years of playing guitar, I'm going to buy a wah. I've tried several of the Dunlops which sound good but they all seem noisy. I have two questions: 1) has anybody heard a good sounding wah that isn't noisy? 2) has anybody tried powering any of the Dunlop Cry Babies using their TU-2? I'm running six additional pedals with my TU-2 with no significant noise. Just wondered if it might quieten down the wah.

Blessings,
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

2 (edited by gsj 2006-12-06 11:33:36)

Re: Wah pedals

Morley wah pedals are noise free as they work with what is basically a light sensor instead of a potentiometer. It's usually the pot that causes the noise because the track inside either wears or collects dirt and dust. You can try cleaning it with Superservisol switch cleaner (never ever ever use WD40). Morleys also have true bypass so they don't affect your tone but.....and it's a big BUT....they're generally considered to not have a good a sound as a Dunlop wah. The sweep isn't as wide as well.

As for the TU2....it should be fine but if you run too many pedals from it at once you'll draw more miiliamps than the TU2 can provide.  Each pedal should show it's milliamp rating. The Boss can run to 200ma. I don't see how the TU2 will make the wah quieter though. Hope this helps.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

I have owned both Morley wahs and VOX.  I got rid of the Morley.

The Morley, although quiet, did not have the low end growl or the hig end scream I needed out of a wah. The range was pretty middle and did not soar either way.

I chopped the rubber stoppers off my Vox wah for more distance, and put in true bias and could not be happier. Don't know if it is quieter, but have not noticed it being noiser either...

hope this helps.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I use just a standard Vox V847 wah and have never had a single problem with it- plus, the battery lasts forever on it... But get a Vox- best wahs out there... and they're not too expensive...

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Anyone here like Teese Wahs? I've heard lots of good things about them.

Right now I have a Vox which has been modded to true bypass although its out of action because I think it might need a new pot, its lost all of its sweep. The main thing I don't like about it which is probably because of the TB mod is that when I turn it on the signal cuts out for a second.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

Thanks for the stories and advice. After doing some web research I made a field trip to Guitar Center and took home a Dunlop Cry Baby Classic which has some different voodoo from the standard, yet not all the bells and whistles of some of the others. It's not true bypass, but it really doesn't seem to suck gain or add much color, and the TU-2 runs it just fine. I really like the sweep--not to shrill at the top but nasty middy at the bottom.

Thanks again for your responses. Excuse me while I go play "White Room" for an hour or so.

Blessings,
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

larryt wrote:

Thanks for the stories and advice. After doing some web research I made a field trip to Guitar Center and took home a Dunlop Cry Baby Classic which has some different voodoo from the standard, yet not all the bells and whistles of some of the others. It's not true bypass, but it really doesn't seem to suck gain or add much color, and the TU-2 runs it just fine. I really like the sweep--not to shrill at the top but nasty middy at the bottom.

Thanks again for your responses. Excuse me while I go play "White Room" for an hour or so.

Blessings,
Larry

Congrats- have some fun with it!

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

true. and you'll never know till you take it home.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Hey Larry,

In my eyes the Fulltone Clyde Wah is the best you can get. I would never ever sell mine - have compared it to so many different wahs and it was always outstanding, better sounding....

Give it a try a least, I guess it will convince you.

Greetz
Jimi75